• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry to say this, but honestly playing a Yoko Taro game on VD is really asking for pain lol.

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR ROUTE B YO

Holy shit humanity is extinct! Nier totally fucked everything up after all!

I can't explain the feeling I had all route a trying to understand how this was a sequel, it felt like hours of the ballroom scene from og nier. Just pure madness.... irony being alien part was true.

VpomRurd

Do side quests have any merit besides dialogue and item rewards? I'm in Route B, so not too keen on doing some quests I already did in Route A and not too motivated for some I didn't do yet. If it's for a trophy or something, can I leave side quests for after I got the True Ending?

I thought sidequests you complete in Route A carry over to B and C? Is that wrong?

Combat is really meh to bad: either you can play it safe and shoot everything but it takes a damn century to kill even the weakest enemies and the stronger ones can take up to 15 minutes or you can do melee which is broken half the time.

One would think after the first 10 minutes of shooting a single enemy the thought would cross your mind that maybe the gun isn't meant to be used as a primary weapon.

This shit actually blew my mind, particularly how I was initially presented the information, which was actually pretty dry, but I feel like that's why it had so much impact.

But yeah, it's stuff like that that makes me want to go back and play the original game because I'm wondering what the revelation means in the context of that game lol

Basically anyone who had played OG nier was scratching their head how humanity could possibly be alive at all.

LOLCats

Banned
Those huge frame drops on the pro in the city ruins are jarring. I actually went and googled DF tests to figure out what was going on. Hopefully its just in this area mostly.

Weiss

Banned
And that's route B.

I have mixed feelings.
9S just doesn't have the crazy fluidity of 2B, and the hacking minigame inevitably gets repetitive when it's the easiest way to do massive damage to enemies. The new story beats felt like a deliberate retread of NieR, where each of the bosses are given backstory and details. Bar none the most batshit moment was when the Commander just casually reveals the extinction of the human race and this entire war is basically just a big ploy. That was fucking incredible. And the insight into 9S' character was great and really fleshed him out.

I might take a break for a while and play some other stuff before returning. I'm really excited to dive into Route C as it seems
to be entirely new content. I just hope I get to be Best Waifu of 2017 2B again.

WinFonda

dunno how i feel about this game after putting 8 hrs or so into it... but i think its fair to say like it less than the first Nier.

The main issue for me is the world, characters, and general storytelling were so much more engaging for me in Nier 1. Nier 1 had an energy and charisma to it that the sequel isn't capturing. I immediately cared more for its characters; helped by the writing and acting which were also a cut above Nier 2, I feel. I remember laughing and getting emotional quite a bit during the first Nier, but that's not happening so much with this game. And the only thing that's really makin me feel giddy with Nier nostalgia, is the music, which is still fantastic.

Other than that, Nier 2 has more refined gameplay but still feels dated in some of the same ways the original Nier did. Perhaps its coming off playing Nioh, but having 'just' a good combat system isn't really impressing me thus far.

Just got picked up my copy before work today. Now I just have that nightshift to get through. :/
I should never get games before work again. This is torture.

Hektor

And that's route B.

I have mixed feelings.
9S just doesn't have the crazy fluidity of 2B, and the hacking minigame inevitably gets repetitive when it's the easiest way to do massive damage to enemies. The new story beats felt like a deliberate retread of NieR, where each of the bosses are given backstory and details. Bar none the most batshit moment was when the Commander just casually reveals the extinction of the human race and this entire war is basically just a big ploy. That was fucking incredible. And the insight into 9S' character was great and really fleshed him out.

I might take a break for a while and play some other stuff before returning. I'm really excited to dive into Route C as it seems
to be entirely new content. I just hope I get to be Best Waifu of 2017 2B again.

How can you see THAT video and decide to take a break

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
dunno how i feel about this game after putting 8 hrs or so into it... but i think its fair to say like it less than the first Nier.

The main issue for me is the world, characters, and general storytelling were so much more engaging for me in Nier 1. Nier 1 had an energy and charisma to it that the sequel isn't capturing. I immediately cared more for its characters; helped by the writing and acting which were also a cut above Nier 2, I feel. I remember laughing and getting emotional quite a bit during the first Nier, but that's not happening so much with this game. And the only thing that's really makin me feel giddy with Nier nostalgia, is the music, which is still fantastic.

Other than that, Nier 2 has more refined gameplay but still feels dated in some of the same ways the original Nier did. Perhaps its coming off playing Nioh, but having 'just' a good combat system isn't really impressing me thus far.

This game is not nier 2. That's your first problem. The way the story develops, how it is told and is structured, and even many of its emotional beats are not the same.

Going into this as if its supposed to recreate Nier is the wrong attitude. Its telling a different message

DieH@rd

Banned
I just got to the first "meh" area of the game [IMO], the one with
conveyor belts and enviromental one-hit-kills
. Hopefully the rest of the game will return to the regular greatness.

