• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

So this game is definitely interesting but moves very slow. I absolutely think the map and mission structure waypoints are from PS2 and don't know how I feel about the in-game NPC moon head guy acknowledging it and saying "get over it". I really don't like it but yeah it's serviceable enough.
This game just shines so much through its camera work and tone.
combat; why having L2 on just turns this game into playing it for you. the chip system automatically equips the chips to auto do everything. do I need to just sell those out of my inventory for them to not be equipped when using auto equip? bc that setup while interesting is tedious as hell.
this has japanese voices right? the game is way too anime to not play in Japanese.

i dont mind having japanese voices on but they talk so much during combat sections that it's impossible to pay attention to both parts of the scree.

this has japanese voices right? the game is way too anime to not play in japanese.

It does but I read that the subtitles don't always match (dubtitles?).
The english is well done, but I'll go for that Mikasa Ackerman (Yui Ishikawa) voice, considering that the 2nd Attack on Titan season is about to start in April. :)

Jiraiza

this has japanese voices right? the game is way too anime to not play in japanese.

Different experiences in English and Japanese due to how they're portrayed which is likely because of the localization. Japanese is the way to go, but that's just me, though.

So last night I was dicking around exploring and I went back to an area
desert boss
and there were lvl 38 dudes in there and one of em kamikazeed me and I died. Shit, there goes muh chips! So I run back there to retrieve and the same fucker gets me again! Are my chips gone for good or will my first body still be there? Also, what else do you lose when you die besides your chips?

desert boss
and there were lvl 38 dudes in there and one of em kamikazeed me and I died. Shit, there goes muh chips! So I run back there to retrieve and the same fucker gets me again! Are my chips gone for good or will my first body still be there? Also, what else do you lose when you die besides your chips?

Chips are gone for good. You will lose some EXP and the chips you've equipped.

desert boss

You got Souls-ed. Unfortunately if you die again before retrieving your body, it's gone. Hopefully you have a prior save.

desert boss

Pro-tip: If you load your last save, even after this, you'll still have your chips & such. (You'd sacrifice whatever progress you'd made to that point to retain them though.)

Useful if they're really good chips.

ZoronMaro

So there's several chests I can't figure out how to get to and I feel like I've tried everything. Can anyone tell me how to get to the chests that are out of reach?

The most obvious one is in
the sunken city there's two chests on top of a building in the middle of the water too far away from anything for me to get too. There's also one in the forest hidden high up in an arch and one in a building off to the side in the main city.

ChanMan

Different experiences in English and Japanese due to how they're portrayed which is likely because of the localization. Japanese is the way to go, but that's just me, though.

I think the English voices are great but using the Japanese voices in Route B has me liking 9S a little bit more.

psychotron

You got Souls-ed. Unfortunately if you die again before retrieving your body, it's gone.

Pro-tip: If you load your last save, even after this, you'll still have your chips & such. (You'd sacrifice whatever progress you'd made to that point to retain them though.)

Now I'm nervous. I went to the bunker and
self destructed.
Then I continued from the main menu and proceeded. I didn't die or go too much further, but I did save and quit for the night. Are my chips lost? I'm not home to check.

I think the English voices are great but using the Japanese voices in Route B has me liking 9S a little bit more.

Im kinda wondering myself how 9S is in Japanese during Route C. 9S's performance in the dub was simply fantastic and really drove home what was going on.

Ourobolus

Banned
So there's several chests I can't figure out how to get to and I feel like I've tried everything. Can anyone tell me how to get to the chests that are out of reach?

the sunken city there's two chests on top of a building in the middle of the water too far away from anything for me to get too. There's also one in the forest hidden high up in an arch and one in a building off to the side in the main city.

For the flooded city:
Jump, dash, jump again, R1+X to fling yourself forward if needed. It's rough.
For the forest:
by the gate leading to Pascal's, there's a toppled pillar. Climb that and then prepare for some annoying jumps.

Weiss

Banned

whoops wrong chests sorry

ZoronMaro

For the flooded city:
Jump, dash, jump again, R1+X to fling yourself forward if needed. It's rough.
For the forest:
by the gate leading to Pascal's, there's a toppled pillar. Climb that and then prepare for some annoying jumps.

Ah so it really is just "get good" damn I was hoping there was a trick like using wire or something. I didn't know R1+X could propel you forward though that's just the nomal shooting plus jump isn't it?

I assume the city one is the same then and I wonder what others I missed.

Jiraiza

Im kinda wondering myself how 9S is in Japanese during Route C. 9S's performance in the dub was simply fantastic and really drove home what was going on.

He's really good.
Goes from the goody-two shoes he was in the first two routes to a real man with purpose. You can hear it in his voice, too. Big fan of the Japanese dub. His line deliveries for the sad parts are just ;_; especially the flight unit and the quest where he makes the grave with the Lunar Tears.

Now I'm nervous. I went to the bunker and
self destructed.
Then I continued from the main menu and proceeded. I didn't die or go too much further, but I did save and quit for the night. Are my chips lost? I'm not home to check.

If it's any peace of mind, there's no chip that you can't find again.

Abelard

So completing all endings is like 30 hours... approx how many of those hours is replaying stuff? And is is tedious replaying said stuff?

Moaradin

Oh my god. When
Kaine's theme
starts playing at the end of the
Emil's
Memories sidequest...

rejoice.png
rejoice.png
rejoice.png

Ourobolus

Banned
Ah so it really is just "get good" damn I was hoping there was a trick like using wire or something. I didn't know R1+X could propel you forward though that's just the nomal shooting plus jump isn't it?

I assume the city one is the same then and I wonder what others I missed.

Actually let me amend the order. I just did the one in the city:

Jump, Double Jump, Fling, Dash, Float.

Yes, it's shoot+jump.

Been playing this game all week -- I'm just passed the boss fight they showed at E3 (
The opera fight, holy shit. That was some Undertale-level shit there
)

A few observations:

1. Wow, this game pulled me away from Zelda. I think it's the soundtrack, honestly. Or the almost..old-school, sort-of rough around the edges game design. I..I like that charm.

2. The 2D sections really FEEL like proper 2D sections.

3. The art direction is incredible -- even though the graphics aren't necessarily the best, the art direction makes up for that in spades.

4. I'm getting some stuttering when I start running fast in the open world. Is this normal? Like....I'm almost running faster than the game wants to load? Having lots of texture pop-up and LOD issues, too (PS4 Pro here). It might be my HDD, since I'm using a user-replaced 2TB HDD that I've had for a bit.

5. HOLY CRAP THIS SOUNDTRACK IS FANTASTIC.

I -loved- Nier, so, yes I'm a little biased, but this is everything I hoped it would be and more. It's incredibly surreal to play a sequel to a game like Nier, and it's equally surreal that it's actually a competent game, too.
2017 is truly a golden age of gaming.

mollipen

There must be some seriously bad shit that goes down for there to be 9S haters. He's been so endearing so far. (Still on Route A)

I found him to go back and forth between being an obnoxious brat and a clingy annoyance through most of the game. His whole
"OMG call me Nines let's be besties"
made me want to punch him. And, while his hacking ability is interesting, it kind of gets old after a while.

Plus, I mean—there's his huge flaw of
being male
. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Once he gets all "shit just got real" he finally turns into an interesting character though.

Crayon

Anyone else find the story of the alt account who opened their heart to the game right before being banned poignent?

LotusHD

Banned
I found him to go back and forth between being an obnoxious brat and a clingy annoyance through most of the game. His whole
"OMG call me Nines let's be besties"
made me want to punch him. And, while his hacking ability is interesting, it kind of gets old after a while.

Plus, I mean—there's his huge flaw of
being male
. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Once he gets all "shit just got real" he finally turns into an interesting character though.

I see...

Anyone else find the story of the alt account who opened their heart to the game right before being banned poignent?

