• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Match penalty is only suspension indefinitely pending NHL review as far as I am aware. I would expect them to review it well before game 6 and I don't think a suspension sticks.

Penalty plenty warranted, but a suspension for such a crosscheck deserves more intent than that. I don't have a gif handy but I dont think sissons was even looking at Olli when the crosscheck to the face happened, it just so happened that Olli was bent forward from the tussle.

Though if Maatta's nose is broken...

bill0527

Total Bullshit. Matta cross checked him in the back twice first and then fell forward into Scissons when he went for a third shove and got hit in the nose right when Scissons shoved him back.

Meanwhile in LA-LA land, Crosby gets to play ping-pong with a guy's head on the ice all the while looking around making sure no linesman or refs are looking at him, and then gets to throw a water bottle on the ice because, hey Fuck You, I'm Sidney Crosby.

I'll save you the trouble...

1.jpg

Meanwhile in LA-LA land, Crosby gets to play ping-pong with a guy's head on the ice all the while looking around making sure no linesman or refs are looking at him, and then gets to throw a water bottle on the ice because, hey Fuck You, I'm Sidney Crosby.

You mean where Subban drops his stick and goes for the leg? The ref letting that slide (and really these have been going on all playoffs) was dumb, both players were idiots there, but it was definitely not one sided.

Alucard

Banned
I need Soc's hottake on #Crosbangate. I expect he sees the two sides of the issue that most people are capable of seeing if they remove their hatred of Crosby and/or Subban from the equation.

I feel like any level head hockey fan will agree that play was a perfect encapsulation of whats wrong with officiating in the playoffs. There's a scuffle, takedown and then head slamming all while the ref calmly glides over. I've seen this happening all playoffs, coupled with the constant slashing, cross checking and boarding calls that don't get whistled.

We always direct our hatred at players but we should be more vocal towards the officiating for it's completely unbalanced approach to calling stuff.

Alucard

Banned
I feel like any level head hockey fan will agree that play was a perfect encapsulation of whats wrong with officiating in the playoffs. There's a scuffle, takedown and then head slamming all while the ref calmly glides over. I've seen this happening all playoffs, coupled with the constant slashing, cross checking and boarding calls that don't get whistled.

We always direct our hatred at players but we should be more vocal towards the officiating for it's completely unbalanced approach to calling stuff.

Just life in the NHL since time immemorial, unfortunately. Can't remember, but didn't both guys get penalties on the play, or was that later?

#playoffs #letthemplay

Just life in the NHL since time immemorial, unfortunately. Can't remember, but didn't both guys get penalties on the play, or was that later?

I unfortunately missed the game, but i believe it resulted in a 4v4

#playoffs #letthemplay

Yepppp

I'm all for aggressive play, but when stuff goes this unchecked or unbalanced it almost always ends up in someone getting hurt in some capacity.

Cake Boss

Banned
The concussion lawsuit lawyers were jerking off watching last night's game, so much material. Sticks breaking on faces, heads being slammed on the ice repeatedly by the face of the league.

Champagne bottles were popped yesterday at some lawyers house.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Total Bullshit. Matta cross checked him in the back twice first and then fell forward into Scissons when he went for a third shove and got hit in the nose right when Scissons shoved him back.

I'll save you the trouble...

1.jpg

Yep that's what happened. You neglect to talk about subban keeping their tie up going since he's the one that was actually tying them up and kept his clench. And Crosby totally wasn't just looking up in disbelief making sure no one blamed him

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What kind of mental gymnastics does one have to do to consider "holding a leg" or "he shot the puck into the other team's net during warmup" even in the same universe as "repeatedly bashing someone's head into the ice"?

Alucard

Banned
What kind of mental gymnastics does one have to do to consider "holding a leg" or "he shot the puck into the other team's net during warmup" even in the same universe as "repeatedly bashing someone's head into the ice"?

The word "bash" makes it sound like he had murderous intent or something. "Rubbed his visor into the ice surface" is a bit more realistic. Did Subban say anything about the incident afterwards? Wondering if fans are caring more about this than the actual players.

j-wood

Pens fans are great at that sport apparently

Smiley90

The word "bash" makes it sound like he had murderous intent or something. "Rubbed his visor into the ice surface" is a bit more realistic. Did Subban say anything about the incident afterwards? Wondering if fans are caring more about this than the actual players.

"Rubbed his visor"

Would you say shea weber "gently laid zetterberg's head to rest on the boards" a few years ago?

j-wood

Oh come on this isn't just Pens fan. Any time something happens to a team that isn't a call the homer fan erupts.

I'm not sitting here saying Crosby should be suspended. Fact on that play is Crosby is on top of subban, shoving his head repeatedly into the ice and getting a few punches in. Should have been a power play for the Preds, not 4 on 4. Was Subban holding his leg? Yeah looks like it, but it also looks like he was barely moving, so the fact that Subban was also penalized there is absurd.

Cake Boss

Banned

1323635452001.png

I'm not sitting here saying Crosby should be suspended. Fact on that play is Crosby is on top of subban, shoving his head repeatedly into the ice and getting a few punches in. Should have been a power play for the Preds, not 4 on 4. Was Subban holding his leg? Yeah looks like it, but it also looks like he was barely moving, so the fact that Subban was also penalized there is absurd.

I'm not arguing Crosby here, just the "mental gymnastics" part of the comment. Fan bases everywhere get blinders when stuff happens to their team and very seldom come at stuff with level headed approaches.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
No suspension for Sissons.

Not that it matters, since Ellis might be hurt and the Pens have been getting better by the game and even if the Preds win Game 6 they can't do shit at PPG Paints.

