• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Philippo

I really want Platinum and Taro to get a shot at Drakengard.

Basically Scalebound with a fucked up Taro story? Hell yes.

Uh, not really? I don't really agree with the sarcasm/sass the localization was going for, either.

In my case it's not that i don't like her, it's just that to me it feels way too full emotions right from the start abd it clashes with the "emotions are prohibited".
Then again, android developing emotions is the theme of the game.
But her voice acting, i like it.

Squire

Banned
I don't really get hammering the "no emotions" thing. I thought it became clear very early on almost no one actually honors that directive and 2B only does because she seems to be overcompensating or trying to cover something up. I thought the ending of route A justified my take on it pretty well, too.

TissueBox

She's actually more stoic in Japanese. Exactly why I don't like the English dub, or the localization with the translation. Es no bueno.

Yeah I personally enjoy Ishikawa's version more, but then again I'm biased. xP She does make for a more reserved, elegant take to Kira's dry coolness. Though I say whatever floats the boat for ya.

Jiraiza

I don't really get hammering the "no emotions" thing. I thought it became clear very early on almost no one actually honors that directive and 2B only does because she seems to be overcompensating or trying to cover something up. I thought the ending of route A justified my take on it pretty well, too.

The game does address it pretty solidly beyond route A (whereas during the route, you get subtle clues as to the what and why), so it's something to look forward to.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

This is true, that's why the no emotions thing doesn't really mean much for anyone, including 2B. CO just drones on about flowers and girls and love and relationships and 2B just sighs and goes with it, but she's obviously curt with her responses so she doesn't get as attached to things.

With that being said, i don't agree with the Japanese version just being the stoic badass who has to show her softer side after a while. We already have enough of those literally everywhere

Exentryk

If anyone needs information on chips and wants to mess around with chip setups, use this spreadsheet. Pretty simple to use for build editing - just enter the ability name and the rank via drop down list and it'll pull up the rest of the information automatically.

Video Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0DXRcmkqc

This is how it looks:
GtN0Wb3.png

E7j5s3L.jpg

Squire

Banned
The game does address it pretty well beyond route A, so it's something to look forward to.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. A and B have done great to show there are thing going on internally with 2B and 9S, but they're not really talking to each other and that's already pretty tragic.

This is true, that's why the no emotions thing doesn't really mean much for anyone, including 2B. CO just drones on about flowers and girls and love and relationships and 2B just sighs and goes with it, but she's obviously curt with her responses so she doesn't get as attached to things.

With that being said, i don't agree with the Japanese version just being the stoic badass who has to show her softer side after a while. We already have enough of those literally everywhere

Yeah, for sure. It's bog standard at worst, a little boring at best. The localization - and this is just how I've read it so far - makes it seem like she is the way she is because of a certain bitterness. Those opening lines? I hear a little hatred underneath those lines and it's making more sense as I play.

Jiraiza

Except she's not trying to be badass. There's a reason why she acts that way. And I imagine the script was originally written in Japanese, so it's the English take that should be up for scrutiny, not the Japanese.

Sevyne

Except she's not trying to be badass. There's a reason why she acts that way. And I imagine the script was originally written in Japanese, so it's the English take that should be up for scrutiny, not the Japanese.

Honestly, why should we be questioning either one? They both are very fitting once you have context as to why she is acting that way. At this point it just comes down to personal preference to which one you like more. Both English and Japanese VA are very well done.

Jiraiza

Honestly, why should we be questioning either one? They both are very fitting once you have context as to why she is acting that way. At this point it just comes down to personal preference to which one you like more. Both English and Japanese VA are very well done.

Fair point, but I'll always chip in and recommend Japanese to whoever shoots the question between which dub to use. The ails of knowing multiple languages, I guess.

Sevyne

Fair point, but I'll always chip in and recommend Japanese to whoever shoots the question between which dub to use. The ails of knowing multiple languages, I guess.

It's not a bad recommendation. Neither one is a bad one, so you're definitely not steering anyone in the wrong direction!

So is there some sort of glitch in the
Emil's Memory/Lunar Tear
side quest? Not that I'm really complaining but a got two different events from the same
flower.

