• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

nOoblet16

... But it is a long action RPG with several quest. 40 hours in atm.

I only just now finished Route B, but the repeated content there isn't that bad. There's a lot of new sidequest, some which are pretty significant, and there's a lot of new story content as well. I imagine the future routes will be mainly new content.
Well then I guess DMC4 and MGS5 chapter 2 were fine too then cause they did show new stuff and DMC4 had a character with different ability (which was great, but still the fact that I had to pretty much play in the same locations and fight the same bosses was kind of shit). Honestly I don't really care much about the side quests if they are going to be like what they were in route A, just fetch quests. I did like the little girl side quest though.

The most important thing for me are newer locations....there are so few of them and yet the game reused the factory and the city ruins area far too much in route A itself and they'll obviously reuse them in route B now too. While interesting locations like the castle and especially the theme park were barely even used. The thing is you spend so much time in route A with 9S that I can only wonder how different it'll be in route B.

And you say future routes? How many of them are suppose to be in here?

Godcannon

About 12 hours in, this is definitely some the greatness that has been awaiting. Takes me back to the Devil May Cry days, thank you Platinum. Love discovering the majority of Nier by diving right in, so many surprises. I didn't think I'd care for the exploration, but while it is minimal the little details and rewards you find are quite satisying.

Edit: it also reminds me of Ghost in the Shell and Silent Bomber on Ps1. Time to keep going!

So I definitely have a glitched side quest
Sorting Trouble 3
. Did it, got to the guy but the game refused to let me speak to him, it showed the circle symbol with the stop sign. There was an enemy glitched in an area I couldn't get to so I assumed I couldn't speak to him because of that. Left did some other side quests came back did it again, cleared out all the enemies and I still can't speak t him :/

nOoblet16

I recommend at least beating the second play through. Since it saves your quests, gear, and items, you can just stick to the main story and have it done pretty quick. The first ending didn't hit me at all. I was really underwhelmed.
By the end of the 2nd play through I was intrigued more, and C really opened up in a new way.
Alright..Let's see.
I hope the subsequent playthrough are faster and it gets to a point that I can just carry on with main mission straight up.

I like 9S more than 2B honestly, except for her design 2B is just your usual anime tough girl so more or less kind of plain.

TissueBox

The combat is really fun, and the overall concept (
endless war between machines, where some machines are developing sentience
) is interesting

But the actual characters and their stories are just ridiculous nonsense that I don't care about. To be fair, I expect ridiculous over-the-top nonsense from Japanese games that aren't Soulsborne, but given the praise, I had hoped for a more interesting story.

I'll stick with it though

Yeeeah it won't appeal to everyone, no, though if you liked stuff like Undertale and previous Taro works then there's a better chance you'll also like this.

The storytelling is in the flavor of anime extremism so indeed, for those unaccustomed to it, the trick is to take everything seriously despite how outlandishly detached it seems to be from reality or proper structure and feel it for what it is. If you are able to do this, then that step of tolerance will lead you to find the emotional core of the surface wackiness.

Now that being said? For me the narrative quality goes something like this, from worst to best: A --> B ---> 3rd playthrough; or, in other words, it builds, and gets better the further you go, so trust me when I say you have a bit more to see before probably changing your mind twice over. I personally felt the finale was in ways mechanically mediocre and could've been better-paced but the true ending redeemed it in the end. Once again it's a game that for me transcends the sum of its parts, which I'm willing to forgive it for if there's an even better game on the way...*wink nudge at PG*

Anyways keep at it, who knows if it'll be your cup of tea but nevertheless it'll be interesting to hear what newcomers think. For anybody going in to the game remember don't just play it, peel. Peeel, babeh..!!

True Fire

Alright..Let's see.
I hope the subsequent playthrough are faster and it gets to a point that I can just carry on with main mission straight up.

You can speedrun Route B in an afternoon. It's amazing. Once you know where everything is from Route A, you can run from boss to boss in 5 minutes.

Squire

Banned
I definitely think it's a game that requires you to buy into the intrigue of it. It's a good story (so far), but it's very unorthodix. You have to want to collect the pieces as they're presented to you and put them together.

LotusHD

Banned
You can speedrun Route B in an afternoon. It's amazing. Once you know where everything is from Route A, you can run from boss to boss in 5 minutes.

This more or less. I liked Route B, which got even better with the differences it did have. Hell ironically it was the route where I did the most sidequests.

And I loved all the hacking too.

nOoblet16

I'll say this though, this game has an amazing OST. The only other time I was in awe of the OST in the past year or two was when I was playing FFXV. But this game has a different style and it feels so fresh...The transitions feel smooth too.

That's good to know.
What about the ones after C?
Since someone mentioned there are 5 primary routes.
Not story spoilers. Just talking about the way the routes are structured:
I dont know what he was talking about tbh, the third part is the last part. Depending on what you choose at the end you'll get ending C or D, then there's another choice to get the true ending (E)

ramyeon

Not story spoilers. Just talking about the way the routes are structured
I dont know what he was talking about tbh, the third part is the last part. Depending on what you choose at the end you'll get ending C or D, then there's another choice to get the true ending (E)
Are you able to save before the choice and get both C and D on the same file? Or do you need to replay to get both?

