• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Wagram

Wait a minute, someone explain it to me..so...

the devola and popola models in this game ARE THE ORIGINAL FROM THE TIME OF THE LEGION!!?!?!?
!?!?

No. There were a large number amount of twin units created to observe Project Gestalt in different cities. The androids Devola and Popola from the original Nier are long dead.

So I finished it and obtained Ending E. I enjoyed it overall, but I did find the story to be quite confusing at times, which I believe was intentionally so. If Taro moves on with the franchise I hope he decides to create an equally disturbing story, but at a much easier level to understand. The original Nier was not complicated at all. Neither was Drakengard 1 or 3.

I'm a bit surprised that there are people asking for the "good" sidequests, other than a few of them at the start, the majority of the rest is excellent. There are a few annoying ones, like SpeedStar or those about collecting Intel, but it's easy to spot those and just skip them. Sidequests are really good and I feel they have something interesting or funny to add. People skipping them are definitely missing a lot of charming moments.

Speed Star really is a good example of a bad quest. Annoying NPC, long restart process, and half-assed rewards.

I'm a bit surprised that there are people asking for the "good" sidequests, other than a few of them at the start, the majority of the rest is excellent. There are a few annoying ones, like SpeedStar or those about collecting Intel, but it's easy to spot those and just skip them. Sidequests are really good and I feel they have something interesting or funny to add. People skipping them are definitely missing a lot of charming moments.

Most are "good", but the excellent ones stand out, really.

Amnesia, Memories, 11B's Memento, Treasure Hunt are easy candidates for excellent top-tier quest.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No. There were a large number amount of twin units created to observe Project Gestalt in different cities. The androids Devola and Popola from the original Nier are long dead.

no, it specifically says that the original papola and devola, aka the first ones created were not the ones who fudged things up with Nier and the visual novel portion after 9S gets into the tower is supposedly detailing how they got to the resistance camp by going through the desert for an undetermined amount of time after having to leave their own town to avoid a lynch mob

Wagram

no, it specifically says that the original papola and devola, aka the first ones created were not the ones who fudged things up with Nier and the visual novel portion after 9S gets into the tower is supposedly detailing how they got to the resistance camp by going through the desert for an undetermined amount of time after having to leave their own town to avoid a lynch mob

I think you may have misinterpreted the scene.
They were detailing their struggle of persecution due to the original Devola and Popola screwing up Project Gestalt. This made all other Android models deem the D&P models as defective. So they left their original town and moved on until they met the current Resistance team which accepted them as healers.

First impressions for me. Pretty behind a lot of people as didn't get the chance to play my copy until Sunday but so, so happy so far. Combat feels exciting whilst clearly leaving a big door open for getting more complex/engaging, the characters are weird and intriguing and after only 6 hours or so of the game I've had multiple moments of standing up off the sofa in absolute disbelief (calling that trophy
"A Healthy Baby Boy!" was bleak/hilarious).

It feels so different from Nier but has also maintained (and built on) the things I loved about the setting from the previous game - that sense of confusion and wonder, the emptiness/loneliness, the sense that characters had backgrounds and stories just begging to be explored. Plus it's weird just how natural the perspective changes and melee + pod combat felt. Must be like 3 years or so since I've played Nier but it all just came back near-instantly.

Some of the reviews bring up the limitations in terms of invisible walls or whatever but personally that's been a god-send for me. I can find open-world games quite stressful as I get compulsive about exploring and climbing everything - but so far, I've felt rewarded for digging around whilst not feeling like exploring everything would be impossible. But like I say, only 6 or so hours in.

Coming out of
the sewers and walking slowly towards The Amusement Park and seeing the fireworks and the bizarre carnival machines just...wow. Feels.

ramyeon

How on earth do you find a Large Gear?

And what on earth does the Dress Module do? Did
Emil
just swindle me out of 10k?

Raybunny

Started the game this weekend and was wondering if there are missable items / secondary quests, specially if I ignore them and focus on the story endings first.

BriGuy

Started the game this weekend and was wondering if there are missable items / secondary quests, specially if I ignore them and focus on the story endings first.

If you proceed far enough (beat route C), you open up a chapter select option that you can use to mop up side quests and whatnot. As far as I know, nothing is truly missable.

Weiss

Banned
Alright time to get back on the wagon and do Route C.

I might start skipping sidequests since I feel it's dragging the game on a bit too long, but thankfully NieR runs on a very simple formula.

9-niersidequestchart.png

Are there any weapon unlocks for sidequests going forward?

