• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

BriGuy

If I was designing this game, I would have made the pod abilities (like the big laser, hammer and stuff) exclusive to 2B and made hacking 9S's exclusive pod ability. That way, there would be a cool down between hacking uses to prevent exploiting them and 9S would still have access to light and heavy attacks. I think it would rectify a lot of the issues people have with playing him.

Exentryk

Is the PC version out yet?

C66gC-IW0AI8pWm.jpg

Lum1n3s

I ended up buying Nier thanks to GAF hyping me up on it and I just started playing. The beginning is pure clutch mode and already has me hooked
holy crap at me dying though and beating the game with the W ending, was so not expecting that. XD

K.Sabot

Having trouble fighting as 9S?
Here's what you need to do

1) Buy Spear
2) Add fuck ton of damage boosting chips
3) Throw Spear

my strat was

1) iron pipe +3 /+4
2) all crit / damage mods, maybe an offensive / deadly heal
3) kill everything my level in 1-2 hits

it's a blast.

ChanMan

Beat the game in its entirety for the 2nd time
now not deleting my save file

Finally i can do the post game content and sidequests. Also Managed to finish the game in a mere 9 hours. (Skipping through most of the game though)

Good to know it doesn't take too long to run through the game going mission to mission on easy.

Just did that lore-rich sidequest that revealed officially what was obvious to Nier players,
that the desert ruins are of Facade
. Temporarily enjoying watching
A2
sashaying around, dropping Wave and missile payloads on everything (pod upgrades make a difference), drifting boars into enemies (as always...), etc. About to get back on track with some serious main story business though.

Game is clearly a new top favorite.

Pygrus

So I'm trying to do the side quest
The one where you need to track down the rogue yorha agents.
(early game side quest spoilers)

I go to the area marked on the map and I just cant seem to find any of them. I check in buildings and everything else I can think of.

Anyone know how to find them?

Rainy

Banned
Whelp lost some progress earlier because for some damn reason I thought the game auto-saved when I obviously knew it didn't (too much Zelda!).

Anyway I did a few side-quests. Enjoyed the Runaway side-quest, was simple but enjoyable. The Resistance Disappearance Sidequest seems like it leaves some stuff open. Also that Jean-Paul one...lol.

So I'm trying to do the side quest
The one where you need to track down the rogue yorha agents.
(early game side quest spoilers)

I go to the area marked on the map and I just cant seem to find any of them. I check in buildings and everything else I can think of.

Anyone know how to find them?

Go to the one buy the factory, you will have to jump onto the broken highway, then when you get to the end of the highway jump off to your right. Then they run to the other locations.

ds1724

God I hate this game. I promised myself I'd see it through to the end though.
The demo came out and I didn't know it was a sequel to anything...played it and was blown away! This is a different kind of game from all those sandbox, side quest filled games that I'm tired of! Can't wait! Sold!

But the demo was a lie. This is the most disappointed I've ever been with a game. I want to like it, I do. But it's bad. The game does a horrible job explaining the chip/plug in system, the whole gimmick of losing everything if you don't recover your body sucks, the combat is horrible, the map has got to be the worst map in the history of gaming,, and as I said I'm exhausted with all of the side quest gaming crap....I expected a game like the demo they released, silly me. The music is good though. But I hate the game so much that the grandiose music makes me angry,

pezzie

The demo came out and I didn't know it was a sequel to anything...played it and was blown away! This is a different kind of game from all those sandbox, side quest filled games that I'm tired of! Can't wait! Sold!

But the demo was a lie. This is the most disappointed I've ever been with a game. I want to like it, I do. But it's bad. The game does a horrible job explaining the chip/plug in system, the whole gimmick of losing everything if you don't recover your body sucks, the combat is horrible, the map has got to be the worst map in the history of gaming,, and as I said I'm exhausted with all of the side quest gaming crap....I expected a game like the demo they released, silly me. The music is good though. But I hate the game so much that the grandiose music makes me angry,

You will enjoy gaming more if you stopped playing games you actively dislike! I mean, I loved this game, but if you're hating it that much just stop. I used to force myself to play through things, but now I just stop if I'm not enjoying myself after a few hours. That time could be spent on games that I enjoy!

Should I play Nier first, or is the story pretty standalone?

The story is completely stand alone, but there are many references that you will have a greater appreciation of if you at least learn where they came from. I won't tell you that you have to play Nier, but you should at least check out some recap videos on Youtube.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished route A. Looking forward to where the other endings go. Enjoying this quite a bit overall despite the bugs I keep running into.

Should I play Nier first, or is the story pretty standalone?
It can be enjoyed standalone, but some moments will lose their impact, and you will spoil some big things about the first game.