Are you able to save before the choice and get both C and D on the same file? Or do you need to replay to get both?
You get a chapter select after either of them so you can load it back up right at the choice.

Which items are safe to sell? I have a lot of materials but don't know if they're worth selling or keeping.
The ones that say they can be exchanged for money or w/e. Everything else is an upgrade material for one thing or another.

Ourobolus

Banned
So I definitely have a glitched side quest
Sorting Trouble 3
. Did it, got to the guy but the game refused to let me speak to him, it showed the circle symbol with the stop sign. There was an enemy glitched in an area I couldn't get to so I assumed I couldn't speak to him because of that. Left did some other side quests came back did it again, cleared out all the enemies and I still can't speak t him :/
Same thing happened to me. You're gonna have to kill the enemies nearby the area too, not just the ones inside the warehouse.

Rainy

Banned
About 6 hours in.

Enjoyed that scene where the operator asked the other one out and got rejected. "You need me 2B?" lmao

Also in the "Resistance Disappearance" quest, what are you supposed to do after you find out the storage room was shut tight? Find another way around or do the rest of the quest later?

ramyeon

About 6 hours in.

Enjoyed that scene where the operator asked the other one out and got rejected. "You need me 2B?" lmao

Also in the "Resistance Disappearance" quest, what are you supposed to do after you find out the storage room was shut tight? Find another way around or do the rest of the quest later?
Another quest will open up access to that part of the camp.
It's the Manager's Request to find the music box in the amusement park.

Philippo

Is it normal to only have one side-quest the first time you reach the Resistance camp? More will be added later i guess?

Also, how do i reach
Devola and Popola
?

Hektor

Is it normal to only have one side-quest the first time you reach the Resistance camp? More will be added later i guess?

Also, how do i reach
Devola and Popola
?

You don't, no matter how much you want it, you will see them there and you will have the blue balls because you wanna get closer but can't

God I'm so fucking sick of
playing as 2B, I thought I was finally free of him when I finished his route, but nope he plays a big part in route C too.
Honestly the novelty of
hacking
wore off on me a long time ago, I feel like i've done more
hacking
then fighting so far.
Currently doing the second resource tower in route C (a dungeon filled with nothing but annoying hacking!)
goodie :/

Jotakori

On route B, going through the castle. It really makes you feel like
a bit of a dick killing everything, when you see the context behind the kingdom and the baby machine. 8(;
I'm enjoying what they're showing so far in this route, though. It's cool to see the other side of things and be a bit more like, 'oohhhh'

God I'm so fucking sick of
playing as 2B, I thought I was finally free of him when I finished his route, but nope he plays a big part in route C too.
Honestly the novelty of
hacking
wore off on me a long time ago, I feel like i've done more
hacking
then fighting so far.
Currently doing the second resource tower in route C (a dungeon filled with nothing but annoying hacking!)
goodie :/

I barely used
9S's hacking only where it was required for the story and only one particular sidequest where the enemies had a shit ton of HP. I'm not sure why people are willingly using it during combat when his melee game is more than serviceable.

I barely used
9S's hacking only where it was required for the story and only one particular sidequest where the enemies had a shit ton of HP. I'm not sure why people are willingly using it during combat when his melee game is more than serviceable.

I disagree. Combat
with him
isn't very fun or effective. At least when compared to 2B
and A2. Hacking is usually a lot quicker then fighting as well.

JayEH

Trying to get 100% in unit data is stupidly annoying since the one I'm trying to get has a small chance of spawning and I have to constantly reload my game to try and find them.

do you have a guide you're using? can't find a good one.

Route G is maybe my favourite so far, FWIW. I'm exactly the kind of player who loves exploring every nook and cranny of even a game like this, so getting that kind of response at the beginning of the game was hilarious.

I barely used
His melee is balls, one button and he doesn't even really have unique combos, he just throws all the weapons like an asshole. To make things worse the hacking is obscenely overpowered, why sit there chipping away at a boss with only light attacks when you can just hack him two or three times? You're just wasting your time if you choose not to hack.

I did father sevos quest and I'm brain dead. I'm level 35 playing as 9S. I' didn't have the hud chip for enemy health so it felt like eternity. I prob sat there doing the hacking mini game 30-40 minutes straight.

Squire

Banned
Route B done.

I could've sworn
this would end with that scene from the JP commercial where 9S is stabbing 2B. That said, it's indeed even more touching than the A version of the ending.

THAT ROUTE C PREVIEW THO

So how do you get
A2's original weapons?
I thought you'd get them automatically as soon as you play as her but I don't see them in my inventory.

Wagram

Decided to go back into the
factory
on Path C to obtain missed treasures. MISTAKES WERE MADE. This place is hell on Hard.

Rainy

Banned
7 hours in.

Just finished beating those two Goliaths in the city.
I'm moving pretty slow, partially due to Zelda but also due to the fact that I'm really taking my time with the game. I'm really enjoying it.

Love how sometimes the music changes after you complete quests, hell I love the music in general.

Top Bottom