• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

iammeiam

Did you enjoy the story and characters? How would you compare them to OG NieR (if you played it)?

I need to go back and finish out the side quests, because I'm only around 60% completion which I think is skewing my vision of the cast. I did play OG Nier and get all the endings back when, and part of getting all the endings there required doing a ton of side quests which brought up a lot more banter and cast interaction/fleshing out side characters that I think I might have missed out on so far in Automata. As it stands right now, there are a few standout side characters and the main cast is solid, but I'd say slightly less colorful than Nier and the overall world feels smaller and less populated. Which makes sense, but so far I'd give the OG Nier cast the edge for being memorable. That may change as I do more quests, since I think the way I played through it shortchanged at least one leading character in particular.

Story-wise I'm happy; after the first ending I was kind of underwhelmed with the overall plot, and thought maybe the game had 'lost' something/compromised in trying to be a better/more widely appealing game, but playing past the first ending is incredibly crucial here. I don't want to get into much more at risk of spoilers, but this was my reaction to starting the game again for the play through that eventually led to the true ending.

Ultimately it's a lot less janky than the original, but I don't think three-s any way to finish the end credits for the last time and not see it as a full-blooded Nier sequel with all the weirdness that entails. Not really a spoiler but kind of a game structure thing: I will say I was getting kind of worried after beating the game the first time, because
playthrough 2 feels extremely expected in a lot of ways if you've played the first game. It does more or less what you'd expect route B on a Nier game to do.
At this point I'm pretty sure that was intentional, as weird as that is.

I just finished the true ending, I think, and goddamn was that satisfying. At the start of playing I was worried the ties to Nier were going to be fairly background since they were trying to expand the audience, but ultimately I'm extremely satisfied with it as a sequel.

I need to platinum it because I feel bad that I couldn't
delete my save data to save a stranger at the end, but I have a ton left to do.
The bit at the end of the last play through where
messages of encouragement from other players pop up, followed eventually by their data assisting you in defeating the credits
was extremely effective and cool.

My sole reservation is that I'm terrible at bullet hell and a couple of hacking segments had me seriously worried about my ability to progress. As far as I can tell, hacking is the only thing in the game you can't make easier. Adjusting difficulty did nothing, I couldn't find plug-in chips for it, no items, etc. It made completing
Soul Box
incredibly frustrating because I am really bad at that style of gameplay.

Great game, satisfying sequel, solid music. Super happy.
I had similar problems. I would have liked there to be separate difficulty sliders for both combat and
hacking
, so that Platinum could have gone full balls to the wall with it while also providing an out for people who can't
shmup
very well.

That would have added to the replayability as well.

Did you enjoy the story and characters? How would you compare them to OG NieR (if you played it)?

Speaking as someone who's only played through 2 endings so far :

Highly enjoyed the story & characters. The dialogue & character performances are nothing special or to write home about (compared to stellar performance writing like what ND or Mafia 3 does), but the narrative, setting, overarching story and broader universe elements in side-quest and lore are.... unsettling, yet mesmerising. Powerful stuff.

I hate to make comparisons, but it makes Fallout 4's ( 4 itself, not the franchise lore) approach to tone in its narrative look laughable. Not that Fallout 4's narrative was anything close to good, but it's a stark reminder.

It's hard to compare a Automata (which I haven't finished) to Gestalt/Replicant since I've yet to experience the peaks of Automata which is said to be the last 2/3 endings, but I would say that OG Nier so far is the more memorable cast by virtue of its stronger juxtaposition. There's more peaks and valleys in OG Nier's character and story moments that make them more memorable and powerful... for now

Automata's cast being androids and machines are generally, I would say ,a more level-headed cast. It comes with the territory of androids/machines, but it also means the peaks of the characters are rarer since 90% of the time they're all calm and cool.

LifeLike

FFXV
REVII
NiOh
Horizon ZD
Nier Aut.

That is 450$ cad out of my pockets in the last couple of months.
I know it hurts but god damnit it is a great era for gamers.

Finished up all the main story endings last night. Honestly, for the flaws that the game does have (which I can't really ignore), it still ends up being one of the most impactful games I've ever played.

