• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
EpicNameBro

As far as i know, he was only interested cause Platinum based on how he talked in his Nioh videos, so i don't doubt he would not have been privy to Yoko Taro's previous dealings, but still...people are trying to tell you important stuff about the game, no need to be overtly defensive

Pundere

Need a bit of help with something. I'm doing The Wandering Couple and I gave the guy the item to fix his leg, but now the quest marker is in a part of the map I can't seem to get to.

-Horizon-

Quick question
Was there anything special about the demo? Anything that will transfer over? Was it a unique mission not in the actual game like the FFXV platinum demo?
I just want to know before I go ahead and delete it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
LOL ENB is trying a bit hard to find things to dislike about the game.

So far
*Invisible Walls and not liking how you could reach some areas if you took down some of the walls
*Bullets curving on the 2D sections when you get in the tower areas of the demo.
*Indestructible barrels and boxes.
*The Shortcuts not having visual cues and thinking they have invisible walls
*The fans of the game

KuGsj.gif

Caim

Quick question
Was there anything special about the demo? Anything that will transfer over? Was it a unique mission not in the actual game like the FFXV platinum demo?
I just want to know before I go ahead and delete it.

There are no demo bonuses so you can delete it.

Twitter feed,avoiding name dropping, but some of ya'll probably saw this one.

Well yea, if you didnt get all the endings, you literally did not finish the game, because half the game is in the other routes.
Imagine if you just stopped playing Ocarina of Time when the time skip happens

Sure it's and "ending" but you're like 1/3 through the whole thing

Gbraga

It's fine, not every game is for everyone. His reasons for not liking it may not be super solid, but I think everyone had a situation where they just didn't like something for whatever stupid reason and couldn't get over it.

He also thinks Nioh is the best game on the PS4, I didn't like Nioh at all, sold it without even finishing it once. Doesn't make me like him any less.

Vazra

It's fine, not every game is for everyone. His reasons for not liking it may not be super solid, but I think everyone had a situation where they just didn't like something for whatever stupid reason and couldn't get over it.

He also thinks Nioh is the best game on the PS4, I didn't like Nioh at all, sold it without even finishing it once. Doesn't make me like him any less.

I just think he wants to see Nier as DMC/Bayonetta when the game is not aiming to be that and also do more things. He mentioned those 2 games a few times in the current stream he has going on and he is pretty much looking the game as something that is not exactly is.

So much confusion would be saved if the playable pieces were called "Parts" and the finales were called endings.

Essentially the game has main 3 "Endings" in the classic sense, with Routes A -> B -> C leading up to them.

Vazra

So much confusion would be saved if the playable pieces were called "Parts" and the finales were called endings.

Essentially the game has main 3 "Endings" in the classic sense, with Routes A -> B -> C leading up to them.

I do agree it could be like that but the game itself at the beginning tells you about needing the other routes to get the whole experience.

Philippo

Curse me for not resisting listening the OST, i got spoiled on three or four bosses, and what i think is a scene from a couple of endings, one with
2B and 9S laying on the ground
and one with
A2 kind of dead looking out of a window
, also
Manah from DK1
?.
Still, not bothered by the bosses because it's all early stuff it seems, and the scenes i saw weren't unexpected since, well, it's a Yoko Taro game.

I also remember Kotaku's review spoiling a lot of cool stuff like
some kind of minigame with colored dots? A place with no texture? 2B casually talking with machines?
. Duh, hope there is still a lot to leave me surprised.

Gbraga

I just think he wants to see Nier as DMC/Bayonetta when the game is not aiming to be that. He mentioned those 2 games a few times in the current stream he has going on and he is pretty much looking the game as something that is not exactly is.

I don't think it's that unfair to do that, though.

It would be awful if he was reviewing it professionally. You have to be able to at least treat different genres differently, lest you get another Football Manager situation, or whatever that game was called.

But since it's not, there's nothing wrong with him looking for a particular thing, even if there was no reason for him to be looking for that in Nier.

It may not make any sense, but even if you think he's straight up wrong, saying you appreciate him less for it is kind of crazy, to me.

Did anyone subscribe to his channel to see him reviewing games and giving them a fair shot on their own merits? I just enjoyed his knowledge on Souls and Dragon's Crown. I don't really mind if he doesn't like games I do.

Jiraiza

Need a bit of help with something. I'm doing The Wandering Couple and I gave the guy the item to fix his leg, but now the quest marker is in a part of the map I can't seem to get to.

I guess that area is the
Flooded City
. Not sure where you are now in the story, but it's an area you can't go to until a certain point, I think.

killatopak

Gold Member
Still no sign of my copy of this game nor the console itself.

See you guys in OT2.

