• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

jonjonaug

Spoiler-question regarding the music, can I expect OG tunes aside from
Song of the Ancients and Emil
on the way to Ending E?I put it down a difficulty notch from normal to easy, made it less of a chore.

Lots of the soundtrack is remixes from the original Nier, although some tracks are more obvious than others.

CAUSE WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT LOUD

EVEN IF OUR WORDS SEEM MEANINGLESS

ITS LIKE IM CARRYING THE WEIGHT OF THE WORLD

BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
BibleThump.png
God that track sets the mood perfectly.

Wagram

The game just started into the question i've had since the game started. If you played the original Nier you probably have thought about this at some point.

Satch

Banned
if any of you guys have zelda and are fretting about music u should turn on the music from Automata

the city ruins music while im riding my horse in the rain
Kreygasm.png
Kreygasm.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The game just started into the question i've had since the game started. If you played the original Nier you probably have thought about this at some point.

Well yeah. I thought the lead up was pretty good cause it isn't just revealed, but there are some hints earlier on and even a pretty nice direct shout out which i didn't expect to even be mentioned in this game.

Someone even though its been 8000 thousand years, they still have the files day and date of when Angelus and Caim came to this timeline

Moonkid

Lots of the soundtrack is remixes from the original Nier, although some tracks are more obvious than others.
On Route A at least I only noticed the overt ones
Grandma and Colossus.
They were never my favourites but it was pretty exhilarating all the same. Now if Shadowlord or its castle variants came on, I'm pretty sure I'd tear up lmao. Looking forward to finishing Route B next week! Nothing gets me weaker than musical throwbacks.

Wagram

Outside of the repeating of some stages. Path B has been absolutely phenomenal so far. I wasn't so sure on the story of Automata, but their new take on the "endings" in this is just so much better than what they did on the original.

Outside of the repeating of some stages. Path B has been absolutely phenomenal so far. I wasn't so sure on the story of Automata, but their new take on the "endings" in this is just so much better than what they did on the original.

I vastly prefer it to how taro has done it compared to any of his other games. We've gone a long way from drakengard 1 where every ending was basically a separate story. Granted 3 did that too but it still had something tieing it together, this game actually feels "whole" though.

Well yeah. I thought the lead up was pretty good cause it isn't just revealed, but there are some hints earlier on and even a pretty nice direct shout out which i didn't expect to even be mentioned in this game.

Someone even though its been 8000 thousand years, they still have the files day and date of when Angelus and Caim came to this timeline

Ya gotta give it to androids, they know how to back up historical records/

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

My only qualm is the hacking - as it is, it's by far the most efficient way to kill stuff as 9S (unless you've got super good chips for melee damage +), but also drags you onto a separate screen with a mini game that never really evolves.

IMO, there should have either been chips that actually update your 'ship', so to speak, or some more existential shift in the hacking minigame itself.

Other than that, I was a bit iffy on 9S during route A, but he's redeemed himself somewhat in B here.

Naite

That credits scene in ending E... Really like what they did with the music for this one too.

Also just discovered that starting the self destruct animation in mid air cancels fall damage from large heights.

Squire

Banned
Do I really have to
go back under the big pressers with the conveyer belt that moves forward? The robots don't seem to be fast enough to get through...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You don't have to, but less costing chips means more chips you can use. Ignoring the hard cap on the modifiers you can get, of course

I dont know what any of that means lol. Buts not a story item or something right? I ask because, using Horizon as an example, I see people complaining that they have been farming animals skins for hours for the right drop, to craft a bigger pouch for some ammo that...you dont actually really need, for example Ive been crafting the pouches as I get the mats naturally and im doing fine on space.

Similar type of situation? :p

LotusHD

Banned
For me I ended up with

2B: Short sword/long sword
A2: Bracers/long sword
9S: Lance

I ended up not deviating from this too much mostly just cause it felt right for each character.

True. Ultimately it didn't matter what I did for 9S, I had too much fun hacking everything. For 2B I went with double short swords, with my 2nd set being a lance and great sword for the most part.

Do I really have to
go back under the big pressers with the conveyer belt that moves forward? The robots don't seem to be fast enough to get through...

Just take your time. But I did end up using
a robot that levitates, so yea.

ye

kEBQcyH.gif

personally i like a2 the best just because it reminds me of dmc

4qwfpXs.gif

Welp, guess I'm using the great sword tomorrow.
Also saving this for the next time someone needs to be sold on this game with a GIF

nikos

Without spoiling anything, is route B essentially the same game as A?

