• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Satch

Banned
So is it normal to beat the first ending and have no idea what's going on?

QbadP.png

Hikami

Kinda glad I was underleved for a lot of the boss fights. I've been watching people on Youtube to see their reactions to them and most were overleved and just melting them. Gonna switch to Hard on my next route though, even when underleveled it felt a bit too easy on Normal.

How long did it take people here to get ending A?

15 hours here, only did a few sidequests.

Ourobolus

Banned
Kinda glad I was underleved for a lot of the boss fights. I've been watching people on Youtube to see their reactions to them and most were overleved and just melting them. Gonna switch to Hard on my next route though, even when underleveled it felt a bit too easy on Normal.

Actually, yeah, that was my experience. Pretty much after Ending A, all boss fights except for
Hegel
(beginning of route C) were cakewalks.

So uh got this part where
Apparently the robot pope just up and died. And these followers chant "become as gods" as they attempt to murder you. And this piece of music starts and it sounds like the lyrics are chanting the same phrase?
Like what is even happening?

Apparently the robot pope just up and died. And these followers chant "become as gods" as they attempt to murder you. And this piece of music starts and it sounds like the lyrics are chanting the same phrase?

Yoko Taro is happening.

Ourobolus

Banned

welcome to nier, enjoy your stay

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

BECOME AS GODS

you'll find out eventually

Moonkid

Route A done thank gawd.

So a happy ending is it ;) I look forward to the rest of the routes.

Route B

Oh lmao well they're certainly not pulling any punches from the get go.

CHC

This game sounds much more interesting than I expected.

I haven't played a Yoko Taro game before so forgive me if this question sounds pretentious or anything, but is the weirdness of this game ultimately meaningful / thought provoking? Like, is there room for analysis and interpretation about what is going on, or is it mostly just whacky stuff for the sake of it?

I haven't played a Yoko Taro game before so forgive me if this question sounds pretentious or anything, but is the weirdness of this game ultimately meaningful / thought provoking? Like, is there room for analysis and interpretation about what is going on, or is it mostly just whacky stuff for the sake of it?

Everything has meaning.

Samaritan

Absolutely. NieRly (ha ha) all of Yoko Taro's weirdness has a point, it's not just to be weird.

Moonkid

Regarding an option you have from the start of Route B

How does the voice changer work? The robots and androids sound the same so far. Still on the prologue mind you but I put it on the default notch and can't tell what's different.

Also, I'm pretty thankful I can ask away in this thread without fear of spoilers. Thanks all!

Silvard

was it? I was too distracted by your Counter Strike wallpapers

damn it Hektor stop shooting fools and help this man!

As you wish

NG+ works rather differently in Automata. Nothing is truly missable, you can only repeat sidequests at a very late point of the game tho

Thanks a lot guys, I don't really understand but I guess I'll just have to play.

On another note I just spent an hour fighting a level 40 enemy as a level 14 for a sidequest:
Father Servo
. I imagine it was not supposed to be that hard and it's only a level difference? If so then how could I have possibly gotten to a level where I could do this by now?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Yoko Taro always sends a statement.

There's always a reason for everything at all times, if you could not tell from the history of Drakenier itself. He's not just a weirdo, he's also a creative visionary with an oddball sense of humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD6xCLlF5dY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO_d3fwTNPo

Going to get this game from PSN later today, just a quick question about the patches. Now I read that update 1.03 just came out, but there's also talk about 1.05 on other sites. Is it just a different naming convention because the western version came out a bit later and the first few patches were already included, or is the japanese version ahead a couple of patches?

Man there is way too much grinding for materials and gold.

In hot damn does the game Run like butt in the Forest Zone even playing on the PS4 Pro.

Game is good so far for sure.

For real in a way I can't explain Yoko Taro had made stories that fundamentally change me, this game very much included. More then any movie, book, and especially games he has literally helped shaped my belief system and view of the world. It sounds like bullshit but even back from drakengard 1 it made me look at all other media differently. Oh nier made me look at war differently, drakengard 3 made me look at people who scare me differently, and this had the biggest impact on me out of all of them. Ending e man, ending e.

When a story convinces you the reason to never take your own life I do seriously consider life changing.... especially in these times.

Squire

Banned
Probably worth in the chip
for fishing, huh? Might get the ones for EXP and sound waves, too. I'm certain there's something a The spot in the desert with the high pitched sound.

Due to the depth of what Yoko Taro's games tap into, his messages don't always resonate with everyone, but for those it touches, it leaves a strong emotional impact. It's not a miracle that Drakengard 1,3 & Nier are games that continue to be talked about years after its release.

For me, the weirdest analogy that I came to when discussing what makes Yoko Taro special (to me), is well... a bit of a morbid example, but I have come away thinking this before.

I'm a huge fan of Berserk. I think it's easily one of the masterclass of a fantasy story of any kind.

If Kentaro Miura (of Berserk fame) passed away without completing that series, Yoko Taro is the only creative in the whole world who I think is truly worthy of continuing that series creatively.

There's a method to the madness and creativity of Yoko Taro. Even when he betrays your feelings and expectations by delivering the worst possible outcomes, his work has never not felt hopeful, even amidst lunacy and destruction. Even with the works of his that is filled with 99% dread, that 1% of hope/positive & light at the end of the tunnel is what defines his work.

Start of B route.
They actually recorded what I did when I was adjusting the brightness/audio settings after the tutorial and played it back perfectly.
This game.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I swear I always wanna complete all the side quests before I move on with the main quest. Ugh! This is why I don't play RPGs. 😡

Most of the sidequest have been great so far though. Lots of good story.

Well, most of the time the story payoff for the quest comes at the end, so the experience of playing through the quest themselves can be a bore depending on the quest.

E.g. The Treasure Hunt at the Castle is a pretty boring quest where the
wham moment comes at the end when it turns out it's basically a revenge quest

Milijango

Aye aye. (Some will be Vending Machines, but the rest are side quests.)

Shit I'm never finishing this game.

It looks like there's one way below the factory from the start of the game. Am I directionally challenged, or do I need to wait for some event to make that accessible?

But they're sooooo boring.

Okay now I have to say something not gushing about nier so this kinda hurts. The side quests range from great to meh.... But honestly the main story is so much more important if people couldn't handle doing them I get it. Don't get me wrong some of it's amazing content, but that main quest is the real meat

Ourobolus

Banned
Man there is way too much grinding for materials and gold.

In hot damn does the game Run like butt in the Forest Zone even playing on the PS4 Pro.

Game is good so far for sure.

What are you grinding for? The grinding in this game is so, so, so, good compared to the original Nier.

In the sense that you can buy most materials rather than hunting for them.

Kain

This game. This fucking game. I haven't played much but it's the original Nier with Platinum combat and Yoshida designs on top of that. Can't handle this huge amount of awesome. HALP.

What are you grinding for? The grinding in this game is so, so, so, good compared to the original Nier.

In the sense that you can buy most materials rather than hunting for them.

Something being better than completely and utter shit doesn't deserve a lot of merit though

Top Bottom