• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Reposting FINALE SPOILER question from the last page:

If I choose not to sacrifice my data to help anyone, will I be able to go finish quests and come back later to do so? I want to see everything before I go the whole noble route.

SERIOUSLY DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU'RE FINE WITH FINALE SPOILERS.

So what would be the best way to get into the franchise and/or catch up for Automata? Is there a recommended order of play?
Ideal: Drakengard -> Nier -> Drakengard 3 -> Automata
Realistic: Watch/read an LP of Nier -> Automata
Viable: Play Automata, then go back to the previous games if you're interested

Reposting question from the last page:

If I choose not to sacrifice my data to help anyone, will I be able to go finish quests and come back later to do so? I want to see everything before I go the whole noble route.
Yep you will.

mollipen

Doing the Lost Girl side quest and she appears to be stuck. I just beat the giant enemy and she's just standing there as if combat is still happening.

For me, there was a group of enemies on a rooftop very nearby. Soon as I killed them, she continued on.

They're pushing the "
The machines are actually sentient/gaining sentience, are misunderstood by others, and trying to create their own life
" angle really hard, in a really unsubtle on the nose way really early on

Does the game take a more nuanced approach, or is it like this throughout? Just a yes or no is good

I felt the same way early on. However, I think it finds better footing and becomes more nuanced the further you get.

Jiraiza

Haha, I just sacrificed my data. I wasn't expecting all my save files to get deleted. No more debug room for me for awhile.

TissueBox

Wish I knew,
I sacrificed all my saves in the beauty of the moment a couple days ago and now as much as I loved playing the game I need a break before getting back to starting it from scratch lmao...let alone finishing the side quests I still needed to complete. Make no mistake, it's bittersweet, but damn does it leave an impact ever the more for it. I just got antsy and wanted to finish the story once and for all lol. >_<

I'd think you should be able to though yeah.

TissueBox

They're pushing the "
The machines are actually sentient/gaining sentience, are misunderstood by others, and trying to create their own life

Does the game take a more nuanced approach, or is it like this throughout? Just a yes or no is good

I don't know if I'd call the story nuanced, tbh, it's more like a layered acid trip that hits hard when it hits but can also be very reserved in other areas...

I'll say it's both a yes and no. xD

ZangBa

I'm on my second route and I'm just wondering
if I can switch to 2B? If not, do I have to wait a long time for chapter select or something? I want to go through the majority of the sidequests with her instead.

Sevyne

if I can switch to 2B? If not, do I have to wait a long time for chapter select or something? I want to go through the majority of the sidequests with her instead.

No, route B is specifically the point of view of 9S. You'll get chapter select eventually, but not after route B.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

You can go back to the sidequests anyway. You need to finish your 3rd playthrough to get chapter select.

TissueBox

Unfortunately not.
After your third playthrough you'll unlock chapter select though, so I propose just getting through that first...plus the main questline starts cranking up.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So what would be the best way to get into the franchise and/or catch up for Automata? Is there a recommended order of play?

If you want to get into the franchise proper and not just play Automata...

You probably should not bother to go back and play them. THey are janky as fuck and DEFINITELY not for everybody, that's why they were previously so niche and cult. Only us poor sobs who are masochists can suffer through them to enjoy the crunchy goodness

I'd just watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__q_Nx9WbgY0 < D1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwEbOHo7Aw < Nier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4rez0DnSk < D3

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0 < Valkyria's complete chronological timeline overview

ZangBa

Ok, thanks guys.
I think I will speedrun through 9S's part and check out route 3. He's cool and all, just not as fun to use.

Samaritan

I'm having a hell of a time finding
Project Gestalt Report
7. It's the only one I need still and I feel like I've searched everywhere. :|

They're pushing the "

I admit I felt this way early on too, as Taro is approaching material that's a pretty common theme. But ultimately, Taro prevails and makes it his own without retreading.

Inuhanyou

Don't think Drakengard 2 was Yoko Taro...(he did 1 & 3)

Yeah, its fanfiction on the GT level.

Manah turning semi good however is something i always thought was interesting after being so mentally compromised in her youth

Mezoly

Just played for over an hour. All my concerns has been squashed. It's funny I enjoyed the demo area much more this time around.
I hope the time/distance between saving areas are not as long as the first time. is it?

Coda

Just played for over an hour. All my concerns has been squashed. It's funny I enjoyed the demo area much more this time around.
I hope the time/distance between saving areas are not as long as the first time. is it?

It becomes a lot more frequent, you basically unlock areas in which you can save in.

Inuhanyou

Couple questions

Is there a launcher?
Is the connection to neir meaningful?

The launcher is after a perfect dodge with light weapon yes.

This is a Drakenier game without a doubt. But you don't need to have played the previous games.

Samaritan

Couple questions

Is there a launcher?

Yes there is a launcher. If you jump and then immediately attack, you'll perform a launcher.

While I haven't finished the game completely, I've gotten two substantial endings and I'd say the connection to the first NieR is meaningful, but not in anyway necessary. It definitely flavors the experience of playing this game though, and the many musical callbacks to that first game are very welcome.

DJChuy

Just defeated the
desert boss
. That section had me rolling at its weirdness. Love it!

Combat is pretty solid, but I find it somewhat on the easy side on normal. I'm scared to try it out on hard considering how the hard difficulty was in Nier. I found it a little boring since it took forever to kill enemies in that difficulty. Music is amazing.

I also like the little detail on how 2B stumbles on rocks, etc.

depths20XX

Why am I waiting over an hour at the checking system screen? Just completed demo area and it says if I quit I have to do it all over again?

This is some dumbass shit. I have no clue how long this will take or if it's downloading or what.

Couple questions

Is there a launcher?

There are two ways to do a launcher

1. Dodge follow-up with short sword
2. Jump then hit Heavy attack quickly

There are connections to the first, but not that major. This works as a standalone game more or less.

Yes there is a launcher. If you jump and then immediately attack, you'll perform a launcher.

While I haven't finished the game completely, I've gotten two substantial endings and I'd say the connection to the first NieR is meaningful, but not in anyway necessary. It definitely flavors the experience of playing this game though, and the many musical callbacks to that first game are very welcome.

That's unfortunate to hear. Neir is one of my favs solely because of the characters and story.

Gameplay seems good so far but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for an emotional rollercoaster like OG neir was.

Just know the game is not intending for it to be a secret. This is the general worldview of the setting as it exists in the year 11945

Your on route A, you haven't even started yet.
That is the fastball.

There are more pitches to come
I felt the same way early on. However, I think it finds better footing and becomes more nuanced the further you get.
I don't know if I'd call the story nuanced, tbh, it's more like a layered acid trip that hits hard when it hits but can also be very reserved in other areas...

I'll say it's both a yes and no. xD
I admit I felt this way early on too, as Taro is approaching material that's a pretty common theme. But ultimately, Taro prevails and makes it his own without retreading.
Thanks. After
SOMA, Westworld, Ex Machina
, I guess I'm just really attuned to that plot

depths20XX

Nice. So I play through the opening. Then wait at a loading screen that says it's installing for almost 2 hours and lose all progress.

Samaritan

That's unfortunate to hear. Neir is one of my favs solely because of the characters and story.

Gameplay seems good so far but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for an emotional rollercoaster like OG neir was.

Don't take what I said to mean, in any way, that this game isn't a NieR game. It is 100,000% a NieR game in every meaning of the word. It just isn't a direct sequel to NieR in the way one might expect. Keep playing, you'll see. :)

Inuhanyou

I would say this game's story was just as good although in different ways. Just don't go in expecting it to ape the first game for obvious reasons.

YT rarely does things twice and especially in the same way

Haha, I just sacrificed my data. I wasn't expecting all my save files to get deleted. No more debug room for me for awhile.

How can you
sacrifice and not expect them to do exactly what they're saying they'll do
?

Wish I knew,
I sacrificed all my saves in the beauty of the moment a couple days ago and now as much as I loved playing the game I need a break before getting back to starting it from scratch lmao...let alone finishing the side quests I still needed to complete. Make no mistake, it's bittersweet, but damn does it leave an impact ever the more for it. I just got antsy and wanted to finish the story once and for all lol. >_<

I'd think you should be able to though yeah.

I'll try
saying no and then replaying the end to get to that part & doing the noble thing

Yep you will.

Thanks, I'll do that then.

It's very much a sequel to NieR and without saying much more, you'll see more ties that you'll appreciate having experienced the prior title.

Top Bottom