• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

dochuge

I died twice in the fucking intro.

Playing on Normal,the fucking robot arms got me even though I have healing items.

I am really fuming right now.Have zero desire to play this intro again.

I didnt expect to have such a bad first experience with the game.

Is the whole game gonna be like this ? Long stretches of Unskippable shit cockblocking retries ?

I feel the same way. I've died twice and I have to do all of that again? Poor design choice. I really like the play mechanics and am enjoying the game but that is a bit ridiculous. And I have plenty of recovery items but I'm getting trapped under the boss and it's lights out. It won't automatically use my recovery items like it was earlier.

ramyeon

If you play long enough, you begin to realize that this is not always true lol

Some of the restarts are infuriating >_>
Ah fair enough, honestly I feel like Normal is pretty easy though. I can imagine it being an issue on Hard and Very Hard for sure.

DKL

Ah fair enough, honestly I feel like Normal is pretty easy though. I can imagine it being an issue on Hard and Very Hard for sure.

Even on hard, the game is OHKO city and it's annoying because I'm never necessarily sure whether or not to start stacking defense up until I actually get OHKOed and then sent back to a faraway checkpoint.

It's a really eccentric game, if I had to say anything lol

Hikami

I amnot sure about this design.

The combat is fantastic,I like everything about the game.

But I am not sure about forced slow walking ,unskippable cutscenes,and unskippable encounters.

I cant even rush to the boss like in a souls game.

WTF.

You can actually just run past enemies like you would in a souls game. Except for sometimes when the doors are locked and require clearing out the room though.

Wagram

The intro is the only section i've encountered that i've found puzzling design decision wise. All the other sections have a much more convenient save system. You just have to save regularly once you obtain access. I had a similar experience, but on Hard mode.

I also feel very bad that I think A2 is a much better character than 2B.

HeelPower

Left down circle. Practice pressing it super quickly. You can heal and attack at the same time.

All of the bosses since the intro seem to just spawn you back at the start of the boss fight, some even have checkpoints between phases.

I feel the same way. I've died twice and I have to do all of that again? Poor design choice. I really like the play mechanics and am enjoying the game but that is a bit ridiculous. And I have plenty of recovery items but I'm getting trapped under the boss and it's lights out. It won't automatically use my recovery items like it was earlier.

The checkpointing stays spotty throughout unfortunately. Some parts are better than others but it's a big part of why I'd tell people to stay off the higher difficulties.

Normal is pretty easy though. If you're getting hit a bunch and taking damage, you can mash dodge without any consequences and use consumables to survive.

Guys help me out.

How does she heal exactly ? Is it automatic ?

Also, what do about the big robot arms that track no matter what ? I run and use dodge, but they track me and take out half my health...

You want it to be Souls and you died during the intro...?

I played the demo,didn't die once.

I dunno,the robot arms boss seems to have pretty nasty tracking.

Guys help me out.

Also, what do about the big robot arms that track no matter what ? I run and use dodge, but they track me and take out half my health...

You can use healing items by pressing down on the dpad and selecting them. I believe you can use the touch pad too. You also heal upon a level up IIRC, and later on once you get chips you can use those to heal from attacking and whatnot.

For the arms, just mash dodge. You don't need precise timing or anything and 2B doesn't get tired after consecutive dodges like in something like Bayonetta. Just dodge till it's done then attack.

Samikaze

I just finished this part...And I have no idea what A, C or whatever people are talking about mean. I don't even recall any point where I had a choice to take certain routes.

It happens in order. I'm only on C right now, but can confirm that once you beat it, you reload it to see the B chapter, beat it and then reload that for the C chapter.

ramyeon

Guys help me out.

I played the demo,didn't die once.

I dunno,the robot arms boss seems to have pretty nasty tracking.
Down on D-pad to access items menu, X to use.

You can dodge through the arm attacks of the prologue boss with the right timing, timing is pretty generous on dodging. You can just spam it even.

Hikami

You can just do this most of the game if you practice the dodge timing a bit.

5Acf3TN.gif

Okay seriously. Fuck route C. I think Im out.

The shmup stuff was fun for a while, but this is stupid.

Second recovery pod, do all of these annoying fucking hacking segments, the worst in the game so far, only to get one shot by the boss at the end and only allowed to reload? Gdi.

