• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

It's here :D

mogfUsB.jpg

vU7dpaW.jpg

tkD7nx0.jpg

Squire

Banned
Route B question:

What was that first scene explaining the robots saying again? The one that plays in the desert? I was so shocked when it started o don't recall the specifics.

mcz117chief

So I played around 5-6 hours of this game and so far it's pretty underwhelming:

The good stuff:
  • It didn't crash
  • There are a few decent music pieces
  • The initial Raptor/Ikaruga section was amazing and totally wish the whole game would be like that
  • You can make the AI partner disable his AI as not to distract you and attack everything within a mile radius.
  • Stable framerate most of the time

The bad stuff:
Combat is really meh to bad: either you can play it safe and shoot everything but it takes a damn century to kill even the weakest enemies and the stronger ones can take up to 15 minutes or you can do melee which is broken half the time. Half the time when I dodge I magically appear 10 meters above the ground swinging at the wind for no reason, why can't I stay on the ground after dodge every time? Why is it so random? And worst of all, why does the camera, especially during boss fights, just acts like "you know, that corner over there is so amazing, let me scan it for 2 or 3 minutes"?!?! Now my camera is stuck somewhere and I can't see shit so I have to play by looking at the mini map?! Action game where you play through the mini map, what the actual ****...

The graphics are laughably bad apart from the main characters: Literally PS2 quality on a lot of stuff, no hyperbole. The textures on buildings are shockingly bad, apart from resolution this could easily pass for a PS2 game when it comes to environments and character models (apart from main characters).

Side quests are annoying as all hell: Literally running around the whole world without any form of fast travel is just so annoying and not fun at all (
Jean-Pier quest
) Maybe they get better as the story progresses but so far it's been pretty terrible.

The writing: Pretty bad. The pod is absolute 0 compared to Weiss and the characters also have no personality. Why do they all have numbers and letters as names? I can't remember any of their names since they don't have any. Why couldn't the protagonist be called Yorha, the boy scout Thomas and the operator Lenore or something. Instead everyone is R2D2 or C3PO (
the boy scout tried to make the main girl call him "Nines" which would be so much better, but she's like "no", what a cunt
). I especially don't understand why the characters establish rules about the world and then are broken within seconds (
"emotions are forbidden"
or some such nonsense and then everybody proceeds to have them, EVERYONE, including the commanders, dispatchers, etc. etc., they didn't even try). All the characters are so flat, boring and just uninteresting. I don't feel like I need to know any of them, they just go around killing dudes, that is the extent of their personality. Characters in Call of Duty are more fun and interesting than the ones here. It's not like Kainé who you meet and you are instantly intrigued by her choice of attire, her speech, motives, history, everything. You just try to suck up everything about her, Weiss, Emil, Zero, Octa, Popola, Devola, etc. to get to know them better because they are all such fantastic characters. Also, why are the androids acting like they are hurt like people? What is the advantage of programming an android to roll around on the ground saying "I won't make it, aaarrrrggghh, you must leave me behind." holding their damaged parts and pretending they are in agony? I was hoping they would act like Data from Star Trek, that would have been much better.

The story so far seems extremely shallow and bangs the "robots good, humans bad" rhetoric over your head over and over and over again during the first couple of hours. I don't know if the writers felt like we are utterly stupid that we couldn't connect the dots ourselves unless they explicitly told us how evil we are, it all feels so patronising and dumb. It really feels like the entire story is done about two hours in and the rest is just filler but maybe there will be some interesting twists later on.

The bosses: so far they have all been trash tier, really can't say anything else about those.

Overall: it isn't an absolute travesty of a game, it kind of is fun from time to time and the robots are really cute so I think I will play it a little bit more to see if maybe the story gets better but for me it's around 5/10. A pretty average action game with some good perks but a lot of really bad ones. When I compare this to games like Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish or Bayonetta it really is a bad game. For example Metal Gear Rising has much more fun combat, far superior characters, bosses, graphics and even music, especially the boss themes which are just amazing. There really isn't anything about Automata so far that would astound me apart from the starting Ikaruga section. It was obvious that this game wouldn't reach the heights of NieR but I did expect a little bit more regardless.

