• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Soma

i think i just had a weird glitch right now in the amusement park area (route b):

the characters suddenly get stopped and Emil out of nowhere is talking to me about how he lost and i can use his room for whatever i want.. but he's nowhere to be seen lol

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
DON'T GO INTO THE ABANDONED FACTORY BASEMENT AFTER SHIT GOES DOWN.

THIS IS A WARNING.

I am in the process of trying to navigate this hellhole because i missed the engine blade the first way through...christ

Slater

Banned
i think i just had a weird glitch right now in the amusement park area (route b):

the characters suddenly get stopped and Emil out of nowhere is talking to me about how he lost and i can use his room for whatever i want.. but he's nowhere to be seen lol

lmao grats on beating the first secret boss

pezzie

His melee is balls, one button and he doesn't even really have unique combos, he just throws all the weapons like an asshole. To make things worse the hacking is obscenely overpowered, why sit there chipping away at a boss with only light attacks when you can just hack him two or three times? You're just wasting your time if you choose not to hack.

I wasn't a fan of his melee, but I loved his throwing weapons, especially the spear. I almost never hacked outside of bosses or golden enemies, the throwing spear is way powerful and to me it was a lot of fun. As soon as I treated 9S as a ranged attacker I started liking him a lot more. I'm not saying that people that disagree are without merit, especially if you're super into the melee combat of 2B, but I really, really liked playing as 9S.

Inuhanyou

How good is the Drakengard 3 DLC?

I played through the game recently, just pondering watching Clemps' analysis or paying the $30.

It gives good context to the characters the game itself should have had before or after each encounter, but ended up not including for budgetary reasons as the game was made on a shoestring budget, like super super shoestring

Do i think its worth 30 bucks? No.

jonjonaug

How good is the Drakengard 3 DLC?

I played through the game recently, just pondering watching Clemps' analysis or paying the $30.

Better than the base game in terms of level setups, I thought. Two, Three, and Four all have particularly entertaining DLC. Zero's has interaction with Michael and One's explains just what the heck was up with Ending A a little. Five's is...special.

Slater

Banned
It gives good context to the characters the game itself should have had before or after each encounter, but ended up not including for budgetary reasons as the game was made on a shoestring budget, like super super shoestring

Do i think its worth 30 bucks? No.

drakengard 3 as a full game isn't worth 30 bucks, it's Taro's worst game by far.

Jingo

Just one question, is this game heavy on the rpg part?

Im playing Nioh right now if it serves for comparising.

After Nioh i want to take a little break from rpgs since i think nowadays everygame is rpg heavy.

Thinking in playing last guardian and then go to Nier, i just wanted to know how deep the system is, if it isnt anything special, ill finish nioh and just straight to nier.

zewone

Can someone answer a question on how to unlock a certain ending?

I
have endings ABC.

Loading C seems to make me start from the beginning. Do I have to play through all 3 storylines again to get ending D?

God I'm so fucking sick of
playing as 2B, I thought I was finally free of him when I finished his route, but nope he plays a big part in route C too.
Honestly the novelty of
hacking
wore off on me a long time ago, I feel like i've done more
hacking
then fighting so far.
Currently doing the second resource tower in route C (a dungeon filled with nothing but annoying hacking!)
goodie :/
At that point I had to stop playing for a few days before finishing C, the gameplay was just so boring.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Just one question, is this game heavy on the rpg part?

Im playing Nioh right now if it serves for comparising.

After Nioh i want to take a little break from rpgs since i think nowadays everygame is rpg heavy.

Thinking in playing last guardian and then go to Nier, i just wanted to know how deep the system is, if it isnt anything special, ill finish nioh and just straight to nier.

Well it was described 60-70% RPG and 30-40% action. There is the exploration aspects, the chips to customize plus level ups. There is also the sidequests so there is decent meat there from the RPG aspect.

pezzie

I
have endings ABC.

Loading C seems to make me start from the beginning. Do I have to play through all 3 storylines again to get ending D?

Use the chapter select

Inuhanyou

drakengard 3 as a full game isn't worth 30 bucks, it's Taro's worst game by far.

it didn't help that he was brought on halfway through either, why were they seriously making it without him?? seriously the project had huge problems

Coreda

A few q's, having only kept up with the demo reveal and impressions:

- Can the difficulty be changed at any time or is it set once when beginning a new game?

- Is there a satisfying amount of enemy variety throughout the game, besides bosses? Most of the footage I've seen has mostly the same robots, which I was aware of, but wondering whether it largely stays the same for the full release with combat/gameplay the focus more-so than enemy variety.

- What does the Retro Grey pod skin look like in-game?

