• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Hektor

Someone has stuck the Music Concert & Talk live disc up on youtube (that's the one that comes with the collectors edition yeah?) and I'm having a listen through. Loving most of the tracks, not so fond of the alternate singer for some tracks since she has a bit of a weak voice, trouble holding the note.

One thing I regret cancelling my CE for hah.

The Concert Blu-Ray also had a standalone release
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01LXZO9FI/

Tho for that price + shipping you might as well have bought the BBE

So I played through the first part but died at the end during the boss
with two saws of whatever
. I have to start from the beginning again? I dont have time for that bullshit.

People are not ready for the taro. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If you want you can just put the difficulty down a notch or two for that part of the game, you don't lose out on anything if you do and can put it back up the moment you finished it.

Personally, i've wasted short over two hours on it because of my pride lol.

I will get this game tomorrow and I need to know if I should start it on hard. I found what was in the demo to be very easy. Or is the difficulty maybe adjustable at any time?

The release version is harder than the demo, that said, yes the difficulty is adjustable at any time.

Man, I think I'm in love. I've been playing Horizon non-stop since release and I needed a change yesterday so I downloaded the N:A demo and it blew my mind. I totally didn't realize it was Platinum either and this game became a must get. I went to a couple Best Buys before finding a copy. I've been playing non-stop since last night and I just can't stop thinking about it. I never would've thought any game, let alone a completely whacked-out sequel to an already whacked-out obscure jrpg, would triumph over Horizon as my game of the generation so far.

febLey

Totally forgot that I've preordered it, today I got the confirmation that it got shipped.
So I'm probably going to play it after BotW.

SOLDIER

Still early in the game, last fought the

Goliath in the world map

Just had a few non-spoiler questions.

1. Does the networking mode make the game too easy? As amusing as the messages are, I worry that the two options break the game's difficulty: I either retrieve the corpse and get most (all?) of my healtgh back plus random buffs, or I repair it and potentially gain a super-leveled ally.

2. Once you earn an ending and run the game again in NG+ or whatever, can you bump up the difficulty? Or does it have to remain the same throughout your save file to get all the endings?

3. Is there a fast travel option between the save points in the world map, or will I have to hoof it from one area to the other (and back) every time?

4. I've got two weapons for my Pod so far (Laser and Mirage), but can I only swap them out in real-time if I have multiple Pods? Kind of sucks that I have to manually switch the Pod's weapons while 2B gets two weapon presets I can bounce between.

5. Love the game's visual style, but I'm a bit bummed by the chugging framerate when outside. And I'm on a Pro to boot: any word if they'll improve this via patch?

Arkeband

Banned
I'm not super far in, just past the second boss, but my thoughts:

1) It's already showing the latter half of Nier 1's fuckery - this is good for people playing it as a sequel because we already know the basic conceit, and it's good for new people because they don't have to wait as long.

2) Traversal takes a while, kind of wish I could teleport between more of those map nodes.

3) The difficulty seems a little overtuned on normal, but thankfully all it seems I have to do is mash that R2 button and I can just evade for days.

Stalk

Goliath in the world map

1. Does the networking mode make the game too easy? As amusing as the messages are, I worry that the two options break the game's difficulty: I either retrieve the corpse and get most (all?) of my healtgh back plus random buffs, or I repair it and potentially gain a super-leveled ally.

2. Once you earn an ending and run the game again in NG+ or whatever, can you bump up the difficulty? Or does it have to remain the same throughout your save file to get all the endings?

3. Is there a fast travel option between the save points in the world map, or will I have to hoof it from one area to the other (and back) every time?

4. I've got two weapons for my Pod so far (Laser and Mirage), but can I only swap them out in real-time if I have multiple Pods? Kind of sucks that I have to manually switch the Pod's weapons while 2B gets two weapon presets I can bounce between.

5. Love the game's visual style, but I'm a bit bummed by the chugging framerate when outside. And I'm on a Pro to boot: any word if they'll improve this via patch?

1.) I dunno how to answer this directly
I'd be entering spoiler territory
. You'll see as you go along. You can just avoid it after all.

2.) Some people got a bit funny about this earlier I noticed
By completing an ending you open another route. There's not NG+, you go onto Route B, then Route C/D
but you can change the difficulty whenever.

3.) Yeah that unlocks after a while. Can't remember which point in the game.

4.) Not a question, a statement :p

5.) Nothing I'm aware of.

Hektor

Goliath in the world map

1. That obviously depends on the difficulty you are playing at, having played on hard, the allies were strong and useful during the open world parts, but couldn't do shit against bosses.

I don't think they're making the game too easy.

2.Nope, you can change it wherever and whenever you want, don't need to worry about anything
3. Quick Travel will unlock during the story.

4. Unfortunately that is indeed the case.

Should/Do I need to play Nier before this? I have the PS3 Version sitting at home.

You absolutely don't have to, but if you already own it you totes should. There are some minor but really cool things only people will get that played the original, and of course, the original is an absolutely amazing and outstanding game 110% worth playing.

bryanee

My copy from simply games has arrived. I've reversed the cover and now I have to get through Zelda before I play it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
What is it I read about an install? Do I have to launch the game for it to start? Because that initial disc insert one took like a second.

