• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Doppie

Banned
"I hate sexualization, therefore it should have bad sales."

Classifies as a shitpost to me. Add in the fact that it's evident you haven't even played the game outside of seeing 2B's butt, go figure.

So, I guess, you do not know what is shitposting? I indeed do not want games who provide some sexual objectification to be a success. Yet, i'm not allowed... yeh, I get it.

Crayon

Whats the status on the PC port?
who is porting it? do we are gonna get good KB+M support at the very least?

Nobody knows. But I can tell you it ain't all roses on ps4. More intense fights run very smoothly as they tend to be in controlled areas but the large exploratory sections can drop a lot of frames.

"I hate sexualization, therefore it should have bad sales."

Classifies as a shitpost to me. Add in the fact that it's evident you haven't even played the game outside of seeing 2B's butt, go figure.

I'm a female feminist girly woman ovary warrior and I spoke with the convent and 2B is cool in our book, so these drive by shit posters can go back to harassing Aloy or Pants!Zelda or something where they're more likely to get the temp ban they deserve

DanceLeaf

Neo Member
There's a sidequest where you gotta invest money in an inventor at Pascals village.I wanted to know if it's worth to keep giving him money. I've spent like 32000 on him so far and haven't gotten anything special and the mission still isn't completed.

Doppie

Banned
2 things, 1. guilty gear doesn't have sexualized characters now? It's a media problem not a nier problem, although unlike many other game I feel like nier actually attempts to justify it.

2. Nier is far more niche then guilty gear, the original game was barely talked about outside of it's fanbase. In fact Taro in general is niche, this is the first time he's finally broken out of that (well I haven't seen sales yet) but no this is niche as hell.

1. Please, for your future posts, stay in the context. I didn't talk about sexualization regarding Guilty Gear, I did talk about being niche.

2. Alright. Regarding the sales and the way it is talked everywhere, it didn't feel very niche.

Hektor

There's a sidequest where you gotta invest money in an inventor at Pascals village.I wanted to know if it's worth to keep giving him money. I've spent like 32000 on him so far and haven't gotten anything special and the mission still isn't completed.

Did you got the pouch yet? It spawns a tamed moose at places like the resistance camp which is fairly useful imho.

Outside of that, hold off until later in the game, it's worth investing into him but it takes a lot to reach the end of the quest.

Can someone PM me a hint. I don't want to blindly read spoilers and i need to be aimed at the right direction. I'll put the question in spoilers.

I'm at the point where you fight the giant whale bosses and have to fine the other YorHa Soldiers including 9S, I went back to the Resistance HQ and met with Popola to get the chip (nice cameo btw) and I'm wondering where to keep looking. I thought I already scoured the entirety of the missile silo area in the sunken city unless I'm missing something

I like Action-RPG games. I simply hate sexualization. Hope I'm allowed to as it seems extremely patriarchy around...

Bummer. Sex is awesome.

So, I guess, you do not know what is shitposting? I indeed do not want games who provide some sexual objectification to be a success. Yet, i'm not allowed... yeh, I get it.

Why can't you just let adults enjoy things you don't? Nobody is being hurt. Actively wanting things to fail because it has some sexualization seems petty. Lots of sexy stuff everywhere you look, you must have lots of negative thoughts it you want everything sexy to fail.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm a female feminist girly woman ovary warrior and I spoke with the convent and 2B is cool in our book, so these drive by shit posters can go back to harassing Aloy or Pants!Zelda or something where they're more likely to get the temp ban they deserve

oy!

Leave Aloy alone :(

I like Action-RPG games. I simply hate sexualization. Hope I'm allowed to as it seems extremely patriarchy around...

It's totally allowed. I'm very much like that as well, and I don't mind calling it out when it's actually an issue. (Dead Island's special edition for example, among others)

But having played the game, I can guarantee that they don't treat 2B or A2 degradingly. They're more powerful than any other 'male' coded character in the game, and the camera never purposely focuses on their breasts, buttocks, etc. Adam, a main character in the game, is, however, introduced completely nude.

Even the self-destruct feature which is player controlled and strips androids of the majority of their clothing can be used on both 9S as well as 2B & A2. (This "nudity" also applies to past bodies which can be found after dying. Both Male & Female bodies are presented the exact same way.)

This isn't even going into how well all three of them are written, and how open minded Yoko Taro is as a director. (Emil is
Gay
, Kaine is
Intersex
, Operator 6O is
Gay
, and so is
11B
.)

I understand what you're looking at, and how it may appear to be an issue on the surface, but trust me - having completed the game entirely - 2B (and NieR: Automata's females in general) are treated with absolute respect. They just happen to look good doing it, and I don't think that's an issue. (9S looks good too.)

Hektor

I have a really bad feeling about this.

afaik this is Platinum's first game on PC, visions of resolution lock

This is actually their fourth game, altho some of their past ports had indeed a resolution lock. That said, Transformers at least supported 4K

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have a really bad feeling about this.

afaik this is Platinum's first game on PC, visions of resolution lock

giphy.gif

1b9.gif

u wot m8?

It's totally allowed. I'm very much like that as well, and I don't mind calling it out when it's actually an issue. (Dead Island's special edition for example, among others)

But having played the game, I can guarantee that they don't treat 2B or A2 degradingly. They're more powerful than any other 'male' coded character in the game, and the camera never purposely focuses on their breasts, buttocks, ets.

Even the self-destruct feature which is player controlled and strips them of the majority of their clothing can be used on both 9S as well as 2B & A2. (This "nudity" also applies to past bodies which can be found after dying. Both Male & Female bodies are presented the exact same way.)

This isn't even going into how well all three of them are written, and how open minded Yoko Taro is as a director. (Emil is
Gay
, Kaine is
Intersex
, Operator 6O is
Gay
, and so is 1
1B
.)

I understand what you're looking at, and how it may appear to be an issue, but trust me - having completed the game entirely - 2B (and NieR: Automata's females in general) are treated absolutely fine as human beings.

Also
Adam is totally nude when you first meet him.

Jiraiza

Because your posts have absolute zero substance other than "muh sexualization". I know a shitpost when I see one since I regularly browse a place known for it.

You're basically saying this game should crash and burn for something that gets literally no focus in the game and that the game has absolutely zero merits aside from the apparent "sexualization" of the MC.

Really?

1. Please, for your future posts, stay in the context. I didn't talk about sexualization regarding Guilty Gear, I did talk about being niche.

2. Alright. Regarding the sales and the way it is talked everywhere, it didn't feel very niche.
I was using it as a comparison, it feels like double standards is all I'm getting at. Anyway point is context matters, if you look at the original nier you had a character wearing almost nothing. The writing justified it, she wasn't sexy in context and I couldn't imagine looking at her as anything but the character. This game does similar things, though to a lesser extent. But even without spoilers..... she's not a person. She's literally created by humans in an image that they want to few as aesthetically pleasing. This isn't like quiet from mgs whose reason was thrown in as an excuse, the costume is part of the character.

DanceLeaf

Neo Member
Did you got the pouch yet? It spawns a tamed moose at places like the resistance camp which is fairly useful imho.

Outside of that, hold off until later in the game, it's worth investing into him but it takes a lot to reach the end of the quest.

Oh wow, I actually did. Will keep the rest in mind. Thanks alot!

Squire

Banned
Funny because every female I know who has played or is playing this game loves the design.

Kallie from GaneSpot was saying in a video she's obsessed with 2Bs outfit and wants to cosplay it.. Like, it's half the reason she wants to stop playing other games to play this. I've always expected it to be a really popular outfit with cosplayers.

Loving this game a lot more than Revengeance. Wasn't much a fan of that. Gameplay in this one just feels better imo.

Transformers was awesome but too short. Nier is just perfect in everything so far, except could use a higher resolution on PS4. Will finish on PS4 Pro though and then rebuy on PC when it's dirt cheap.

Doppie

Banned

But having played the game, I can guarantee that they don't treat 2B or A2 degradingly. They're more powerful than any other 'male' coded character in the game, and the camera never purposely focuses on their breasts, buttocks, etc. Adam, a main character in the game, is, however, introduced completely nude.

Even the self-destruct feature which is player controlled and strips androids of the majority of their clothing can be used on both 9S as well as 2B & A2. (This "nudity" also applies to past bodies which can be found after dying. Both Male & Female bodies are presented the exact same way.)

Gay
, Kaine is
Intersex
, Operator 6O is
Gay
, and so is
11B
.)

I understand what you're looking at, and how it may appear to be an issue on the surface, but trust me - having completed the game entirely - 2B (and NieR: Automata's females in general) are treated with absolute respect. They just happen to look good doing it, and I don't think that's an issue. (9S looks good too.)

Alright. Noted. I'm going to try it out then.

Squire

Banned
If this game sells as well in the US/EU as in Japan, I can't imagine Taro not making another game and PG doing the dev work again.

Nevadatan

Kallie from GaneSpot was saying in a video she's obsessed with 2Bs outfit and wants to cosplay it.. Like, it's half the reason she wants to stop playing other games to play this. I've always expected it to be a really popular outfit with cosplayers.

well, on an interview with famitsu (iirc) producer Yosuke Saito said he requested the main artist Akihiko Yoshida to design the outfits to be easy to cosplay.

cant find the interview tho.

LOLCats

Banned
Guys... what do i do. Im a cheap ass gamer, but ive just finished Yakuza 0 and am thinking about going and getting nier today at that 48$ GCU price...

I was going to wait for a price drop. But i need something to play this weekend.

should i just splurge?

Guys... what do i do. Im a cheap ass gamer, but ive just finished Yakuza 0 and am thinking about going and getting nier today at taht 48$ GCU price...

I was going to wait for a price drop. But i need something to play this weekend.

should i just splurge?

You are asking this in the NieR OT.

The answer is yes. Yes. YES!!!! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!!! :)))))))))

So I died went to go get my body. And I can't for the life of me find it. I see the marker on the mini map and I'm literally right on top of it, but no body. It's pretty annoying since I had some amazing chips on that body.

LotusHD

Banned
Guys... what do i do. Im a cheap ass gamer, but ive just finished Yakuza 0 and am thinking about going and getting nier today at that 48$ GCU price...

should i just splurge?

Get Nier Automata. Support this wonderfully weird game.

Jiraiza

So I died went to go get my body. And I can't for the life of me find it. I see the marker on the mini map and I'm literally right on top of it, but no body. It's pretty annoying since I had some amazing chips on that body.

The red marker is never accurate. Check the entire area.

ChanMan

Is anyone else getting Xenosaga vibes from being on the bunker? The music, the design and color palette are very reminiscent.

Alright. Noted. I'm going to try it out then.

Glad to hear it, let us know your thoughts.

Be aware you need to complete Routes
A, B, and C
and achieve endings
D & E
to experience the full story. (And before you start worrying, replaying anything is kept to an absolute minimum, it doesn't work like that here.)

Jiraiza

Glad to hear it, let us know your thoughts.

Be aware you need to complete Routes
A, B, and C
and achieve endings
D & E
to experience the full story. (And before you start worrying, replaying anything is kept to an absolute minimum, it doesn't work like that here.)

Thumbs up for the peace-making because I was prepared to go nuclear
like a certain character.

ViolentP

Really want to get into this but there's too much on the docket. I need to finish Botw, Horizon, Nioh, and Yakuza 0 in that order as they were the last 4 I picked up. I should be ready for this in 2019.

Rhaknar

this has japanese voices right? the game is way too anime to not play in japanese.

Top Bottom