• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
Just skipped through it but it looks like it's skipping Kaines entire backstory

I knew it was missing something! Kept hearing about the whole
text adventure or w/e that hints at her being a hermaphrodite and her relationship with her grandmother, but I'm like wait, I don't recall ever seeing it...

killatopak

Gold Member
I knew it was missing something! Kept hearing about the whole
text adventure or w/e that hints at her being a hermaphrodite and her relationship with her grandmother, but I'm like wait, I don't recall ever seeing it...
I think that's right after emil cures her petrification

Slater

Banned
Any play through of Nier that skips Kaine's backstory is trash, It's one of the most compelling parts of the game easily and gives soooooo much important context and depth to her.

bobawesome

Just ordered a copy of the game after playing the demo. I feel like a sucker for not picking up the first game when it was so cheap. Now I'm hunting around trying to find a reasonably priced copy.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Halfway through route C I think, one of the (many) things that I absolutely adore about this game is how it brings in the vocal versions of tracks when you either get into combat or talk to someone in that area - did the original NieR do this?

Not to mention when unique tracks play after certain moments.

Either way it's actually incredible.

Yeah the original game did that. Infact it was so popular in the original Nier, FF13-2 copied the idea.

For the people trying to get up to speed dont forget to look at Clemp's Drakengard vids first guys(atleast watch the drakengard 1 videos), he segways right into his Nier videos neatly

Someone posted this in the review thread
pTApMDZ.gif
I can't think of any other character action that has such fluid balletic combat. The smoothness of the animations, the way moves just flow together and how you seamlessly switch between weapons

I can wait to dive into the combat. The demo completely sold me on that aspect of the game. Not even Bayonetta or MGSR or DMC felt as smooth

Jiraiza

I can't think of any other character action that such fluid balletic combat. The smoothness of the animations, the way moves just flow together and how you do seamlessly switch between weapons

I can wait to dive into the combat. The demo completely sold me on that aspect of the game. Not even Bayonetta or MGSR or DMC felt as smooth

To be honest, those GIFs aren't combos you'd really do on a normal playthrough (I didn't, at least), but the options are there for you which is what makes it fun.

I can't think of any other character action that such fluid balletic combat. The smoothness of the animations, the way moves just flow together and how you do seamlessly switch between weapons

Just remember it's nowhere as deep as Bayonetta or MGR. Platnium light is more like it, but at the same time you have lots of options to customize and play with. You should check out Donguri's combo videos. Spoils tho...it warns on playables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofvWDfNInQ

But in general as I mentioned, 2B is just a real pleasure to control in and outside of combat.

Just remember it's nowhere as deep as Bayonetta or MGR. Platnium light is more like it, but at the same time you have lots of options to customize and play with. You should check out Donguri's combo videos. Spoils tho...it warns on playables

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofvWDfNInQ

But in general as I mentioned, 2B is just a real pleasure to control in and outside of combat.
Oh, I prefer simple but cool with some depth over the kind of mastery needed in Bayonetta. Looking stylish doing cool moves is half the appeal

Squire

Banned
Yeah the original game did that. Infact it was so popular in the original Nier, FF13-2 copied the idea.

For the people trying to get up to speed dont forget to look at Clemp's Drakengard vids first guys(atleast watch the drakengard 1 videos), he segways right into his Nier videos neatly

I actually recommend people check out the 13-2 OST if you're like me and just like your JRPG OSTs with more vocals. There's nothing there as good as what you'll find in Nier or Persona, but I really do love the tracks in that game with vocals. In general it's the series most experimental OST since X-2. It's great.

I actually recommend people check out the 13-2 OST if you're like me and just like your JRPG OSTs with more vocals. There's nothing there as good as what you'll find in Nier or Persona, but I really do love the tracks in that game with vocals. In general it's the series most experimental OST since X-2. It's great.

I was listening to the Automata OST on youtube, and the autoplay feature ended up playing this song from XV. I honestly thought it was from Automata before I checked the tab because I didn't recognize it. It almost makes me want to play XV.

Started the recommended Youtube video for catching up with Nier but that doesn't feel right for someone who was so into Drakengard initially...going to just start it up on 360 and see how far I get. Nier Automata has a sale +1 already even if I delay starting.

Only one I'll watch a video for later is Drak 3, as never got a PS3.

I actually still need to beat it myself, but I don't think I can stomach the story anymore after playing Nier.

I could definitely see that happening. I'm glad Persona doesn't come out for another month, so I can hopefully get some distance from Nier.

Started the recommended Youtube video for catching up with Nier but that doesn't feel right for someone who was so into Drakengard initially...going to just start it up on 360 and see how far I get. Nier Automata has a sale +1 already even if I delay starting.

Only one I'll watch a video for later is Drak 3, as never got a PS3.

If you can't stomach the game, I suggest reading The Dark Id's LP. It's the full experience, but you also get meaningful commentary including callbacks to Drakengard 1.

Just got ending C. Went
to start game but now I'm now I'm doing the entire game again? And cant save because I accidentally entered debug mode? Is this supposed to happen?

I could definitely see that happening. I'm glad Persona doesn't come out for another month, so I can hopefully get some distance from Nier.

If you can't stomach the game, I suggest reading The Dark Id's LP. It's the full experience, but you also get meaningful commentary including callbacks to Drakengard 1.

