• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Oh, that's promising. Another good sci-fi story that's not just surface level "cool enemies/settings/weapons" futuristic stuff?

The way it explores its themes through its character work, structure, and mechanics has been on my mind a lot the past few days. It really rewards your investment the more you put into it.

There's a Text Log chip but I don't know how to access it...

I accidentally clicked advance while talking to Engels and I skipped a good chunk of the discussion where he talks about
wanting to see "Night"
- Can anyone sum up the discussion for me, or tell me how to access the text log?

TissueBox

Was listening to Gasoline by Halsey, this song fits quite well with the game thematically. They should use it in a trailer or something lol!!

Hektor

I accidentally clicked advance while talking to Engels and I skipped a good chunk of the discussion where he talks about
wanting to see "Night"
- Can anyone sum up the discussion for me, or tell me how to access the text log?

I can't help you with the conversation but the textlog chip refers to the log in the bottom right when picking up items and such, not to dialogue

Caim

wanting to see "Night"

Text log means all text that appears in the hud like drops, quest notifications and I'm assuming dialogue when it's currently happening on screen.

EDIT: Beaten.

Was listening to Gasoline by Halsey, this song fits quite well with the game thematically. They should use it in a trailer or something lol!!

Darn, now I want to check put this song but I feel like it'd spoil the themes. It's an odd dilemma to have. I'll try to remember to check it out after I finish the game.

TissueBox

Darn, now I want to check put this song but I feel like it'd spoil the themes. It's an odd dilemma to have. I'll try to remember to check it out after I finish the game.

Hah no real spoilery type stuff, mostly just a general relation which is why I think it coould maybe work as a trailer song (plus I really dig it o_o [and it's got 'em chills factor]), besides a couple explicit lyrics lol. xD I'd be tiptoeing around as much as I could in your shoes too though, avoiding spoilers in launch window periods ain't cakewalks. >_<

JPS Kai

I'm having issues finding Meteorites
to max out my level 4 weapons.

Yes, I've done the Half-Wit Inventor. He only sells Meteorite Shards and Alien Mask on A2's route. Should I wait until I have chapter select and jump back into 9S'?

ZoronMaro

Desert Rose is the main one I can think of, but that item is sidequest related though.

Weapon upgrading is pretty easy this time around honestly.

So you're saying if I do all the sidequests (which I was already planning on doing) it should have nothing to worry about? That's great.

Sidenote I love how the sidequests are the opposite of the original Nier's, where you usually had to gather a bunch of items and then you just got rewarded with lousy money (although Nier also had some amazing sidequests, 90% of them were this and it was trash). But in Automata anything that needs collected is marked right on the map and you're rewarded with money and items, and so far every sidequest I've done has had a cool story and background attached to it, there's no dude asking for a bunch of super rare items to unceremoniously build a house that you never see or hear from again or at least I hope there isn't.

E: I suppose I'll stay on the lookout for where to find Meteorites, pretty sure I already have a couple, but don't remember where from

Hah no real spoilery type stuff, mostly just a general relation which is why I think it coould maybe work as a trailer song (plus I really dig it o_o [and it's got 'em chills factor]), besides a couple explicit lyrics lol. xD I'd be tiptoeing around as much as I could in your shoes too though, avoiding spoilers in launch window periods ain't cakewalks. >_<

It's tough since I've been interested in the game since its announcement and it is finally nearly here but I don't have time to play it until almost the end of the month, and even then I feel like I need to play Nier before it, which will probably use up my entire week of break between college terms (and that's if I focus entirely on Nier, no BOTW or Horizon or Yakuza 0 etc.) so I'm very anxious to get it, but more anxious to find the time to finally play it.

I should probably quit NeoGAF cold turkey for at least the last three weeks of the college term I'm in now, but it's just impossible right now since I'm also anxiously looking for impressions from people who've played the Wii U version of BOTW to know if the performance problems are acceptable. But I also have to focus on the crunch of studying.. &#128555;

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm halfway through playthrough 2 and starting to burn out. If I was to make my 3rd playthrough the last, which ending should I go for to get the most out of the story? May watch the rest on youtube if they're required.

Setsu00

It took me until now to realize that the lyrics of the Japanese version of Weight of the World are almost 100% different...

DKF590

I don't have the time required for that

Looks like I'm going for ending E apparently. Is it standalone or should I view the other main endings first?

His advice is pretty much on point. If you finish your third playthrough the other main endings will come naturally and in a very very short amount of time.

Philippo

Can we have these please?

qPa33UtJ

Just beat Route B, 41 Hours Clocked, 68% Quest Completion.

Onto Routes
C & D
- hype hype hype.

Question: I couldn't find the
"E-Drug" that 9S gives you at the end
in my inventory/archives. What is it? If it's a spoiler just say so & don't answer.

Jiraiza

Just beat Route B, 41 Hours Clocked, 68% Quest Completion.

Onto Routes
C & D
- hype hype hype.

Question: I couldn't find the
"E-Drug" that 9S gives you at the end
in my inventory/archives. What is it? If it's a spoiler just say so & don't answer.

Just a drug. A trippy one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What is the thread title in reference to?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is the story like actually good or is it Vanquish/Bayonetta-style ridiculousness?

I'd probably say the story is not bat-shit insane but rather more (not really spoilerish i guess)
philosophical

ZoronMaro

Btw this may have been pointed out earlier in the thread, but what's the point in destroying chips?

I destroyed a bunch of useless ones assuming I'd get something, but nope nothing. Is there a point or should I just sell chips I won't use?

And as I'm writing this, now I wonder if maybe it's tied into the story at some point

raven777

Btw this may have been pointed out earlier in the thread, but what's the point in destroying chips?

I destroyed a bunch of useless ones assuming I'd get something, but nope nothing. Is there a point or should I just sell chips I won't use?

And as I'm writing this, now I wonder if maybe it's tied into the story at some point

I destroyed it when my inventory for chips were full and I needed to pick up new chips on the ground and the shop was nowhere near.

I will say that chip management is a huge pain in the ass. You get sooo many junk chips, and fusion can actually be counterproductive since it increases the cost of the chip, which means that you may not be able to fit it in anymore.

That and there are a few vastly superior chips
(time slowing chips, temporary invincibility after being hit chip, auto pickup chip)
while the rest end up being kind of bleh by the end of the game on Normal. I just used the aforementioned chips and some +speed chips to make my life easier.

The only time they really mattered was when I was trying to do level 50 quests at level 20, and I needed as many damage multipliers as possible.

Top Bottom