This literally just happened to me!!

This is one of those annoying things where I learned that I had to go outside to save in order to set up a checkpoint before the boss >_>

Like, it's not great lol

Thanks for the tip!!

Arklite

Hard mode is a wake up call, goddamn. With route B I have hindsight and boss patterns aren't too bad so far but I'm sweating the latter half.

ramyeon

I just want to say that the sound design in this game is stunning. The way they use music to set the mood is brilliant, and I'm not sure I've seen the soundtrack used this well in a game before.

The use of vocal and non vocal version of tracks, as well as fade ins to songs upon completion of quests etc is just so, so well done.

Just spent the entire day cleaning up all of the side quests I missed on Route A (still on Route B, enjoying the new story cutscenes). That [Character Spoiler)
Emil Memories side quest hit me with nostalgia bombs with the Kaine theme music and I like they explain why Emil is so different here, OG Emil is somewhere out there still, hopefully. Probably all alone now though. :(

I just want to say that the sound design in this game is stunning. The way they use music to set the mood is brilliant, and I'm not sure I've seen the soundtrack used this well in a game before.

The use of vocal and non vocal version of tracks, as well as fade ins to songs upon completion of quests etc is just so, so well done.

Some of those side quest finishers with the music is just great at giving you the feels. There is so much hidden music in this game.

HeelPower

You can use healing items by pressing down on the dpad and selecting them. I believe you can use the touch pad too. You also heal upon a level up IIRC, and later on once you get chips you can use those to heal from attacking and whatnot.

For the arms, just mash dodge. You don't need precise timing or anything and 2B doesn't get tired after consecutive dodges like in something like Bayonetta. Just dodge till it's done then attack.

Down on D-pad to access items menu, X to use.

You can dodge through the arm attacks of the prologue boss with the right timing, timing is pretty generous on dodging. You can just spam it even.

You can just do this most of the game if you practice the dodge timing a bit.

5Acf3TN.gif

Thanks, I guess I'll take this as a lesson to play carefully.

This game will punish your ass lol.

But the combat IS sublime.I can't complain.

Guys help me out.

Just dodge, you can do it repeatedly and it's got hours of invincibility frames, the attacks are super slow to boot.

Really glad I just kept going after that hacking bullshit. Game immediately becomes exactly what i've been waiting for once you (route C spoilers)
Hack you way into the Tower

Finished Route A tonight and got back to the desert in Route B. Once you get the counter this really feels up there with Revengeance in terms of combat, which is what I was hoping for - all it's really missing is a unique mechanic like Zandatsu or Witch Time. I guess that'd be the pod, maybe, but I really need to mess around with upgrading and customising that more. Sadly, Route B changes the combat in a way that I'm not feeling too great about...

...if the story is going where I think it's going, though, I'm happy to play on. Everything about it feels great so I'm definitely happy with what I've played so far. The bosses are brilliant. Any time there's an enemy spewing out bullet spirals and I'm jumping and dodging through them I'm in love. Even the RPG stuff is good.

Question:
the gold robots in Route B in the city, you're supposed to run into those before entering the desert camp I'm guessing?

Moaradin

Finished Route A tonight and got back to the desert in Route B. Once you get the counter this really feels up there with Revengeance in terms of combat, which is what I was hoping for - all it's really missing is a unique mechanic like Zandatsu or Witch Time. I guess that'd be the pod, maybe, but I really need to mess around with upgrading and customising that more. Sadly, Route B changes the combat in a way that I'm not feeling too great about...

...if the story is going where I think it's going, though, I'm happy to play on. Everything about it feels great so I'm definitely happy with what I've played so far. The bosses are brilliant. Any time there's an enemy spewing out bullet spirals and I'm jumping and dodging through them I'm in love. Even the RPG stuff is good.

Question:
the gold robots in Route B in the city, you're supposed to run into those before entering the desert camp I'm guessing?

That's in there. You should have access to that chip by now.

Samikaze

On Route C right now and I never encountered
Emil
in Routes A and B, Except for when 2B scared him off.
Did I miss out?

