• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

pezzie

I mean, the art is beautiful, but I would have preferred a regular back cover to a piece of art with nothing on it.

Either way it's leagues better than the original cover.

I disagree, I like that the whole backside gets to be used for the artwork. It's so much more striking that way, without the superfluous information. The only thing I wanted was the PS4 logo on the spine so it would match the rest of the games on a shelf.

TissueBox

I mean, the art is beautiful, but I would have preferred a regular back cover to a piece of art with nothing on it.

Either way it's leagues better than the original cover.

Yeah I know what you mean, as it is a bit barren. xD That said it's got that minimalist style going for it I guess...and yeah definitely a mark above what came before it. >_<

Exentryk

got you covered too!
4821a7f2-306d-4330-baf6-7d02456ae15c.jpg

Oh they kept this artwork! Sweet!

I've been thinking about this game non-stop after getting the plat trophy yesterday. The degree to which I became attached to its characters and the detail put into its storytelling cannot be praised enough. It's the kind of stuff I really adore, especially so when it takes advantage of the medium's unique quirks as well as it does. Admittedly, I have some slight reservations about the lower mechanical complexity of its combat and some of the technical execution of the open world design, but it's often a game where its structural and worldbuilding ambitions exceed the technical polish. It ended up being a compromise I really got behind.

Oddly enough, its visual fidelity, approach to creating shortcuts, and use of massive visual landmarks to give the locations more presence gave me more Dark Souls 1 vibes than even the asynchronous body collecting stuff did. Couple those thoughts with extremely apt comparisons of work from other mediums that have been made here and in the spoiler thread and you've got a game that was way more up my alley than I expected.

I've been pretty fascinated by Yoko Taro's work for years, which has made me more than satisfied with the Platinum pairing as it finally got me to play through one of his games in full. It's a remarkably accomplished and empathetic work. I fuckin' loved it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. We'll all. Die together, and Become as. Gods.

Crayon

I've been thinking about this game non-stop after getting the plat trophy yesterday. The degree to which I became attached to its characters and the detail put into its storytelling cannot be praised enough. It's the kind of stuff I really adore, especially so when it takes advantage of the medium's unique quirks as well as it does. Admittedly, I have some slight reservations about the lower mechanical complexity of its combat and some of the technical execution of the open world design, but it's often a game where its structural and worldbuilding ambitions exceed the technical polish. It ended up being a compromise I really got behind.

Oddly enough, its visual fidelity, approach to creating shortcuts, and use of massive visual landmarks to give the locations more presence gave me more Dark Souls 1 vibes than even the asynchronous body collecting stuff did. Couple those thoughts with extremely apt comparisons of work from other mediums that have been made here and in the spoiler thread and you've got a game that was way more up my alley than I expected.

I've been pretty fascinated by Yoko Taro's work for years, which has made me more than satisfied with the Platinum pairing as it finally got me to play through one of his games in full. It's a remarkably accomplished and empathetic work. I fuckin' loved it.

What a great spoiler-free impression. Thanks for writing!

Squishy3

Welp, died in the third playthrough and didn't save after a certain point so I'm putting this on the backburner for now I guess with Zelda out. :lol

I'll come back to it and do the other endings soonish but I've no desire to play through that segment again right now.

Exentryk

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Hype rising!

got you covered too!
b48364eb-7da0-4fe0-b03f-d722f189ac74.jpg

4821a7f2-306d-4330-baf6-7d02456ae15c.jpg

Perfection. As others pointed out, it's great that the PS4 logo is represented so it won't look out of place in a collection, hated that about MGSV Ground Zeroes' alternate cover (weird that they didn't put an alternate cover on TPP, but I got mine from that big thread back in the day). I like the minimalism.

Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. Become as. Gods. We'll all. Die together, and Become as. Gods.

I don't know the context, but this seems a bit spoilery. Is there a need to post this, especially out of spoiler tags? Again, I can't tell if it is really hinting at anything without context, but I can make guesses and I'd prefer not to.

