• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Just finished route A. Completely brilliant,

In terms of sidequests, does it start from scratch on new game + or do I start with 37% finished? Because I'd rather not do them all again.

I'm not that far in yet, but from what I've read, the uncompleted sidequests get reset but completed sidequests remain completed.

raven777

How the fuck do I move
Emil's shop location? He always stays in that spot near the desert camp. I keep transporting over and over and he is always there. Is there a specific way to move his location? I have seen him near the center of city part once before but after that he is always at the same place.

How the fuck do I move
Emil's shop location? He always stays in that spot near the desert camp. I keep transporting over and over and he is always there. Is there a specific way to move his location? I have seen him near the center of city part once before but after that he is always at the same place.

He moved location organically for me. I never really tried and he moved. As the story advances he moved for me.

Ourobolus

Banned
How the fuck do I move

I don't know if there is a limit as far as when you can do it (i.e. later in the story vs. earlier in the story), but
I usually shoot him and talk to him the first time, then teleport to the Near the Factory waypoint and he usually moves. Granted I normally do it towards the end of Route C/D...

raven777

He moved location organically for me. I never really tried and he moved. As the story advances he moved for me.

Yea I finished the story so there isn't really way to move him in that department unless I go through story parts again....
I don't know if there is a limit as far as when you can do it (i.e. later in the story vs. earlier in the story), but
I usually shoot him and talk to him the first time, then teleport to the Near the Factory waypoint and he usually moves. Granted I normally do it towards the end of Route C/D...

I have been doing exactly that and he has been stuck on that spot for like 20 teleports now...

Yea I finished the story so there isn't really way to move him in that department unless I go through story parts again....

I have been doing exactly that and he has been stuck on that spot for like 20 teleports now...

Hmmm... I just kept talking to him and he moved as well after the story stuff. Maybe try Chapter Select?

Weiss

Banned
Route C spoilers

That walking section was bullshit but 2B's gradual breakdown of her senses was really cool. The bit I played as A2 has me really hyped because she plays like 2B, but I'm not crazy about her design. 2B was cool and stylish but A2 is just fetishistic. I'm also not keen on suddenly swapping to her because she's showed up once so far; she really needed more appearances to build her up, but maybe that'll change as I play.

Does A2 at least get a new costume at some point or am I stuck with this?

So quick question regarding chronology.

I just started route C, so I might be missing a ton of revelations yet to come, but the way I'm constructing it in my head, does the timeline go:

Nier 1 happens
"Humans", referred to by Nier Automata are... the remaining replicants?
Without Papa/brother Nier, they are doomed to eventually die out.
Aliens invade while humans are still alive
Humans make androids to fight for them
Emil and his clones are around there somewhere, fighting as well
Humans eventually die out during these "machine wars"
Androids are still fighting, but losing morale
The lie that humans fled to the moon is introduced
I feel like I'm probably getting a few of these wrong.

Just tell me to "be patient" if this timeline becomes clearer later in the game.

Ourobolus

Banned

I just started route C, so I might be missing a ton of revelations yet to come, but the way I'm constructing it in my head, does the timeline go:

Nier 1 happens

Just tell me to "be patient" if this timeline becomes clearer later in the game.

be patient

Meffer

It is weird that
the Androids continue to fight, though. Why bother fighting if there's no reason to fight? Both the humans and the aliens are dead.
Then they would have no true purpose like the robots. They'd be aimless. It seems like pride is preventing them from halting the fight.

Nier 1 happens

be patient

Just staring Route C.
Question
I never did the Emil quest, is that gone. Should I reload my save before the boss (route A) and check it out.

chapter select will solve this. keep playing for now

Xadjim

Banned
Okay, I am now about 15 hours in route A and I really like the game so far BUT I kind of feel that doing the sidequests is not worth it since I need to restart anyway and 2B wont be the character I have at the end of the game (not sure though, my knowledge is only based on nonspoiler things I read here)

Should I just stop doing sidequests since its not something I can keep in my final save anyway?

Should I just stop doing sidequests since its not something I can keep in my final save anyway?
If you complete the entire chain of a sidequests, it counts as 100% done across all playthroughs. But if you only do a couple steps, it'll reset on the next round.

They're a good way to earn money and most of them are interesting, but it won't be the end of the world if you just aren't feeling them.