The game seems to drive home a very particular message: suffering is rampant in the world, but no one should have to bear their suffering all on their own. In particular, Ending E really reinforces that, and I hope that everyone who goes through that ending chooses to connect to the network, and doesn't give up. The ending really does a lot to show how well written most of the characters and the story are. When I was asked to delete my save data at the end, I had some real conflicts about it since I had gotten a bunch of stuff during my playthrough, but decided I wanted to be helpful to someone else, just as I was helped.

To Yoko Taro, and the rest of the development team:
Thank you.

Glad I finally started Nier before this gets here, much better to experience than watch a YT clip. Have it paused at the screen where mc thinks to himself "This stew smells like I pissed on a campfire" after the Yonah stew sidequest lol.

Bought the game for 360 January 2011, heh. Enjoying it.

pezzie

I like this game a lot, but my hot take is that no, it is not better than Chrono Trigger.

I think it's easily better than Chrono Trigger.

But I didn't love Chrono Trigger as much as most people did.

Up in the air whether I think it's better than Xenogears though. Both games in my top 5 now.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I just finished the true ending, I think, and goddamn was that satisfying. At the start of playing I was worried the ties to Nier were going to be fairly background since they were trying to expand the audience, but ultimately I'm extremely satisfied with it as a sequel.

I need to platinum it because I feel bad that I couldn't
delete my save data to save a stranger at the end, but I have a ton left to do.
The bit at the end of the last play through where
messages of encouragement from other players pop up, followed eventually by their data assisting you in defeating the credits
was extremely effective and cool.

My sole reservation is that I'm terrible at bullet hell and a couple of hacking segments had me seriously worried about my ability to progress. As far as I can tell, hacking is the only thing in the game you can't make easier. Adjusting difficulty did nothing, I couldn't find plug-in chips for it, no items, etc. It made completing
Soul Box
incredibly frustrating because I am really bad at that style of gameplay.

Great game, satisfying sequel, solid music. Super happy.

Thanks for the impressions! About how long did you play to get that ending? Trying to figure out if I can finish this before ME: Andromeda.

FingerBang

I finished the game for the first time (Ending A) in 16 hours. I honestly don't understand how someone could finish this game in 7 hours, unless they just keep following the main quest and NEVER stop to do anything else (on easy).

I have to say, the game is enjoyable but if I had to judge it for the first play-through it would only be a good ARPG. I definitely want to jump back in and know the rest of the story. I am not starting Horizon until I finish this and I am only playing Zelda on the go for the time being. What a great start of the year!

Story-wise, how long is the first part of the game (Ending A) compared to the others?

Coda

Trying to play Zelda pains me, I'm coming to the conclusion that I just don't like the game and it's a lot more tedious than fun IMO. Nier Automata on the other hand is my favorite and the best game I've played probably in the past three years.

addik

Story-wise, how long is the first part of the game (Ending A) compared to the others?

Ending A actually took me 16 hours while Ending B took me around half of that. (Some slight nonplot spoilers)
Since Route B is basically 9S's perspective of Route A's events, you can skip cutscenes. Some of the boss fights will be significantly easier because of a gameplay feature introduced in Route B and is 9S' unique ability. The only thing that might take you longer is that you start to get archives of the old word in Route B so you might want to explore the world a bit more just so that you get to read much of the lore.

iammeiam

Thanks for the impressions! About how long did you play to get that ending? Trying to figure out if I can finish this before ME: Andromeda.

My save currently has 37 hours on it. This is with about 60% of the side quests completed, some time wasted on failing some things repeatedly. I don't feel like I rushed at all, and think it could be done quicker, but also realize I missed a lot I'm going to double back now to get. I also rewatched a lot of repeat cutscenes, so it can probably be done substantially quicker. I'd guess about half that time was the initial play through.

No only if you decide to
hack him. If you walk out, you won't ever see him again. That was my first choice D: But you have to ask yourself. Was it really the right choice?

None of them feel like the right choice
!

(I chose to hack him since it seemed like the best option but.. I just don't know...)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
None of them feel like the right choice
!

(I chose to hack him since it seemed like the best option but.. I just don't know...)

Every option is heartbreaking.

Yoko Tarooooooooooooooooo

Top Bottom