Thanks for the impressions. I am hoping the rest of the reviews line up with the game's current batch, because while I'm already sold on the game, I want this to get a bit of mainstream attention just by virtue of it's critical reception.

Still halfway through, but I've seen enough to be in full agreement with everything stated here.

The more I play of it, the more I am captivated by this game. It is far from flawless; I've said it before that this game wears its flaws on its sleeves, but even then, it feels very much a matter of "we've got not enough money or time", because where the game has polish and charm, you can tell Yoko Taro and Platinum went the extra mile to ensure the game feels wholesome, be it in its narrative quirks or strong writing.

It's already a great game on its own terms, but more than any other AAA game (though the producers said it's not a AAA budget game) in recent memory, this game feels like a game that :

- If it only had one more year of dev time/money, it would be a amazing game in all respects.
- If it had two more years/AAA money, this could be a masterpiece.

It has so much potential. The foundation is there. But the constraints is visible.

Still halfway through, but I've seen enough to be in full agreement with everything stated here.

The more I play of it, the more I am captivated by this game. It is far from flawless; I've said it before that this game wears its flaws on its sleeves, but even then, it feels very much a matter of "we've got not enough money or time", because where the game has polish and charm, you can tell Yoko Taro and Platinum went the extra mile to ensure the game feels wholesome, be it in its narrative quirks or strong writing.

It's already a great game on its own terms, but more than any other AAA game (though the producers said it's not a AAA budget game) in recent memory, this game feels like a game that :

- If it only had one more year of dev time/money, it would be a amazing game in all respects.
- If it had two more years/AAA money, this could be a masterpiece.

It has so much potential. The foundation is there. But the constraints is visible.

It's a testament to Platinum's management that they put together a game of this size, while also creating a new engine just for Nier in what seemed like a couple of years or so. If this is what they can do with what was probably a Star Ocean 5 sized production with SE, I really hope they get to collaborate with Yoko Taro again because this came across like a very confident foundation that allows both parties to shine.

I have to say, I'm enjoying 9S and his banter a lot more than I thought I would. 210's harsh but she's cute under the hard shell.

I really love how the game uses Route A & B as
two halves of the same story, but leaves 33% of the quests/progression locked for the second route.
Not to mention all the added content/exposition on prior events.

Makes it feel like you're always making progress and seeing something new.

I just wish I could turn off the Engine Blade text/dash effects, since it's currently my best 1H sword.

sobaka770

Banned
Hi guys, I'm interested in the game and everything I read sounds awesome about it, but I just have 2 questions(spoiler tag if sensitive):

- is it related to the original? Must I play it first to understand the plot?

- the whole true ending confuses me. I want to experience the story, with the best ending, but I don't like playing through the same game several times, nor look for obscure choices. I'm more of a Mass effect kind of guy, or at least Witcher 3 where I can quickly today all the major choices at the end. I just don't have time for other stuff. So how long is a single playthrough, and is it possible to experience the story in a single run?

Hi guys, I'm interested in the game and everything I read sounds awesome about it, but I just have 2 questions(spoiler tag if sensitive):

- the whole true ending confuses me. I want to experience the story, with the best ending, but I don't like playing through the same game several times, nor look for obscure choices. I'm more of a Mass effect kind of guy, or at least Witcher 3 where I can quickly today all the major choices at the end. I just don't have time for other stuff. So how long is a single playthrough, and is it possible to experience the story in a single run?

1) you don't have to, especially as most relevant events are covered in Automata

2) not possible to experience the whole story in a single run due to the route structure

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

1.You don't need to play the original to understand this game

2. That's just kinda how Yoko Taro games roll. Luckily you dont need to do any extra sub missions you might have done in previous runs to get the true ending. If you just want to run to story sections i've heard you can clear subsequent playthroughs in maybe half the time of your first

1. Answered in the OP FAQ.
  2. To experience the entire story, without side quests, you're looking at around 25+ hours. Around 8+ of that is Route B, where you (intentionally vague structure spoilers)
    experience Route A with brand new information, mechanics, etc. from a different perspective. After Route B, there is Route C before you reach the true ending. though C is different and almost entirely new. (From what I've heard.)

