• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Jiraiza

A celebratory GIF for the western release of Nier. Hurray!

e2QoDOq.gif

On another note, Wire makes for an interesting tool for juggling and resetting combo strings. Definitely a must-have Pod Program for the combo-oriented folks around here.

Squire

Banned
The screencap in that video on the last page.

Kinda wish I hadn't seen that, but it's not like I have the context, I suppose.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
30 hours in and i finished route b and ...
what appeared to be the intro of route c
? you got me, taro. you got me. holy shit. i was kind of worried that b, while illuminating and fun in a lot of ways, was kind of halfheartedly pulling the same trick that replicant did the second time through. needless to say my expectations were shattered.

also the 2 sidequests i forgot to finish during route a and b are seriously burning a hole in my soul. i wanted to kick myself when i absent mindedly hit the point of no return a second time. hopefully i have the opportunity to go back and complete those...

30 hours in and i finished route b and ...
what appeared to be the intro of route c
? you got me, taro. you got me. holy shit. i was kind of worried that b, while illuminating and fun in a lot of ways, was kind of halfheartedly pulling the same trick that replicant did the second time through. needless to say my expectations were shattered.

also the 2 sidequests i forgot to finish during route a and b are seriously burning a hole in my soul. i wanted to kick myself when i absent mindedly hit the point of no return a second time. hopefully i have the opportunity to go back and complete those...

Don't worry - there'll be a Chapter Select for you to go back to those at a later point.

Xliskin

A celebratory GIF for the western release of Nier. Hurray!

e2QoDOq.gif

On another note, Wire makes for an interesting tool for juggling and resetting combo strings. Definitely a must-have Pod Program for the combo-oriented folks around here.

Which ending is the grinding area in ? wanna come back to it if I passed that part

raven777

Yoko Taro: One of the reviews of original Nier bashed the game for having archaic savepoint system without autosave, so I told myself "Next time I will make sure I won't put autosave again!"

lol

Yoko Taro: One of the reviews of original Nier bashed the game for having archaic savepoint system without autosave, so I told myself "Next time I will make sure I won't put autosave again!"

lol

:O Where was this quote from? Seems to be a lot of gold from Taro recently.

killatopak

Gold Member

lol

Does this mean that the game is actually an 11/10 and every flaw in the game is made to spite us?

SOLDIER

Just going to poke my head in quick to ask two non-spoiler questions:

1. Is the title screen opening as spoiler-tactic as Taro's previous games, or did he learn how to do a supercut that isn't just every cutscene from the final dungeon? Should I just skip it?

2. So as far as Taro lore goes, I've finished the following:

Drakengard 1-3 (minus D3's DLC)

Nier (minus its DLC)

I understand there is extra material like the Nier epilogue novel, the YorHa stage play, etc. Is any of that essential to fully appreciate Automata's story? I was cautioned about the stage play since it was suggested it might give away key plot points.

Just want to make sure I get the right amount of info without learning too much. Thanks.

Hektor

Just going to poke my head in quick to ask two non-spoiler questions:

1. Is the title screen opening as spoiler-tactic as Taro's previous games, or did he learn how to do a supercut that isn't just every cutscene from the final dungeon? Should I just skip it?

2. So as far as Taro lore goes, I've finished the following:

Drakengard 1-3 (minus D3's DLC)

Nier (minus its DLC)

I understand there is extra material like the Nier epilogue novel, the YorHa stage play, etc. Is any of that essential to fully appreciate Automata's story? I was cautioned about the stage play since it was suggested it might give away key plot points.

Just want to make sure I get the right amount of info without learning too much. Thanks.

You've already done more than you need, nothing left you have to do.

Also, there isn't an opening like NieR 1's, but something similar
at the end of Route B.

The bit at the end of the last play through where
messages of encouragement from other players pop up, followed eventually by their data assisting you in defeating the credits
was extremely effective and cool.

wow.. I stayed off the network the whole game.. when I replay on PC, I'll have to connect to the network.. as I couldn't beat the end credits by myself and ended up going to youtube for ending E.

Kyonashi

Anyone in America received the game yet? Can you post a picture of the reversible cover?

I want to see if the reversible cover has the PS4 banner header or not, I prefer it when they do because the spines match on the shelf.

Jiraiza

Anyone in America received the game yet? Can you post a picture of the reversible cover?

I want to see if the reversible cover has the PS4 banner header or not, I prefer it when they do because the spines match on the shelf.

It has the PS4 logo on the spine. The back doesn't have the typical cover though. It's just a nice piece of artwork instead.

I just got around to playing the demo yesterday. Is the actual game better? The demo was beautiful and sounded great but I found it boring.

Jiraiza

I just got around to playing the demo yesterday. Is the actual game better? The demo was beautiful and sounded great but I found it boring.

Boring in what way? Chances are you won't like the game, but I'd still urge you to play it for the narrative experience.

Boring in what way? Chances are you won't like the game, but I'd still urge you to play it for the narrative experience.

It was boring in that it just didn't feel challenging. You can dodge endlessly and even if you're hit it doesn't do that much damage. I was playing on normal so I guess I could try again on hard.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
There's no auto saving in this game?

If you try and go to continue first on the main menu, the game literally says "there is no auto save in this game, play the game to find out how to save"

DKL

It was boring in that it just didn't feel challenging. You can dodge endlessly and even if you're hit it doesn't do that much damage. I was playing on normal so I guess I could try again on hard.

If you want your balls busted, just play the game on Very Hard.

I honestly can't think of a game in recent memory that comes close to this game's wonky difficulty balance.

In fact, what little reasonable checkpoints there are, I'm mostly under the impression that Platinum must have forced the director to include them since they seem completely random lol

I finished the entirety of Route A like this and it was absolutely miserable: do you like 30 minute checkpoints at the very beginning of the game? Whelp, this game is for you :v

Jiraiza

You'll have to play hard if you want to see the challenge. It's basically a 1-3 hit mode as opposed to the 1 hit mode in very hard.

My BBE has been sitting at the UPS in my town since Friday.... It is supposed to be delivered today but there have been no scans today so I hope it is on the truck

UPS sucks

Hektor

When is the last day to buy the 3-Disc Soundtrack, and what would offer the best price overall with shipping to Canada?

Super tempted.

The communication about that has been a bit weird unforturtunately, as it looks, there are going to be three different sets, one with 1 disc, one with 3, and one with 4.

The 1 Disc set seems to be what western resellers like Amazon are going to get, the 3 disc set seems to be only available in japan, and the 4th disc comes as bonus with the first print of the 3 disc set, so if you preorder the 3 disc set you should be good.

Tho i'm taking no guarantee for what i said lol.

I'd recommend Amazon.co.jp
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01LTI9I72/

With shipping to eu (Don't imagine to canada being much more expansive) it cost's 4,675 Yen which is 40-50$.

That said, you might need to buy amazon gift cards in order to buy the OST.

In case you decide to buy it, pay attention that you buy the right one! Amazon.co.jp is selling the 3 disc set and the 1 disc edition for the same price!

DKL

Too much goodness for one day! Where to start?!

I currently like Zelda better, but I would recommend starting Nier since it probably won't take up as much of your time in order to get to the end.

(based on what I've played of Zelda so far, it seems like there's a lot to do and discover in that game in comparison to a normal playthrough of Nier to the true end... in fact, Nier keeps track of a percentage of completion, so you actually have a clear picture of what you need in order to actually see everything)

Top Bottom