• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Sure, there's some stupid things in the game.

But the personality of all the characters, are anything but. Not to mention there's zilch fanservice shots anywhere in the game.

Crayon

yeah same here.

this weekend I am glad that I can sit down and just lose myself in it.

Its a work of art imo.

The game does so many things right and actually breaks a lot of grounds as well, its ridiculous. The underlying messages are very powerful as well. I think any PS4 owner should at least give this a try.

I know I'm hoping to really get into it this weekend.

But I noticed a leak under my shower last nite so who knows. :/ Might be cutting into the ceiling all weekend instead.

convo

EU-peasant here, finally have this game and thank god for reversable covers. I'll see how much i can catch up playing on the easiest difficulty.I'll see how fast i can unlock
chapter select
and go hunting for real.And as someone who doesn't care about spoilers, there is still some mega secret shit i haven't seen with my own eyes yet. I have yet to witness the full scale of this madness.

convo

I like that there is a specific moment in the story that shows people who are used to regular old platinum craziness what Yoko Taro branded madness looks like.

Route B spoilers

WHAT THE FUCK THE AMUSEMENT PARK BOSS IS JEAN PAUL'S FANGIRL

Yeah, this revelation blew my mind.

It's amazing how the game took the relatively harmless notion of
sidequest where you play delivery duo to a bunch of crazy fangirls of Sartre who gives no fucks
and amps it up to eleven
by having the opera boss actually be one of those type of girls, except not just casual fangirl but full-on obsessed with desiring his love to the point she went full crazy.

And the game just had to throw the double whammy at the end
by showing that even though Sartre's love was out-of-reach, there was one machine (ring master?) who looked at her and presumably loved her, but she herself was too blinded by her love of Sartre to notice him.

Oui,
Jean Paul Satre and Simone de Beauvoir, both were philosophers
It was funny the 1st thing I was thinking this name does ring a bell lol.

Game probably didn't want us to immediately make the connection/speculation during Route A, and hid the most critical element (full name) till the actual moment itself.

Philippo

I like that there is a specific moment in the story that shows people who are used to regular old platinum craziness what Yoko Taro branded madness looks like.

Man i am so excited for this, as someone who has played most of Taro's games i know what i'm going into, but i've got a few friends that are buying this based on the combat, the android booty and me telling them how crazy these games tend to become.
They're in for a ride they are not expecting at all.

I must admit though, i'm a bit salty because after this they'll start claiming how this blew their mind and callig themselves big fans even if its their first game. I know it's one of those silly "i was cool before you" arguments but still i'm so protective towards the Drakenier franchise and its niche appeal :p

Man i am so excited for this, as someone who has played most of Taro's games i know what i'm going into, but i've got a few friends that are buying this based on the combat, the android booty and me telling them how crazy these games tend to become.
They're in for a ride they are not expecting at all.

I must admit though, i'm a bit salty because after this they'll start claiming how this blew their mind and callig themselves big fans even if its their first game. I know it's one of those silly "i was cool before you" arguments but still i'm so protective towards the Drakenier franchise and its niche appeal :p

I'm the same way to an extent.

Played Drakengard 1/2 & NieR at launch, has been a fan since day one. It's nice to see the unique mind of Taro's work finally in a body of work that's easily more appreciable by more people, but still retain all the heart of his normal work.

I've only played for like 2 hours but I already got (minor spoiler)
the T ending, holy shit I wasn't expecting that :eek:

I'm really loving the game <3

BTW, has anyone else seen that it looks like 2B reacts to you trying to look under her skirt? lol

Yeah, this revelation blew my mind.

It's amazing how the game took the relatively harmless notion of
sidequest where you play delivery duo to a bunch of crazy fangirls of Sartre who gives no fucks
and amps it up to eleven
by having the opera boss actually be one of those type of girls, except not just casual fangirl but full-on obsessed with desiring his love to the point she went full crazy.

And the game just had to throw the double whammy at the end
by showing that even though Sartre's love was out-of-reach, there was one machine (ring master?) who looked at her and presumably loved her, but she herself was too blinded by her love of Sartre to notice him.

Game probably didn't want us to immediately make the connection/speculation during Route A, and hid the most critical element (full name) till the actual moment itself.

Well it makes sense, especially most robots want to know what is their purpose and what is life and a free will for them. I liked it especially, I like philosophical stuff like that.

Having beat this last night at 5am last night, I can safely say this is my favorite taro game, hell this my favorite game period. I really hope it sells decently here, Taro needs to be a household name, this game alone puts him at the very least Kojima levels of brilliance.

ZoronMaro

Is there a way to buy
the platinum trophy without buying all the others? I thought it would be hilarious to do that, but it looks like it won't let me buy it

Also it seems there are some quests that don't have quest makers which explains how I'm still missing a few. I discovered this by
randomly jumping on the concrete in front of the Goliath and a quest popped up out of no where

pezzie

... So the game doesn't allow you to save until after you've beaten the first level ? I've started over twice now. :(

That's right. If it's bothering you, drop down to easy to get past the level. There's no penalty for doing so. Also you can run past like 80% of the enemies, so don't stop and kill everything.

LotusHD

Banned
Okabe
becomes god

I'm just floored how they take a song from the 2nd boss and manage to make it even cooler.

It's not just quality the scope of how much there is in the game is amazing. Like I want to pay badly but I can't see them fitting all of this on 2 or 3 cds.

Yea it's everywhere lol, even for the sidequests

... So the game doesn't allow you to save until after you've beaten the first level ? I've started over twice now. :(

Play on Normal. If it were up to me, I'd post in the OT in bold red letters that it is highly advisable that you play the beginning section on Normal or Easy.

Jiraiza

I mean I did it fine on Normal, but I can understand it can be difficult for people who don't normally play frenetic games

I'm just kidding. I went through it on Hard myself, but I definitely wouldn't recommend doing it on Hard either if you value your time.

It's not just quality the scope of how much there is in the game is amazing. Like I want to pay badly but I can't see them fitting all of this on 2 or 3 cds.

They'll probably split it into a couple of releases like they did with NieR's OSTs (original which was 2 CDs). The DLC music for NieR got its own release. They know they can make good profit on the music and we will buy it all. I know I will. lol.

Jiraiza

The OST is coming with 3 CDs, and a special CD that includes the 8-bit tracks, I think. Not sure if the special CD on Amazon Japan is the same as the one being offered on the Square Enix e-Store in Japan.

Top Bottom