• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup Final |OT| Beat LA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joshua Jackson could be the new coach.

After a modest career that ends in a brutal injury Charlie Conway, depressed and newly divorced, decides to repay a favor when asked by his former coach and mentor Gordon Bombay to coach a team of misfits from the inner city of Los Angeles.

After a modest career that ends in a brutal injury Charlie Conway, depressed and newly divorced, decides to repay a favor when asked by his former coach and mentor Gordon Bombay to coach a team of misfits from the inner city of Los Angeles.

Dustin Brown drives the kids to and from games
In his Toyota Highlander

Dustin Brown drives the kids to and from games
In his Toyota Highlander

The way to play it off though is to have two different leagues, one in Beverly Hills (and the west side) an the other in and around LA proper, the latter loses funding and has to disband. Bombay puts together the team but he can't coach because of some movie story BS.

Now you have call backs to the first movie and the classes between the teams.

The way to play it off though is to have two different leagues, one in Beverly Hills (and the west side) an the other in and around LA proper, the latter loses funding and has to disband. Bombay puts together the team but he can't coach because of some movie story BS.

Now you have call backs to the first movie and the classes between the teams.

Super team from two sides of town?

tumblr_n4i7t3Kepc1qduh7lo1_500.gif

I smell a hit. Or was that Acid's weed?

I doubt Emilio would come back. He only does work now and again, I think he did a movie about Robert Kennedy awhile back.

Easy to fix. After a semi-successful Pro career New of Gordon Bombay's passing makes Charlie return to his hometown for the funeral. There he meets with and runs into a few members of the old team. After the funeral he starts wandering, reminiscing on old times and finds himself at the pond where he sees a couple kids with beat up sticks and no pads shooting pucks into an empty trash barrel. Charlie asks the kids why they don't play for the team and it's revealed that Duckworth pulled his sponsorship years ago. Unable to afford to play, the team fell apart and now their district has no team, opponents getting a by-week where they'd usually face the Ducks. With the memory of Bombay's influence fresh in his mind, Charlie heads to the league and offers to fund and coach the team himself but there's one problem. The season is a short way away and no kids from his district have signed up. With the help of the two kids he met at the pond, Charlie has to recruit a new group of rag tag kids and teach them that they can overcome any odds because Ducks fly together.

Boom. Straight to DvD Disney movie.

Edit: Not only beat by Kaep, his summary is way more to the point. lol.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Id watch it. And kenan teaches his knucklepuck to one of the kids.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

also now you know how we felt about AV, Rangers-GAF. He's a great coach when things go well, but he does NOTHING when things go bad. Or at least he has no idea of what he could do.

This was honestly a major positive with him in the regular season. AV basically staying the course and keeping an even keel is pretty much the sole reason (aside from the team, and especially the D, finally coming to grips with the new system) why the team turned around from utter dogshit at the start of the season to one of the best teams in the league after Christmas.

In a series like this, though, where every second is magnified and each game is like a month's worth of regular season games crushed into one, it becomes a major liability. He can make adjustments between games and have it work out great (we've seen it many times in these playoffs), but when it comes to making adjustments on the fly during the course of a game, he's nigh on clueless. Whenever you see AV messing with lines and deviating from the usual routine to try to "spark something," it's pretty much a guaranteed loss. It means he's panicking and doesn't really know what to do to fix it. The team usually loses confidence and panics in that scenario, too. You saw a bit of that in the third period tonight. A stark contrast to Sutter, who seems to be a master of mixing things up to get what he wants.

I really love what AV has brought to this team, he's been the exact right demeanor for this group, and I think his contribution to this run has been massively underrated, but his inability to pro-actively right the ship while in the flow of a game is a major weakness in his approach.

Clydefrog

This series is, so far, a highlight reel of the Kings' previous three series.

Get blown out early against San Jose (except they won this one)
Barely tie it against Anaheim
Win comfortably away at Chicago

What happens in game 4?

What happens in game 4?

a meteor crashes into the Kings' dressing room before the game, hopefully.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

What happens in game 4?

a meteor crashes into the Kings' dressing room before the game, hopefully.

One of these things is not like the other.

Only one of the four teams mentioned is a shitstain on the NHL's shit-covered... wait...

Booshka

It's too bad the schedule doesn't work out so that the Kings can win during E3 so I get to hear the LA fans celebrating in the background of a Giantbomb live show like back in 2010 with the Lakers. Not that you would hear much because most of LA doesn't care about Hockey, but it would still be funny.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The only acceptable plot for a new Mighty Ducks movie is one in which Corey Perry reminds a disillusioned Gordon Bombay and Charlie Conway what it means to be a Duck. The rest will write itself, just start shooting.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
2012:
Game 1: LAK OT win
Game 2: LAK OT win
Game 3: Quick SO win

2014:
Game 1: LAK OT win
Game 2: LAK OT win
Game 3: Quick SO win

Also, just looking back at the stats, it looks like every King who registered a point in the 2012 SCF is still on the team. That's pretty crazy.