Some questions:
Do weapons change as they level up? I upgraded a couple and they all look the same.

Does the focus of the game change further in or is this primarily just a beat 'em game throughout?

Did anyone find Kainé's sword(s)?

Is there some form of fast travel unlocked further in the game?

Boy that's one of the worst previews of the game I've read.

You will unlock the fast travel option halfway through the game and you really haven't seen anything yet.

Maybe I'm just not there yet (mid route B, a bit before the
split
would logically occur) but I'm not seeing why they slapped an M on this one. It's a total non issue, of course. Game ratings are just an interesting topic to me. Obviously Nier had the wonderful Kaine, and other things, and Drakengard is..Drakengard.

So maybe just reputation, or some WTF moment I haven't hit yet.

I'm not sure how you could've played 5-6 without unlocking fast travel yet but it will happen very soon at least. Also the characters aren't humans......
Yep, that's another point. The characters are androids, so that's the names they are given.

Honestly that itself is established really early on. How could you have missed it?

Hikami

Half the time when I dodge I magically appear 10 meters above the ground swinging at the wind for no reason, why can't I stay on the ground after dodge every time? Why is it so random?

Depends on what you do after you dodge. If you dodge and hit the pod fire button for example, you'll shoot some sort of explosive. Dodge + light attack or heavy attack (not sure which one), makes you launch the enemy up (if they can be launched, otherwise they'll just stay on the ground) along with yourself so that's why you're above the ground.
Edit: it's weapon based apparently, I only ever used short swords.

Half the time when I dodge I magically appear 10 meters above the ground swinging at the wind for no reason, why can't I stay on the ground after dodge every time? Why is it so random?

It's not random. That's the counter move for short swords. You should be dodging towards enemies with it equipped. Other weapon types have different counter moves after you dodge. Try switching weapons or using strong attack for different counter moves.

Exentryk

Combat is really meh to bad: Half the time when I dodge I magically appear 10 meters above the ground swinging at the wind for no reason, why can't I stay on the ground after dodge every time? Why is it so random?

Maybe you should learn how to play first. If you just dodge and don't press any attack button after, you will stay on the ground. Attack buttons after dodge result in different moves depending on weapons equipped.

mcz117chief

Depends on what you do after you dodge. If you dodge and hit the pod fire button for example, you'll shoot some sort of explosive. Dodge + light attack or heavy attack (not sure which one), makes you launch the enemy up (if they can be launched, otherwise they'll just stay on the ground) along with yourself so that's why you're above the ground.
Edit: it's weapon based apparently, I only ever used short swords.

All right, that explains it, thanks

I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting, but i'm here to say most of your complaints are nonsense

No, they aren't

Yep, that's another point. The characters are androids, so that's the names they are given.

Honestly that itself is established really early on. How could you have missed it?

I know they are androids, I said that multiple times in my post, that doesn't explain why the can't have proper names.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No, they aren't

Yes they are. Combat is bad apparently because you don't know what a perfect dodge counter is, graphics suck even though the art style is what sells the game's world, story is somehow trash even though you literally are like 10% done with the game and less than halfway done with the first route, nitpicking on characters names as if you don't even know basic backstory of the game, its all very incredulous claims without much substance and a lot of hyperbole

Like how does one have a Kaine avatar with that mindset. You surely could not have gone through the original game

I know they are androids, I said that multiple times in my post, that doesn't explain why the can't have proper names.

It literally does. Which human would bother to name mass-produced androids that are working under them? A letter to describe it's functionality (S for Scanner, B for Battle, D for Defense, O for Operator) plus a number to separate it is all that's needed. It's just being consistent with the premise of the plot.

mcz117chief

Like how does one have a Kaine avatar with that mindset. You surely could not have gone through the original game

Many times. The original game has no such problems. Some could say that the framerate wasn't perfect in the first game but apart from that it is a vastly superior game in all aspects.

