• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

raven777

Yeah, it's absolutely insane to think that a Nier/Yoko Taro game:

1. Already has two 10/10 reviews with possibly more to come.
2. Has outsold RE7 and Nioh in Japan when it comes to first-week sales.

The first week sales actually outsold the entire Nioh sales by some distance... although that's mostly due to how undershipped Nioh was in Japan.

I am curious how this will do in the west. Nioh's western sales have been brilliant but I wonder if Nier would follow the same road. Nioh certainly felt like a game that would appeal more to the western audience.

I still don't even know what happened in the other games and I just watched a full Playthrough of Nier the other day. What was that ending the protagonist erased himself from everyone's memory to save his daughter? And why was that chick in panties the whole game? And why...ya know, I think I'll just leave it alone lol.

Nier Automata did almost 200K in Japan though, that's pretty good I believe. Source is MCV

AH! Spoilers yo! I'm still trying to catch up. Only read a little bit but still!

ZoronMaro

So I found a giant egg and got PTSD style flashbacks of when I platinumed Nier. Are there any materials/areas I should be on the look out for so I can start focusing on getting them now? Because I'm definitely going to upgrade every weapon for those stories, but I'd rather have the material gathering spread out over the whole game and not all at the end.

E:Also that reversible box art is godly I've never seen reverse art keep the ps4 banner, now I'm probably going to double dip.

My bad son...lol I still don't know what happened, I tagged it

That's alright I guess. I already knew a bit more of Nier's story than I'd like, but I'm still pretty blind on most of it so I needed to say something so that you might spoiler tag it in an edit so others can't read it. I only read the first few words and now know a bit more than I did before but it's not too bad. Thanks for changing it.

BriGuy

Is it still possible to buy an English version of the game through PSN now? If so, how does one go about doing that? Since Amazon fucked me over pretty with the Switch this weekend, I need something to play with what's left of my day off. Thanks!

Is it still possible to buy an English version of the game through PSN now? If so, how does one go about doing that? Since Amazon fucked me over pretty with the Switch this weekend, I need something to play with what's left of my day off. Thanks!

The Japanese and Hong Kong versions are both in full English. HK version is cheaper. You just need to make an HK PSN account and buy a PSN card off of somewhere like Play-Asia.

killatopak

Gold Member
I bought a pro in Japan in January. Your best bet is to head to a small mom and pop shop. Geo and Yodobashi were sold out, but this tiny local shop where I love had several Pros.

Tried to find one in Fukuoka and looked at mom and pops store but to no avail. I'm gonna be trying to find one in my country.

I have three days left. To be honest I could have gotten the game early since all they sell in our stores are Asian versions but I decided to buy an NA copy and find a PS Pro in the meantime.

Off topic: I'm trying to decide which region I'll be playing mainly on. I got a lot of games through PS+ in my NA account but I stopped subbing a few years ago. Now there is a buy 12 months get 3 free on NA but on Asia there's a buy 12 months get one free game consisting of Bloodborne, FFXV and Titanfall 2. Which do you guys think is the better value?

Sami+

Yeah, it's absolutely insane to think that a Nier/Yoko Taro game:

1. Already has two 10/10 reviews with possibly more to come.
2. Has outsold RE7 and Nioh in Japan when it comes to first-week sales.

RE7?? NANI???

🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌🙉🙉

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sorry guys

I bought the collectible/max level trophies, heeh.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You finished it?

Actually I just finished it and it's like I played a PS1 Squaresoft quality game.

Yes, I really liked the game.

LotusHD

Banned
What's the best playthrough I can watch for the first Nier. I was watching one, but meh, felt like he kept dragging around, that there has to be something better than this.

Caim

So I found a giant egg and got PTSD style flashbacks of when I platinumed Nier. Are there any materials/areas I should be on the look out for so I can start focusing on getting them now? Because I'm definitely going to upgrade every weapon for those stories, but I'd rather have the material gathering spread out over the whole game and not all at the end.

E:Also that reversible box art is godly I've never seen reverse art keep the ps4 banner, now I'm probably going to double dip.

Desert Rose is the main one I can think of, but that item is sidequest related though.

Weapon upgrading is pretty easy this time around honestly.

Hektor

Loved the demo, thinking of pre-ordering

How's the enemy variety, and is the world interesting to explore?

Asthetically the enemies all are robots like you know from the demo, so not a lot, altho they do have different looks across the world.

From a gameplay perspective the enemy variety is good imho, lots of different enemies with different moves, altho there's of course a lot of overleap between the different robot units.

The world isn't really all that interesting to explore, it's primarily a stage for the main- and sidequets, but you can find some stuff here and there.

Did they delayed the PS4 Version?
Got an email from Amazon Germany, telling me the Limited Edition is now releasing on march 17th.
Standard Edition still shows march 10th release date.

