• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

LotusHD

Banned
Mid Route C spoilers.

2B being gone is sad and all but A2 is fucking awesome. Her berserker mode, better dodge, taunts (the one with the spear is the shit) and her personality that comes through in Pascal's village has made her my instant favourite character. I wasn't into her design at first but it's grown on me, maybe if it wasn't for the high heels.

Can't wait to learn more about her unless she turns out to be Hitler.

This is my favorite one:

kEBQcyH.gif

Got all the weapons to level 4, what a slog. Time to fulfill my dream of (secret boss spoiler)
killing Emil.
Annoying ass, moon head ass, ugly ass---

Qblivion

How long does it take for the story to pick up and get interesting? I'm about 10 hours and just fought
adam
at the
copied city
. So far a handful of weird, interesting things have happened but the game kinda just drops them like it didn't happen and tells you to get back to doing grunt work for the resistance.

robotrock

Banned
just preordered this i dont even care im hyped im hyped im hyped

two questions:

1. I have a copy of the first Nier, but I've never really enjoyed the time I ever spent with it, and I don't think I'll finish it before Automata releases on Steam. Will playing Automata spoil me on Nier if I ever do decide to go back to it? Should I just admit I will never actually play Nier and watch a story recap before Automata?

2. I don't get what you guys mean by the ending stuff at all. Is it like how Metal Gear Solid V had ending credits after like mission 30, mission 46, or the last mission with quiet? Is answering this question a major spoiler? Will I be able to see all the endings (A-E i think) just naturally by playing the game?

LotusHD

Banned
How long does it take for the story to pick up and get interesting? I'm about 10 hours and just fought
adam
at the
copied city
. So far a handful of weird, interesting things have happened but the game kinda just drops them like it didn't happen and tells you to get back to doing grunt work for the resistance.

It definitely gets a lot more interesting in Route C, but Route B has a fair bit of cool shit happening in that as well. But don't worry, once you finish Route A, it's okay to sort of feel a little empty, where you're wondering "Is... that it?" Because well, that obviously isn't; you gotta keep continuing with the story.

two questions:

1. I have a copy of the first Nier, but I've never really enjoyed the time I ever spent with it, and I don't think I'll finish it before Automata releases on Steam. Will playing Automata spoil me on Nier if I ever do decide to go back to it? Should I just admit I will never actually play Nier and watch a story recap before Automata?

2. I don't get what you guys mean by the ending stuff at all. Is it like how Metal Gear Solid V had ending credits after like mission 30, mission 46, or the last mission with quiet? Is answering this question a major spoiler? Will I be able to see all the endings (A-E i think) just naturally by playing the game?

1. Meh, I'd at least watch a playthrough or something, since you seem to want to further enrich your experience when playing Automata. If you honestly can't be bothered to beat the original, then do whatever it takes imo

I'm only on Route C so far, so I don't have all the details, but so far I've just been playing naturally.

two questions:

Don't feel bad about not playing the first Nier, I think it's butt cheeks too. You'll get the general gist of it pretty quick.

People call them endings but they really aren't, you just play straight through the main story and they arbitrarily roll the credits a few times. Besides joke "endings" there's only two endings (which you don't have to replay the whole thing to get both) and the true ending, which is also basically impossible to miss.

Question regarding Route B and on:
How do quests work? Will quests I didn't complete on the first route show up on Route B ect?

two questions:

1. I was in the same boat. I bought Nier 1 last year because I heard such great things about the story, but never got a chance to really dive in and I was too hyped to play Automata. So instead I just watched Clemp's series a couple nights ago and I feel like I'm getting all the references so far. (I just beat the game for the first ending). Even after watching Clemp's videos, I think I want to go back and play it and still experience it.

2. I would recommend experiencing how they work on your own.

Daouzin

I never understood how the multiple ending systems worked in Yoko Taro games so starting Route B was quite the surprise.

Same.

I'm glad that it starts off different right away.

Going through Route B right now.