I didn't say the story is trash only that it is shallow and I much prefer the story telling in NieR as well as character and pretty much everything.

The character name thing is a small thing for sure but it still is dumb and I don't like it.

And there is no hyperbole, what I said is perfectly reasonable.

Explain to me how it is hyperbole or an "incredulous claim" when the camera just decided to take a piss randomly for minutes at a time with no way to reset it making the player play the game via the mini map? How is that good game design in any way shape or form?

It literally does. Which human would bother to name mass-produced androids that are working under them? A letter to describe it's functionality (S for Scanner, B for Battle, D for Defense, O for Operator) plus a number to separate it is all that's needed. It's just being consistent with the premise of the plot.

So why did the boy scout offer the main character a name by which to call him? They obviously have some sort of psyche so they developed names to distinguish one from the other, it is perfectly reasonable to have names.

Squire

Banned
Your post reads like you have some sort of axe to grind, Chief. Inu is right; If you're five hours in and not impressed, you're well within your right to express it, but you're making a lot of hard calls out of ignorance as evidenced by your post itself.

The story is bad... but you don't even have fast-travel yet.
The combat is bad... but you don't even understand the most basic mechanics of it.

It's a little hard to take seriously.

So why did the boy scout offer the main character a name by which to call him? They obviously have some sort of psyche so they developed names to distinguish one from the other, it is perfectly reasonable to have names.

That's the whole point. They are named like they are because they are androids, tools that humans use. They are exactly that to their creators, the humans, hence the naming. The fact that some try to give themselves nicknames is supposed to show us that they probably maybe have an actual consciousness and feelings. Then there are some like 2B who try to serve the purpose the humans gave her and don't act like they are necessary of something like a name.

Many times. The original game has no such problems. Some could say that the framerate wasn't perfect in the first game but apart from that it is a vastly superior game in all aspects.

This is complete revisionism, the original Nier was frequently criticized for it's lacking technical aspects. Automata certainly isn't as much behind the times in graphical prowess as the original Nier, and even if it was, it's as the other poster said the art style that makes the visuals as good as they are.

DKL

If people want to commentate on the annoying parts about the combat system, at least bring up something that makes sense like how everything has active hit boxes in witch time or how parry still involves mashing forward until it works :v

mcz117chief

Your post reads like you have some sort of axe to grind, Chief. Inu is right; If you're five hours in and not impressed, you're well within your right to express it, but you're making a lot of hard calls out of ignorance as evidenced by your post itself.

The story is bad... but you don't even have fast-travel yet.
The combat is bad... but you don't even understand the most basic mechanics of it.

It's a little hard to take seriously.

Hikami explained to me how the counter mechanics work so now it is no longer an issues and I didn't say the story is bad, it is just shallow and uninteresting. You don't have the same sense of wonder like in the original NieR where the world is slowly explained to you through side quests and such, here it's all in the opening screen "Robots came, humans fight with androids, you are that android, go kill some robots.", like, I wrote all that in that post I don't understand why I have to repeat myself, maybe I worded it wrong but I never said the story is bad, it's just average.

That's the whole point. They are named like they are because they are androids, tools that humans use. They are exactly that to their creators, the humans, hence the naming. The fact that some try to give themselves nicknames is supposed to show us that they probably maybe have an actual consciousness and feelings. Then there are some like 2B who try to serve the purpose the humans gave her and don't act like they are necessary of something like a name.

They probably maybe have an actual consciousness and feelings? Umm, it's pretty obvious from the first few seconds that they do and also explains why you are constantly being broadcast propaganda, why the characters crave social contact and live like normal people. They aren't tools, they are artificial people through and through much much more than actual androids like Data from Star Trek. The do pretty much everything normal people do, the only activity I haven't seen them do is eating.

This is complete revisionism, the original Nier was frequently criticized for it's lacking technical aspects.

For a small game with small budget it is very good. It works fine.

Acid08

Banned

This is actually absolute insanity. The first Nier had some stuff going for it, all story related, but it was otherwise pretty rough and bad. Even just playing the Automata demo should have been enough to make it abundantly clear how much better playing it is.

Just fucking crazy, man.

If people want to commentate on the annoying parts about the combat system, at least bring up something that makes sense like how everything has active hit boxes in witch time or how parry still involves mashing forward until it works :v
The hit boxes on spears from enemies are diabolical.

mcz117chief

This is actually absolute insanity. The first Nier had some stuff going for it, all story related, but it was otherwise pretty rough and bad. Even just playing the Automata demo should have been enough to make it abundantly clear how much better playing it is.

Just fucking crazy, man.

Well I definitely had much more fun with NieR than with Automata. I didn't play the demo though, I didn't want to get spoiled. The thing is, about the original NieR, that the serviceable gameplay is there to propel the story and allow the person to participate in an amazing adventure, while in Automata the gameplay is the main focus of the whole experience. It could, theoretically, be just gauntlet of battles without any dialogue or anything and, as far as the first few hours go, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

That lunge move just kills me every time lol

And the fact that it's a OHKO on hard is kinda whack, but I've mostly just grown accustomed to jumping those enemies every time I want to dodge them.
I shared the same tactic.

The combat designer had some cool ideas, but a lot of these choices are questionable. I do find it to be a little absurd that you do not have i-frames whilst picking up your body or other bodies.

ebil

That lunge move just kills me every time lol

And the fact that it's a OHKO on hard is kinda whack, but I've mostly just grown accustomed to jumping those enemies every time I want to dodge them.
I'll forever remember that lunge move coming from behind while I was stuck in a dialogue sequence.

These robots are dicks.

Squire

Banned
I shared the same tactic.

The combat designer had some cool ideas, but a lot of these choices are questionable. I do find it to be a little absurd that you do not have i-frames whilst picking up your body or other bodies.

That the reliquary system isn't just turned off for boss fights is kind of nuts. Like, they could patch that in and make the game even better. I don't mind retrying, but scrambling around, trying to pick up my chipset is pretty annoying.

Slater

Banned
Well I definitely had much more fun with NieR than with Automata. I didn't play the demo though, I didn't want to get spoiled. The thing is, about the original NieR, that the serviceable gameplay is there to propel the story and allow the person to participate in an amazing adventure, while in Automata the gameplay is the main focus of the whole experience. It could, theoretically, be just gauntlet of battles without any dialogue or anything and, as far as the first few hours go, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Offffffff you really need to stop talking and actually get through the game you are so absurdly wrong about what is the focus of the game is it hurts

Lynx_7

Yes they are. Combat is bad apparently because you don't know what a perfect dodge counter is, graphics suck even though the art style is what sells the game's world, story is somehow trash even though you literally are like 10% done with the game and less than halfway done with the first route, nitpicking on characters names as if you don't even know basic backstory of the game, its all very incredulous claims without much substance and a lot of hyperbole
I disagree with his opinions on the combat, but I can't say he's really wrong about the graphics. From the admittedly very little I've seen of the game, which is just the demo area and an abandoned looking city, the environments look pretty boring even though I tend to like post-apocalyptic stuff. Maybe that's just a bad sample of the game's world and there are better looking areas out there, but it doesn't make a very strong first impression. Well, at least I really loved the visuals/atmosphere from that one trailer with the opera singer boss fight, so I hope that's more representative of the game's visuals as a whole than the other areas I've seen.

I disagree with his opinions on the combat, but I can't say he's really wrong about the graphics. From the admittedly very little I've seen of the game, which is just the demo area and an abandoned looking city, the environments look pretty boring even though I tend to like post-apocalyptic stuff. Maybe that's just a bad sample of the game's world and there are better looking areas out there, but it doesn't make a very strong first impression. Well, at least I really loved the visuals/atmosphere from that one trailer with the opera singer boss fight, so I hope that's more representative of the game's visuals as a whole than the other areas I've seen.
Well if you want to say about the overall world design, not really. The world is as drab as it gets, because that's the color direction they were going for.

I didn't really mind it, although I worried about when going back to game after shelving it for a while to play Horizon. It ended up not bothering me much at all.

