• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Baalzebup

Finally started on this and just unlocked the weapons vendor in the Resistance camp and I already see a few old friends. I can tell I'll be doing a stupid amounts of grinding in this as my mentality tends to acquiring all the new toys like the chip upgrades, extra slots and new weapons ASAP.

The music seems to be absolutely phenomenal.

Aenima

... Zuh? No way. The level design is passable, and that's it imo. There's literally nothing interesting about it.

It also made me remind of the souls games the way the levels are designed. Its more open in NieR, but when u go to a new area, thers usually a shortcut that you can open for faster travels between the zones.

There's elements of Souls level design, but the core of it is that of a semi-large open hub that connects to distinct locations across the open map that blends in open-world design and more tighter corridors.

It doesn't have the more subtle intricacies of the spaghetti labyrinth that harsher Souls levels can have. Automata is pretty straight forward, by and large.

Exentryk

*deflated*

The demo area was very well designed and had some neat shortcuts. Don't know about the full game, but the areas seem more open there.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Weiss

Banned
Route B spoilers

You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?

This game, man. I swear to God.
I really like how blatant it's being about retreading plot twists from NieR, though I'm hoping this doesn't end in another save annihilating.

Gbraga

The demo area was very well designed and had some neat shortcuts. Don't know about the full game, but the areas seem more open there.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I adore this kind of unintentional shortcut that people find using the game's movement mechanics.

Doing some of the skips are my favorite parts of my Dark Souls 1 playthroughs. The Duke Skip is brilliant, and skipping Ceaseless Discharge is fun as all hell too.

A lot of people prefer not to give devs credits for them, as they were obviously unintentional, but I personally think it's the kind of thing that's only possible because of the open approach to level design and movement mechanics that they have.

Most games would just put a giant death box or invisible walls to prevent you from trying anything other than the intended path, and skips in those games are restricted to glitching out of bounds, but in these gifs and the Dark Souls examples I mentioned, you're just cleverly using the mechanics to navigate through the environment, not breaking the game.

Aenima

I adore this kind of unintentional shortcut that people find using the game's movement mechanics.

Doing some of the skips are my favorite parts of my Dark Souls 1 playthroughs. The Duke Skip is brilliant, and skipping Ceaseless Discharge is fun as all hell too.

A lot of people prefer not to give devs credits for them, as they were obviously unintentional, but I personally think it's the kind of thing that's only possible because of the open approach to level design and movement mechanics that they have.

Most games would just put a giant death box or invisible walls to prevent you from trying anything other than the intended path, and skips in those games are restricted to glitching out of bounds, but in these gifs and the Dark Souls examples I mentioned, you're just cleverly using the mechanics to navigate through the environment, not breaking the game.
Those are actually intentional shortcuts. When u advance normally you can then lower the bridge and the crane for easy travel without using the leet jump skills travel.

Exentryk

A lot of people prefer not to give devs credits for them, as they were obviously unintentional,

These shortcuts are intentional from the other side though. Just that I'm doing them here from the unintended side :p

How do I continue to launch myself higher in the air like that?

Double jump, Light and Heavy Attacks from Heavy Sword (IIRC) in air, etc., can give you more air. You can also use Jump quickly followed by Attack to perform a launcher to get a decent amount of height, then use the above moves for even more height.

Gbraga

Those are actually intentional shortcuts. When u advance normally you can then lower the bridge and the crane for easy travel without using the leet jump skills travel.

These shortcuts are intentional from the other side though. Just that I'm doing them here from the unintended side :p

I know, but you skip portions of the level and save time by doing it the unintended way, which makes for awesome speedruns. Traversing itself being fun is key to make me care about speedruns.

Just like going through the lava part of Demon Ruins is intended as well after you beat Ceaseless Discharge and drain it, but you can do it before that by cleverly using the mechanics, letting you entirely skip what would otherwise be a mandatory boss fight.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Those shortcuts are intentional, it's just that the gifs are showing them possible to traverse in reverse through means of unintentional verticality exploits, which I guess is neat but completely unnecessary. I suppose it could benefit speedruns...

Gbraga

Those shortcuts are intentional, it's just that the gifs are showing them possible to traverse in reverse through means of unintentional verticality exploits, which I guess is neat but completely unnecessary. I suppose it could benefit speedruns...

Doing it before getting to the point where you're supposed to unlock the shortcut is definitely not intentional, though, that's my point.

Like you can jump from the stairs in Anor Londo and open the intentional shortcut that leads to the boss fight. That shortcut is intended, but you were supposed to go through a lot more before getting to it, and can bypass all of that by jumping at the right spot.

Unintentional, but only possible because of how the level is connected and the mechanics don't restrict you and allow you to do whatever you want within its limitations.

I encounter 3
golden?
machines same level as me, I'm not sure if they are tied to a sidequest or not since there was no marker. Spent fun 15 minutes hitting these bullet sponge enemies, their attacks aren't particularly dangerous, I get 1 of them down. Then one of them suddenly has a 1 shot attack and the whole ordeal went to waste.

Game design 10/10. I'm seriously thinking about just skipping everything that isn't a main quest, there hasn't been a single side quest/activity I don't consider at best skippable and at worst fuckin annoying.

Last night I completed the opening mission. I am loving this game, the shift in perspective etc. One thing I need help on is the dodge/first boss. No spoilers here but I know how to dodge but during the boss encounters I would dodge and sometimes there was slow motion to hit the bad guy other times nothing.