I also actually like the hacking stuff. 9S isn't that troublesome in combat, but I pretty much just hack all enemies and bosses so far. They die pretty fast. For basic combat I gave him the Phoenix Dagger so he can just mash attack while I try and hack.It's attack speed is good and I level it up to level 3 right away.

robotrock

Banned
1. Meh, I'd at least watch a playthrough or something, since you seem to want to further enrich your experience when playing Automata. If you honestly can't be bothered to beat the original, then do whatever it takes imo

I'm only on Route C so far, so I don't have all the details, but so far I've just been playing naturally.

Don't feel bad about not playing the first Nier, I think it's butt cheeks too.

People call them endings but they really aren't, you just play straight through the main story and they arbitrarily roll the credits a few times. Besides joke "endings" there's only two endings (which you don't have to replay the whole thing to get both) and the true ending, which is also basically impossible to miss.

1. I was in the same boat. I bought Nier 1 last year because I heard such great things about the story, but never got a chance to really dive in and I was too hyped to play Automata. So instead I just watched Clemp's series a couple nights ago and I feel like I'm getting all the references so far. (I just beat the game for the first ending).

2. I would recommend experiencing how they work on your own.

Much appreciated guys. Guess I'll watch the first game to pick up the references.

Same.

I'm glad that it starts off different right away.

Going through Route B right now.

I also actually like the hacking stuff. 9S isn't that troublesome in combat, but I pretty much just hack all enemies and bosses so far. They die pretty fast. For basic combat I gave him the Phoenix Dagger so he can just mash attack while I try and hack.It's attack speed is good and I level it up to level 3 right away.
Have you finished the Amusement Park on Route B?
The boss fight was leagues more interesting and emotional.

The Forest Zone one got to me the most. Awkward...

To me, Amusement Park was better, but Forest Zone was special because I thought "I already know your tricks, I already read the Letter to the Forest King, you can't one-up me!"

And yet it somehow manages to in a different way.

What got to me wasn't the King's sacrifice, or them having the baby as their next king...

but the folly of them spending centuries raising the baby for it to never grow up, because they're too stupid to realise machines don't grow up like humans.

That hit me. Not like a truck, but it came outta nowhere.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
If I didn't really enjoy Drakengard 3 at all because of its immature writing, will that be an issue here?

LotusHD

Banned
I didn't know about the
haircut
:(

To be fair, the trailers did show it.

To me, Amusement Park was better, but Forest Zone was special because I thought "I already know your tricks, I already read the Letter to the Forest King, you can't one-up me!"

What got to me wasn't the King's sacrifice, or them having the baby as their next king...

but the folly of them spending centuries raising the baby for it to never grow up, because they're too stupid to realise machines don't grow up like humans.

Ha, I laughed at that. I was thinking with the initial flashbacks "Wait, machines can grow up?" Then they revealed they can't and I'm like "I was about to say lmao"

If I didn't really enjoy Drakengard 3 at all because of its immature writing, will that be an issue here?

No, this is good like the first Nier.

Where did you get the letter, during route A or B?

That being said, considering how well-done Amusement Park and Forest Zone's additional story element for Route B was, the Flooded City
back story for giant fish machine
was pretty lame.

Telling me it has a sob story of abandonment and simply wanted to be loved by its parents do nothing
without better execution & context.

LotusHD

Banned
That being said, considering how well-done Amusement Park and Forest Zone's additional story element for Route B was, the Flooded City
was pretty lame.

Telling me it has a sob story of abandonment and simply wanted to be loved by its parents do nothing

Oh shit, I didn't even realize it got a backstory. For the longest time, I was confused as to what those picture books were supposed to relate to. Only kinda got it near the end of the route.

is there a guide to side quests that lists which are important or whatever cuz damn they are almost all a drag and rarely help out with world building.

Was debating in the spoiler thread about which are best. But most of them I thought were pretty profound, and has some great emotional results.

was pretty lame.

The Flooded City is pretty disappointing in general. It feels like it got hit the hardest by budget constraints.

Route A. I got it by completing the Treasure Hunt in the Castle sidequest.