2012:

Also, just looking back at the stats, it looks like every King who registered a point in the 2012 SCF is still on the team. That's pretty crazy.

Except Penner and Scuderi the team is pretty much the same. Gaborik was a great pick up and Pearson I don't think played at all in 2012. Nolan has been benched for Pearson since Nolan is soo slow.

NAME?!

allow me to impregnate her

Alex Curry she works for fox sports covering the kings and angels.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Except Penner and Scuderi the team is pretty much the same. Gaborik was a great pick up and Pearson I don't think played at all in 2012. Nolan has been benched for Pearson since Nolan is soo slow.

Gaborik has been the difference between, to use an example indicative of the greater picture, getting swept by the Ducks in the regular season and beating the Ducks in the playoffs.

Giggzy

No Man's Sky looks fucking incredible.

I'm confused on what the actual point of the game is. Exploration is fun and all, but what else?

Also the fact that it's being made by a 3 man team (i think) and it's procedurally generated makes me want to keep my hype in check. Sounds too ambitious to be honest. I hope I'm wrong.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused on what the actual point of the game is. Exploration is fun and all, but what else?

Also the fact that it's being made by a 3 man team (i think) and it's procedurally generated makes me want to keep my hype in check. Sounds too ambitious to be honest. I hope I'm wrong.

This is how I'm approaching it. Procedurally generated anything is a big turnoff for me, but the interplanetary travel looks awesome.

I'm not going to disparage action games here but I think having another fucking game where conflict/violence drives narrative would be a waste of time. That's why No Man's Sky has been able to carve out such a reaction from people, both trailers they've shown have put any sort of combat in the back seat. I also think having fewer people around to muddle the vision of the game is a very strong positive.

Giggzy

I'm not going to disparage action games here but I think having another fucking game where conflict/violence drives narrative would be a waste of time. That's why No Man's Sky has been able to carve out such a reaction out of people, both trailers they've shown have put any sort of combat in the back seat. I also think having fewer people around to muddy the vision of the game is a very strong positive.

I completely agree with everything you've said. I really hope it turns out well. I'm just keeping my own expectations in check, if not my mind goes wild about all the possibilities this game can achieve.

zroid

Banned
yea I agree with you guys about it seeming really ambitious... it is a little concerning since it's tough to get a handle on how well the procedural algorithm works until the game is released and people have spent a lot of time with it. is it going to get old super fast, or what?

I really want to believe it will live up to its promise though. if nothing else it's nice to see devs trying to make something truly unique.

I completely agree with everything you've said. I really hope it turns out well. I'm just keeping my own expectations in check, if not my mind goes wild about all the possibilities this game can achieve.

Honestly if they are (assuming it's coming to PC) mod friendly.. there's so much that could be done with systems like these being exposed and configurable.

Giggzy

Honestly if they are (assuming it's coming to PC) mod friendly.. there's so much that could be done with systems like these being exposed and configurable.

That's actually a good point that I didn't think of. The modding community would have a blast with this game.

yea I agree with you guys about it seeming really ambitious... it is a little concerning since it's tough to get a handle on how well the procedural algorithm works until the game is released and people have spent a lot of time with it. is it going to get old super fast, or what?

I really want to believe it will live up to its promise though. if nothing else it's nice to see devs trying to make something truly unique.

There are definitely a lot of questions to the game play. I ope the social features are there, exploring a planet with a friend, or visiting a friends planet etc etc. I also want more on the combat aspect in space. The AI involved looked pretty basic for the fighters (early in dev so I'm not worried yet). Will there be combat between players? What are the roles of all the other ships in the trailers? etc etc etc. There is alot of questions that can make the game flounder but the premise alone makes me excited.

yyzjohn

Banned
It would really be a miracle for the Rangers to come back from down 0-3 against this team and win the Cup.

Imagine if that happened though, LA was down 0-3 in the first round and ended up winning that series, it would be unimaginable if they started the playoffs winning a series down 0-3 to start and then losing the final up 3-0 to start.

That Rangers power play... juggle the personnel or something. Chemistry means nothing when the Kings know exactly how to defend it. They also seem to lack a big shot from the point; I assume Diaz has a good shot but it's probably not worth sitting someone else just to trot him out for a few minutes.

Also someone should tell Nash that power moves don't work 1v3.

Mully

You might want to take up a new hobby until September.

Looking at Cecily Strong pictures will last me until September right, RIGHT?

Man this might be worse than 2004 and 2001. Or it could be fucking 2009 (All Yankee stuff)! Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom