• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
Completely forgot about that place, damn. Thanks a lot. Yes, I spoke to that NPC but couldn't figure out where should I go. I'm terrible at reading maps.

You're not alone. I only knew where to look because I got fed up and looked it up real quick lol

Once he gets all "shit just got real" he finally turns into an interesting character though.

Major props to his voice actor when this happens.

So completing all endings is like 30 hours... approx how many of those hours is replaying stuff? And is is tedious replaying said stuff?

Route B is tedious, but its not really cause you repeating stuff, it how your repeating it. My playtime was 40 hours on hard doing alot of side quests, but only like 5 was spent on route B.

Okay that fling changes everything, got the city one first try, thanks man!

E: Man why isn't this tech in the tutorials is there any online list of moves the game doesn't tell you about?

Happened upon this the other day. Didn't know about the fling!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/5y5oqs/mild_location_spoilers_traversal_tips_for/

And I think I will post it since it really isn't documented any where in the game.

Jump + Podfire - Pod fling.

While airborne: (Hold) Jump - Pod glide.

While Pod gliding: (Hold) Jump + Attack - Pod Spin.

Jump + Secondary Attack - Rising Attack, (gives extra height.)

Jiraiza

*screen goes black*

"oh nier, what wacky shit are you going to do this time?"

*game crashes*
CHv1XlrWoAAMrFV.png

How is there not an amazing Future Press guide for this game? Or any decent guide at all, for that matter?

I'd love one for this game, honestly feel like I am missing out on some side quests...would be nice to have a book to flick through to make sure like I did with the first game back in the day (2010 OG here, man, Nier was my first game I ever pre-ordered on Amazon). Ah well.

I don't really think much of it. There's some little Japanese quirks I suppose, but I'm loving the fuck out of the story. Hell those quirks probably make me love it even more. Honestly, I can no longer be bothered with people that like to dismiss games like that.
There are JRPG quirks for sure and I wouldn't have it any other way. But you're right. It's pointless to reason with people like that on the topic

There's some typical anime tropes here and there, but the presentation is unique enough that it pulls away from what'd you see in a typical anime, I feel. Definitely not something cheesy like a Tales game for example. And the Western influence in the game pulls the title away from just being overly doused in Japanese culture.
That's how I feel. I mean, I could also say "lol about to go have an intense cinematic experience with this AAA ND game"

So they knew the map was a mess but..Is it punishment, or a joke, or they just couldn't be bothered to fix it? I'm doing okay with it but god it is annoying

The audio in this game is amazing! Not just the quality of the music, but the transition audio when going into a different area and going back again. Very nice.

Qurupeke

I finished Route A and 50% of the sidequests on about 25 hours, it's seems plausible that the game is around 50 hours long. On my second playthrough now.

So, which endings are story related and which ones are joke endings?

I finished Route A and 50% of the sidequests on about 25 hours, it's seems plausible that the game is around 50 hours long. On my second playthrough now.

So, which endings are story related and which ones are joke endings?

Routes
A, B, and C
, as well as Endings
D & E
are the main story/endings. F-Z are Joke Endings.

Weiss

Banned
Yo some of these sidequests are fucking with me something fierce.

Wandering Couple especially.

EDIT:
Retrieve the Confidential Intel
is EVEN WORSE.

I revived what I thought was a player body (it gave me the prayer prompt and everything), then it bowed to me and (route C spoilers)
tried to kill me, I had to hack it to death since it was like 30 levels higher than me. Is this a Route C thing or what the fuck. It was at the entrance to the amusement park Key tower.

Route A

I just fought
a golden tank
and a single
golden robot
for the past half hour, even though I was two level above them. WTH?!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Am I the only one who doesn't think this game is overly anime? I mean..Compared to what? XV? Zelda? Nioh? Persona? Neptunia? It's just a little old trope that admitting that you're playing a new game developed in Japan has to be a self depreciating animu trash joke.

This isn't really in reference to any specific thing I've seen in this thread, just the general feeling of reception I've seen that's like "well it's a JRPG which is an automatic strike against it, but still..give it a chance!"

its an annoying mindset to deal with. Everything is anime or its not. I don't understand that concept.

I mean, its kind of the type of thing YT tries to deconstruct on an average basis

I revived what I thought was a player body (it gave me the prayer prompt and everything), then it bowed to me and (route C spoilers)
tried to kill me, I had to hack it to death since it was like 30 levels higher than me. Is this a Route C thing or what the fuck. It was at the entrance to the amusement park Key tower.

That's never happened to me.
I could have sworn I read that the bodies you repair could potentially attack you but since it never happened to me in any route I figured I had misread it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
well yeah. if it's anime it's anime. if it's not it's not.

I'm saying, i'm tired of the black and white kind of mindsets where if it has one Japanese-ish thing or has some tropes, its anime/weaboo whatever

This never used to be the spot Japanese media was in

Samaritan

Will I eventually be able to get a chip that shows the locations of all unopened treasure chests particularly for
9S
You sure will! It'll show the location of all unopened chests on your radar, as well as all item pickups. It's sold by a vendor who appears near the very end of Route A, but you can get it pretty early on in Route C as well.

You sure will! It'll show the location of all unopened chests on your radar, as well as all item pickups. It's sold by a vendor who appears near the very end of Route A, but you can get it pretty early on in Route C as well.
I must have missed them then....I just started B.
Who was it? Is 9S the only one to unlock the hacked chests/doors?

Still on first playthrough, just got done some sidequests in the forest and went back into the city because a new "shop" was roaming around. Saw three golden enemies that 2B remarked about that are level 25. Despite being level 28, I could barely scratch them (doing less than against a level 40 boss I just faced).

So what's their deal?

Finally done with Zelda, this or Hollow Knight is up next. Hopefully someone can assuage my core concern from the previews: What's the verdict on enemy/environment variety?

I feel like low enemy variety has been an issue in tons of games lately, Zelda and Nioh both come to mind (Horizon gets a pass because of how insanely intricate the 20-ish enemies are).

True Fire

Finally done with Zelda, this or Hollow Knight is up next. Hopefully someone can assuage my core concern from the previews: What's the verdict on enemy/environment variety?

I feel like low enemy variety has been an issue in tons of games lately, Zelda and Nioh both come to mind (Horizon gets a pass because of how insanely intricate the 20-ish enemies are).

Automata addresses enemy variety in a very unorthodox way. I would avoid asking questions about the enemies until you finish Route A tbh.

Top Bottom