Thanks to anyone who could let me know.

LotusHD

Banned

- Can the difficulty be changed at any time or is it set once when beginning a new game?

- Is there a satisfying amount of enemy variety throughout the game, besides bosses? Most of the footage I've seen has mostly the same robots, which I was aware of, but wondering whether it largely stays the same for the full release with combat/gameplay the focus more-so than enemy variety.

You can change the difficulty whenever.

Yes. They usually have a consistent appearance where their face is concerned, but they vary in terms of attack, behavior, outfits, etc.

It looks okay, nothing particularly special about it. Looks exactly like the pictures.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

-You can change the difficulty anytime you want.
-Not as much enemy variety as I would like but it has more than what you have seen in footage.
-As for the Pod I got no pic myself but I think others have pics. Plus the preorder pics show it I think

Eh, I payed $30 for it a couple months ago. I'm glad I did. As bad as the gameplay and fps can be I got to experience that ending E.

And yea thanks guys, I guess I'll try the Zero or Two dlc and see how it fares.

HeelPower

The presentation in this game is stellar overall.

Cutscenes,sound and animations are top notch.

I cannot remember the last time SE gave such a budget to a non-FF game.

Hell,presentation here surpasses the XIII sequels if you ask me.

The last thing I expected for this game is such high production values.
cutscene & sound production is better than that of XV

Wagram

As much as I like the game these side quests are slowing the pacing down to a crawl. It sucks at times. Luckily the rewards are almost always decent.

FingerBang

Finished it yesterday, took me around 34 hours to get ending ABCDE. Did a fair amount of sidequests.

I really really liked this game, and it was my first Yoko Taro game. I just with there was more variety in the combat, I had this weird expectation of a Bayonetta meets Kingdom Hearts thing but it's definitely not like that. Still, I loved the characters and the story. I hope it sells well, we deserve more!

Also
the damn final shooting section against the credits was intense! I wonder if you get anything by finishing it without help... I couldn't go past the third section by myself, but it was a breeze with the support.

I
have endings ABC.

Basically
ending C and D change based on who you select at the end of route C. E comes after D if you already have C unlocked. Select the final scene/fight with the chapter select and you will be able to see all the chapters. After D accept the pod Request for E.

Absolutely do not read them if you want to remain spoiler free.

Nier 1 had spoilers in non-secret trophies. They aren't awful, but I really regretted looking at that list.

Defeat someone you care for within three and a half minutes.
Defeat the betrayers again within three and a half minutes.
Defeat the Shade inside you within three and a half minutes.

Jingo

Well it was described 60-70% RPG and 30-40% action. There is the exploration aspects, the chips to customize plus level ups. There is also the sidequests so there is decent meat there from the RPG aspect.

Thank you, guess im gonna take a break with a more arcade style thing and then move to this one.

Just got to
playing as A2. Poor Nines.

Level 56, 52 hours in. And I have to say, the OST is better than Nier's, something g I never thought I'd say.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I honestly don't know why people are blasting through this game so fast, I'm just shy of 20 hours in and I feel like I'm a long way from being done with route A.

I'm not dying a lot, or even binging super-hard on sidequests (27% done) just searching the areas fairly thoroughly for stuff like weapons and easter-eggs. It really feels to me that this is the expected way to play as there's a constant sense of progression and change in the world just from doing this without actually moving the main story arc along.

Obviously being a big fan of the original helps, (and not just because of the fan-service aspects), mainly because in that game too if you just went point-to-point along the story beats you'd end up missing an awful lot of the flavour of the experience.

Automata seems even more heavily weighted that way insofar as there's a lot more material to discover, the environments are bigger, and most importantly there are so many more perspectives on the state of the world to incorporate into your understanding of the plot.

Inuhanyou

WHAT!? WHAT DO I DO!?

PASCAL IS ASKING ME TO KILL HIM OR DELETE HIM MEMOREIS, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO

Samikaze

I honestly don't know why people are blasting through this game so fast, I'm just shy of 20 hours in and I feel like I'm a long way from being done with route A.

For me it was just the overwhelming desire to see more if the story. I was going to do every sidequest but after getting about 75% of them done, I just really wanted to move forward.

Am I doing something wrong or are there some of these enemies in side quests supposed to take fucking forever to kill? Fought the guard in the
Treasure Hunt
and it took like 5 + minutes to kill. I haven't been having trouble with random ones or any of the main story enemies so far either...

Moonkid

Am I correct in assuming that to experience maximum nostalgia-feels over the first game I should pursue every side-quest that includes even the smallest of references? I'm early Route B and I might get them out of the way when fast-travel unlocks before going all in on the main storyline.

Top Bottom