SkylineRKR

I think the graphics look fine, they have this clean look that clearly prioritizes 60fps. As a result it plays much smoother and faster than, say, Horizon.

The combat is good. This isn't a character action game. I think it plays better than the likes of Darksiders and especially the first NieR. Weapons have different properties. The spear square attack does a horizontal slash after the dodge. The triangle attack launches.

It doesn't take a lot to impress me from a visual standpoint. I thought that Automata's visuals were incredible.

Then again, I don't care about graphics like most. Gameplay is the first thing I pay attention to.

They probably maybe have an actual consciousness and feelings? Umm, it's pretty obvious from the first few seconds that they do and also explains why you are constantly being broadcast propaganda, why the characters crave social contact and live like normal people. They aren't tools, they are artificial people through and through much much more than actual androids like Data from Star Trek. The do pretty much everything normal people do, the only activity I haven't seen them do is eating.

I was being a bit sarcastic there. Most androids behave very much like humans, with the exception of 2B and the operator of 9S for example. That doesn't change the fact that humans don't regard them as such, and it would completely take away from the premise if the androids all used normal names, because the only scenario in which all androids would openly use names and regard themselves equal to human would be in an uprising against said creators. It's perfectly consistent with the plot that they have to adhere to the naming the humans used for them. So I don't see how that "wouldn't make any sense."

For a small game with small budget it is very good. It works fine.

Same reasoning applies to Automata. Are you trying to insinuate that Automata had a huge budget? Because they sure as hell didn't have a budget like a Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts or a Just Cause, or any other high profile game published by Square Enix. Your PS2 comparison is most certainly hyperbole, the only shortcomings in graphics are with anti-aliasing on OG PS4, some frame drops and some textures that don't look quite good if you focus on them too much.
Animations, character design, world design and so on are top notch. The graphical shortcomings are very typical for a game without a very high budget.

Zakalwe

Banned

You've barely played Automata. You didn't even pay attention enough to the combat to understand how it worked before proclaiming it broken, and you haven't even unlocked fast travel.

Go play the game yourself, and pay attention while you do, and most of your problems will disappear.

Squire

Banned

O don't mean to attack you, but you don't know what you're talking about and you're piggy-backing off of a post by some else that doesn't know what they're talking about.

There's more to the game than that demo level. Not only is the art direction good, its diverse, too. It definitely carries the look of the game.

Zakalwe

Banned
"PS2 level environments" is pure nonsense.

Yes, this isn't Horizon, but imo it's a much more visually interesting game.

It looks fantastic despite its limitations.

"PS2 level environments" is pure nonsense.

Yes, this isn't Horizon, but imo it's a much more visually interesting game.

It looks fantastic despite its limitations.
Honestly disagree, because Horizon's locations not only have more variety but looks incredible.

Still like I said, doesn't detract anything from this game from being one of the best this year.

Two questions.

1: Where can I farm Streched Coil?

2: Regarding the sub quest 11B's Momento.
I chose to tell 16D about 11B, what would've happened if I didn't choose that, would the rewards be different?

Jiraiza

I feel like the appropriate response to "combat is bad" posts is to just post GIFs. Just sayin'.

Not to say it's super deep like DMC or whatever, but it has enough variety and quirks that make it plenty deep for an action RPG.

Ourobolus

Banned
Offffffff you really need to stop talking and actually get through the game you are so absurdly wrong about what is the focus of the game is it hurts

Meh, clearly they are concerned that a more focused gameplay (combat) experience detracts from the rest of the story. It's really why I could never get into any games with stories after the genius that was Zork.

Two questions.

1: Where can I farm Streched Coil?

2: Regarding the sub quest 11B's Momento.
I chose to tell 16D about 11B, what would've happened if I didn't choose that, would the rewards be different?