It started out differently, but seems to be taking the same path. I just fought Adam again.

LotusHD

Banned

It started out differently, but seems to be taking the same path. I just fought Adam again.

Kinda. You'll see. Since you're playing as 9S this time around, it should be fairly obvious as to where things will differ.

jonjonaug

There's a second split point that you should already know about from playing Route A

Jiraiza

I dont know what any of that means lol. Buts not a story item or something right? I ask because, using Horizon as an example, I see people complaining that they have been farming animals skins for hours for the right drop, to craft a bigger pouch for some ammo that...you dont actually really need, for example Ive been crafting the pouches as I get the mats naturally and im doing fine on space.

Plug-in chips are ways to upgrade your character, whether it be more attack, more defense, increased item rate or whatever. Each chip has an associated cost and you don't have unlimited space, which is called chip storage, to play around with. Hence, the convenience of the low-cost chips I'm grinding for.

To a point, but it splits in both sidequests and once the characters split up. But you get some extra story stuff even in the replay. After dat tho all new game.

LotusHD

Banned

Sort of? Because I mean, yea, even without going out of your way to get lower-costing chips, if you're playing on Normal, it's not even remotely necessary. If you're playing on Hard (or secret side stuff?), then yea, I could see why someone would do whatever it takes to improve their stats.

Friction

Just finished horizon now looking for the next game to sink my teeth in to. Was looking forward to P5 next, but might get this instead.

Anyone with experience playing both able to chime in their thoughts? Thanks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sort of? Because I mean, yea, even without going out of your way to get lower-costing chips, if you're playing on Normal, it's not even remotely necessary. If you're playing on Hard (or secret side stuff?), then yea, I could see why someone would do whatever it takes to improve their stats.

cool Ill be playing on normal, so good to know.

nikos

Kinda. You'll see. Since you're playing as 9S this time around, it should be fairly obvious as to where things will differ.

There's a second split point that you should already know about from playing Route A

To a point, but it splits in both sidequests and once the characters split up. But you get some extra story stuff even in the replay. After dat tho all new game.

Awesome, thanks guys!
Totally forgot about that split. This is definitely going to be interesting. Can't wait to see what happens later.

Squire

Banned
OH SHIT just got (MAJOR SPOILERS)
the Project Gestalt records!!

Done for the night, but man, Route B is DELIVERING.

Wagram

In retrospect that 50 review is hilariously bad. I could understand it there was only Path A, but you missed like.....everything. All the context, all the there-after.

Philippo

I'm finally with you brothers!
I waited so long for this!
GLORY TO MANKIND!

Only did the prologue and up to the first save point in the city. I had not played the demo but maaaaan, this game plays like a dream. So smooth and fast! And Yoko Taro finally managed to make the shmup he always wanted, right from the beginning lol

I did find strange that the androids are this emotional right from the start. Even in their words or general personality. 2B seems always slightly pissed off (which i guess counts as an emotion), and 9S is just so jolly. Plus even the crew on the Bunker felt way too "human" immediately ("i want to ride a mecha! Must be so cool!"). dunno, i expected them to start as a bit more rigid and robot-like, and then progressively open up more. Unless i am completely missing what's the concept of standard android design and small calculated personality traits are part of it.

Still, this is clearly a nier game, it puts a non-hostile enemy right at the beginning, to plant the seed of guilt early for when you obviously discover that you are the monster lol

Jiraiza

I'm finally with you brothers!
I waited so long for this!
GLORY TO MANKIND!

I did find strange that the androids are this emotional right from the start. Even in their words or general personality. 2B seems always slightly pissed off (which i guess counts as an emotion), and 9S is just so jolly.

She's actually more stoic in Japanese. Exactly why I don't like the English dub, or the localization with the translation. Es no bueno.

Who did the figure sculpting for the Black Box edition of the game? Not really a figure guy but it seems like it's high quality. Was it in-house or another company?

Also totally want one of similar quality for P5 now, lol!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
She's actually more stoic in Japanese. Exactly why I don't like the English dub, or the localization with the translation. Es no bueno.

So she's basically just emulating her mikasa voice. How boring. I actually 2B's sarcasm in english

Top Bottom