Lol maybe. At first glance I assumed they weren't serious about buying and playing it.

Pretty crazy people are getting all the endings in 30 hours. I'm 18 hours in and still in route A lol.

Same.

DarkStream

First time
Nier player.
Finished Route A 5 minutes ago.
I'm so emotionally messed up right now.
This game, damn!

The whole thing took me 20 hours and I just wanna jump back in!

Am I the only one who doesn't think this game is overly anime? I mean..Compared to what? XV? Zelda? Nioh? Persona? Neptunia? It's just a little old trope that admitting that you're playing a new game developed in Japan has to be a self depreciating animu trash joke.

This isn't really in reference to any specific thing I've seen in this thread, just the general feeling of reception I've seen that's like "well it's a JRPG which is an automatic strike against it, but still..give it a chance!"

Nothus

Did anybody else not get the forest theme when their download started?
Everything else queued up to begin downloading but the theme isn't there.
It was the only reason I pre-ordered the digital version ffs!

benzopil

Guys I'm stupid (first walkthrough)

Where do I find 9S after I get a scanner for my Pod? I tried underground tunnel but can't reach the area where he's supposed to be.

Jiraiza

Am I the only one who doesn't think this game is overly anime? I mean..Compared to what? XV? Zelda? Nioh? Persona? Neptunia? It's just a little old trope that admitting that you're playing a new game developed in Japan has to be a self depreciating animu trash joke.

This isn't really in reference to any specific thing I've seen in this thread, just the general feeling of reception I've seen that's like "well it's a JRPG which is an automatic strike against it, but still..give it a chance!"

There's some typical anime tropes here and there, but the presentation is unique enough that it pulls away from what'd you see in a typical anime, I feel. Definitely not something cheesy like a Tales game for example. And the Western influence in the game pulls the title away from just being overly doused in Japanese culture.

Chips are gone for good. You will lose some EXP and the chips you've equipped.

You got Souls-ed. Unfortunately if you die again before retrieving your body, it's gone. Hopefully you have a prior save.

Goddamnit.... I considered a reload but I hadn't saved in a while... I don't think I had anything that I cant buy again. I'll just have to go do some fishing. Any particularly good spots for getting crap to sell?

ZoronMaro

Actually let me amend the order. I just did the one in the city:

Jump, Double Jump, Fling, Dash, Float.

Yes, it's shoot+jump.

Okay that fling changes everything, got the city one first try, thanks man!

E: Man why isn't this tech in the tutorials is there any online list of moves the game doesn't tell you about?

LotusHD

Banned

I don't really think much of it. There's some little Japanese quirks I suppose, but I'm loving the fuck out of the story. Hell those quirks probably make me love it even more. Honestly, I can no longer be bothered with people that like to dismiss games like that.

Guys I'm stupid (first walkthrough)

Where do I find 9S after I get a scanner for my Pod? I tried underground tunnel but can't reach the area where he's supposed to be.

Go to the City Ruins, the underground cave to be specific. Though before that, I think you have to speak to the YorHa member in the Flooded City area that tells you where he is.

Markoman

So, played 3 hours in a row. 4:30h into the game now. What in god's name is this?!?!?!?!

Just when you think that Platinum may have reached their creative peak...

Don't know where to start...combat? Hell yeah! Music? Hell yeah! Story and world building? Hell yeah!

My only issue: Performance on normal PS4. We need a patch for sure. Otherwise, well fuck it, I will have to double dip on PC. Taro and PG deserve every dollar for this jewel.

Third boss is one of the best things I have seen in 32 years of gaming. No hyperbole.
Even the trailers weren't able to spoil it's awesomeness.

benzopil

Go to the City Ruins, the underground cave to be specific. Though before that, I think you have to speak to the YorHa member in the Flooded City area that tells you where he is.

Completely forgot about that place, damn. Thanks a lot. Yes, I spoke to that NPC but couldn't figure out where should I go. I'm terrible at reading maps.

Top Bottom