• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

nikos

So I made an interesting decision in my third playthrough. Wonder what's going to happen. Spoilers below.

When Pascal asked me to kill it, or wipe its memories, I ended up walking out the door. It said something like "you aren't just going to leave me like this, are you?" I did. The trophy still popped indicating I granted its last wish. I'm assuming the game will treat it as if I wiped its memories.

So I made an interesting decision in my third playthrough. Wonder what's going to happen. Spoilers below.

When Pascal asked me to kill it, or wipe its memories, I ended up walking out the door. It said something like "you aren't just going to leave me like this, are you?" I did. The trophy still popped indicating I granted its last wish. I'm assuming the game will treat it as if I wiped its memories.

report back. i am curious what will happen

go visit him in his village and we should have the answer.

Oh whoa. Yeah, let us know what happens.

Route B
playing as 9S, who is actually a solid fellow
is better than I expected. The
hacking is indeed very powerful, makes one lazy in taking out larger enemies compared to 2B extended dancing and slicing
. I'd still rather be doing the latter as it is more fun in action and visuals, but this is not too bad especially with how things change up on routes.

Experiment with d
ifferent weapons as he has a few different charge attacks. Also his dash attack differs depending on when you attack after the dash. Launcher is Jump > immediate Attack, Helm Breaker is double jump Attack.

Attack immediately after dashing will you get a good combo for single targets. Attacking a couple seconds after dash will get this attack where he throws out his sword that will go through multiple enemies, however because of this it isn't recommended as it will only hit the first enemy once or twice. I've seen videos of people spamming his long dash attack repeatedly and wondering why they are doing low damage so make sure you are not doing that against single targets.

If you like experimenting with different combos I'd recommend only using the hacking when required for the story or against a few choice enemies in the game that have absurdly high defense since it deals a ton of damage and imo it's more fun to use your weapons.

Arkeband

Banned
This game has no right to be open world.
The world design is terrible (lots of blocked roads and invisible walls), most of the side quests are abysmal and the back tracking feels really bad because the world is so boring and ugly.
The combat itself is great and I like the animations. This game should be linear, imo. For me this is another game destroyed by the open world concept.
Huge disappointment so far.

Having a connected world map is not automatically 'open world' for the reasons you stated.

So you're right, this game has no right to be open world.

And it's not.

Went back as 9S. Don't see Pascal in the usual spot. Wondering if I should load a previous save. :/

Edit: Checking the factory.
Edit 2: Gone.

Should I load a previous save? As far as I know, Pascal would've opened a shop.

i think he might have just disappeared for good. hmmmm

Having a connected world map is not automatically 'open world' for the reasons you stated.

So you're right, this game has no right to be open world.

And it's not.

Then this game has no right to be a connected world map. The concept and overall design doesn't work. It doesn't make the game better, imo.

When do you unlock
fast travel
?

It was about 8 hours in for me
It's after you fight a Goliath in the city ruins causing an explosion that reveals and undergound space ship. To get out you have to transport from a save point and from then on you can fast travel from save point to save point. The fast travel
really makes the side missions go from feeling like a chore to being fun.

nikos

i think he might have just disappeared for good. hmmmm

I have a save from an hour ago. I don't think I can leave things like this, though I'm tempted to roll with it and see if something happens later on.

Are the items in his shop important?

Finished Route "A" after 21 Hours, and started the next route immediately. It's so good. Can not wait for all the crazy upcoming things and events.

Rezae

Finished Route A last night. Jumping right back in tonight.

Agree with the open world discussions - I think this game would be a better experience if it was more linear. Love the combat and most mechanics, but not a fan of running around a mostly dull overworld.

ZangBa

I personally loved the world. It's not too big, not too small, just the perfect size for me. I loved the look of everything and maneuvering around never felt like a chore to me because I loved the controls and speed.

LotusHD

Banned
Finished Route A last night. Jumping right back in tonight.

Agree with the open world discussions - I think this game would be a better experience if it was more linear. Love the combat and most mechanics, but not a fan of running around a mostly dull overworld.

