• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL13 EASHL - Natural Born Penalty Killers |OT2| Cheese, Chimps and Championships

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Myself, Viz, and Delryk are on

Delryks being a chimp and looking for weird gifs

Red_Man

Sorry about those last games, I played like shit, a buddy unexpectedly came over and that's why I wasn't talking.

Red_Man

I am? Didnt know that! Heh
We waited for you for 10 mins so I assumed that's all you could be doing.

Be on later if anyone else is down for games, I won't be able to play tomorrow night so I'd like to get some games in tonight.

moop1167

I will probably be on later. Going to a happy hour and event for work in a sec but going to call it an early night in terms of boozing. Should be on at my usual weekend time.

Red_Man

GG's tonight.

Viz and myself were talking the other night of coming up with some PP set plays, seeing as we just kind of run and gun it right now. Maybe go with some umbrella type setup or something else, whatever you guys feel comfortable with.

moop1167

GG's tonight.

Viz and myself were talking the other night of coming up with some PP set plays, seeing as we just kind of run and gun it right now. Maybe go with some umbrella type setup or something else, whatever you guys feel comfortable with.

I would be nervous if we did an umbrella setup only because if a puck gets knocked loose toward our zone only one guy will be back. Or if that guy gets it at the blue line and it gets poked... so much random shit happens.

Doesn't even show my lead-up patience before I pull the puck around the D to pass.

blame EA, their replays suck

I would be nervous if we did an umbrella setup only because if a puck gets knocked loose toward our zone only one guy will be back. Or if that guy gets it at the blue line and it gets poked... so much random shit happens.

yea I don't know how doable it is

I've been adapting my tactics on powerplays lately to look for screen and tip goals opportunities and we've come closer on both. If we have 3 forwards on, I think its a must that one (probably the Center) just sets up in the crease in front of the goalie and causes havoc

Red_Man

I can do that, I just feel more comfortable making plays from the boards, but we can give it a shot. I noticed you sitting on the point and waiting the other team forwards tonight Viz, seemed to work better.

I can do that, I just feel more comfortable making plays from the boards, but we can give it a shot. I noticed you sitting on the point and waiting the other team forwards tonight Viz, seemed to work better.

Yea I'm gonna be a bit more patient at the point and try to make better decisions

I had a bad habit of pretty much deciding before the faceoff was won whether to quick pass across, up the boards or to try to make someone miss and get to the high slot.

Now I'm gonna try to read where the pressure comes from most of the time and dish it off accordingly. The one nuance I've discovered to this is if I wait too long I need to make sure I do the self board pin to let the defender go by rather that trying a late move to get free. A quick board play then immediate let go and move up the boards once the guy engages u has been working really well. The wingers should try this tactic out sometime as its usually a better option in tight as opposed to the "tank turning" the game gives u.

Red_Man

I need to do board pinning more often too, Aces has brought it up before but I pretty much never do it, it's just never been part of my game. I'm finally getting really comfortable with being right handed, and it feels like I'm making better passes, easier to the left handed guys.

Milly79

Board pinning is pretty cheesy, especially since you know at least 70% of the time the guys are gonna fly right past you.

Red_Man

That's part of why I avoided it, combined with how small my dude is, and use the poke check better anyways. I'm down for a few afternoon games if others are.

Stat!

I need to do board pinning more often too, Aces has brought it up before but I pretty much never do it, it's just never been part of my game. I'm finally getting really comfortable with being right handed, and it feels like I'm making better passes, easier to the left handed guys.

Board pinning is pretty cheesy, especially since you know at least 70% of the time the guys are gonna fly right past you.

I only use it on the defensive side of the puck. Very rarely, do I use it on offense.

Its defense only. For me, it does take me out of the play, but it takes them out too. If they're in our zone, twirling around behind the net, it's a good play to "stop" them. Same with if he's along the boards, I can't get my stick there without tripping him, and I can tie him up before he makes that pass. Generally, someone else is there to pick up the puck and it can be a solid play defensively from time to time. I've had a few scoring chances because I've tied up a guy and stolen the puck quickly.

It has its uses. Its not a play that you would use every time or even be a "go-to" play but on occasion I do.

PS: If anyone is up for afternoon games, I'm on now.

That's part of why I avoided it, combined with how small my dude is, and use the poke check better anyways. I'm down for a few afternoon games if others are.

I only use it on the defensive side of the puck. Very rarely, do I use it on offense.

in the past I've looked at it as cheesy

but since they botched the skating engine to prevent you from changing directions quickly this year from a standstill I dont lose sleep at night self board pinning while I have the puck

its really effective and safe as they have to be extremely lucky to poke it loose as they are coming at you, otherwise they will need to "square up" and poke to have any chance of getting the puck and you are invulnerable from being checked to the ground as they just suction to you. In both cases I generally release the boardpin as soon as they lock on and get pretty much everytime.

Milly79

Last 2 were garbage...

Can't believe they scored 5 in the 3rd, 6 overall, 4 of which were the worst cheese goals I've ever seen. They took the "Aces" to level 1000000000000000000000000000.

Revenant

I'll be taking a long break until Rev disappears again...

There is no need to be upset

S1lpRTU2bFB5RTQx_o_dramatic-alpaca-funny-videocat-videos-that-are-.jpg

Red_Man

I should be on, might watch some of this charity game of Subbans and Stamkos'

Red_Man

GGs for the most part, a couple random bullshit but that's typical. Viz has a highlight of our new goal of the year too.

Stat!

Great games tonight guys. One of the best nights in a while and we got up to 90 in Elite. Clicking everywhere."

Last month we were 90-33-8. This month, already, we are 107-34-8.

Top Bottom