• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Hagi

What are people playing with audio wise? English or Japanese? I started with Japanese but I'm thinking of changing because I keep missing the subtitles during action scenes.

What are people playing with audio wise? English or Japanese? I started with Japanese but I'm thinking of changing because I keep missing the subtitles during action scenes.

I did English. The voice acting was very good, especially for 9S and Eve IMO.

Samaritan

I played all the way through in English. I intended to play in Japanese after playing through the demo twice, once in each language. But I'm glad I settled on English. The dub is actually quite extraordinary and never once felt like a dub, really. You won't be disappointed by it if you choose to go with English.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

English dub is pretty good. There is 1 character that hams it up but it works still.

What a thing to wake up to in the morning.

A3bCtx3.png

how is the story for someone who got all the endings?

Damn good.

"At least as good as the first" would take a lot of revisionism.

This game is superior to the first in almost every way possible. Not sure about story yet as I'm only a few hours into my first run, but so far it's headed in a good direction.

The other improvements are nice to have, but given that the story is the most important part I can't say it's as good as the first until I've finished it. Though it is looking good so far.

Hagi

I did English. The voice acting was very good, especially for 9S and Eve IMO.

I played all the way through in English. I intended to play in Japanese after playing through the demo twice, once in each language. But I'm glad I settled on English. The dub is actually quite extraordinary and never once felt like a dub, really. You won't be disappointed by it if you choose to go with English.

English dub is pretty good. There is 1 character that hams it up but it works still.

That's great guys I'll give the dub a go later on. I only got up to the end of the demo section but the game seems really cool so far.

Game crashing several times at
Pascal's Village
WTF? Also, there's 2 bodies in that are where you climb up a ladder and it's tricky to get up because they're in the way right as you go up. Da fuq.

Tried to turn off beast mode but I haven't gone back to the area where it crashed.

I've replayed the intro about four times on hard difficulty

I got close the other night, but the guardian one-shotted me with a buzzsaw drop when I flubbed the invincibility dodge frames. I went back to my normal difficulty save that was already a few hours in and continued the game after that. I'm no character action game expert, but the intro is a huge hurdle when you take into account the punishing one-hit kills that some of the enemies can land and lack of any check points.

Jiraiza

English seems to be the favorite here, but I find the Japanese better. English isn't so tonally accurate of the characters, I feel.

joe2187

Banned
How are you holding up ;_;

But yeah, the unskippable shit is brutal.

Starting the game off on those difficulties is definitely for the more experienced. Im just starting the game right out the gate and I'm having a rough time.

I'll start off on normal now because...what the fuck.

Question regarding Route B:

I'm at the point where I find the aliens underground. So far so good. In the moment when Adam and Eve disappear in a specific camera zoom stands the hologram of a woman to their left. Captured the footage, just in case. Was she there in Route A too? And is there an explanation regarding her later on?

Jiraiza

Question regarding Route B:

I'm at the point where I find the aliens underground. So far so good. In the moment when Adam and Eve disappear in a specific camera zoom stands the hologram of a woman to their left. Captured the footage, just in case. Was she there in Route A too? And is there an explanation regarding her later on?

Yes. Keep playing.

Starting the game off on those difficulties is definitely for the more experienced. Im just starting the game right out the gate and I'm having a rough time.

Yeah just get on with it. The rest of the game (that I've played) is pretty manageable.

Slater

Banned
It makes me happy that Nier has had two of the best dubs of each games generation. 9S in particular stands out as some of the best I've ever heard in a game once you get into the deep shit

Jolkien

So I have a question about sidequest disapearing.

Flooded City main story spoiler:
9S disappeared and now all my side quest I had left to do are gone, did I fucked up ? Or I'll get the opportunity to do them again later down the story ?

DKL

Even if you're experienced, it's hard to deal with a 30 minute checkpoint :v

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just finished Route A and started Route B.

Route A spoilers:
Actually pretty disappointed by that ending. As much as I like 9S, I think I would have liked it better more if he stayed dead. To have an ending that happy doesn't seem very Yoko Taro-esque, but maybe I'll find something out in the next route that will turn it on its head.

Route B:
Is this whole route going to just be the same thing, but from 9S' point of view? I hope there's at least some differences in the story. Hacking is fun, at least.

To expect something from YT is to expect predictability

Peroroncino

Impulse bought it today and... H O L Y S H I T, it's a blast, if the first hour is any indication of the rest of the game, then I guess something truly special is ahead of me.

Weiss

Banned
The part in Route B where
9S takes over a machine who can only jump and dash backward
fucking sucks.

I'm sorta torn. NieR was tight. This game has a lot more content, most of it better than NieR, but I wonder how to feel about the overall package when there's moments like this.

Although this really isn't much of a sequel to NieR, and I think that's for the better.

The part in Route B where
9S takes over a machine who can only jump and dash backward
fucking sucks.

I'm sorta torn. NieR was tight. This game has a lot more content, most of it better than NieR, but I wonder how to feel about the overall package when there's moments like this.

Although this really isn't much of a sequel to NieR, and I think that's for the better.

You can move around a lot faster by turning around and backdashing in the direction you want to go.

DKL

You can move around a lot faster by turning around and backdashing in the direction you want to go.

Yo I remember doing this lol

Also, this section highlighted a more problematic thing for me: it seems like the game actually does have the ability to reload quickly (I think it was reloading all the initial enemy states too, but I should play again to be sure), but we have to be treated to a loading screen every time we fail for some reason >_>

Weiss

Banned

I know, but then there's the bit on the conveyor belt with the flier shooting at you which stuns you, drags you back and opens you up for further damage.

It's a little bundle of awful.

Weiss

Banned
MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR ROUTE B YO

Holy shit humanity is extinct! Nier totally fucked everything up after all!

ChanMan

Finishing up route B with Japanese VO (Finished Route A with English VO) and while 2B sounds a little sweeter and 9S voice is pretty good I feel like it isn't that much of a difference for those who may be torn between the two.

Do side quests have any merit besides dialogue and item rewards? I'm in Route B, so not too keen on doing some quests I already did in Route A and not too motivated for some I didn't do yet. If it's for a trophy or something, can I leave side quests for after I got the True Ending?

DKL

This shit actually blew my mind, particularly how I was initially presented the information, which was actually pretty dry, but I feel like that's why it had so much impact.

But yeah, it's stuff like that that makes me want to go back and play the original game because I'm wondering what the revelation means in the context of that game lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

that's why yoko taro said people would be more confused going into nier A if they were veteran players of his games than if they were newcomers. Obviously in Nier we know humans all died off through the direct events in that game. The whole basic outline of this game essentially was a lie made up by the androids. Its much more haunting to know

This shit actually blew my mind, particularly how I was initially presented the information, which was actually pretty dry, but I feel like that's why it had so much impact.

But yeah, it's stuff like that that makes me want to go back and play the original game because I'm wondering what the revelation means in the context of that game lol

It means everything.

Top Bottom