• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

DKL

Checkpointing and high damage just don't seem like it would make for a good time here, especially based off of the impressions other users have been posting.

Oh ok. Whats the cutoff for that? Normal or hard?

I mean, now that I have done more of Hard, you can indeed counteract high damage and one shots with upgrades, but everything still hits like a truck and the restarts can be infuriating, especially if you don't know when the next save or check point is going to be.

I was looking at the Dogura video posted in the thread and even the video maker and the people in the comments sections had their doubts about Very Hard lol

But yeah, I'd love Very Hard if the checkpoints and runbacks weren't so ridiculous. As it is, I can't remember the last time a game was so ballbustingly difficult for both fair and unfair reasons :v

That said, I think the standard for difficulty in an action game is like... how many times you are getting hit and using items to make up for your fraudulence.

I can confirm that I used all the health items on my hard playthrough lol

Some of these hits are from design reasons: for example, there's a
slow motion
mechanic in the game, but it doesn't work like how you think it would since there are still active hit boxes from the enemies during this mode... which is not how this thing has historically worked, if you look at games like Bayonetta or whatever. You can work around it, but it requires more effort on the part of the player.

Jiraiza

Oh ok. Whats the cutoff for that? Normal or hard?

Hard can be infuriating if you don't build the right chips to deal with the one-shotting enemies. It's not particularly a big deal in the first half, but the bosses in the later half are guaranteed one-hit kill encounters if you don't stay up to level/chipped properly. And by half, I mean in the context of the first playthrough. The playthroughs after the first are a lot easier for reasons you'll see.

On another note, if any of you guys happen to browse the toxic cancer that is the Steam community, I advise not doing so. Spoiler bombs. Don't ask me why I was there. I was just curious, I swear.

DKL

On another note, if any of you guys happen to browse the toxic cancer that is the Steam community, I advise not doing so. Spoiler bombs. Don't ask me why I was there. I was just curious, I swear.

When's funny steam reviews tho

I love those.

Question: I've seen people ask if they should (potential spoiler?)
back up their save
. Just answer yes or no, is this for... familiar reasons?

FrankWza

I mean, now that I have done more of Hard, you can indeed counteract high damage and one shots with upgrades, but everything still hits like a truck and the restarts can be infuriating, especially if you don't know when the next save or check point is going to be.

I was looking at the Dogura video posted in the thread and even the video maker and the people in the comments sections had their doubts about Very Hard lol

But yeah, I'd love Very Hard if the checkpoints and runbacks weren't so ridiculous. As it is, I can't remember the last time a game was so ballbustingly difficult for both fair and unfair reasons :v

That said, I think the standard for difficulty in an action game is like... how many times you are getting hit and using items to make up for your fraudulence.

I can confirm that I used all the health items on my hard playthrough lol

Some of these hits are from design reasons: for example, there's a
slow motion
mechanic in the game, but it doesn't work like how you think it would since there are still active hit boxes from the enemies during this mode... which is not how this thing has historically worked, if you look at games like Bayonetta or whatever. You can work around it, but it requires more effort on the part of the player.

Hard can be infuriating if you don't build the right chips to deal with the one-shotting enemies. It's not particularly a big deal in the first half, but the bosses in the later half are guaranteed one-hit kill encounters if you don't stay up to level/chipped properly. And by half, I mean in the context of the first playthrough. The playthroughs after the first are a lot easier for reasons you'll see.

Thanks for explaining.

Pc is locked at 1080p 60fps.

If you have a pro or feel that the base version won't turn you off then go ahead and buy it now.

IMO you should just go ahead and finish Horizon and Zelda first since you already have them.

I don't have a pro and there's not way I'm gonna finish Horizon and Zelda before Tuesday so I think I'll get the steam version.

Samaritan

So for anyone who purchased the Auto Pickup Item plug-in chip during the A Route, did it disappear from your inventory once getting into the B Route like it did for me? Am I going to have to wait and buy it again? Such a shame if so, as it was really convenient. :<

ZoronMaro

So for anyone who purchased the Auto Pickup Item plug-in chip during the A Route, did it disappear from your inventory once getting into the B Route like it did for me? Am I going to have to wait and buy it again? Such a shame if so, as it was really convenient. :<

I actually just started route B and I had it from the beginning along with all the other chips.

We'll have to wait and see

Hmm. I wouldn't get my hopes up. I've just seen that this album is not sold out japan.

And DLC is usually region locked.

For me if I knew that the japanese version contains full english support I would have preordered from the japanese PSN store. I still have to wait 5 more days here.

Halfway through route C I think, one of the (many) things that I absolutely adore about this game is how it brings in the vocal versions of tracks when you either get into combat or talk to someone in that area - did the original NieR do this?

Not to mention when unique tracks play after certain moments.

Either way it's actually incredible.

Philippo

I really liked the Amazarashi track, does it play in the game? A yes or no will suffice.

Also, has anybody tried Vita remote play? How are the controls?

addik

It's really cool how (mild bosses spoiler)
bosses are named after philosophers in the game. Just found it a neat thing especially with how they handled the E3 boss

JPS Kai

Got the platinum last night and
sent my wish off into the world.

Whenever you feel despair and can't go on, I hope that my wish can reach you.

Same. Mine has been in my city for 2 days. It's UPS. So they go by their damn schedule instead of the USPS who will just deliver it when they get it
Is yours being delivered by UPS or the USPS? My status shows UPS Surepost, which means UPS will drop it off to the USPS, who will in turn deliver to me :/ so unless the USPS gets it super early tomorrow to deliver, I'll be getting it on Tuesday it looks like. Oh well, I got spoiled with FFXV being delivered the Saturday before launch and that was with free shipping.

LotusHD

Banned
Finished the Nier playthrough, going through the analysis videos now. I really liked it, Kaine and Weiss in particular are indeed awesome.

True Fire

It's crazy how much the two NieR songs improve Final Fantasy XV. If Tabata had the right idea he'd add an entire album of NieR + Automata songs to XV.

Top Bottom