You can eventually buy them
no - cue BRSxIgnition's post

True Fire

So I played around 5-6 hours of this game and so far it's pretty underwhelming:

The good stuff:
  • It didn't crash
  • There are a few decent music pieces
  • The initial Raptor/Ikaruga section was amazing and totally wish the whole game would be like that
  • You can make the AI partner disable his AI as not to distract you and attack everything within a mile radius.
  • Stable framerate most of the time

The bad stuff:
Combat is really meh to bad: either you can play it safe and shoot everything but it takes a damn century to kill even the weakest enemies and the stronger ones can take up to 15 minutes or you can do melee which is broken half the time. Half the time when I dodge I magically appear 10 meters above the ground swinging at the wind for no reason, why can't I stay on the ground after dodge every time? Why is it so random? And worst of all, why does the camera, especially during boss fights, just acts like "you know, that corner over there is so amazing, let me scan it for 2 or 3 minutes"?!?! Now my camera is stuck somewhere and I can't see shit so I have to play by looking at the mini map?! Action game where you play through the mini map, what the actual ****...

The graphics are laughably bad apart from the main characters: Literally PS2 quality on a lot of stuff, no hyperbole. The textures on buildings are shockingly bad, apart from resolution this could easily pass for a PS2 game when it comes to environments and character models (apart from main characters).

Side quests are annoying as all hell: Literally running around the whole world without any form of fast travel is just so annoying and not fun at all (
Jean-Pier quest
) Maybe they get better as the story progresses but so far it's been pretty terrible.

The writing: Pretty bad. The pod is absolute 0 compared to Weiss and the characters also have no personality. Why do they all have numbers and letters as names? I can't remember any of their names since they don't have any. Why couldn't the protagonist be called Yorha, the boy scout Thomas and the operator Lenore or something. Instead everyone is R2D2 or C3PO (
the boy scout tried to make the main girl call him "Nines" which would be so much better, but she's like "no", what a cunt
). I especially don't understand why the characters establish rules about the world and then are broken within seconds (
"emotions are forbidden"
or some such nonsense and then everybody proceeds to have them, EVERYONE, including the commanders, dispatchers, etc. etc., they didn't even try). All the characters are so flat, boring and just uninteresting. I don't feel like I need to know any of them, they just go around killing dudes, that is the extent of their personality. Characters in Call of Duty are more fun and interesting than the ones here. It's not like Kainé who you meet and you are instantly intrigued by her choice of attire, her speech, motives, history, everything. You just try to suck up everything about her, Weiss, Emil, Zero, Octa, Popola, Devola, etc. to get to know them better because they are all such fantastic characters. Also, why are the androids acting like they are hurt like people? What is the advantage of programming an android to roll around on the ground saying "I won't make it, aaarrrrggghh, you must leave me behind." holding their damaged parts and pretending they are in agony? I was hoping they would act like Data from Star Trek, that would have been much better.

The story so far seems extremely shallow and bangs the "robots good, humans bad" rhetoric over your head over and over and over again during the first couple of hours. I don't know if the writers felt like we are utterly stupid that we couldn't connect the dots ourselves unless they explicitly told us how evil we are, it all feels so patronising and dumb. It really feels like the entire story is done about two hours in and the rest is just filler but maybe there will be some interesting twists later on.

The bosses: so far they have all been trash tier, really can't say anything else about those.

Overall: it isn't an absolute travesty of a game, it kind of is fun from time to time and the robots are really cute so I think I will play it a little bit more to see if maybe the story gets better but for me it's around 5/10. A pretty average action game with some good perks but a lot of really bad ones. When I compare this to games like Metal Gear Rising, Vanquish or Bayonetta it really is a bad game. For example Metal Gear Rising has much more fun combat, far superior characters, bosses, graphics and even music, especially the boss themes which are just amazing. There really isn't anything about Automata so far that would astound me apart from the starting Ikaruga section. It was obvious that this game wouldn't reach the heights of NieR but I did expect a little bit more regardless.

Some questions:
Do weapons change as they level up? I upgraded a couple and they all look the same.

Does the focus of the game change further in or is this primarily just a beat 'em game throughout?

Did anyone find Kainé's sword(s)?

Is there some form of fast travel unlocked further in the game?

You just need to stop playing. This obviously isn't the game you want to play. Go play Call of Duty or something.

Top Bottom