Route B observation:
Holy shit I hate using 9S his style is so slow compared to 2B's, she's doing most of the work in our fights while I focus on trying to kill one machine.
Don't listen to anyone's lies telling you to use regular attacks with him, it's a gargantuan waste of time, just hack everything, it's absurdly overpowered. I was one shotting enemies 25-30 levels higher than me when I was grinding to 99. You can even get chips that stun enemies and make them catch on fire so if your hack doesn't one shot then you can stun lock them, even bosses.

Weapons? Fun combat? Combos? Getting to look at the characters or the game in general? Your done with that shit now, hope you like geometry wars.

LotusHD

Banned
Don't listen to anyone's lies telling you to use regular attacks with him, it's a gargantuan waste of time, just hack everything, it's absurdly overpowered. I was one shotting enemies 25-30 levels higher than me when I was grinding to 99. You can even get chips that stun enemies and make them catch on fire so if your hack doesn't one shot then you can stun lock them, even bosses.

This, hacking is the best.

Zakalwe

Banned
I just hacked a random enemy (forest king guard, small),
and it gave me three options:

Detonate
Control
And something else I missed as I pressed too quickly.

Never seen this before, the enemy usually just takes damage as soon as the hack's complete.
What am I missing?

Tagged just in case.

Detonate
Control

Never seen this before, the enemy usually just takes damage as soon as the hack's complete.
What am I missing?

Tagged just in case.

it's remote control

Ourobolus

Banned

Detonate
Control

What am I missing?

Tagged just in case.

That only happens when you
hack an enemy before entering combat

ChanMan

Weapons? Fun combat? Combos? Getting to look at the characters or the game in general? Your done with that shit now, hope you like geometry wars.

All you need is your pod programs and hacking, equipping the YorHa Issue Blade on him maxed out is really great.

Route B
playing as 9S, who is actually a solid fellow
is better than I expected. The
hacking is indeed very powerful, makes one lazy in taking out larger enemies compared to 2B extended dancing and slicing
. I'd still rather be doing the latter as it is more fun in action and visuals, but this is not too bad especially with how things change up on routes.

Xadjim

Banned
If you complete the entire chain of a sidequests, it counts as 100% done across all playthroughs. But if you only do a couple steps, it'll reset on the next round.

They're a good way to earn money and most of them are interesting, but it won't be the end of the world if you just aren't feeling them.

Actually some of them are really good and charming but I am more interested in the actual story and while I put asside Horizon, Tales of berseria and Zelda Breath of the wild in order to play Nier, I dont want to stick with this game for ever. I need to finish it, yet I dont want to rush it. I would be ready to skip the sidequests and do them with the final save or character or whatever happens I have after finished all stories.

Also another question: Are there more boss battles so well designed and executed like the
Opera Boss. I Just beat Adam. How much is left there for 2Bs story?

All right so I went ahead and picked this up since I love the genre and it reviewed well. I just came off of Dark Souls 3 and so I chose Normal because I could use a bit of a break. Frankly, Normal is way too easy, as in, I don't really see how I can die it's so easy. I barely ever get hit, even by bosses. The dodge mechanic basically breaks the game. For frame of reference I just beat the amusement park boss, so I guess that's the third boss? Anyway, I'm kinda glad it's so easy after Souls 3, like I said I could use a break.

I love how the game lets you completely customize your controls. I wish every game did it just like this. Absolutely perfect. All 3 default control schemes have problems, but it doesn't matter with their excellent remapping screen.

So far I have only seen a couple of other weapons, sold by the vendor in the camp. I bought the most expensive one, so now I have the starter and that one, both short swords I guess. What weapons are you guys using? Does it even matter? Everything goes down so fast I can't see how different weapons would make much difference.

What does leveling do exactly?

Final thoughts after letting it digest a bit.

Story/characters not as good as the first, everything else is better.

That said, the story was (true end spoilers)
A wonderful send off to the orginal nier's story. I couldnt have thought of a better way to end things, especially with emil's sidequests.

I just realized how much 9's (route B spoilers kinda)
hacking ability resembles Bentley's hacking mini games from the sly cooper games.

Heavy Route C spoilers:

So I'm on my way to the third recovery unit now and holy shit. Black boxes are repurposed machine cores? The destruction of the bunker by machine lifeforms was intended by the creators of Project YoRHa? Who are the creators then exactly? Some really nice twists till now.

Still hoping that Emil get his major role though.

Is it Friday yet?
WOBmOOg.gif

Top Bottom