• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL PlayOffs |OT| Keep your hopes up, and your salt on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys have no sense of the speed of the game. You don't play in slow motion and decide "hmmm this player seems too vulnerable". You train your whole career as a D Man to take that shot. Unfortunate result but every D Man in the league makes that hit.

After listening to Shanahan describe how his office reviews hits, I'll be very surprised if there is supplemental discipline. It doesn't look at all like intentional targeting of the head.

Thanks for the link, bardia.

Fei

And Soupy didn't get penalized for that. Now the NHL penalizes the outcome and not the hit itself.

Umberger was drooling after that hit.

I thought of that, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a hit to the head penalty back then.

And yeah, Umberger was a hot mess after that hit.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
No it doesn't, go watch it again.

I'm going to assume Eller's done for the year, I just hope it's not too serious and he can be back and healthy next season.

Yes it does.

Beautiful hit like Campbell on Burger.

Tampons are buy one get one at Safeway Habs fans go stock up you'll need them.

Holiday

Banned
Oh come on, don't be so dense. When you go in for a hit like that, your intention is full well to lay the player out. They're not out there hugging each other for fucks sakes.

:*( This is what bothers me. Great hits are great. But when a player KNOWS his hit is going to be brutal, I wish players would take more care in their fellow man. "oh but then I'd be out of a job!!" Boo. fuckin hoo.

Let's play "Spot the Contradiction."

EDIT: also, "lay out" doesn't mean "intent to injure." Nothing dirty, just very very unfortunate.

You guys have no sense of the speed of the game. You don't play in slow motion and decide "hmmm this player seems too vulnerable". You train your whole career as a D Man to take that shot. Unfortunate result but every D Man in the league makes that hit.
Yup. It's either take the hit or risk the breakaway.

Socreges

Banned
Head was point of contact. That's illegal. End of period.
So, this is the language at play:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.
Seeing it again, I don't think Eller actually put himself in a vulnerable position "immediately prior to" the hit. In other words, the onus should be on Gryba since he went for the hit and essentially 'missed' but caught Eller in the head with his shoulder (ie, not because of some sudden shift by Eller).

But listening to CBC panel I'm getting the impression that it won't be seen that way by the head office.

I'm rooting for the Sens here, if anyone, so I'd like to think I'm seeing this objectively.

ShaneB

Let's play "Spot the Contradiction."

My hugging comment is purely sarcastic, and "taking care of their fellow man" means not taking each others heads off.

edit: I like physical hockey, hell I love MMA, so I seem like a contradiction sometimes, but there's no denying that there are plenty of hits that players know they shouldn't deliver.

CrankyJay

Banned
I thought of that, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a hit to the head penalty back then.

And yeah, Umberger was a hot mess after that hit.

Today Soupy would have been penalized because Umberger got hurt, despite the hit being textbook. NHL needs to get their shit together.

Head shots weren't taken seriously until the leagues Golden Boy, Crosby, got laid out. Even after Chris Neil's hit on Drury there was no rule made.

I hope Eller is okay tho.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it does.

Beautiful hit like Campbell on Burger.

Tampons are buy one get one at Safeway Habs fans go stock up you'll need them.

Shoulder to head, frankly I don't care about a suspension at this point, I just want Eller to be okay, but the head was the principal point of contact, intent or no.

BY2K

Membero Americo
27 shot for Montreal in the second period alone. 41 in total

7 shot by Ottawa in the second period. 19 in total.

Jesus Christ.

Curufinwe

So, this is the language at play:

Seeing it again, I don't think Eller actually put himself in a vulnerable position "immediately prior to" the hit. In other words, the onus should be on Gryba since he went for the hit and essentially 'missed' but caught Eller in the head with his shoulder (ie, not because of some sudden shift by Eller).

I agree. The shoulder makes contact with the head and the head did not move into that vulnerable position just prior to the hit. I don't think Gryba was really trying to inflict injury with a dirty hit, but players have to be responsible for their headshots if the NHL wants to make player safety a priority.

Heat of the moment huh? That's a shitty defense you got there.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Shut up Phillips, Gallagher is just going to go right back to the front of the net anyway.

These fucking linesmen.

Socreges

Banned
Looked like it deflected

After listening to Shanahan describe how his office reviews hits, I'll be very surprised if there is supplemental discipline. It doesn't look at all like intentional targeting of the head.

Thanks for the link, bardia.
Then what is? I don't think it was premeditated (ie, Gryba went in hoping to connect with the head), but there was no change in Eller's trajectory and Gryba caught him squarely in the head. You've got to call that intentional targeting or the term doesn't mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom