• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

hollomat

Banned
I'm at the beginning of the C route and I'm so frustrated I'm thinking about quitting the game altogether despite putting 30 hours in so far.

Is there something I"m missing

I've become infected and I'm trying to get to the destination. The problem is I can't jump or move fast and enemies keep chaining me. I've died 7 times already.

Ah damn. So I'll have to finish B/C in order to play as 2B again, huh.

You'll unlock a Chapter Select after C, so yeah.

I'm at the beginning of the C route and I'm so frustrated I'm thinking about quitting the game altogether despite putting 30 hours in so far.

I've become infected and I'm trying to get to the destination. The problem is I can't jump or move fast and enemies keep chaining me. I've died 7 times already.

Um, you know you periodically get full control back for short periods of time, right? You need those short periods to do the jumps you need to do, the first being the jump on the pipe when you enter the City Ruins from the Flooded City and the second one being on the way to the bridge from there. You should be able to avoid enemies by walking a bit erratically.

Samikaze

Go down through the crater as a shortcut. There's a walkway that heads up to the other side.
if you're getting swarmed and can only walk, just keep pushing forward, it lets you run/jump every so often. Took me a few tries too.

Philippo

Just did the runaway kid quest from
Pascal
village.
It's not the first i've done, it's not even that special, yet the little, simple story it tries to tell, in such a deep complex plot, and that track playing at the end... I don't know, this game is fucking hitting something inside me, i get so emotional i am actually teared up right now.
I don't even know what to say anymore!!!

It's a bit finicky.
You have to time your bursts of functionality in order to get past enemies/gaps. Don't worry if you need to take longer routes around to avoid them, or if you have to use TONS of healing items to stay alive.

hollomat

Banned
It's a bit finicky.
You have to time your bursts of functionality in order to get past enemies/gaps. Don't worry if you need to take longer routes around to avoid them, or if you have to use TONS of healing items to stay alive.

Damn, that's what I figured. The problem is

I keep getting knocked around and the game won't even let me heal. I hit start and it gets me to the pause screen instead of the menu screen.

I guess I'll completely respec and just have nothing but auto chain

Go down through the crater as a shortcut. There's a walkway that heads up to the other side.
if you're getting swarmed and can only walk, just keep pushing forward, it lets you run/jump every so often. Took me a few tries too.

Yeah that's the route I've been taking. I'll keep trying though. Thanks.

I keep getting knocked around and the game won't even let me heal. I hit start and it gets me to the pause screen instead of the menu screen.

Don't you have Auto-use Item chips? They automatically use a health item if your health is low enough. Also heals more.

Squire

Banned
It's fun to use and you can be really aggressive with it since it staggers the enemy, does a little damage, and let's you resume attacking quickly. A perfect Dodge is easier and safer, tho.

You could almost say it comes down to whether you prefer MGRs counter or Bayo's Witch Time.

Hit down to access the quick item menu

Beat the game in its entirety for the 2nd time
now not deleting my save file

Finally i can do the post game content and sidequests. Also Managed to finish the game in a mere 9 hours. (Skipping through most of the game though)

OniBaka

Beat the game in its entirety for the 2nd time
now not deleting my save file

Finally i can do the post game content and sidequests. Also Managed to finish the game in a mere 9 hours. (Skipping through most of the game though)
It's so easy to replay the game

For me,
after exiting the pipe went left up the hill and then tight left/reverse to go around up top, watching the spacing from enemies while waiting for temporary functionality to return. Same with the chasm gap you need to jump, approach while anticipating temporary power to enable the leap.

True Fire

I don't think anyone will truly understand why Automata is getting amazing reviews until they've played Route C. After you let your guard down with Route B, the game comes in with
its goddamn sequel
. How crazy is Yoko Taro??

hollomat

Banned
Don't you have Auto-use Item chips? They automatically use a health item if your health is low enough. Also heals more.

That's a good point. I've never used that chip before since I've never needed it. Between the offense heal and the one that heals after a few seconds I've used maybe 3 health items the entire game.

This is actually the first time I've died

OniBaka

That's a good point. I've never used that chip before since I've never needed it. Between the offense heal and the one that heals after a few seconds I've used maybe 3 health items the entire game.

This is actually the first time I've died
Also change difficulty to easy until you get pass that part, I did it on first try on normal but I could tell it will be annoying for others as I was close to giving up.