My limited edition has been shipped. Trying to platinum Nioh before starting Nier Automata, so i can put all my time and mind into Nier (and a little Horizon)

Arkeband

Banned
Random question - did anyone else get two Day One Edition DLC inserts in their copy? I feel like it's not really worth anything because there aren't any editions right now that aren't Day One editions (to my knowledge), but I thought it was weird.

jacobeid

Banned
Loving the positive impressions in this thread. Buying this on PC as soon as I finish Zelda
in a few months at this rate :/

So I came across this side quest and it raised a couple questions of how androids work. Stop me if I'm trying to make sense of something that can't be explained (or if it is explained later), having beaten the first Nier the entire premise of this game doesn't really make sense to me as it is. It's early in the game but I'll spoiler tag it anyway:

I'm supposed to retrieve a memento for 11B who "died" during the factory raid...uh, how? 2B and 9S "died" during that raid too and they just got new bodies with a transferred backup of their memories to the new body. Why is this android dead but 2B and 9S are alive?

So I came across this side quest and it raised a couple questions of how androids work. Stop me if I'm trying to make sense of something that can't be explained (or if it is explained later), having beaten the first Nier the entire premise of this game doesn't really make sense to me as it is. It's early in the game but I'll spoiler tag it anyway:

I'm supposed to retrieve a memento for 11B who "died" during the factory raid...uh, how? 2B and 9S "died" during that raid too and they just got new bodies with a transferred backup of their memories to the new body. Why is this android dead but 2B and 9S are alive?

The quest should answer your question before it's over.

Yup, stop asking questions and trust in yoko :p

Whales

Banned
if I attack anything in the
machine village
or
the disney-like area
will it fuck me over? im scared of pressing an attack button there lol

Anyone having trouble understanding directions and the general layout of the world map? After playing Horizon, I was wondering why this was giving me so much trouble. I think I settled on the fact that N isn't marked on the map, and the map appears at a different position / angle every time I pause. It's making it hard to get my overall bearings.

ChanMan

What a ride so far, that 3rd and 4th boss battles was just nuts to me, has Yoko Toro games always had some of this craziness in them. He breaks so many rules as far as game design it is borderline brilliance and madness lol. My two complaints so far is how you can't really tell the what the recommended levels are for certain sidequest and of the course how the stutters while traversing the open world.

muteki

My free-shipping JP version finally came in from Play Asia. I'm putting Zelda on the back burner for now.

So I played through the first part but died at the end during the boss
with two saws of whatever
. I have to start from the beginning again? I dont have time for that bullshit.

This happened to me too. I was a bit surprised but you do get to check off another ending on your save file for doing it.

BriGuy

Don't know where I am game-wise (looking for a forest?), but I have a quick question: do I want to disable the "self-destruct" option in the game menu? The tutorial made mention of it and I'm questioning its significance.

Zakalwe

Banned
Just finished the first mission. Man, it's as fun as I remember from the demo.

Loving the Akira vibes I'm getting from the soundtrack, and there's a kind of Metal Gear Solid feel to this. I think because it breaks the forth wall/messes with perception with thing she like being able to uninstall your OS chip, etc...

Really digging this so far, getting a much more positive vibe than I did with Horizon which I found a little underwhelming.

Really looking forward to playing more.

Crayon

I got to play a bit more last nite this game is stunning. -_- As soon as I get a few hours or a whole day to really lay into it, I will. For now, just the little I've seen is dancing in my head all day.

Hektor

do you get more stuff for playing on hard or is everything the same?

Everything's the same

Don't know where I am game-wise (looking for a forest?), but I have a quick question: do I want to disable the "self-destruct" option in the game menu? The tutorial made mention of it and I'm questioning its significance.

You don't want/Have to. It's just a silly little gimmick you can activate by holding both sticks pressed

So is there like weapon durability in this game? All of a sudden my secondary sword disappeared, and I can't seem to find it in my menu either...

I heard the story about the reason autosave isn't in this game, but it sort of needs to be. :/ I've encountered two hard crashes and I've lost 30 or so minutes of progress each time. I save pretty often but it's hard to really do it every time especially when there is some story stuff going on and saving is the last thing on your mind.

Caim

So is there like weapon durability in this game? All of a sudden my secondary sword disappeared, and I can't seem to find it in my menu either...

The large sword you had in the factory?

You'll get a message from one of the operators saying you need to go back there to pick it up.

It's just a little sidequest, you can't lose any of the weapons.

Anyone having trouble understanding directions and the general layout of the world map? After playing Horizon, I was wondering why this was giving me so much trouble. I think I settled on the fact that N isn't marked on the map, and the map appears at a different position / angle every time I pause. It's making it hard to get my overall bearings.

If I have an idea where I'm going I always set a marker, it helps since it shows up on the mini map as its own icon.

robotuw

Feels like I'm already late to the party here, but I started digging into the game last night. I've been to the
desert, the amusement park, and the friendly robot village
. Boy, that
boss fight at the desert
was something. No idea what's going on yet but I'm loving it.

Whales

Banned
I got a chip that increases damage dealt after a taunt, now my question is... how the hell do you taunt in this game?

Top Bottom