I don't think stomach is the right term here, but this could indeed be useful with the chapter breakdown if whim demands I start Automata. Was not necessarily expecting to finish but at least experiencing some of the story, music, and voice acting directly. Been on the shelf forever lol.

I don't think stomach is the right term here, but this could indeed be useful with the chapter breakdown if whim demands I start Automata. Was not necessarily expecting to finish but at least experiencing some of the story, music, and voice acting directly. Been on the shelf forever lol.

Well, some people seem to find Nier to be a grueling slog, mechanically/technically. Personally, I found it very comfy and fun.

Is it possible to play 2B through the entirity of the game in that thong outfit, or is the player forced to wear her other outfits and/or play as other characters?

Hektor

I saw a lot of praise for the E3 demo boss fight. How do the later bosses compare?

The E3 boss is imho the best one in terms of both presentation and gameplay. The second phase especially.

The other bosses don't reach quite the same heights, they tend to be either as cool presented but lack in gameplay or are just as fun to fight but lack comparably in presentation.

Route A complete. That final boss really was something.
I'm guessing The Watchers reference on Eve was some sort of remnant of the disease that affected the Red Eyes as described in Grimoire Noir? No idea otherwise and it doesn't seem like this will ever be brought up again, unless there's some hidden archives lying around telling it like it is? Him turning all black was totally just like Gismor in Drakengard 2. That's what it reminded me of anyway. I don't know what the fuck Gismor's deal was either, to be honest, just seems like an aesthetic thing for villains (Shadowlord included) in this universe to turn all black when they go to final form. Great boss battle anyway.

Route B so far isn't really giving me any real revelations like the first game did with its second playthrough...hope it picks up since this will be repetitive otherwise.

I totally disagree with people in here about the boss battles by the way, they've been really good for me so far.

Route A complete. That final boss really was something.
I'm guessing The Watchers reference on Eve was some sort of remnant of the disease that affected the Red Eyes as described in Grimoire Noir? No idea otherwise and it doesn't seem like this will ever be brought up again, unless there's some hidden archives lying around telling it like it is? Him turning all black was totally just like Gismor in Drakengard 2. That's what it reminded me of anyway. I don't know what the fuck Gismor's deal was either, to be honest, just seems like an aesthetic thing for villains (Shadowlord included) in this universe to turn all black when they go to final form. Great boss battle anyway.

Route B so far isn't really giving me any real revelations like the first game did with its second playthrough...hope it picks up since this will be repetitive otherwise.

I totally disagree with people in here about the boss battles by the way, they've been really good for me so far.

Keep going.

Ponn

Banned
I finally got around to playing the demo and wow. I'm not a big action RPG fan, especially ones where you level up but there doesn't seem to be any trees to customize or points to apply. I may be wrong but it seems the upgrades and customizing comes from the weapons and pods. Still I had a blast with the demo and it hit a lot of my buttons with the mechs and cinematic battles. I ordered it with the Target B2G1 sale and will play this before ME comes out.

Exentryk

I finally got around to playing the demo and wow. I'm not a big action RPG fan, especially ones where you level up but there doesn't seem to be any trees to customize or points to apply. I may be wrong but it seems the upgrades and customizing comes from the weapons and pods. Still I had a blast with the demo and it hit a lot of my buttons with the mechs and cinematic battles. I ordered it with the Target B2G1 sale and will play this before ME comes out.

The demo doesn't really allow much customisation apart from weapons, but the full game has weapon upgrades, pod upgrades (this is basically your "magic" moveset), chip synthesis and upgrades, and some more hacking stuff which I'm not fully aware of.

Exentryk

Oh, I prefer simple but cool with some depth over the kind of mastery needed in Bayonetta. Looking stylish doing cool moves is half the appeal

Yeah. Putting in combo dialing and other intricate stuff that action games generally have would make the combat worse in Automata.
The current combat system in Automata is one of the best any ARPG has had. It's so fluid and has a lot of depth for people that want to explore that (with that gif being a good example). It also allows various builds with its chip system so it should be a lot of fun optimizing that too.

Edit: Sorry, double post.

iammeiam

I just finished the true ending, I think, and goddamn was that satisfying. At the start of playing I was worried the ties to Nier were going to be fairly background since they were trying to expand the audience, but ultimately I'm extremely satisfied with it as a sequel.

I need to platinum it because I feel bad that I couldn't
delete my save data to save a stranger at the end, but I have a ton left to do.
The bit at the end of the last play through where
messages of encouragement from other players pop up, followed eventually by their data assisting you in defeating the credits
was extremely effective and cool.

My sole reservation is that I'm terrible at bullet hell and a couple of hacking segments had me seriously worried about my ability to progress. As far as I can tell, hacking is the only thing in the game you can't make easier. Adjusting difficulty did nothing, I couldn't find plug-in chips for it, no items, etc. It made completing
Soul Box
incredibly frustrating because I am really bad at that style of gameplay.

Great game, satisfying sequel, solid music. Super happy.

Samaritan

I just completed the B route last night, and goddamn! I don't think I've ever experienced a more thorough shattering of my expectations in a post-credits scene than that. I thought I had a handle on where the subsequent routes were headed, and BOY was I wrong.

Top Bottom