• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
I was going to pick a reasonable Hart candidate for Toronto, then I realized they didn't have one.

Kessel is obviously never gonna happen but if say Tavares or Toews played for Toronto you bet the hype train would be running.

Toews deserves it more in my mind.

Someone made the point a few pages ago that the resurgence of the islanders into playoff contention was due to the second line.

fuck, Bobrovsky deserves it more than Crosby

ZeroGravity

Someone made the point a few pages ago that the resurgence of the islanders into playoff contention was due to the second line.

The Islanders still wouldn't have been a playoff team without Tavares though.

Goalies tend suffer in Hart talks since they have their own dedicated award.

I agree though.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
because there's a Kate Upton thread in OT, here's a gif that's still held under my ctrl-V

kate-upton-bouncy-o.gif

Penguin fans are not allowed to enjoy.

calder

The notion of "value" in determining who the league's best player is just stupid and infects every sport unlucky enough to have an award called "most valuable player". Last year's AL MVP award was just hilarious as a result.

And to think, it all stems from hockey writers not really liking Mario as much as they liked the older and more media friendly Gretzky and looking for a reason to give Wayne the Hart the first season Mario had the nerve to be the best player in hockey. "Oh wait, it says most VALUABLE player, and Gretz has all those intangibles!"

Alucard

Banned
Would having two media-voted MVP awards dilute things? The Hart for MVP to his team, and one for BPL aka best player in the league?

Ricker

Okay now that my ;) Habs are gone,I will cheer for the Leafs...a long shot I know but I could never cheer for the Bruins,I mean it's a rivalry with the Habs almost as strong as it was with the Nordiques back in the day...so Go Leafs.

Marvie_3

Banned
My mistake, I glazed over the media voted part.

Which would invalidate the Art Ross too.

The Ted Lindsay isn't voted on by the media either, it's voted on by the NHLPA. My point was that the RR isn't an MVP trophy at all. There's very little crossover with the RR winner and the Hart/TL winners. The Art Ross, even though it isn't voted on, is almost a 2nd MVP trophy because whoever wins it wins the Hart. Not every year of course, but it's happened a lot more lately than it did in the 90s.

Alucard

Banned
Crosby will easily take the Ted Lindsay award this season. Of the three Hart candidates, Tavares should probably get that.

Another media-voted best player award might dilute things a fair bit I suppose.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, give Tavares the MVP TO HIS TEAM. Aka Hart. And give Crosby the Lindsay if you have to give him something.

Really don't think anyone can argue against Crosby getting the Lindsay award. He was clearly head and shoulders above everyone this season...not even from a Pens homer perspective.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Prust had a rib separate from its cartilage in game 4. Left OT in extreme pain and pushed the rib back in himself.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Habs beat reporter is about to file a story on it. Also I know it has nothing to do with why they lost, just sounds painful.

Montresor

Fraser. =(

Liles better step it up. He brings a completely different dimension to his game. Hopefully his offensive skill comes in handy getting out of our zone.

MacAttack

Fraser. =(

Liles better step it up. He brings a completely different dimension to his game. Hopefully his offensive skill comes in handy getting out of our zone.
I'm hoping the Bruins having the last change allows Chara to neutralize Kessel a little more. Carlyle did a good job of sneaking Dough Boy on and off the ice at home where the Bruins couldn't match up and Kessel absolutely torched the Bruins defense on the outside.

It's a tough situation for the Leafs because they need to use their speed to keep the pressure on the Bruins but it usually leads to defensive breakdowns that allow the Bruins to move the puck across the neutral zone with relative ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom