• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Exentryk

Isn't it already 1080z 60 fpp on console ?

Doubt the game will get any significant upgrades on PC ,but up to you.

Possibly 4K60 on PC though (but even 1080p60 would give better framerates). And then there's potential for mods and other controller customisations. Always go PC for multiplats. And since my PC is hooked up to the TV in the lounge, it's just like playing on consoles but with all these benefits. You can even turn off Dualshock 4's lightbar on PC :p

Hikami

Route C Question (Spoilers)
So uh, Pascal gives you an option to kill him or delete his memories.. I said screw it, I'm not choosing and thought I'd see if I could just walk away. Seems like the game let me but still gave me the trophy for "Granting Pascal's wish"? wat. So is he dead now?
(Pascal says something like "How could you, A2?)

Also, the trophy screenshot for this was pretty good for once: http://i.imgur.com/yWFn1LH.jpg

KMRiku

Neo Member
So uh, Pascal gives you an option to kill him or delete his memories.. I said screw it, I'm not choosing and thought I'd see if I could just walk away. Seems like the game let me but still gave me the trophy for "Granting Pascal's wish"? wat. So is he dead now?

Also, the trophy screenshot for this was pretty good for once: http://i.imgur.com/yWFn1LH.jpg

By leaving him without deleting his memories, it is implied that he committed suicide, since you never see him again

Samikaze

When I hacked him, it also killed him.
So maybe you made the only neutral choice.

Samikaze

Good to know, neat that the game let me make the choice like that.

Yeah that's a very Spec Ops: The Line type of choice.

game: "Chose A or B"
player: "What about C?"
game: "Yeah you can do that, or even D."

EDIT:
No it didn't
There was a countdown to reboot in a textbox and you can go back to his village later on as 9S to see him alone and forgotten

Really? That took away some of the punch, but at least I feel better about my choice.

I wonder if the guide book will expand on the
Emancipator from the Wandering Couple sidequest.
It's unusual to just drop a named individual like that and never expound on it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thanks

That was my first thought but I didn't want to risk it

BTW how are sidequests handles for the NG+
Do I have to do them all off again? Some I started on route A but couldn't finish. Mainly thinking about the Photographs one where I was blocked by a sandstorm in the desert and Wandering Couple where I paid them 50k and then didn't see them again

Thanks

Do I have to do them all off again? Some I started on route A but couldn't finish. Mainly thinking about the Photographs one where I was blocked by a sandstorm in the desert and Wandering Couple where I paid them 50k and then didn't see them again
No problem.

Unfinished quests are reset, but completed ones stay completed. You'll also find new sidequests unique to route B.

Ourobolus

Banned
Thanks

For those two specifically:

The sandstorm will show up, but you will not be blocked from entering the oasis.
After you give them 50K, leave and come back to the Flooded City and the next phase will start.

Thanks

The ones you didn't finish in route A you can redo in route B. But you need to start over. Some of them you already have the item and photos and stuff so you don't need to repeat the entire steps but stuff like paying them 50k... you'll need to pay again.

jonjonaug

Thanks

How this will work:
Some sidequests are unique to either route A or route B, but others can be found on either route including the ones you mentioned. Once you fully complete the game you'll unlock Chapter Select, so nothing is permanently missable.

Ourobolus

Banned
So, uh, I'm on my second playthrough (after the platinum, on hard)

am I the only one that realized that the Pods you have correspond to how you deal damage as a flight unit

i.e. you can switch between gun/laser/missile as a flight unit if you have the other pods

Gun is still the best though

Ending E spoilers.

Man, that last credits fight was something I'll never forget. Great idea and great execution. I can't fucking believe the game actually deleted my save data though. I should've learned from Nier lol

Anyway, really loved the game. The story wasn't as emotional as I expected it to be, but it was still great. That last fight between A2 and 9S was incredible.

Can I switch to easy mode to get the rest of trophies? Can you get all side endings in that mode?

LotusHD

Banned

OH WOW. I took off Self-Destruct for a bit, so I flustered as to how the fuck I would turn that off. Made me permanently stay away from that feature lol

So, uh, I'm on my second playthrough (after the platinum, on hard)

am I the only one that realized that the Pods you have correspond to how you deal damage as a flight unit

i.e. you can switch between gun/laser/missile as a flight unit if you have the other pods

Gun is still the best though

Nah I knew, just thought others figured it out. But yes, Gun is the best.

Ending E spoilers.

Man, that last credits fight was something I'll never forget. Great idea and great execution. I can't fucking believe the game actually deleted my save data though. I should've learned from Nier lol

Anyway, really loved the game. The story wasn't as emotional as I expected it to be, but it was still great. That last fight between A2 and 9S was incredible.

Can I switch to easy mode to get the rest of trophies? Can you get all side endings in that mode?

Easy mode is 100% the same, but PEOPLE PLEASE
Upload your saves to the cloud or to storage if you want to come back and do stuff after ending E!

Jotakori

Oh... I did it, I finished route E.

I feel a bit shell shocked right now. Like, my initial reaction was to feel a bit disappointed cuz I'm so used to really cinematic ending sequences, while this one was really simple. But taking some time to sit and think on it, and realizing fully what the final choice means, and everything that's happened.... It's surprisingly really deep. It's really hard hitting in a way I didn't except, and when you really stop to consider it, it's tough no matter what you choose.

Even though the true ending isn't necessarily sad, I'm still walking away feeling like I kinda want to cry?

So I guess, all in all, very good game. Makes you emotional in ways you definitely wouldn't expect.

Shameful.

I almost didn't
but I figured I wouldn't be thinking about the emotional impact of pressing the nuke button 6 months from now when I wanted to go back and see some detail or sidequest, or show a friend some particular part. But I also really wanted to help everyone

It's not often that you get to have your cake and eat it too.

SephLuis

I just got to ending E and I need some answers:

1)
Is ending E the last one in the story ? I know there's a bunch of smaller endings, but I want to know if there's more story beyond E.If yes, what should I do to go to it ?

Still about ending E, what exactly does it entail ? I got D and E in sequence so they are mixed together to me. The machines launch the ark and the pods restore 2A, 9S and 2B memories and place them in new bodies ?

2)
From what I could gather in the second part of the game, the machine's plan was, initially, to destroy the human server on the moon thus destroying the androids reason to fight. Then, apparently, they changed the plan to an ark carrying memories into space ?

3)
The Yohra project itself. Who designed it ? The humans or the machines ?
I first thought that the main objective fror Yohra was to wipe out the machines and then use the remaining DNA data on the moon to recreate humans.

Then, at the tower, it seems that project Yohra was made by the machines to make stronger Androids so that they could evolve even more through hardship.

I got really confused on this. Can anyone explain it ?

4)
If there a difference if you choose to stay in ending D ? I just picked up to go with the machines since 9S was going to die anyway.

More questions will probably pop up on my head once it stops bugging.

Easy mode is 100% the same, but PEOPLE PLEASE
Upload your saves to the cloud or to storage if you want to come back and do stuff after ending E!

On the other hand
being forced to replay the game means you get to go through the story with all the information you learned about the plot and the characters the first time through. It's not as much of a gamechanger as replaying Nier, but it still has some moments of subtle characterization that compound the suffering.

Plus, it's more honest!

Ourobolus

Banned
On the other hand
being forced to replay the game means you get to go through the story with all the information you learned about the plot and the characters the first time through. It's not as much of a gamechanger as replaying Nier, but it still has some moments of subtle characterization that compound the suffering.

Plus, it's more honest!
I'm going through hard mode on a separate save. Am I a monster?
I've beaten the original Nier :p

Jotakori

3)
The Yohra project itself. Who designed it ? The humans or the machines ?
I first thought that the main objective fror Yohra was to wipe out the machines and then use the remaining DNA data on the moon to recreate humans.

Then, at the tower, it seems that project Yohra was made by the machines to make stronger Androids so that they could evolve even more through hardship.

I got really confused on this. Can anyone explain it ?

I could be totally wrong here, but my understanding was that humans > made androids to fight machines/help them from extinction > this failed and humans died > androids, still left around and I guess tasked with fighting the machines couldn't handle this and were all getting corrupted because they lost their reason to live with the humans gone > group of andriods created project YoRHA with two aspects: front - that humans still lived on the moon and that's what they were all fighting for, but with certain key androids knowing they were extinct and keeping the truth -- and back: that YoRHa was designed to fail, that so when it did die the fact that humans no longer existed would die with them.

I think the machines hacked the information, and knew that DNA/remaining info of humans still existed and wanted to originally destroy that, but then ultimately decided not to. First, I think they decided not to destroy the androids because they wanted to continue evolving through struggle, and then finally being moved by the struggle to spare the human's DNA and preserve w/e info in space.

I think, anyway? Again, I could also be misunderstanding.. but that's what I got from it.

LotusHD

Banned
I could be totally wrong here, but my understanding was that humans > made androids to fight machines/help them from extinction > this failed and humans died > androids, still left around and I guess tasked with fighting the machines couldn't handle this and were all getting corrupted because they lost their reason to live with the humans gone > group of andriods created project YoRHA with two aspects: front - that humans still lived on the moon and that's what they were all fighting for, but with certain key androids knowing they were extinct and keeping the truth -- and back: that YoRHa was designed to fail, that so when it did die the fact that humans no longer existed would die with them.

I think the machines hacked the information, and knew that DNA/remaining info of humans still existed and wanted to originally destroy that, but then ultimately decided not to. First, I think they decided not to destroy the androids because they wanted to continue evolving through struggle, and then finally being moved by the struggle to spare the human's DNA and preserve w/e info in space.

I think, anyway? Again, I could also be misunderstanding.. but that's what I got from it.

This was my understanding as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No problem.

Unfinished quests are reset, but completed ones stay completed. You'll also find new sidequests unique to route B.

For those two specifically:

The sandstorm will show up, but you will not be blocked from entering the oasis.
After you give them 50K, leave and come back to the Flooded City and the next phase will start.

The ones you didn't finish in route A you can redo in route B. But you need to start over. Some of them you already have the item and photos and stuff so you don't need to repeat the entire steps but stuff like paying them 50k... you'll need to pay again.

How this will work:
Some sidequests are unique to either route A or route B, but others can be found on either route including the ones you mentioned. Once you fully complete the game you'll unlock Chapter Select, so nothing is permanently missable.
Awesome

Thanks

SephLuis

My understanding is very different, especially taking in consideration some of the reports:

- First the humans were extinct because of the failed project Gestalt aka what happened in Nier 1. That was the main reason of the humans extinction. However there was sometime between the project failure and actual demise of the human race.

One of the things they tried was to preserve human DNA and put it on the moon server. This was done by Popola and Devola after the project gestalt failed from what I could gather.

There's one comment of the commander that also confused me and I might be remembering wrong. When she explained Project Yorha to 9S she said that humans were long extinct even before the aliens invaded. Am I remembering this wrong ?

- Second, in the files there were a lot of confidential info that even the commander of Yorha wouldn't know. One of them, for example, was the backdoor that would lead to the bunker destruction or that Yorha was a project designed to fail.

One of the reports and the scenes suggest that all combat data from the current Yohra models would be used for a future generation of models. Again, this only makes sense if it's a machine designed system since Androids would be wiped out only to be reconstructed even stronger.

My understanding is very different, especially taking in consideration some of the reports:

- First the humans were extinct because of the failed project Gestalt aka what happened in Nier 1. That was the main reason of the humans extinction. However there was sometime between the project failure and actual demise of the human race.

One of the things they tried was to preserve human DNA and put it on the moon server. This was done by Popola and Devola after the project gestalt failed from what I could gather.

There's one comment of the commander that also confused me and I might be remembering wrong. When she explained Project Yorha to 9S she said that humans were long extinct even before the aliens invaded. Am I remembering this wrong ?