It's a shame too, because the androids run fast as fuck, and have a whole verticality to them through their double jumps and what not. But in the end, it's not enough to have me not think that it is tedious. Fortunately, it has a bunch of quirks that it does very well, such as the camera angles changing, which allows it to carve its own niche and let me be a lot more forgiving towards its world. Neither is it one of those open worlds that is clearly going for scale and size, meaning it could've been a lot worse lol

It was about 8 hours in for me
It's after you fight a Goliath in the city ruins causing an explosion that reveals and undergound space ship. To get out you have to transport from a save point and from then on you can fast travel from save point to save point. The fast travel
really makes the side missions go from feeling like a chore to being fun.

Thanks!!

It just sounds like you want a completely different game.

Maybe you're right. I just don't think the concept of this game works at all.

I still don't get what "has no right" means, but alright. Just stick to saying you don't like it lol

Yep.

"has no right" means that it shouldn't be open world (or a connected map) because this design decision stands in contrast with the great parts of the game (combat, animations, boss fights). It's tedious to walk around this map, so the pacing of the game suffers.

Crayon

There's definitely quiet time while you run 75mph towards the next objective but I find it deliberate and well considered. I don't think I was ever running somewhere (2-3 minutes at a time on the long side, mind you.) and not reflecting on whatever the hell just happened. Never feels too big.

LotusHD

Banned
"has no right" means that it shouldn't be open world (or a connected map) because this design decision stands in contrast with the great parts of the game (combat, animations, boss fights). It's tedious to walk around this map, so the pacing of the game suffers.

I mean I guess. Well anyways, there's fast travel, so not all bad.

There's definitely quiet time while you run 75mph towards the next objective but I find it deliberate and well considered. I don't think I was ever running somewhere (2-3 minutes at a time on the long side, mind you.) and not reflecting on whatever the hell just happened. Never feels too big.

Another thing that helps is the music, especially when it changes up on you.

LotusHD

Banned
Where the hell do you get combat bracers? About 1/4 of the way through route B and I've just realized they're the only weapons I haven't tried.

There's one in the resistance camp. You hack the box open to get it. Another one in the Amusement Park basement or w/e, where the TVs are. You also hack to get it. There are others, but yea.

Naite

8TptCfY.jpg

Managed to get 100% on everything but the fish. I don't think I have it in me to get every single type of fish.

chefbags

Just finished route A. 25 hrs in and lvl 30. The ending
was some dark af shit for a moment until 9s came back.

The Japanese VA deserves some applause cause they're so good. Now on to route b!

Would like to note that the boss fights are so good in this game. That even while I'm at normal they keep me on edge the whole time. Good shit Yoko Taro!

And also music is God tier lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Ah, so THAT'S what those were! Thanks.

You're welcome!

Just finished route A. 25 hrs in and lvl 30. The ending
was some dark af shit for a moment until 9s came back.

The Japanese VA deserves some applause cause they're so good. Now on to route b!

Would like to note that the boss fights are so good in this game. That even while I'm at normal they keep me on edge the whole time. Good shit Yoko Taro!

And also music is God tier lol.

I agree. I have a few chips that do their best to invalidate the challenge they provide, but nah, they're still pretty tough tbh

At the very least, it's fun attempting to continue to master your skills when fighting them, and taking as little damage as possible. And they're all appropriately epic, especially due to the music.

Xliskin

Am I the only one who impressed of how the areas connected together this is the most Dark souls thing I have seen in this game

ramyeon

Where the hell do you get combat bracers? About 1/4 of the way through route B and I've just realized they're the only weapons I haven't tried.
I have a few and I'm still in Route A.

There's one on a hidden elevated area in the Forest Zone.

And two others I bought from Emil's shop.

Did ending Y
I finally got to kill Emil, thank god.

It didn't give me the trophy though and I didn't feel like doing the fight a third time
(fr why you gonna make me fail the fight to get the ending, then do it again to finish the quest)
so I just bought it.

Naite

what is in the Novel section exactly? i did finish the game with the true ending, but i'm curious to know whats left there.

In route C
speak to Anemone as A2 and exhaust her dialogue. She'll direct you to a console that explains their past. The rest is earned from the main story

Levito

Banned
How long would route C run if you just did the main story? I just started it last night, curious to see how much I have left.

Top Bottom