• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Weiss

Banned
Yeah I think I'm screwed. I really cannot find the way back to the Forest Village.

Hate to pull a DSP but I think I stumbled on a glitch. I died right after opening up the shortcut from the Forest Village to the City Ruins (the block pushing bit) and it reset back to its position.

Damn, I really suck at evading in this game when I had no problems with it in other Platinum titles.

But the gameplay feels so smooth, and the soundtrack is amazing. I only got two hours into it last night, but I'm liking it so far.

Hektor

Yeah I think I'm screwed. I really cannot find the way back to the Forest Village.

Hate to pull a DSP but I think I stumbled on a glitch. I died right after opening up the shortcut from the Forest Village to the City Ruins (the block pushing bit) and it reset back to its position.

What do you mean with a big wall, as mentioned in one of your earlier posts? The big iron gate in the theme park? Cos that one never opens. You get in there through a small alley somewhere to the right when you're coming out of the theater

LotusHD

Banned
Thanks!

It'll likely only be Normal and Hard for me.

If I were you, I would stick to Normal for at least the beginning section (basically the demo). It does not let you save, and makes you start the entire thing all over again if you die. Hard Mode is harder than it was in the demo, as they truly hit hard as fuck now, so yea...

Also, concerning dying, there's a joke ending that happens if you die in the beginning.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is there any source you recommend to catch up with (other than playing the games)? These videos might be good entertainment for some and I won't knock them for that purpose, but as story synopsis/analysis they're insufferable.

Honestly, I decided to refresh/fill myself in by playing everything before the PC release so I don't have any good plot summaries to direct you too but the linked ValkyrieAurora's video is a nice timeline of what happened that's not too detailed in characters interactions unfortunately but it details the line of events and routes that lead to Automata.

Weiss

Banned
What do you mean with a big wall, as mentioned in one of your earlier posts? The big iron gate in the theme park? Cos that one never opens. You get in there through a small alley soemwhere to the right when you're coming out of the theater

Right yeah, but the flying robot leads you up the stairs through the back alley and the wall isn't there, I'm pretty sure.

Hopefully this is just me being an idiot.

EDIT: YEP I AM A DUMB SCRUB

Was looking at this all wrong. Please ignore me. Praise Yoko.

DKF590

You can enter from the path you originally took, through the
amusement park.

ZangBa

So I'm like an hour into
route C
and I'm pretty much addicted at this point. After FFXV and all the praise it got, I thought I was crazy or games just weren't for me anymore. I haven't felt like not sleeping to play a game in a long ass time.

Fought the
Amusement Park boss
last night and that's where I stopped. Really enjoying it so far.

Anyone have general combat tips? I'm finding that timing my dodges at the right moment to negate/counter is really essential for maintaining flow. But I'm curious if I'm missing other obvious tips. Combo-heavy games aren't really my forte, and I've never finished a Platinum game.

Silvard

Honestly, I decided to refresh/fill myself in by playing everything before the PC release so I don't have any good plot summaries to direct you too but the linked ValkyrieAurora's video is a nice timeline of what happened that's not too detailed in characters interactions unfortunately but it details the line of events and routes that lead to Automata.

I just watched ValkyrieAurora's video and it was definitely better than Clemps in terms of format, unfortunately it doesn't go into much detail and I had a really hard time understanding the timeline of events. On the plus side it leaves a lot to be discovered by playing the actual games and I have a rough idea of how they connect to each other. On the minus side...I'm so freaking lost.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I just watched ValkyrieAurora's video and it was definitely better than Clemps in terms of format, unfortunately it doesn't go into much detail and I had a really hard time understanding the timeline of events. On the plus side it leaves a lot to be discovered by playing the actual games and I have a rough idea of how they connect to each other. On the minus side...I'm so freaking lost.

That's the only downside of the video not much details but that's the best I've seen at the moment. You might just want to watch an LP or something to fill you in on any specifics for any of the games but I'm not sure if you're willing to invest that time and find LPs that work for you. There is DarkID's text LPs of Drakengard 1+3 and Nier on the lparchive but those are also a bit jokey but they pretty much walk you through the entire game doubling as 100% completion guides and link to cutscenes and such to watch where needed.

Silvard

That's the only downside of the video not much details but that's the best I've seen at the moment. You might just want to watch an LP or something to fill you in on any specifics for any of the games but I'm not sure if you're willing to invest that time and find LPs that work for you. There is DarkID's text LPs of Drakengard 1+3 and Nier on the lparchive but those are also a bit jokey but they pretty much walk you through the entire game doubling as 100% completion guides and link to cutscenes and such to watch where needed.

I don't mind humor thrown in but Clemps' was a plain disruptive. To be honest if I'm going to watch a full length LP at that point I might just play the games. If it's text than that's a different story, but maybe I'll just play Automata first.