WinFonda

This game is not nier 2. That's your first problem. The way the story develops, how it is told and is structured, and even many of its emotional beats are not the same.

Going into this as if its supposed to recreate Nier is the wrong attitude. Its telling a different message

I was using Nier 1 and Nier 2 for simplicity's sake, not to be technical. And i know it's got a different tone, which is why i just explained the game overall isn't doing it for me.

psychotron

Those huge frame drops on the pro in the city ruins are jarring. I actually went and googled DF tests to figure out what was going on. Hopefully its just in this area mostly.

It's not. Some spots are better than others but it's been there for me through many areas.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I was using Nier 1 and Nier 2 for simplicity's sake, not to be technical. And i know it's got a different tone, which is why i just explained the game overall isn't doing it for me.

if you've only played 8 hours, i'm assuming you have only played a part of route A?

Like the original Drakengard 1 and the original nier, it would have been nothing special without B, C and D

And that's route B.

I have mixed feelings.

Yea i find it strange how people keep saying YT doesnt do the same thing twice, yet he spends alot of route B doing just that.
Anyway i really recommend continuing playing now the plot is about to get good.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Well, I've given it a couple of hours now and honestly I'm struggling to see the appeal. Combat is quite fluid, though I find top down view breaks a lot of the melee mechanics by making enemy movement almost impossible to read.

Aside from that, the story and acting do little to draw you in and the environments - particularly once you're out in the open world are so barren as to look almost unfinished.

Last of all, why - in a future where mechs and androids are commonplace - is the map an indecipherable cluster-fuck of grey blocks?

Yea i find it strange how people keep saying YT doesnt do the same thing twice, yet he spends alot of route B doing just that.

He doesn't make the same game twice, as in every game he makes has a drastically different feel and story to it. That's not really talking about new game plus. My advice if people have having a rough time with the replaying of the section just rush through it, takes me about 4 hours if I speed through to get back to entirely original content or at least content that is radically different.

Weiss

Banned

To expand on this,
when I say "deliberate retread" I meant that the similarities to the NG+ of NieR were there to mae the player believe the game was just going to be the exact same as NieR.

Aside from that, the story and acting do little to draw you in and the environments - particularly once you're out in the open world are so barren as to look almost unfinished.

Last of all, why - in a future where mechs and androids are commonplace - is the map an indecipherable cluster-fuck of grey blocks?

The world is barren because... there's no more people left. Just some animals and a few androids mostly there for recon purposes. It's an open world game, but it's not really a sandbox one.

As for the map, it's addressed later on.

Weiss

Banned
The world is barren because... there's no more people left. Just some animals and a few androids mostly there for recon purposes. It's an open world game, but it's not really a sandbox one.

As for the map, it's addressed later on.

I mean, it's addressed in that the game tells you to shut up and stop whining about it.

Setsu00

Well, I've given it a couple of hours now and honestly I'm struggling to see the appeal. Combat is quite fluid, though I find top down view breaks a lot of the melee mechanics by making enemy movement almost impossible to read.

Play the game and find out.

If you are to lazy to do that (Warning - includes major spoilers for all routes):
It's actually foreshadowing for one of the game's twists. Adam - one of the most advanced machine life forms - is heavily associated with cubes as he tries to reconstruct "humanity" from cubes. Hitting Adam during his boss fight in the Copied City also causes him to drop cubes. It's eventually revealed that the YorHa units were based in part on the machine life forms. So yeah, it's basically another hint at the truth about what's going on.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Play the game and find out.

If you are to lazy to do that (Warning - includes major spoilers for all routes):
It's actually foreshadowing for one of the game's twists. Adam - one of the most advanced machine life forms - is heavily associated with cubes as he tries to reconstruct "humanity" from cubes. Hitting Adam during his boss fight in the Copied City also causes him to drop cubes. It's eventually revealed that the YorHa units were based in part on the machine life forms. So yeah, it's basically another hint at the truth about what's going on.

Meaningful as it might be, it makes it a pain in the arse to read.

LotusHD

Banned
Just beat route A.
Pr message lol, anyone that reviewed and gave up after one play through the is a moron

Yea I'm like, how is someone not at least a little curious as to what happens next? o_o

----

Route B:
Simone huh... Dem feels.

isitstill

I'm a noob with a total noob question:

I played through the intro, went into the ruined city, and was playing late last night and fell asleep.

My quest tells me to eliminate the machines in the desert. I don't know where the desert is.

The bigger problem is, I'm back in the intro area and can't figure out how to go anywhere else. I just run around the intro area endlessly.

Edit: nevermind, I'm a dummy

First sidequest failed due to advancing story mission.
wandering couple
mission was the one that I had to fail. First run so will probably do it properly that time. Great game so far and avoid trailers and information allowed me to have a genuine shock reaction.

Top Bottom