- Second, in the files there were a lot of confidential info that even the commander of Yorha wouldn't know. One of them, for example, was the backdoor that would lead to the bunker destruction or that Yorha was a project designed to fail.

One of the reports and the scenes suggest that all combat data from the current Yohra models would be used for a future generation of models. Again, this only makes sense if it's a machine designed system since Androids would be wiped out only to be reconstructed even stronger.
No, you are right. She did say that.

I really need to get on with it. I'm 10 hours in and still on route a, messing around with side quests and smacking enemies around. Maybe I'll drop it back down to normal so I can story mode it for awhile. Damnit Platinum, why did you have to make the combat so fun?

SephLuis

No, you are right. She did say that.

And suddenly I feel confused like a Psyduck.

I am trying to make more sense of everything and it's 2 am here.
My biggest question is who created Yohra and why. The conclusion I got was that
it was created by the machines. The machines orders was to defeat the enemy and they realized they needed an enemy to be defeated so they couldn't destroy all androids.
Yorha, I guess, was the project for latest model they build based on battle data from previous generations and that it's main purpose was to battle machines in order to force them to continually evolve.

Ending C, from what I understood, 2A managed to defeat the machine's network and only 9S survived. So, in a way, the androids won the war (considering the only machine left alive was Pascal because it wasn't in the network).

Ending D and E, the machines are send their rocket with all their memories (and, I imagine, their network) and, essentially, leave the planet for the remaining androids. Humanities remains are still one the moon.

Is anything wrong with what I could gather?

Jotakori

Hmmm, I was parsing through the spoiler thread to fill in the holes for myself as well, and you have some points.
From what I read, the aliens invaded after the failed gestalt project and brought the machines with them, but the androids -- with the help of Emil -- defeated the aliens. So you're totally right there and that was me getting confused.
And you brought up a good point with the Tower possibly being behind the repeat cycle for androids, but they made it also sound as though the androids themselves created the project and repeat cycle as a direct response to the humans going extinct. Cuz otherwise, they knew if the androids won and defeated all of the machines, they would ultimately go to the moon and discover humans no longer existed. Which would result in the androids losing their will to live and end up at square one.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
And suddenly I feel confused like a Psyduck.

I am trying to make more sense of everything and it's 2 am here.
My biggest question is who created Yohra and why. The conclusion I got was that
it was created by the machines. The machines orders was to defeat the enemy and they realized they needed an enemy to be defeated so they couldn't destroy all androids.
Yorha, I guess, was the project for latest model they build based on battle data from previous generations and that it's main purpose was to battle machines in order to force them to continually evolve.

Ending C, from what I understood, 2A managed to defeat the machine's network and only 9S survived. So, in a way, the androids won the war (considering the only machine left alive was Pascal because it wasn't in the network).

Ending D and E, the machines are send their rocket with all their memories (and, I imagine, their network) and, essentially, leave the planet for the remaining androids. Humanities remains are still one the moon.

Is anything wrong with what I could gather?

the androids created yorha, it says it right in the game, in order to preserve their meaningless existence because other androids were giving into complete despair fightin the Aliens and robots, and they fooled resistance members on t he ground into beliving in it by faking radio signals from the moon in order to increase resistance morale. It is again explained in text documents you get in the game.

The last recorded Replicant died in 4000 something, so many years before aliens attacked in the 5000s and gestalts were long gone even by the time the replicants died off

The original humans lasted about 50 years on their own fighting against WCS and legion, and lasted for about 1000 years more being gestalts[

Exentryk

2 DAYS STEAM HYPE

Game must be doing well too:

gYz7Yfp.png

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ugh, I'm pissed.

(End of Route A spoilers)

Died against Eve and forgot to pick up my chips because I dunno, I'd only died once up to that point and I forgot every game wants to be Souls nowadays. So not wanting to lose all my shit, I re-load only to remember that the last time I'd saved was after leaving the abandoned factory. So yay, great, I've gotta re-do like five bosses or something.

God dammit.

Top Bottom