It's pretty hard to dodge spoilers now. So many NieR stuff in my youtube recommended. Only way to go is to completely not use youtube.

DJChuy

Got to the part when the robots are performing
Romeos and Juliets.
The last part of the segment was hilarious.

I'm loving this game so far. Been messing around with quests, but a lot of quests I've encountered seem impossible to complete early in the game.

RedSwirl

So where does this game sit on the Action-to-RPG spectrum?

The first one was an RPG right (never played it)? I ask because the PS4 demo of Automata was the most RPG-feeling of any Platinum thing I'd played, and we keep having all these discussions about action RPGs that have better or worse combat versus story depth or whatever. It keeps bringing up the problem that we don't and may never have an RPG that combines a deep, quality story with Platinum-quality combat. The best game of all time might be an open-world RPG with Obsidian/CDProjekt-quality writing with Platinum-quality combat. Automata might not be that game but it seems like the closest we've gotten so far.

Got to the part when the robots are performing
Romeos and Juliets.
The last part of the segment was hilarious.

I'm loving this game so far. Been messing around with quests, but a lot of quests I've encountered seem impossible to complete early in the game.

You know its a good game, when initially reading that sentence, you mentally fill in the spoiler tag as
oral sex.

psychotron

So I'm thinking I may reinstall. I'm in the desert and the game is still stuttering a hell of a lot, even hitching mid jump at points. I can't imagine it's THIS bad on Pro.

ZoronMaro

So I finished all main endings last night this morning. I stay up too late playing games all the time, but I can't remember the last time a game gripped me so hard that I never went to sleep. Once you get to a certain point though, I'm not sure how I could have stopped I needed to see. Also to anyone beating the final ending
I'm sorry I can't help you, I didn't have the courage to delete my save file
but man that was powerfully moving moment when "the thing" happened.

Related, did anyone get the Automata World guide? I really want an Automata artbook, but the one in the CE is way too rich for my blood and I remember Nier's Grimoire had too much text I couldn't read and not enough art for me. Luckily D.K. had his own artbook with plenty of art so I'm wondering if I should wait and see for something like that or get the world guide while it's kinda cheap.

So I'm thinking I may reinstall. I'm in the desert and the game is still stuttering a hell of a lot, even hitching mid jump at points. I can't imagine it's THIS bad on Pro.

Its the game game streaming that is most likely causing the hitching, theres a certain point that lives @ 30fps too.

Jiraiza

So I finished all main endings last night this morning. I stay up too late playing games all the time, but I can't remember the last time a game gripped me so hard that I never went to sleep. Once you get to a certain point though, I'm not sure how I could have stopped I needed to see. Also to anyone beating the final ending
I'm sorry I can't help you, I didn't have the courage to delete my save file
but man that was powerfully moving moment when "the thing" happened.

Related, did anyone get the Automata World guide? I really want an Automata artbook, but the one in the CE is way too rich for my blood and I remember Nier's Grimoire had too much text I couldn't read and not enough art for me. Luckily D.K. had his own artbook with plenty of art so I'm wondering if I should wait and see for something like that or get the world guide while it's kinda cheap.

I'm getting it. I heard a couple of novellas were in it, so I wouldn't mind more backstory on the game.

ZoronMaro

I'm getting it. I heard a couple of novellas were in it, so I wouldn't mind more backstory on the game.

I mean if it was in english I would totally love getting all the extra backstory and stuff (there's actually already fan-translations of the novellas at least and I'm sure people are working on the rest). But my japanese is at a childish level and I can't read 90% of Grimoire Nier, so if the world guide is the same thing I'd pass at least for now and hope one of the concept artists releases a book like D.K. did.

I can't find pictures of it anywhere online so I'd love impressions whenever you get it.

Jiraiza

I mean if it was in english I would totally love getting all the extra backstory and stuff (there's actually already fan-translations of the novellas at least and I'm sure people are working on the rest). But my japanese is at a childish level and I can't read 90% of Grimoire Nier, so if the world guide is the same thing I'd pass at least for now and hope one of the concept artists releases a book like D.K. did.

I can't find pictures of it anywhere online so I'd love impressions whenever you get it.

Yeah, I'll report back.

Will be interesting for those of us who dont have to worry about spoilers. I really wanna know how much of the plot they knew from day 1, cause these parts are impossible to play without all the details.

They actually didnt. Kira Buckland was streaming herself playing the demo the night of launch the other day along with some Q/A. Since it was recorded in broken and non sequential sessions. She had an idea, but not completely.

chefbags

Yo I got past the third boss and
when the hacking came out of fucking nowhere I thought it was so cool lol. Kept me on my toes too. What a battle.
also the godly music just gets me right into the atmosphere of this game lol. So good.

Top Bottom