• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck Ottawa.
Clean or not, you don't try to kill a player. If you see if a guy is vulnerable, use your common sense.

It's an open ice hit opportunity...of course they're going to take it. If a Habs player (Subban) saw a player vulnerable like that, you can bet 10/10 he will make that hit.

ShaneB

Fuck Ottawa.
Clean or not, you don't try to kill a player. If you see if a guy is vulnerable, use your common sense.

:*( This is what bothers me. Great hits are great. But when a player KNOWS his hit is going to be brutal, I wish players would take more care in their fellow man. "oh but then I'd be out of a job!!" Boo. fuckin hoo.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Head was point of contact. That's illegal. End of period.

Except for the fact that intent matters.....

Eller was hunched over trying to receive that shit Diaz pass. Shouldn't have even been a 2 mins penalty.

Holiday

Banned
:*( This is what bothers me. Great hits are great. But when a player KNOWS his hit is going to be brutal, I wish players would take more care in their fellow man. "oh but then I'd be out of a job!!" Boo. fuckin hoo.

How does this apply to the Gryba hit?

I'm pro hitting, against dumbass hits too make you look tough. Sure it was a dumb pass by Diaz, doesn't mean you should try to knock someone out

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
There was zero fucking intent there.

Except for the fact that intent matters.....

Eller was hunched over trying to receive that shit Diaz pass. Shouldn't have even been a 2 mins penalty.

You can't hit a guy in the fucking head, it's a blindside hit, if you can't get that through your brain then stop watching hockey.

Fuck hockey. I just want to hear that he's alright. That was a nasty collision with the ice. He faceplanted while unconscious.
I'm tired of seeing this shit in the BC, so angry right now.

ShaneB

How does this apply to the Gryba hit?

Eller was incredibly vulnerable. It was a god awful pass yes,I've been on the recieving end of suicide pass hits, they're not fun. Gryba knew his hit would destroy him. A skilled player would just take the puck and have a smart takeaway that could lead to an offensive play.

edit: Not to mention the safety issues of heads hitting the ice like that if that was the case, which seems quite likely.

CAPS AGAIN!!!! YYEEEESS

Curufinwe

RDS said he's lost several teeth falling on the ice.

Terrible. I guess a mouth guard can only do so much. Watching the hit again on TV in slow mo makes me think he was knocked out by the hit and the head was the main point of contact. He didn't really try to break his fall.

I linked to an interesting new ESPN article about Lindros in the offseason thread today. Unfortunately, it just got even more relevant.

Fei

The Eller hit is pretty similar to the Umberger hit in '06. Really bad pass leading to decimation, except worse for Eller since he landed on his face. Terrible, but Umberger returned after only missing one game. Hopefully it's not as bad as it looked.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
You can't hit a guy in the fucking head, it's a blindside hit, if you can't get that through your brain then stop watching hockey.

I'm tired of seeing this shit in the BC, so angry right now.

Right, superhuman Gryba should have used his superhuman senses to sense that Eller was gonna be in a vulnerable in a split second before that hit *rolls eyes*

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hank had no idea that shot even happened. You can tell on the replay where he snaps his head as soon as the horn goes off.

Holiday

Banned
Eller was incredibly vulnerable. Gryba knew his hit would destroy him. A skilled player would just take the puck and have a smart takeaway that could lead to an offensive play.

I must have missed the thought bubble above Gryba's head that said "I'm going to injure this poor bastard!"

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Slow-mo replay says different.

Smurfs running Andy?

Unleash Lehner and concuss them all.
No it doesn't, go watch it again.

I'm going to assume Eller's done for the year, I just hope it's not too serious and he can be back and healthy next season.

CrankyJay

Banned
The Eller hit is pretty similar to the Umberger hit in '06. Really bad pass leading to decimation, except worse for Eller since he landed on his face. Terrible, but Umberger returned after only missing one game. Hopefully it's not as bad as it looked.

And Soupy didn't get penalized for that. Now the NHL penalizes the outcome and not the hit itself.

Umberger was drooling after that hit.

Solo

Hopefully that initial report of broken nose + concussion doesn't get any worse.

Eller is a damn good kid. Forget about hockey. In his episode of Nos Canadiens last season you could see what a solid fucking kid he is. Head on his shoulders. Started to cry when talking about his mother (who is afraid to fly and thus has never seen him play in the NHL).

Lars :_(

ShaneB

I must have missed the thought bubble above Gryba's head that said "I'm going to injure this poor bastard!"

Oh come on, don't be so dense. When you go in for a hit like that, your intention is full well to lay the player out. They're not out there hugging each other for fucks sakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom