• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Celeras

Banned
Did the opening sequence (demo part), is that all the tutorial you get? Game seems like it could be really deep and I basically have no idea what Im doing other than mashing lights while shooting and trying to dodge.

I'm all for the Souls approach, just curious if thats what I should be gearing up for. Even the menus are pretty intimidating with all that is buried in there lol.

Caim

Did the opening sequence (demo part), is that all the tutorial you get? Game seems like it could be really deep and I basically have no idea what Im doing other than mashing lights while shooting and trying to dodge.

I'm all for the Souls approach, just curious if thats what I should be gearing up for. Even the menus are pretty intimidating with all that is buried in there lol.

You'll see more tutorials as you progress, but if you open the menu and go to Intel there is a tutorials section.

Caim

Played the
Beauvoir
boss fight again and if you do nothing but dodge attacks
she will eventually force you into the final phase and drops to half health.

Im about 7 hours into route A now. I wish I had more time during the week to really do a long play session but I think I will be able to finish up route A this week and then over the weekend really dive deep into it.

I am loving everything about it so far. Really special game. So glad that we got this, as a massive fan of Drakengard and NIER this is hitting all the points for me.

Amazon shipping delay has given me just enough time to probably finish Nier original once soon, running quick through with no guide and no aim for achievements (or sleep). Has been very entertaining and really digging the characters and side characters, for as long as some of them last...

Will then try to fit in a couple more, one ending which I now know will need some guidance if I bother before starting Automata.

Weiss

Banned
I think I screwed myself.

I can't return to the Forest Village from the Theme Park and the shortcut I opened closed off after I died.

And now I can't leave the Theme Park.

Kthulhu

That would be a huge mistake. Some of them provide a lot of insight into the world and characters in it.

When that happens it's worth it for me. It's just kind of annoying that I have to go on so many fetch quests on the other side of the map. 2B isn't slow by any means, but it does take away from some of my enjoyment.

N° 2048

When that happens it's worth it for me. It's just kind of annoying that I have to go on so many fetch quests on the other side of the map. 2B isn't slow by any means, but it does take away from some of my enjoyment.

You'll unlock
fast travel
and it makes it easier.

Weiss

Banned
guys help

The shortcut to the Forest Village is closed off and there's a big wall on the way you get there the first time. I think it's a glitch or something.

Music spoilers. Still maybe three hours in.

The goliath fight, where you get flight units. The combat music there is a redone version of "grandma" from the original Nier. Amazing.

Weiss

Banned
What part is this exactly? I mean, what route?

Route A I guess. I just started playing. Just after the first time you visit the Theme Park you
follow a flying robot to a village, and now the way there is blocked off by a big wall.

addik

Route A I guess. I just started playing. Just after the first time you visit the Theme Park you
follow a flying robot to a village, and now the way there is blocked off by a big wall.

Make sure you go to the small door next to the gate. I got lost there too the first time

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Got my special edition last night - unfortunately the SE store put it in a small box and the corners got all mangled, as well as the inner part of the box got torn, too. But this game is so good, I've even put Zelda aside to play it. Love the Ikaruga references at the beginning.

DNAbro

Just got ending A, took like 8 and half hours. How do I start getting other endings? Just play again?

Also the game feels so damn good.

Silvard

The OP has a video that helps you catch up if you cant play the games. :p

If you want to get into the franchise proper and not just play Automata...

You probably should not bother to go back and play them. THey are janky as fuck and DEFINITELY not for everybody, that's why they were previously so niche and cult. Only us poor sobs who are masochists can suffer through them to enjoy the crunchy goodness

I'd just watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__q_Nx9WbgY0 < D1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwEbOHo7Aw < Nier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4rez0DnSk < D3

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0 < Valkyria's complete chronological timeline overview

I've been trying to watch the videos from Clemps but they're not very good for someone completely new to the franchise. Apparently he decided he needed to be funny about everything and insert a joke or two in every sentence, so it's really hard to take the story seriously or to even tell apart jokes from what's real, let alone be able to tell the tone the game was trying to convey.

This just struck me: Where's the outrage about Nier having a female protagonist? Where's the "SJW agenda being pushed down our throats"? Where's the "I can't relate because it's a womyn!" hatearade from the Internet that recently bashed on Horizon's Aloy.

This is not a dis on the game but on many gamers' hypocritical stance. They'll tolerate a female protagonist as long as she's sexualized (and don't get me wrong, there's a place for those too) but the moment we have an empowered one that isn't showing T&A? OUTRAGE FEMINISM TIME!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I've been trying to watch the videos from Clemps but they're not very good for someone completely new to the franchise. Apparently he decided he needed to be funny about everything and insert a joke or two in every sentence, so it's really hard to take the story seriously or to even tell apart jokes from what's real, let alone be able to tell the tone the game was trying to convey.

Actually, I felt the same way as someone who just watched them out of curiosity and is already familiar with everything. I'm replaying the games anyways so I don't mind but I don't think clemps videos are particularly great.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This just struck me: Where's the outrage about Nier having a female protagonist? Where's the "SJW agenda being pushed down our throats"? Where's the "I can't relate because it's a womyn!" hatearade from the Internet that recently bashed on Horizon's Aloy.

This is not a dis on the game but on many gamers' hypocritical stance. They'll tolerate a female protagonist as long as she's sexualized (and don't get me wrong, there's a place for those too) but the moment we have an empowered one that isn't showing T&A? OUTRAGE FEMINISM TIME!

Its best to just leave them be and be a productive person
by playing this game instead of doing SJW keyboarding stuff stuff.

Regards to the endings, I believe ending
E
is the True ending. I want to know can you just do ending
A
and go straight to ending
E
or do you have to do ending
B, C and D
to get to
E
?

True Fire

NieR isn't high profile enough. Trolls are already working overtime with Horizon, Zelda, and the Switch.

Philippo

It's an incredibly well written character, this alone makes everyone in agreement.

Silvard

Actually, I felt the same way as someone who just watched them out of curiosity and is already familiar with everything. I'm replaying the games anyways so I don't mind but I don't think clemps videos are particularly great.

Is there any source you recommend to catch up with (other than playing the games)? These videos might be good entertainment for some and I won't knock them for that purpose, but as story synopsis/analysis they're insufferable.

E
A
E
B, C and D
to get to
E
?

You have to do the endings in order, it's impossible to miss them

carda114

E
A
E
B, C and D
to get to
E
?

You need to do A and B. After that, I believe you can.

HeelPower

I am on the fence but I have a question.

Are the game's various endings obscure and impossible to unlock without a guide ? Or are you able to figure them out naturally?

I dont enjoy looking up stuff to unlock things in a game.

DKF590

I am on the fence but I have a question.

Are the game's various endings obscure and impossible to unlock without a guide ? Or are you able to figure them out naturally?

Spoiler tagged just incase someone wants literally 0 information going in.

Every main ending is 100% straightforward, just keep playing. There are also a bunch of joke/bonus endings that vary wildly on how to earn.

RPGCrazied

Played until the first open world segment. Pretty cool, but another title with frame pacing issues, sure does feel like it on the base PS4. Not to mention 0 AA. They couldn't render the game at 1080p on base PS4? I really do fail to believe that.

I have only played about 2 hours, since Zelda is taking the majority of my time, but I am really enjoying what I am playing thus far. Like the first Nier, this game is turning out to be something special.

HeelPower

Spoiler tagged just incase someone wants literally 0 information going in.

Every main ending is 100% straightforward, just keep playing. There are also a bunch of joke/bonus endings that vary wildly on how to earn.

Thanks.

Does the game have only 2 difficulty modes ?

Normal and touch of death without lock on ?

Is there a spoiler free ending guide posted somewhere? Or is it pretty straightforward in terms of what I have to do?

Not sure if it's a "just keep replaying it" kind of thing and the game takes it from there, or if it's like 999 where you have to make certain choices at certain points in the game.

EDIT: Nvm, someone literally answered it a page back. Enjoy the game everyone!

Top Bottom