This first level is terrible frustrating and one of the worst intro levels I've ever played. If the whole game is like that it sure doesn't deserve those scores. And how do you save? What year is it? Why does the game not tell you how to save?

This first level is terrible frustrating and one of the worst intro levels I've ever played. If the whole game is like that it sure doesn't deserve those scores. And how do you save? What year is it? Why does the game not tell you how to save?

If you don't know how to save then you didn't even finish the first level.

Zakalwe

Banned
So, I started route B and, so far,
there have been very little differences between this run and my first. A few lines here and there, an extra cutscene... and of course the shoot-em up sections from 9S's perspective, but it's been a bit of a drag going through the same stuff I just completed...

How long before
it gets more interesting? I just beat Adam.

Hikami

How long before

Starts getting pretty interesting around the time you fight that huge machine in the sea. Basically where they get separated for a while. Just skip whatever you've read/seen already from route A and you'll be there in no time.

Weiss

Banned
So I know I'll be spoiling myself but I wanna know something about Route C:
when do I stop playing as 9S? I like him a lot but I'm kinda growing weary of him and just want play as 2B again. Is he th main character for the rest of the game?

Zakalwe

Banned
So I can just skip all the cut-scenes until then?

I was worried there might be subtle details I'd be missing, but if it's all the same until then I'll just beeline.

Weiss

Banned
So I can just skip all the cut-scenes until then?

I was worried there might be subtle details I'd be missing, but if it's all the same until then I'll just beeline.

You'll notice that things are different when you see them so you should be good.

Philippo

Well, that desert area + second boss sure was unexpected...

This has to be the best game to watch reaction compilation videos, because boy it sure gets you out of your comfort zone of expectations preatty early!

Also, i really like how compared to the og NieR Taro takes the concept of
the enemies being sentient
and put it in the beginning of the game opposed to
2nd playthrough
, using it as a base to expand the theme through the rest of the game. Really cannot wait to see where this goes, i'm already feeing guilty for my actions.

Oh, and chips customization is addictive like crack.

True Fire

So, I started route B and, so far,
there have been very little differences between this run and my first. A few lines here and there, an extra cutscene... and of course the shoot-em up sections from 9S's perspective, but it's been a bit of a drag going through the same stuff I just completed...

How long before

Rush the bosses up until the flooded city. It'll only take a few hours to get to the original content.

The game makes a point to not hold your hand.

Razmos

Early Route B spoilers:
I just beat Adam and Eve in the alien spaceship, and during the cutscene where they teleport away after the fight, there was a hologram woman stood to the left watching that the characters didn't notice. How bizarre

I have a question..

I seriously don't like JRPGs, the last thing I seriously played in that genre was Final Fantasy 7 in the late 90ies.
I tried Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, but decided it wasn't for me, although I thought it had a lot of charme.

I like quirky and unusual games, though, and Nier Automata seems to have that in spades..

So, is it possible to like this game if you are not into the usual JRPG fare?

Thanks for any opinions...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I have a question..

I seriously don't like JRPGs, the last thing I seriously played in that genre was Final Fantasy 7 in the late 90ies.
I tried Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, but decided it wasn't for me, although I thought it had a lot of charme.

I like quirky and unusual games, though, and Nier Automata seems to have that in spades..

i mean just looking at the character designs there are some tropes, but i think its a pretty worthwhile effort for anyone to try out

Weiss

Banned
I have a question..

It's anything but the typical JRPG. It play more like Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising.

Exentryk

I have a question..

There is a free demo available on PSN, so get a feel for it there.

BriGuy

So I know I'll be spoiling myself but I wanna know something about Route C:
when do I stop playing as 9S? I like him a lot but I'm kinda growing weary of him and just want play as 2B again. Is he th main character for the rest of the game?

Route C is 50/50. I like him too, but I dropped the difficulty down to easy for his sections just to make them go by faster. There's no penalty for doing so.

Weiss

Banned
Route C is 50/50. I like him too, but I dropped the difficulty down to easy for his sections just to make them go by faster. There's no penalty for doing so.

Agh.
That's such a shame. NieR Automata needs that silky smooth combat.

What about D/E?

BriGuy

Agh.
That's such a shame. NieR Automata needs that silky smooth combat.

What about D/E?

D is identical to C, minus a single (and obvious) choice you need to make at the end, and E is like an epilogue that's only available after getting ABCD. That said, you can use the chapter select option to go right to the very end of the D route without replaying everything.

Top Bottom