Man, that side-quest story... =(
Shit, well I'm not sure how quests work after ending A,
but i'm assuming I can complete a quest I didn't before on the new routes.
So hopefully I can hit it up this time.

de_reddy

Neo Member
My black box arrived friday, I think it's still too expensive for what it is (that 2B figure is even smaller than I thought) but I'm happy I got the artbook and the cd regardless. Decided to start on hard, but got trolled by the lack of autosave after the demo boss fight :).

edit: wanted to add that the ink on the box smells kind of off, I can't pinpoint it but it smells weird.

Route A Spoilers:

Music question, anyone know if theirs a version of the
opera singer
boss music without vocals or bombastic tone i;e: the pause menu version? I love the regular version but would also like to know if their's a different version as well.

Jotakori

Has anyone managed to get the treasure chest across the way near where the father servo quest is?? The one where if you're on the building you use to jump to his, it's to the left of that.
I'm p sure I just spent a good 15 minutes straight trying to jump across with perfectly timed combos without any luck kfd;aksa Am I missing some trick here?? I'm on route B if that matters...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When i first
played as 9S it was kinda jarring cause he was weaker and more unwieldy than 2B but holy shit, i've actually gotten him to a great point. I don't even want to hack anymore cause i'm just blazing through enemies with cruel oath/machine spear combo. That charge throw he does with the spear is just great, takes out literally everyone in one hit now from a far distance/

Hikami

Has anyone managed to get the treasure chest across the way near where the father servo quest is?? The one where if you're on the building you use to jump to his, it's to the left of that.
I'm p sure I just spent a good 15 minutes straight trying to jump across with perfectly timed combos without any luck kfd;aksa Am I missing some trick here?? I'm on route B if that matters...
That makes it easier.
(Some route B spoilers for those that aren't on it)

Hope this is the right one: https://streamable.com/8wuis
You just hack one of those snake looking things and remote control them, there are some near it. They can stay up in the air for quite a while if you hold jump.

Could probably get there with a highly upgraded evasion range chip too.

Just started route b, do sidequests that I finished the first time around repeat? I figure that the few I didn't finish will be here again but I saw that the first two I did at the beginning were back again although those may have been there again for story reasons.

LotusHD

Banned
Just started route b, do sidequests that I finished the first time around repeat? I figure that the few I didn't finish will be here again but I saw that the first two I did at the beginning were back again although those may have been there again for story reasons.

They don't repeat as far as I know, just those 2.

Jotakori

That makes it easier.
(Some route B spoilers for those that aren't on it)

Hope this is the right one: https://streamable.com/8wuis
You just hack one of those snake looking things and remote control them, there are some near it. They can stay up in the air for quite a while if you hold jump.

Could probably get there with a highly upgraded evasion range chip too.

Wow, I didn't even think of that! Totally worked, too, thanks a bunch!

ramyeon

What's with the chests in the Forest
Castle that say the contents belong to a mechanical being? 2B just says she has no need for it and puts it back.

LotusHD

Banned
Guessed as much. Thanks. Is it one I can get on my first time through that area and I missed? Or is it later on?

Not sure, only noticed it
when I was playing as A2. I found the quest not too far from the save point near the Castle Entrance. I don't really know how to describe its exact location, just that it was away from the castle. Your map should show it to you.

Squire

Banned
Played a bit past the opening of route C.

Oh my, what an opening it is. My heart aches for 2B and 9S. UGH. :(((

Really enjoying A2 though. Her interactions with Pod are hilarious LOL She is not taking his shit!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wait a minute, someone explain it to me..so...

the devola and popola models in this game ARE THE ORIGINAL FROM THE TIME OF THE LEGION!!?!?!?
!?!?

Khoryos

Other than being a d-bag, is there any reason *not* to pray for other players? It's weird that you can choose not to when it doesn't benefit you in any way.

Qurupeke

I'm a bit surprised that there are people asking for the "good" sidequests, other than a few of them at the start, the majority of the rest is excellent. There are a few annoying ones, like SpeedStar or those about collecting Intel, but it's easy to spot those and just skip them. Sidequests are really good and I feel they have something interesting or funny to add. People skipping them are definitely missing a lot of charming moments.

Top Bottom