Milijango

Oh don't do this to me.

I still have a full seven days to go in my region.

DejectedAngel

Neo Member
Supposedly going to launch March 17th, here are specs:

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7 64-bit / Windows 8.1 64-bit / Windows 10 64-bit (32-bit OS not supported)
CPU: Intel Core i3 2100 or higher, AMD A8-6500 or higher
Memory: 4GB or higher free space
Hard-Disk / SSD: 50GB or higher
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 VRAM 2GB or higher / AMD Radeon R9 270X VRAM 2GB or higher
Sound Card: DirectX 11 or higher
Communication Environment: Broadband or higher
Screen Resolution: 1280×720
DirectX: DirectX 11
Other: Mouse, Keyboard, Gamepad (XInput-only)

Recommended:

OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit / Windows 10 64-bit (32-bit OS not supported)
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670 or higher, AMD A10-7850K or higher
Memory: 8GB or higher free space
Hard-Disk / SSD: 50GB or higher
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 VRAM 4GB or higher / AMD Radeon R9 380X VRAM 4GB or higher
Sound Card: DirectX 11 or higher
Communication Environment: Broadband or higher
Screen Resolution: 1920×1080
DirectX: DirectX 11
Other: Mouse, Keyboard, Gamepad (XInput-only)

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/nier-automat...uirements-appear-on-square-enix-support-site/

Unfortunately for me, this means my laptop cannot even get near playing this game (860m).

Gbraga

I preferred the japanese one in the demo, but there's a lot of dialogue during action sequences, and I definitely don't wanna risk missing anything, so I'm doing my first playthrough in english.

killatopak

Gold Member
Patches being done within days is a good thing. I hope they patch the performance issues as well before the western release.

Nier:Automata Article

So, now that Nier: Automata's finally done and dusted - it's been out in Japan a short while, with the Western release following next week - there's one question that should give us some indication of how it's all shaping up. How's the drinking been going?

"My doctor wasn't very happy about the condition of my liver. But I'm still drinking a lot. I might drop dead at any minute."

"The timing was amazing, miraculous," says Square Enix producer Yosuke Saito. "This collaboration was suggested when we'd just come up with the idea of making the Nier sequel a mobile game. We were inspired by Platinum Games - they were great fans of the first Nier, and their suggestion was remaking Nier as a Vita title. So we got two different projects together, and maybe the best option was doing a full console game."

Nier 2 as a mobile game? Taro says the original idea was along the lines of Farmville - something that surely would have gone down just swimmingly with the fans.

"Yeah, we're very glad we didn't go down that route," says Saito.

I still don't even know what happened in the other games and I just watched a full Playthrough of Nier the other day. What was that ending the protagonist erased himself from everyone's memory to save his daughter? And why was that chick in panties the whole game? And why...ya know, I think I'll just leave it alone lol.

Nier Automata did almost 200K in Japan though, that's pretty good I believe. Source is MCV

killatopak

Gold Member
I still don't even know what happened in the other games and I just watched a full Playthrough of Nier the other day. What was that ending the protagonist erased himself from everyone's memory to save his daughter? And why was that chick in panties the whole game? And why...ya know, I think I'll just leave it alone lol.

Nier Automata did almost 200K in Japan though, that's pretty good I believe. Source is MCV

I suggest you watch Clemp's analysis on NieR. It's full of details and condenses them up so anybody who haven't played the game can understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwEbOHo7Aw

GrayChild

Yeah, it's absolutely insane to think that a Nier/Yoko Taro game:

1. Already has two 10/10 reviews with possibly more to come.
2. Has outsold RE7 and Nioh in Japan when it comes to first-week sales.

Top Bottom