Rainy

Banned
Did you guys pretty much do all of the sidequests during your route A playthrough?

Edit: A certain quest spoiler:
The resistance disappearance quest is pretty interesting. Love the music that plays after you tell the member their friend is dead. Now it says they're planning something, so I guess I should come back later? NEVERMIND. The quest just updated as I left the Resistance Camp.

Been enjoying my time with the game so far but I kind of hate the map, I'm not gonna lie.

Also, how long roughly does it take to complete one play through?

So, while I'm still waiting for the PC version, I have been wondering:
There have been several ppl who didn't like the demo and asked whether the full game is any "better".
As for me I actually liked the linearity of the demo, so how open world does the full game get? Could it be that I won't appreciate the rest of the game as much?

Is the
clown tank
any different in
route C?

No

C66kM1HWcAAWAoQ.jpg:large

Welp I managed to get past the first stage of opening mission third boss, but after the cutscene I died in three seconds in one hit to the new kind of projectile. Maybe I would survive with a defense boost item just at the start of the phase. But I should have gone to bed two hours ago, so I'll have to try another day.

It really feels like they forgot to put a save point at the start of the level. The two shortcuts I've found after replaying the mission 20 times make no sense without a checkpoint

Slater

Banned
Did you guys pretty much do all of the sidequests during your route A playthrough?

The resistance disappearance quest is pretty interesting. Love the music that plays after you tell the member their friend is dead. Now it says they're planning something, so I guess I should come back later?

If thats the quest in Route C go to where Emil's sidequest ended

Just finished Route B. As small in number as the tweaks to the ending were, they have some huge ramifications and damn
that C/D preview
! That's got me hooked.

Ok I'm part way through with the third run working towards c ending and yep it's a Yoko taro game alright.
2b dying and the whole drama with pascal and a2
. Got one last sidequest so I expect the subsequent runs to be pretty quick in comparison.

OniBaka

Welp I managed to get past the first stage of opening mission third boss, but after the cutscene I died in three seconds in one hit to the new kind of projectile. Maybe I would survive with a defense boost item just at the start of the phase. But I should have gone to bed two hours ago, so I'll have to try another day.

It really feels like they forgot to put a save point at the start of the level. The two shortcuts I've found after replaying the mission 20 times make no sense without a checkpoint
What difficulty are you playing, you should change to normal or easy until you reach a save point.

ramyeon

The resistance disappearance quest is pretty interesting. Love the music that plays after you tell the member their friend is dead. Now it says they're planning something, so I guess I should come back later? NEVERMIND. The quest just updated as I left the Resistance Camp.
I've done pretty much everything that can be done in Route A. I have a couple left (Including the last Father Servo one) to do before I continue with the main quest and finish Route A.

I got the plat, but
not the fair way
I don't know if I feel guilty about it or not, but I love that beyond being cheeky, it makes perfect sense, because it works as an incentive.
If you didn't know any better, you could get to Ending E, feel compelled to delete your save file, and have to start from 0. If your a trophy hunter but just want to help people without putting a trillion more hours in, you can get to that point, go "oh shit what?" load up a previous save, buy the trophies, redo the relatively easy fight for ending D/E and then choose to delete

Philippo

Is it normal that at 15hrs in,
just kicked A&E asses
i still only have two joke endings (T/W)? Is there a spoiler free-guide for those?

Is it normal that at 15hrs in,
just kicked A&E asses
i still only have two joke endings (T/W)? Is there a spoiler free-guide for those?

I found three in the first playthrough:
self-destruct in the bunker
eat Jackass' mackerel
delete your OS chip

hollomat

Banned
Finally beat the annoying beginning of route C. For anyone having issues, I switched to the following build and beat it on the first try:

Max amount of Invincibility after being hit
Lots of auto heal
Rest was Max HP and Movement speed up

nOoblet16

Considering how often it's stated from the first mission itself that scanner models are not fit for combat, 9S is battle ready as fuck and probably better than other battle models lol

Honestly, using the Level 4 Cruel Oath and equipping witch time made short work of most encounters when
playing as 9S. Big enemies can just get hacked.

Hell, the dragons can usually be easily subjugated, which REALLY helps out with crowds in those situations

Top Bottom