• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Newman96

Haven't picked up the game yet but I've been intrigued by what I've seen, mainly how good the combat looks. Reading impressions I was wondering, is the game open world? I hadn't realised it was from what little I've seen.

My friend was thinking about selling his 2B figure (He bought the LE for the fucking steel book of all things) so I said I'd take it off his hands and he told me he wanted $200. Woulda slapped him if we weren't talking on discord. Apparently that's what the listings are for on eBay. Who the fuck is gonna buy it for that price when there's already another one announced that's gonna cost less and undoubtedly be ten times better looking.

Samikaze

My friend was thinking about selling his 2B figure (He bought the LE for the fucking steel book of all things) so I said I'd take it off his hands and he told me he wanted $200. Woulda slapped him if we weren't talking on discord. Apparently that's what the listings are for on eBay. Who the fuck is gonna buy it for that price when there's already another one announced that's gonna cost less and undoubtedly be ten times better looking.

Also no friend discount?

Exentryk

Yoko Taro has arrived in the US for his PAX event:

C6b0E5VWcAEvA5T.jpg

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Haven't picked up the game yet but I've been intrigued by what I've seen, mainly how good the combat looks. Reading impressions I was wondering, is the game open world? I hadn't realised it was from what little I've seen.

Yes but its smaller and more confined than other open worlds, it works to the game's design.

It seems to feel like a lot of things depending on the person. A friend mentioned Twin Peaks, another person said Westworld. I personally get some Evangelion vibes from it. It also has some very knowing, but heartfelt writing like what you find in games like Undertale, which is of course inspired by Earthbound.

That's par the course for YT...Nier was the same IMO, and even Drakengard to an extent

Drakengard itself is basically berserk meets end of evangelion to start with

I really need to sit down and watch a LP of the first game or something...

Though this could be easier if we get the legendary HD remaster of it instead of me having to plug my PS3 in and look for my sealed copy of the game :v

Real talk I think it's masterful how it relates to the original so far. You playing the original would feel like a sequel, me playing the sequel makes me more confused. This totally could be played in either order and i think you would get something unique out of it.

Squire

Banned
Taro definitely leaned on NGE with this one. It almost feels too on the nose at points.

I think I'm still early in, but I'm already drawing a lot of parallels, so I could see that.

That's par the course for YT...Nier was the same IMO, and even Drakengard to an extent

Drakengard itself is basically berserk meets end of evangelion to start with

That's not too surprising! I love it. He seems to have taken the right lessons from EVA. Automata is gloomy and contemplative and weird without reservation.

OK I just played the demo and loved what I played and I'm ready to pull the trigger but I have a question. I've seen people on here with playthroughs of around 10 hrs. I know the game has multiple endings but does the game change each time you play to make it fresh?

MechaX

Where was the hate? When I look at the comments section for Horizon, people seem to love Aloy. I like her because redheaded leads are kinda rare and she reminds me of Becky Lynch.

I haven't seen it anywhere else, but the GameFAQs boards are on a whole fucking other level when it came to this kind of shit, so you may want to peek over there for a pretty good example of what they're talking about.

LotusHD

Banned
OK I just played the demo and loved what I played and I'm ready to pull the trigger but I have a question. I've seen people on here with playthroughs of around 10 hrs. I know the game has multiple endings but does the game change each time you play to make it fresh?

Yes.

Neptonic

I haven't seen it anywhere else, but the GameFAQs boards are on a whole fucking other level when it came to this kind of shit, so you may want to peek over there for a pretty good example of what they're talking about.

The steam community forums are full of that shit

There's more than enough new content to make the one similar playthrough (Route B) fresh on its own, but past that one route, the other routes are completely new content.

Yes. New story beats, cutscenes, set pieces,mechanics, everything really.

Think of it as one whole game split up into 'acts'.

okay that god scene where the droids kill themselves to become gods. This is taro at his most, I..... wow. How is it this insane already, like before any endings. Hoky shit new fans are gonna flip if they don't know what they are in for.

Got started playing, made it
to the resistance camp and then through the part where you fight the (first) humanoid machine
. Games pretty fun. I decided to play through on Normal since this isn't my usual kind of game, and I've only died twice for stupid reasons--the first was because I didn't realize you don't by default have auto-heal, and the second was from a boar that charged me for like 1/2 my HP and I panicked. I do understand why people love the soundtrack, it seems to fit every part of the game perfectly, and overall is one of the better soundtracks I've heard. The character animations in combat surprise me, it always seems very fluid--I imagine this is Platinum Games doing--and even though things quickly can get chaotic it's fairly easy to follow what's happening. Overall I'm enjoying it, not sure it's 9+/10 yet, but I haven't even scratched the surface.

So far I've learned that Dodging is the most powerful ability in the game, bar none.

LotusHD

Banned
I wanna meet Operator 60 already (or again, I forget, they all look alike), she's so adorable lol

Just finished the opera boss for myself. Fucking amazing.

And it goes without saying, but the OST is incredible and fits each area so perfectly.

Jiraiza

Both are amazing, but I've heard people say that the Japanese dub can make you occasionally miss out on banter when fighting or w/e, so go with English imo

I'd go with Japanese because the English portrayal of 2B feels a bit too rough, I feel. That may be due to the localization, though. Ishikawa's 2B is a lot softer (and cuter).

Top Bottom