• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
The hell is the difference between Dark Impulse and Holy Blessing for my Lv4 weapons? I don't even know what they do lol

EDIT: Nvm lol

DKF590

The hell is the difference between Dark Impulse and Holy Blessing for my Lv4 weapons? I don't even know what they do lol

You can view what weapon effects do under one of the pages. Details I think it is. Holy Blessing is increased damage at full health and Dark Impulse is increased damage at low health.

just realized that
truck emil
song has the same melody from
the serious emil
song

Keichi Okabe wtf you madman

edit : plus the singer goes deliberately out of tune. fucking madman
I didn't realize until I was humming it in the shower. Felt like such a dummy for not noticing sooner :lol

nOoblet16

So a story question from like 10% into the game I guess.

The humanoid machines are created by machines who were created by Aliens. While Androids who are machines made by humans but to differentiate them from "the machines" they are called Androids. But shouldn't the humanoid machines be sort of indifferent from Androids as well? I hope the game dwells more into this later on.

Okay seriously. Fuck route C. I think Im out.

The shmup stuff was fun for a while, but this is stupid.

Second recovery pod, do all of these annoying fucking hacking segments, the worst in the game so far, only to get one shot by the boss at the end and only allowed to reload? Gdi.

benzopil

I hate how our Russian press is calling this game a hack'n'slash. Apparently they compare it to MGR or whatever. Why FFXV is an RPG and this is not?

I'm reading Opencritic and nobody says that. Apparently we can't see the difference between genres or something :D

DKL

Bought the melee shield, but it only seems to work for 3-4 seconds. :/

It actually lasts longer if you charge it (assuming you have the pods).

At least, this is what I remember.

Second recovery pod, do all of these annoying fucking hacking segments, the worst in the game so far, only to get one shot by the boss at the end and only allowed to reload? Gdi.

This is one of those annoying things where I learned that I had to go outside to save in order to set up a checkpoint before the boss >_>

Like, it's not great lol

Famassu

Anywhere (with worldwide/European shipping) one could still pre-order the NieR: Automata OST w/ the Hacking Tracks bonus disc? CDJapan seems to have sold out. :(

Demonfang

Banned
So without spoilers i see there is lots of endings?

Do you have to play through the game multiple times or what?

Is there a canon ending?

Lower the difficulty and/or fix your chips.

Is there a canon ending?

There are multiple endings, but it's a linear experience.
You just keep playing until you reach the finish line.

Naite

Trying to get 100% in unit data is stupidly annoying since the one I'm trying to get has a small chance of spawning and I have to constantly reload my game to try and find them.

Razmos

I hate how our Russian press is calling this game a hack'n'slash. Apparently they compare it to MGR or whatever. Why FFXV is an RPG and this is not?

I'm reading Opencritic and nobody says that. Apparently we can't see the difference between genres or something :D
I'm surprised it's even available in Russia, given the lesbian androids and all (that's not a spoiler by the way)

Samikaze

So a story question from like 10% into the game I guess.

The humanoid machines are created by machines who were created by Aliens. While Androids who are machines made by humans but to differentiate them from "the machines" they are called Androids. But shouldn't the humanoid machines be sort of indifferent from Androids as well? I hope the game dwells more into this later on.

They were.
At least until either you attack them or 9S does, initiating the fight.
If you just stand there, they do it too. 9S will eventually strike first if you wait too long.

The first NieR did this too with the first "shades" you see. Much like Spec Ops: The Line, It relies on a player seeing an enemy and having their reflexes go into attack mode.

Samikaze

Is there a canon ending?

Yeah, you have to play through it multiple times, but don't worry it changes every time so it's not tedious. It carries over your stats, items, and weapons, and It even saves your side quests so you can skip the ones you did, allowing you to just play through the story.

HeelPower

I died twice in the fucking intro.

Playing on Normal,the fucking robot arms got me even though I have healing items.

I am really fuming right now.Have zero desire to play this intro again.

I didnt expect to have such a bad first experience with the game.

Is the whole game gonna be like this ? Long stretches of Unskippable shit cockblocking retries ?

LotusHD

Banned

Playing on Normal,the fucking robot arms got me even though I have healing items.

Hmm, if it's Normal, not much to say. Hard is the real demon. Breeze through it with East then change it back imo

EDIT: No it's just the beginning section. Afterwards you'll get your save points, but there will be no auto save. At best you sometimes get checkpoints during boss fights.

ramyeon

So what's up with the (Early game spoilers)
giant Emil heads in the Desert Zone.
!? Didn't expect to stumble upon that.

DKL

Is the whole game gonna be like this ? Long stretches of Unskippable shit cockblocking retries ?

To be honest, yes. It shouldn't be too bad on Normal once you can stack defense chips and health items, but you can be caught off guard and will have to redo long amounts of content in random situations that don't necessarily make sense.

(like... SOMETIMES there'd be a checkpoint that makes sense... but then there are times where it's randomly missing and I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was)

HeelPower

Hmm, if it's Normal, not much to say. Hard is the real demon. Breeze through it with East then change it back imo

EDIT: No it's just the beginning section. Afterwards you'll get your save points, but there will be no auto save. At best you sometimes get checkpoints during boss fights.

To be honest, yes. It shouldn't be too bad on Normal once you can stack defense chips and health items, but you can be caught off guard and will have to redo long amounts of content in random situations that don't necessarily make sense.

(like... SOMETIMES there'd be a checkpoint that makes sense... but then there are times where it's randomly missing and I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it was)

I amnot sure about this design.

The combat is fantastic,I like everything about the game.

But I am not sure about forced slow walking ,unskippable cutscenes,and unskippable encounters.

I cant even rush to the boss like in a souls game.

WTF.

True Fire

Left down circle. Practice pressing it super quickly. You can heal and attack at the same time.

DKL

I love the game too, but there's so many puzzling design decisions.

In fact, it mostly feels like someone intervened when the director or whoever thought something awful would actually be a good idea, but they weren't able to do it 90% of the time lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

But I am not sure about forced slow walking ,unskippable cutscenes,and unskippable encounters.

WTF.

This isn't a souls game.

If your at the beginning though, don't worry about it. I thought i could beat it on hard cause i beat the demo multiple times on hard, but they upped the difficulty in the main game so hard in the beginning is REALLY hard. If you get passed the beginning prologue though, the game gets easier on any difficulty

ramyeon

WTF.
All of the bosses since the intro seem to just spawn you back at the start of the boss fight, some even have checkpoints between phases.

nOoblet16

10 hours into A (currently
escaping the God-worshipping robots in the factory
) and the story is doing nothing for me
I just finished this part...And I have no idea what A, C or whatever people are talking about mean. I don't even recall any point where I had a choice to take certain routes.

DKL

All of the bosses since the intro seem to just spawn you back at the start of the boss fight, some even have checkpoints between phases.

If you play long enough, you begin to realize that this is not always true lol

Some of the restarts are infuriating >_>

The checkpointing stays spotty throughout unfortunately. Some parts are better than others but it's a big part of why I'd tell people to stay off the higher difficulties.

Normal is pretty easy though. If you're getting hit a bunch and taking damage, you can mash dodge without any consequences and use consumables to survive.

Top Bottom