• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Played a little and I love the art style/gameplay. Although, I am going to pause it here to platinum HZD. I am so close that platinum trophy is haunting me.

FHIZ

Man, just got past the desert area boss. This game is something special. Really digging it so far.

Question, how do I equip the day one bonuses? Made sure to download them on my console, but I can't seem to find anywhere in the game to get my POD looking like a PS1.

pezzie

Man, just got past the desert area boss. This game is something special. Really digging it so far.

Question, how do I equip the day one bonuses? Made sure to download them on my console, but I can't seem to find anywhere in the game to get my POD looking like a PS1.

I think they're under your key items.

Samikaze

Pause game, go to Items. It's in one of the items options, like special items or key items, or something.
All of them will be there.

Side note for that, what are the "retro" designs supposed to be?

The music in this game is wonderful.

Pause game, go to Items. It's in one of the items options, like special items or key items, or something.
All of them will be there.

Side note for that, what are the "retro" designs supposed to be?

nier_launch_ecrm_08.jpg

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but does the game install from the disk to the HDD on PS4? I was surprised to put it in and immediately start playing. Does it install as I play?

Edit: Nvm I see it's now taking 45gb on the HDD

pezzie

I've seen them, I just don't know what the Retro ones are supposed to represent. They something about being a common item in the East, but what?

I dunno about the grey one, but the red one is Famicom colors I think. I wanted to say the NES for the grey one but it feels too dark.

Vic_Viper

What are the diffrences between the OG PS4, PS4 Pro, and PC versions?
Edit: Found the PS4 differences in the op

When am I able to save my progress?

mollipen

This
cannot
continue.
This
cannot
continue.
Thiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethiscannotcontinuethisca

I was playing in Japanese at this part, and my wife (who is Japanese) was singing along, even though she was totally confused at what was going on.

pezzie

Man I think I'm going to replay this game starting tomorrow so I can join you guys getting on US release. All your hype is hyping me up again.

Compared to Nier 1 which was one of my favorite game ever, and yes, I liked the combat too, how is Nier 2 ?
I don't think I'm far but I have no real way to know first time through. Combat is a big plus, feel is definitely nier like but it has it's own thing to it. It's a new Yolo Taro game that looked at nier as a blueprint. Again take it for a grain of salt I have no idea how far I am.

This fucking [E]nding....

THIS... FUCKING.... ENDING....

(If I choose not to help anyone, will I be able to do the final section again later and help them, deleting my save data after I finish my last quests?)

Exentryk

I'm only 2 hours in and I'm really feeling it. I'M REALLY FEELING IT.

Loving these reactions, lol.

Edit: And the one above! Lord 17th March needs to hurry up!

I'm not really farther but this game without spoiling feels like the ballroom scene from of nier. My mouth has been opened from literally the start asking "how, what, wait, huh, I see what your doing, I don't see what your doing, taro what ever drug you do I'll join you"

Lmao!

I'm not really farther but this game without spoiling feels like the ballroom scene from of nier. My mouth has been opened from literally the start asking "how, what, wait, huh, I see what your doing, I don't see what your doing, taro what ever drug you do I'll join you"

Silvard

Alright, I'm done with Horizon and I just started playing this. Is there anything I should know going in? I've never played Nier or Drakengard. Should I just not play this game and play those instead? I think have Nier for PS3 and I can get the Drakengards.

Pundere

Doing the Lost Girl side quest and she appears to be stuck. I just beat the giant enemy and she's just standing there as if combat is still happening.

Doing the Lost Girl side quest and she appears to be stuck. I just beat the giant enemy and she's just standing there as if combat is still happening.
Must be a bug. Try reloading your last save and do it again. It's a pretty short one of you have a save from nearby.

Samikaze

Had this same bug. Reloaded and it worked fine. Just have to deal with that annoying crying all over again lol.

Exentryk

Alright, I'm done with Horizon and I just started playing this. Is there anything I should know going in? I've never played Nier or Drakengard. Should I just not play this game and play those instead? I think have Nier for PS3 and I can get the Drakengards.

You can jump into this directly. Story is set thousands of years after and the characters are pretty much all new.

They're pushing the "
The machines are actually sentient/gaining sentience, are misunderstood by others, and trying to create their own life
" angle really hard, in a really unsubtle on the nose way really early on

Does the game take a more nuanced approach, or is it like this throughout? Just a yes or no is good

Sevyne

I'm loving the reactions people here are having as they progress through the game. Can't wait to see more of you get deeper into the game. It's gonna get crazy in here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They're pushing the "
The machines are actually sentient/gaining sentience, are misunderstood by others, and trying to create their own life

Does the game take a more nuanced approach, or is it like this throughout? Just a yes or no is good

Just know the game is not intending for it to be a secret. This is the general worldview of the setting as it exists in the year 11945

Your on route A, you haven't even started yet.

Zolbrod

So the chip next to my level is blinking? Any idea why that might be?

Did you retrieve a body shortly before this happened?

Retrieving a body gives you some random chip-based stat boosts for 30 seconds, and I think the icon starts blinking when time is about to run out.

Exentryk

But all the spoiler tags make it seem like it has really heavy references to it/them.

The spoilers are just for Automata itself. The game is a crazy narrative focused ride, and the shocks are really important to the experience (or so I've read).

They're pushing the "

That is the fastball.

There are more pitches to come

i picked up my pre order today and im so excited to dig into this one, been waiting paitently since i first saw the gameplay, but im going to save this doozy after the current one: horizon

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But all the spoiler tags make it seem like it has really heavy references to it/them.

It does, this is the same franchise after all. But the story itself in Automata is presented uniformly self contained, so you can enjoy it just fine. Even though there are plenty of callbacks to those who are already fans of Drakenier

Game controls like a dream. I don't even like bullet hell but I was relishing those early scenes.

Music too, damn good so far. Getting those OG Nier feels already!

Hikami

Made it up to the desert area boss. I'll leave it there for today. This game is really something. Can't wait to delve into more crazy stuff.

Silvard

It does, this is the same franchise after all. But the story itself in Automata is presented uniformly self contained, so you can enjoy it just fine. Even though there are plenty of callbacks to those who are already fans of Drakenier

So what would be the best way to get into the franchise and/or catch up for Automata? Is there a recommended order of play?

Top Bottom