The English dub is pretty fantastic. Honestly, people act like the Japanese side doesn't have to approve localizations. Nobody follows the "no feelings ever" thing, including 2B. She's just trying to get shit done and go home and being a bit of a hardass to 9S, who is kind of obviously provoking her a little anyway
because he has a type

Squire

Banned

This is generally speaking one of the best dubs in recent memory. These are actors are good and well-cast, and they're being given room to breathe. The script is typically very naturalistic which is a rare quality in this material. Nier and D3 especially are like that too though, so it's to be expected.

Philippo

The game does address it pretty solidly beyond route A (whereas during the route, you get subtle clues as to the what and why), so it's something to look forward to.

Ok now i'm looking forward to it, after all i've just begun it.

Well that rapidly escalated. I managed to hit the credits and I have a question.

Did I somehow fail to see more of A2 in my game after failing to do a subquest relating to her?

I'm assuming later throughways explain
what the hell is going on with Yorha, if humanity even exists, etc.

Qurupeke

I finished all the non-joke endings. What a fantastic game. Persona 5 has a strong contender for GOTY 2017.

I'm kind of glad I watched Drakengard and Nier's plot on YT before starting the game. While it would still be an enjoyable experience, prior knowledge certainly elevates everything. Like Emil's hidden place or Devola and Popola's story.

So, Route A was certainly just the tip of the iceberg as far as the story goes... However, its final scene is beautiful. Probably my favourite on the whole game. The revelation that 2B is actually 2E gives it even more weight. If I understand correctly, 9S essentially had died quite a few times and the opening scene on the factory isn't the first time 2B met him. Really tragic. Also, 9S' psychological deterioration throughout route C/D was very hard to watch. Some very powerful scenes there, like when he stabbed 2B or when he ripped her arm.

I've mostly done with the sidequests too, just the ones about gathering intel remain, but I really want to keep playing so I think I'll try to go for the platinum. Can't wait for any DLC.

So I'm at the begining of route C and frustrated
I have the infection, I'm trying to get to the destination. No matter what, at some point soon after leaving the pipes I lose functionality for too long not to get bombarded/killed by a bunch of robots (I don't have any restoratives either! So that's fun) or knocked down somewhere that turns me around or makes it so I won't reach in time. Can anything make this less annoying?

I've finally found my feet with the game. I'll admit it took a while, but now I've found an extra pod, bought all the plug-in spaces (this is essential) and bought some new pod programs (Mirage is fantastic) I'm finally doing decent damage and learning my way through the world. A slight problem I have is that I can't deselect quests. They're always on the minimap, and it's very crowded when I'm just trying to focus on a single one. I take it there's no way to improve this at all?

nOoblet16

I originally bought the PC version (was getting it for £25) then I cancelled the preorder and went for PS4 version (I have a Pro) since by the time the PC version comes out I'll be playing Mass Effect Andromeda...Even if it meant paying £40 for PS4 version.

However I am kind of regretting it, I knew even the Pro version had framerate issues as well with drops to 40-50 at times but I was fine with it as long as it is close to 60 most of the time....And it is ! But the problem I have with the performance is the microshuttering, it's extremely annoying and I hope it doesn't stay like this forever. I'm in the desert area that you go to right after the starting green area and it has improved a bit but not by much.

So I'm at the begining of route C and frustrated
I have the infection, I'm trying to get to the destination. No matter what, at some point soon after leaving the pipes I lose functionality for too long not to get bombarded/killed by a bunch of robots (I don't have any restoratives either! So that's fun) or knocked down somewhere that turns me around or makes it so I won't reach in time. Can anything make this less annoying?

When you head towards the destination, make sure like right before you approach the area with the stupid punchy robots that you wait until she starts moving at normal speed again. She will do it randomly. Took me a while, especially when they knocked me down the hole and the ladder didn't work. -_-.

SkylineRKR

Those finish moves, I've done quite a bit of them during the early parts of route A, but never seen them since nor did I get a prompt. Is there a way or chip needed to trigger them?

Also, Pod upgrades, is it normal to be at level 1 still while at Route B? Can't upgrade them at all.

Weiss

Banned
Well that rapidly escalated. I managed to hit the credits and I have a question.

Did I somehow fail to see more of A2 in my game after failing to do a subquest relating to her?

I'm assuming later throughways explain
what the hell is going on with Yorha, if humanity even exists, etc.

Keep playing.

maskrider

90 hours in, got my Platinum, got 100% on almost everything except fishing (5x%), unit data (96%, unable to gather some seldom appearing units yet), and tutorial (96%, wondering how did I missed that one, but it doesn't mean much to the game anyway).