Played through the intro while it was installing last night, it was interesting for sure. Does it get more open world from here or do you get those bullet hell segments still? Not that I mind, those were fun.

I don't mind humor thrown in but Clemps' was a plain disruptive. To be honest if I'm going to watch a full length LP at that point I might just play the games. If it's text than that's a different story, but maybe I'll just play Automata first.
The Dark Id LPs are godlike. He jokes around a lot, but he knows when to play it straight.

It's mostly text and screenshots, but he includes links to music and cutscenes when it's warranted.

His Nier LP sold me so hard I went out and bought the game after finishing the LP.

Twitter feed,avoiding name dropping, but some of ya'll probably saw this one.

. said:
the most obnoxious thing about NieR is SOME of its fans

"Oh you haven't gotten all endings for every game? You haven't played it then"

Well yea, if you didnt get all the endings, you literally did not finish the game, because half the game is in the other routes.

Hektor

Twitter feed,avoiding name dropping, but some of ya'll probably saw this one.

Well yea, if you didnt get all the endings, you literally did not finish the game, because half the game is in the other routes.

Gotta admit that this is genuinly making me liking him less :/

Weiss

Banned
I think what he's saying is that if someone doesn't like the game, being told to play it even more won't change their mind.

For the folks who found NieR a dull monotonous slog, would being told to redo the entire second half endear them to it? And to then do it two more times for the "real" ending?

tjlee2

Neo Member
I think what he's saying is that if someone doesn't like the game, being told to play it even more won't change their mind.

For the folks who found NieR a dull monotonous slog, would being told to redo the entire second half endear them to it? And to then do it two more times for the "real" ending?

It would depend on what they complaint is directed at. If it's at gameplay, then it's valid. If it's at story, then it's inaccurate.

I don't think it's wrong to do a playthrough to first ending and then concluding that it is not fun to play. I think it is premature to conclude that the story is good/bad before seeing at least a majority of it.

I think it's fair to say that the transition from one playthrough to the next isn't done in the most intuitive manner, however. Odin Sphere's was very clear without expanation, but from what I read this game requires loading a cleared save and starting new game, which would give off a different impression just because of how it is designed.

Edit: Incorrect adjective.

creid

I popped the disc in for the first time and it started downloading a ~20GB patch. It got hung up somewhere around the middle so I went to start the game, and it started downloading a ~1.5GB patch. It eventually downloaded and I was able to boot the game up, but is this normal? Two different day one patches, one of which didn't even need to finish downloading?

I popped the disc in for the first time and it started downloading a ~20GB patch. It got hung up somewhere around the middle so I went to start the game, and it started downloading a ~1.5GB patch. It eventually downloaded and I was able to boot the game up, but is this normal? Two different day one patches, one of which didn't even need to finish downloading?

i only had a 2.8GB one

DKF590

Watching him play on twitch yesterday was preeeettyy rough. He clearly wasn't enjoying the game. The idea that he would suddenly connect with it after getting all the endings is probably farfetched. I think the comment is valid if someone genuinely didn't enjoy the first 10 hours.

psychotron

Anyone else getting stuttering on Pro in the first area after the demo? Just walking around the area I'm seeing lots of stuttering.

Watching him play on twitch yesterday was preeeettyy rough. He clearly wasn't enjoying the game. The idea that he would suddenly connect with it after getting all the endings is probably farfetched. I think the comment is valid if someone genuinely didn't enjoy the first 10 hours.

What is irritating is that people just said "yea thats not the end of the game", mostly just trying to raise awareness that the routes arent just ending.

He's had this type of response before when people just replied to tweets with information, to which he respond by taking the replies out of context and implying they were assholes.

Anyone else getting stuttering on Pro in the first area after the demo? Just walking around the area I'm seeing lots of stuttering.
The game stutters all the time whilst exploring, but the first area is the worst.

This just struck me: Where's the outrage about Nier having a female protagonist? Where's the "SJW agenda being pushed down our throats"? Where's the "I can't relate because it's a womyn!" hatearade from the Internet that recently bashed on Horizon's Aloy.

This is not a dis on the game but on many gamers' hypocritical stance. They'll tolerate a female protagonist as long as she's sexualized (and don't get me wrong, there's a place for those too) but the moment we have an empowered one that isn't showing T&A? OUTRAGE FEMINISM TIME!

Sure there's well written and then there's Yoko Taro. It's a world of difference, maybe you should try actually playing it?

nikos

Just finished my first playthough. Saw endings A and K. I don't usually play games more than once, but I'm already continuing on. With so many endings, I guess this is different than most games.

Jiraiza

Just finished my first playthough. Saw endings A and K. I don't usually play games more than once, but I'm already continuing on. With so many endings, I guess this is different than most games.

You're not done with the game yet if you haven't gotten endings B-E.

Top Bottom