Holiday

Banned
Crosby should have received 2 for roughing, but to say he was slamming or crosschecking Subban's head into the ice overstates the violence, in my opinion

Sanjuro

Crosby should have received 2 for roughing, but to say he was slamming or crosschecking Subban's head into the ice overstates the violence, in my opinion

Yeah, it was one of the best moments of last night's game. The rivalry they have going this series has been great. You could tell Subban was just prone looking for the call.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Man, I never knew hockey fans have become so sensitive. Sid pushes some guy's helmet into the ice, receives a penalty for it, and yet people act as if he should be banned from the sport. Last time I checked, this was hockey.

Smiley90

Man, I never knew hockey fans have become so sensitive. Sid pushes some guy's helmet into the ice, receives a penalty for it, and yet people act as if he should be banned from the sport. Last time I checked, this was hockey.

The problem people have is that it resulted in a 4on4. Saying "he got a penalty for it" kind of misrepresents it.

What Crosby did (punch a guy's head into the ice repeatedly) was worse than what subban did (hold a guy's lef) and the ref was staring right at it and it still resulted in a 4on4.

And i'll make sure to say "last time i checked this was hockey" next time, too.

Nobody's saying Crosby should be suspended - just that the people saying "subban deserved it" and "what subban did was equally bad!" Are full of shit. Even the biggest homer should be able to say that the Perds shouldve gotten a PP out of that.

I'm loving this more than I probably should. All the smirking glee at the abuse Crosby's head has gotten in playoffs over the last several years but now everyone is an overly concerned player safety advocate.

a916

The problem people have is that it resulted in a 4on4. Saying "he got a penalty for it" kind of misrepresents it.

What Crosby did (punch a guy's head into the ice repeatedly) was worse than what subban did (hold a guy's lef) and the ref was staring right at it and it still resulted in a 4on4.

And i'll make sure to say "last time i checked this was hockey" next time, too.

Nobody's saying Crosby should be suspended - just that the people saying "subban deserved it" and "what subban did was equally bad!" Are full of shit. Even the biggest homer should be able to say that the Perds shouldve gotten a PP out of that.

He should've gotten an extra two, I agree. A double minor for roughing to put the Predators up a man. Putting the teams 4on4 seems disproportionate.

I'm loving this more than I probably should. All the smirking glee at the abuse Crosby's head has gotten in playoffs over the last several years but now everyone is an overly concerned player safety advocate.

Well said. PK obviously had a tight grasp on Sid's leg and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it hurt, to the point where Sid took to extraordinary (some might say excessive) measures to free himself instead of getting a leg injury.

I highly doubt any of it would have happened if PK didn't have a hold on his leg.

mindatlarge

I'm a Pens fan, but I wouldn't call what Sid did "rubbing his visor into the ice". You can see PK does have his leg locked, but I don't think that justifies what Sid did here. But again, it's hockey, so who knows. An extra penalty or more severe penalty on Sid should have been called though if it was noticed by a ref.

Other than that, on to game 6.

crosby-subban-business.gif

imBask

Banned
again i'm suuuure Alucard would be just as calm and composed if the player on the ice was Crosby, and the player doing the bashing was Brad Marchand

I'm a Pens fan, but I wouldn't call what Cid did "rubbing his visor into the ice". You can see PK does have his leg locked, but I don't think that justifies what Cid did here. But again, it's hockey, so who knows. An extra penalty or more severe penalty on Cid should have been called though if it was noticed by a ref.

Other than that, on to game 6.
hes yanking and pulling at his stick and each time he does it pulls his hand back down on subban. Its a 2 minute roughing call due to the recklessness of it, as is holding stick and holding the leg. 4v4 was the right call.

Refs shouldnt let shit like this go on as long as it does.

Alucard

Banned
again i'm suuuure Alucard would be just as calm and composed if the player on the ice was Crosby, and the player doing the bashing was Brad Marchand

I didn't freak out about the Niskanen hit that concussed Crosby earlier in the playoffs. Was a stupid accident that could've been perceived as malicious. This Subban BS isn't nearly as serious and doesn't warrant the attention it's getting. Lemieux had guys spearing him and hanging off his back all the time in the 90s. (That said, the 90s had some shitty metrics for what counted as a legal hit or move)

That said, Marchand is a piece of pesky human garbage. :)

Alucard

Banned
Plus the THUG Subban flips him over at the end, risking another Crosby head injury. Inexcusable and quite frankly presumptuous.

Don't forget Subban holding Crosby's head under his arm ready to drop a ddt on him once they both got up. And then Subban shoving him away. Sid's in his head, man. Shouldn't have gone the Listerine route.

This is just gamesmanship. Subban was being a sneaky bastard by clearly holding onto Crosby's stick and leg to prevent him from getting back in the play, and Crosby was a sneaky bastard punching at his helmet while pretending he wanted to get his arm and stick free.

PillarEN

There is massive difference between shoving a persons face in shit and grabbing their head and slamming it into the boards. Even Eric Lindros would not get a micro concussion Crosby's shoves. Pretty much every single body check that sends you to the ice is much bigger deal than what Crosby did in terms of safety.

I don't think Sid or PK give a damn anyway. After this series is over that's the last thing they will remember on the losing side. "I can't believe I shook his hand after shoving my face that one time" "Oh it really frustrates me that he held my leg to take me out of the play that one time". Both of these guys aren't that petty.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Subban is already the bad guy, saying anything other than "it's hockey" would have the media attacking even more than they already do.

For the record, offsetting minors is absolutely the right call, but bullshit like "he was just trying to get up" or "he was gently rubbing his visor" needs to be called out.

Top Bottom