Is the slow motion thing connected to the timing of the dodge or does it just happen automatically when fighting a boss?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Last night I completed the opening mission. I am loving this game, the shift in perspective etc. One thing I need help on is the dodge/first boss. No spoilers here but I know how to dodge but during the boss encounters I would dodge and sometimes there was slow motion to hit the bad guy other times nothing.

Is the slow motion thing connected to the timing of the dodge or does it just happen automatically when fighting a boss?

If you dodge at the last second you get the slow down. Too early and you dont

LotusHD

Banned
I recall previous talk about the bosses not being as good as Platinum's past games or the first Nier, but I've been more than satisfied with what I fought through Route A alone.

psychotron

I encounter 3
golden?
machines same level as me, I'm not sure if they are tied to a sidequest or not since there was no marker. Spent fun 15 minutes hitting these bullet sponge enemies, their attacks aren't particularly dangerous, I get 1 of them down. Then one of them suddenly has a 1 shot attack and the whole ordeal went to waste.

Game design 10/10. I'm seriously thinking about just skipping everything that isn't a main quest, there hasn't been a single side quest/activity I don't consider at best skippable and at worst fuckin annoying.

It's open world. You're going to run across high level enemies. If there was no marker, then just come back later. Some side quests aren't great, but I usually find something in them that make it worth it. For instance, one quest has you retrieve a
music
box. Nothing great about it at all until you complete it. There's something very subtle that happens which gave me major feels and made the whole thing worth it. Also, some have longer lasting effects, such as dialogue that comes up that'll make you laugh / sad.

jonjonaug

I encounter 3
golden?

Leave the golden machines for Route B, they're not meant to be killable on A.

DKF590

Any word on that the continuous Combo chip does?

You can dodge without having the combo reset from the start of the chain. For example you can dodge in the middle of the standard light attack chain and continue in the chain where you left off.

DKF590

Thanks for the recommendations, Ill try both of them.

I would recommend dodge on a shoulder button if you are someone who likes to dive deep on combat systems.

There are a few attacks done by pressing dodge + attack at the same time. For example dodge+light attack with the short sword in the air throws your sword out ahead in a spin attack and is a great way to break the armor off of enemies.

pezzie

I think I recall y'all saying 9S had another type of weapon or something he could use? If so, where is it?

He can use the same 4 weapon types. I recommend you try his spear throw, which is using the spear and holding down the attack button. It is OP.

Exentryk

Been busy working on my build spreadsheet. Got it working such that it can automatically pull up (minimum) costs once you enter the ability names (and ranks). Might finish it by tomorrow if I get time.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...oing-crazy-impressive-things-in-nier-automata

Eurogamer article showcasing some videos of interesting Nier combat.
The combat seems to have some hidden depth or at least not obvious depth, very impressed with the bare hand battles

Isn't that spoiling one of the best boss battles in this game? I recommend not watching it.

Clov

Just finished Route A and started Route B.

Route A spoilers:
Actually pretty disappointed by that ending. As much as I like 9S, I think I would have liked it better more if he stayed dead. To have an ending that happy doesn't seem very Yoko Taro-esque, but maybe I'll find something out in the next route that will turn it on its head.

Route B:
Is this whole route going to just be the same thing, but from 9S' point of view? I hope there's at least some differences in the story. Hacking is fun, at least.

Been busy working on my build spreadsheet. Got it working such that it can automatically pull up (minimum) costs once you enter the ability names (and ranks). Might finish it by tomorrow if I get time.

Isn't that spoiling one of the best boss battles in this game? I recommend not watching it.

Fair point. I haven't played it yet (heading home after travelling around Scotland) but will tonight.

The article only said secret bosses, I hoped folk would read the article and decide for themselves if they wanted a boss fight spoiled or not.

It seems like you need a lot of extra buffs etc to make bare hand viable

Jolkien

Just made it to the Flooded City and I came across two gold colored machine, do they expect us to kill them or we just get past them ? They can take an absurd amount of punishment. I'm barely making a dent, they are level 25 and I'm 30.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not a fan of Nioh either, and I also adore the Souls games, and Nier is a masterpiece to me. Still didn't play Automata, but the impressions from most fans seems to be "at least as good as the first", with many saying it's Yoko Taro's best game yet.

I've seen its level design compared to Dark Souls 1 a few times, so that's pretty exciting.

Nier is way more story-driven and based on exploration, talking to NPCs, cutscenes that actually make sense and are tied well to the gameplay segments, and this sort of thing.

"At least as good as the first" would take a lot of revisionism.

This game is superior to the first in almost every way possible. Not sure about story yet as I'm only a few hours into my first run, but so far it's headed in a good direction.

LotusHD

Banned
Just made it to the Flooded City and I came across two gold colored machine, do they expect us to kill them or we just get past them ? They can take an absurd amount of punishment. I'm barely making a dent, they are level 25 and I'm 30.

9S can kill it through his hacking in a later playthrough.

Gbraga

"At least as good as the first" would take a lot of revisionism.

This game is superior to the first in almost every way possible. Not sure about story yet as I'm only a few hours into my first run, but so far it's headed in a good direction.

Well, I consider the first to be one of the best games of last gen, so it's not an easy task, in my eyes.

Top Bottom