• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Majmun

Wanted to buy the digital edition, but it costs 69euros on the EU store. LOL

Went with the $59 version from the NA store...

McGwigan

Banned
Who is responsible for NieR Automata being the highest rated PS4 game of the year? And not based on brand loyalty or nostalgia, but through actual quality and innovation? I hope Square Enix sees this and not only green lights a remaster of the first NieR but also grabs Yoko Taro by the p****y and let's him make their brand great again. Final Fantasy XVI written and directed by Yoko Taro please.

Nya

Who is responsible for NieR Automata being the highest rated PS4 game of the year? And not based on brand loyalty or nostalgia, but through actual quality and innovation? I hope Square Enix sees this and not only green lights a remaster of the first NieR but also grabs Yoko Taro by the p****y and let's him make their brand great again. Final Fantasy XVI written and directed by Yoko Taro please.

Nah I'd rather have him away from the Final Fantasy brand, his writing just wouldn't click with everyone who is a fan of the series.

Jiraiza

Nah. I'll take another entry in the Nierverse, though.

JayEH

Nah I'd rather have him away from the Final Fantasy brand, his writing just wouldn't click with everyone who is a fan of the series.

Yes. FF is its own thing and wouldn't mix well with Taro and that's fine. They both go for different audiences.

McGwigan

Banned
Did you guys miss the part where FFXV happened? Eh I guess it's not worth arguing the point - of course you are right he isn't the "FF Style", but taking bold new steps has been working well for FFXV.

JBwB

So how long is this game on average? Can one easily beat it in a week or so?

I really want to fit this game into my March gaming schedule.

Jiraiza

So how long is this game on average? Can one easily beat it in a week or so?

I really want to fit this game into my March gaming schedule.

A week is plenty. Took me about 3.5 days to beat it with about 60-70% side stuff completion.

Nah. I'll take another entry in the Nierverse, though.

Yes. FF is its own thing and wouldn't mix well with Taro and that's fine. They both go for different audiences.

Did you guys miss the part where FFXV happened? Eh I guess it's not worth arguing the point - of course you are right he isn't the "FF Style", but taking bold new steps has been working well for FFXV.
I'm pretty sure Yoko Taro has already said, jokingly (possibly) that he would love to do a FF

McGwigan

Banned
If NieR Automata had instead been called Final Fantasy XVI, all the same but with that title I wonder what would you all have said? I don't mean to push the issue into the ground or go off topic even. And of course there's so many directors who could probably make a great and different FF game. Kojima with Norman Reedus as Old Tidus for a God of War reboot style FFX Sequel. Hahahahaha. Oh.

Why be mad at me?

But ok, another NieR game seems justified and this team is powerful. I just hope they don't say "Well we made a good 1, we better retire like From Software before we ruin it. Let's go out on a high."

Squire

Banned

This doesn't work as well you probably thought, since it doesn't work at all.

chefbags

I just got to the early game spoilers
resistance
Camp and my god the music that plays there is so good lol.

Btw at this point can I already get the ffxv sword?

dmr87

8Uoc.jpg

You're in for a treat boys and girls, and I'm pretty sure the latest patch improved the performance. Didn't play for a few days and now post patch my PS4 Pro doesn't sound like a jet engine and the stutter I had while running around is basically gone. I don't have time to re-play right now because I'm drowning in games. Zelda and Horizon, Mass Effect coming up.

And I'm probably buying an EU physical copy too, just for that extra support. ;)

Tubie

Since I'm almost done with Horizon, I figured I would preorder this to get all the preorder extras, and hopefully play a little bit tonight.

But PSN had other plans, estimated time to download shows at 7 hours... ugh, it shouldn't even take 2 hours with my regular download speeds.

Can I play this game, then Nier 1 after? Does this game spoil a lot of Nier or is it loosely connected?

Can I play this game, then Nier 1 after? Does this game spoil a lot of Nier or is it loosely connected?

It does spoil some of the major twists from the end of Nier, but the actual events of the game are pretty much untouched, and Automata's story can stand just fine on its own. You'll mostly just miss some nods here and there.

Ideally you should play Nier first, but if you have to play Automata to build up enough interest to play Nier, then it isn't the end of the world.

It does spoil some of the major twists from the end of Nier, but the actual events of the game are pretty much untouched, and Automata's story can stand just fine on its own. You'll mostly just miss some nods here and there.

Ideally you should play Nier first, but if you have to play Automata to build up enough interest to play Nier, then it isn't the end of the world.
My PS3 in inaccessible at the moment, but I plan on playing it eventually because I always hear such good things about the story. I guess i'll just play Automata and hope it leaves enough interest to check out Nier 1 eventually.

DKL

Quick, which difficulty, Normal or Hard?

Please spare yourself misery and play on normal, at least the first time through to the true end.

The main difference I saw between Normal and Hard/Very Hard was the boss aggression.

I feel like wanting the game to be challenging is torture considering what they do to make that challenge apparent.

ChanMan

Just a few weeks ago I thought I would just skip over playing this game at launch but here I am. It also helps that I only payed $35 for it but still.

I'm pretty sure Yoko Taro has already said, jokingly (possibly) that he would love to do a FF

You should see his Dragon Quest!

RPG Site: Okay, to finish off... so, Taura-san, if you could take Platinum and make a game in any other Square Enix franchise - East or West - what would you make?

Taro Yoko: [in a high pitched voice, hand over mouth] Final Fantasy!

Takahisa Taura: [laughs] No... I mean, I could only think of another Nier after this!

RPG Site: I know you guys work at Square, but what about you?

Taro Yoko: Hmmm... Dragon Quest... if I was allowed to do anything, I'd take Dragon Quest and make it a really brutal, really nasty game. You'd see the monsters start eating people, they'd be molesting the female characters too.

Yosuke Saito: There are already places like that in Dragon Quest!

Yoko: Ahh, I don't need to make it then, it's been done already.

Saito: ...but I don't think Dragon Quest has been done overall in that way. [laughs]

Yoko: I'd love to see all the cute little villagers running around screaming and getting torn apart!

Saito: I'd like to do Space Invaders in the arcade... Taito is in the same group as us, after all. I've never made a proper arcade-only game before, after all.

Yoko: If it's a shooting game, I'll make it for you. Call me, call me!

Ourobolus

Banned
Just started playing and beat the intro, but it says the game is still installing...any idea how long I have to sit here on this screen?

EDIT: Ok, I can apparently check under downloads. 6 minutes. -.-

pezzie

Just started playing and beat the intro, but it says the game is still installing...any idea how long I have to sit here on this screen?

You can check your download progress under Notifications > Download

When that's done the game will move on.

EDIT: There was a game breaking bug when the game was released in Japan and HK where if you played through the intro without letting the game fully download, there would be a quest really early on that's part of the main story but won't progress, making you basically restart the game. Fortunately I think that particular bug's been patched out.

DKL

Is there a way to turn off this widescreen border the game puts up during cutscenes?

No.

I think the Dev explanation for it was so that the player would be aware of when they weren't in control.

Doesn't hide the fact that I've been killed by bullets during a camera transition during the bullet hell sequences :v

Kalentan

So uh... My game hasn't installed all the way yet. I got to the 'ending' and but it never gave me the chance to save and if I go back to the menu I lose my save...

Can I put the PS4 into rest mode while the game is playing and it will install the rest?

shmoglish

Everyone is playing game of the year NieR Automata and I'm stuck at work for another hour and a half

Everyone? Not on a small continent of the world map...

And goddamn. I really love nier and the Automatademo was great... but how can I find the time to play all masterpieces that are coming out these days?

Top Bottom