On Route C right now and I never encountered
Emil
in Routes A and B, Except for when 2B scared him off.
Did I miss out?
He's got a store. After you meet him on A & B he's endlessly driving in a circle around the desert camp blasting annoying music, pretty hard to miss. He also appears on the map

nOoblet16

Wait so this isn't actually a long action RPG with several quests and all as I imagined it would be but rather an average length action game that requires you to go over the same stuff again with a different perspective once you are done and you get new stuff once in a while.

This is basically what DMC4 (and MGS5's chapter 2 to an extent) did, people criticised that aspect of those game and called it lazy level design/unfinished, but it's ok with this game ?

The story had me sort of intrigued but I'm not sure if I can go through all those events again multiple times just to get more cutscenes.

HeelPower

admittedly, finishing the intro was pretty rewarding.

Felt like I beat a final stretch in a game,followed by strangely kubrickian 2001ish imagery.

Pretty good.Rage subsided.

LotusHD

Banned
Oh damn, I need to find this.

Brilliant, I'll keep an eye out.

To be clear, I did not meet in the actual desert part. Just close to the outskirts of the city where the sand begins.

admittedly, finishing the intro was pretty rewarding.

Felt like I beat a final stretch in a game,followed by strangely kubrickian 2001ish imagery.

Pretty good.Rage subsided.

Yay!

As for me, I died once in Hard, and immediately changed it to Normal. Wasn't dealing with that BS. And some advice, don't be so frugal and just stock up on potions. Had a few times where I went too long without having any curatives and made the boss fights unnecessarily harder on myself.

Moaradin

Wait so this isn't actually a long action RPG with several quests and all as I imagined it would be but rather an average length action game that requires you to go over the same stuff from a different perspective once you are done.

This is basically what DMC4 did, people criticised that game and called it lazy level design, but it's ok with this game ?

... But it is a long action RPG with several quest. 40 hours in atm.

I only just now finished Route B, but the repeated content there isn't that bad. There's a lot of new sidequest, some which are pretty significant, and there's a lot of new story content as well. I imagine the future routes will be mainly new content.

LotusHD

Banned
Wait so this isn't actually a long action RPG with several quests and all as I imagined it would be but rather an average length action game that requires you to go over the same stuff again with a different perspective once you are done and you get new stuff once in a while.

This is basically what DMC4 (and MGS5's chapter 2 to an extent) did, people criticised that aspect of those game and called it lazy level design/unfinished, but it's ok with this game ?

The story had me sort of intrigued but I'm not sure if I can go through all those events again multiple times just to get more cutscenes.

No, this is
mostly
incorrect. Please just play the game and you'll see for yourself.

Samikaze

He's got a store. After you meet him on A & B he's endlessly driving in a circle around the desert camp blasting annoying music, pretty hard to miss. He also appears on the map

That could explain it, thanks! I never went into the desert area much.
Is he still there on C? I have an old save file on B to run back and check, but I wanna visit our old friend.

HeelPower

As for me, I died once in Hard, and immediately changed it to Normal. Wasn't dealing with that BS. And some advice, don't be so frugal and just stock up on potions. Had a few times where I went too long without having any curatives and made the boss fights unnecessarily harder on myself.

This is how I survived.

I used healing items liberally.I was doing exactly that at first,trying to save on items unnecessarily.

Samikaze

I recommend at least beating the second play through. Since it saves your quests, gear, and items, you can just stick to the main story and have it done pretty quick. The first ending didn't hit me at all. I was really underwhelmed.
By the end of the 2nd play through I was intrigued more, and C really opened up in a new way.

I recommend at least beating the second play through. Since it saves your quests, gear, and items, you can just stick to the main story and have it done pretty quick. The first ending didn't hit me at all. I was really underwhelmed.
By the end of the 2nd play through I was intrigued more, and C really opened up in a new way.

So how many times do you actually have to play through the game to get all of the endings? I just started today after finishing Horizon last night.

Hopefully, something's still keeping your interest in the meantime?
The combat is really fun, and the overall concept (
endless war between machines, where some machines are developing sentience
) is interesting

But the actual characters and their stories are just ridiculous nonsense that I don't care about. To be fair, I expect ridiculous over-the-top nonsense from Japanese games that aren't Soulsborne, but given the praise, I had hoped for a more interesting story.

I'll stick with it though

Top Bottom