Enjoy the game immensely, still trying to get the rest 4% unit data.

It is such a fantastic job by Yoko Taro and PG, well worth my wait, and is my GOTY.

Looking forward to DLCs on it.

PC version is not yet available for pre-ordering in Hong Kong, will double dip when it is available.

Exentryk

Those finish moves, I've done quite a bit of them during the early parts of route A, but never seen them since nor did I get a prompt. Is there a way or chip needed to trigger them?

Press the action button when an enemy is on low health. You'll see a prompt for it.

MikuAria

Neo Member
after the boss fight in the amusement park anyone else see the P4 reference? Found it pretty awesome, and when you go back there for a certain collecting sidequest it gets a bit weird. I wasn't sure if that was a reference as well.

Setsu00

Pretty sure it's beeped out in Japanese as well, but I'll give it a check when I get around to that part. I think people were implying
it could be "kill" because of the whole idea behind deriving pleasure from combat and how it closely resembles the emotion of love. According to Jackass, anyway.

There are four more things to consider, actually:
When 9S meets the 2B models in the C/D routes, he claims that finally gets to kill her.
A2 reveals that 9S was aware that 2B was really 2E and thus his personal executor. It's not that hard to hate someone subconciously for "killing" you multiple times.
4. The Japanese line is indeed beeped out and spelt as **したい, meaning "I/you want to ...". The thing is that Japanese verbs work differently from English ones, so there are pretty much only two options how this line could be interpreted. A.) It's the "want" from of the verb する/"suru" (meaning "do" in the broadest sense). B.) It's the "want" form of a verb where the last syllable is a す/"su". Assuming that each asterisk stands for one syllable in the Japanese version, than this means that "fuck" is most likely not a plausible solution as most Japanese words with the same meaning are longer than that. However, ころす/殺す/"korosu" ("to kill") fits perfectly.
This is about one of the novellas from the World Guide Book, but it describes a mission where 9S tries to kill 2B to prevent her from killing him.

What is the stuff I keep finding dodge +1 etc. ?

Plug-in chips. You can assign chips under the skill menu for permanent effects.

There are traders where you can buy and fuse chips, or buy new Pod special attacks and more space for your plug-in chips.

Also, if you scan the corpse of another player and choose "retrieve" you also get these effects, but only temporary.

derwalde

Im a big nier fan but short on money. im considering just watching a lets play of it... should i wait (god knows how long) till i can Play it or just watch a LP? I mean the strong point is obviously the story and the OST.

Weiss

Banned
Im a big nier fan but short on money. im considering just watching a lets play of it... should i wait (god knows how long) till i can Play it or just watch a LP? I mean the strong point is obviously the story and the OST.

The story deserves to be experienced first hand.

i would wait and play it later. you're a big nier fan.....

Does anyone else have a problem with a marker for a quest giver near the "City Ruins: Near Factory" transport point? It shows a dot on a part of a broken highway, but no quest giver in sight.

Caim

Does anyone else have a problem with a marker for a quest giver near the "City Ruins: Near Factory" transport point? It shows a dot on a part of a broken highway, but no quest giver in sight.

Is it the "YoRHa Betrayers" sidequest?

There are three locations, the one you have to go to is usually picked at random so if they aren't there then you have to check the other spots.

Is it the "YoRHa Betrayers" sidequest?

There are three locations, the one you have to go to is usually picked at random so if they aren't there then you have to check the other spots.

No already did that one. I'll get a screenshot of it, one sec.

Edit: Here.

baFe6Eu.jpg

Hektor

No already did that one. I'll get a screenshot of it, one sec.

Edit: Here.

baFe6Eu.jpg

There should be two quests in that area, one is given to you from a little flying robot cruising around there and (midgame route A spoiler)
The remnants of one of the big mechs you can talk with

True Fire

Don't spoil it for yourself. The best part of the game is the WTF moments, and if you watch an LP you'll know what's coming.

There should be two quests in that area, one is given to you from a little flying robot cruising around there and (midgame route A spoiler)
The remnants of one of the big mechs you can talk with

I'm currently doing the second quest you mentioned. I'll look for that flying robot then.

I am having trouble placing the chips right, so confusing.

You can use "Optimize" to sort the equipped chips.

Top Bottom