Hope it's just a mistake.

killatopak

Gold Member
Got an email from Amazon Germany, telling me the Limited Edition is now releasing on march 17th.

March 10 is the leaked pc release

March 17 is the actual PC release.

Maybe it's a mistake. Or you got the pc version.

Hektor

The Limited Edition was unpurchasable on amazon.de for some time. Either the entire shipment of the LE got in fact delayed, or it was sold out and now they're getting a new one at a later date

Horizon ZD Vanilla version got a similar issue

Majmun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIeVc1yE4TY

SyvRolM.gif

March 10 is the leaked pc release

March 17 is the actual PC release.

Maybe it's a mistake. Or you got the pc version.

I double and triple checked. Definitely ordered the PS4 Limited Edition.

The Limited Edition was unpurchasable on amazon.de for some time. Either the entire shipment of the LE got in fact delayed, or it was sold out and now they're getting a new one at a later date

Horizon ZD Vanilla version got a similar issue

Hm, i think i pre-ordered pretty early.
You could still pre order for a few days, after i did.
Maybe they are just confused, because of the PC date, and mixed stuff up.

"The timing was amazing, miraculous," says Square Enix producer Yosuke Saito. "This collaboration was suggested when we'd just come up with the idea of making the Nier sequel a mobile game. We were inspired by Platinum Games - they were great fans of the first Nier, and their suggestion was remaking Nier as a Vita title. So we got two different projects together, and maybe the best option was doing a full console game."

Nier 2 as a mobile game? Taro says the original idea was along the lines of Farmville - something that surely would have gone down just swimmingly with the fans.

"Yeah, we're very glad we didn't go down that route," says Saito.

Jesus...

Asthetically the enemies all are robots like you know from the demo, so not a lot, altho they do have different looks across the world.

From a gameplay perspective the enemy variety is good imho, lots of different enemies with different moves, altho there's of course a lot of overleap between the different robot units.

The world isn't really all that interesting to explore, it's primarily a stage for the main- and sidequets, but you can find some stuff here and there.

Adding to this because I largely agree, I'm not sure if I'd say the incentives the game gives you to explore are that strong; however, I found the window dressing of the setting to be pretty aesthetically interesting to traverse. Each zone is so distinct from the last that I still felt compelled to see all their nooks and crannies, as well as how they occasionally overlapped.

Is the story like actually good or is it Vanquish/Bayonetta-style ridiculousness?

Very good. It's got a great deal of stuff you might like a lot, knowing your interest in games like SOMA.

Adding to this because I largely agree, I'm not sure if I'd say the incentives the game gives you to explore are that strong; however, I found the window dressing of the setting to be pretty aesthetically interesting to traverse. Each zone is so distinct from the last that I still felt compelled to see all their nooks and crannies, as well as how they occasionally overlapped.

Very good. It's got a great deal of stuff you might like a lot, knowing your interest in games like SOMA.
Oh, that's promising. Another good sci-fi story that's not just surface level "cool enemies/settings/weapons" futuristic stuff?

Ah, don't want commentary though. :(

EDIT: Think I found a satisfactory one. Also, Nier is sooooo much more appealing than D3 story-wise.

Yea, playing through Drakengard 3 for the first time right now. Its cool, but Nier blew me away.

Also make sure the vid you're watching isn't just one playthrough.

Majmun

Deathhhhhhhhh, I think I just spoiled myself by listening to the OST LMAO

Did I just listened to Emil's theme???

I'm actually more excited now!

killatopak

Gold Member
No, never have

I'm not really qualified to answer your question since I haven't played the game but from what I've read in this thread from those who finished the game, the story is very thought provoking and you can't stop thinking about the game even after you've finished it.

A Yoko Taro game is generally weird and he almost always tries to defy tropes. Like in Drakengard 1 where most people are used to killing stuff on games, he tries to portray it from a viewpoint of a protagonist who enjoys killing. On Nier, he tries to tell you that you don't necessarily have to be evil to do bad things, you just have to believe that you're doing good things.

If you want more in depth explanation in the universe of Yoko Taro, I suggest watching clemps analysis of NieR on Youtube. Shameless plug cause I really like his vids.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Is the story like actually good or is it Vanquish/Bayonetta-style ridiculousness?

I would argue Yoko Taro's stories are the best in the entire gaming industry period both western and Japanese. This game is def NOT a Platinum silly Vanquish/Bayonetta/MGR type scenario

A Yoko Taro game is closer to to Spec Ops the line or Undertale in how it delivers its themes.

Deathhhhhhhhh, I think I just spoiled myself by listening to the OST LMAO

Did I just listened to Emil's theme???

I'm actually more excited now!

heh.

Top Bottom