The original Nier is a beautiful, genius work, and I would suggest not ruining it for yourself with a plot summary or Automata's spoilers unless you can't stand the dated, janky gameplay. The Dark Id's LP is almost as good as playing the game yourself, if that helps.

ds1724

You will enjoy gaming more if you stopped playing games you actively dislike! I mean, I loved this game, but if you're hating it that much just stop. I used to force myself to play through things, but now I just stop if I'm not enjoying myself after a few hours. That time could be spent on games that I enjoy!

I keep hoping something will click and make me change my opinion of it...as I said I want to like it...I like the basic premise of the story/characters. I'm definitely not doing any of the extras though. I'll beat it and trade it in.

Samikaze

So is it just me or is the forest zone castle
Popolas library built up over time
?

I was thinking the same thing.
Route C mini-spoiler:
Apparently these aren't the same models though. they were killed at the end of the first game. Their models could be programmed to like book collecting though.

True Fire

Nobody's forcing you to do side quests. You can literally run straight from Boss 2 to Boss 3 to Boss 4 to Boss 5 to Boss 6.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This... is not the game I expected. I never played the OG Nier so I was expecting mission-based, linear gameplay like Metal Gear Rising based on the demo. It's way more RPG than that. Not that that's bad, it's just completely unlike any other game I've played.

Vigamox

I keep hoping something will click and make me change my opinion of it...as I said I want to like it...I like the basic premise of the story/characters. I'm definitely not doing any of the extras though. I'll beat it and trade it in.
Admittedly Square did a pretty bad job marketing this game. From the trailers and demo I can easily see how someone would be misled into assuming this was an action game. They never really demonstrated or showed off any of the RPG elements in these trailers.

Just ignore the sidequests and play through the main game if the story interests you.

Althane

Admittedly Square did a pretty bad job marketing this game. From the trailers and demo I can easily see how someone would be misled into assuming this was an action game. They never really demonstrated or showed off any of the RPG elements in these trailers.

Just ignore the sidequests and play through the main game if the story interests you.

This is what I'm telling my friend who's somewhat burned out on open world games right now. Just don't worry about the sidequests. If you want to grind some, they're there as entertainment/grinding purposes. Otherwise, go right ahead through the game.

For those who've beaten it, how far am I right now?
Just met A2 in the Forest Castle, and talked to Pascal about her.

Enjoying the game in small doses. Some times I'll start it up and push through some story. Other times I'll just go do some sidequests. Maybe this weekend I'll get time to play a larger chunk.

LotusHD

Banned
This is what I'm telling my friend who's somewhat burned out on open world games right now. Just don't worry about the sidequests. If you want to grind some, they're there as entertainment/grinding purposes. Otherwise, go right ahead through the game.

For those who've beaten it, how far am I right now?
Just met A2 in the Forest Castle, and talked to Pascal about her.

Enjoying the game in small doses. Some times I'll start it up and push through some story. Other times I'll just go do some sidequests. Maybe this weekend I'll get time to play a larger chunk.

Halfway through Route A more or less.

This... is not the game I expected. I never played the OG Nier so I was expecting mission-based, linear gameplay like Metal Gear Rising based on the demo. It's way more RPG than that. Not that that's bad, it's just completely unlike any other game I've played.

Uh oh, that's what I was afraid of.
Really loved the fast paced and linear design of the demo.
Oh well, it's good to hear that the side quests can all be done later on, if I I understood correctly.

LotusHD

Banned
Uh oh, that's what I was afraid of.
Really loved the fast paced and linear design of the demo.

It's really not that bad. You can focus on just the main story if you want, or just do a couple of sidequests here and there once you unlock fast travel. And yes, none of the sidequests can be completely missed out on.

It's really not that bad. You can focus on just the main story if you want, or just do a couple of sidequests here and there once you unlock fast travel. And yes, none of the sidequests can be completely missed out on.

Will have to see how it goes. Really hope that I'll love the game as much as you guys.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Isn't it already 1080z 60 fpp on console ?

Doubt the game will get any significant upgrades on PC ,but up to you.

PC version might get 4K unless they keep the resolution just to 1080p plus potential mods that we need to see how denuvo affects that.

Jotakori

Route C/D ending question!
So it looks like I got ending D and still need C -- to do this am I just supposed to do chapter select and replay the ending but choosing A2?
Because just clicking load game from title screen after finishing ending D seems to start me at the beginning of route A again. So I assume I'm supposed to do the chapter select thing, but just wanna make sure? : o

HeelPower

The sidequests flesh out the world and are super well written ,and they're all optional 100%.

You can play the game focusing solely on main quest ,and it would pretty much be a linear affair.

You're wrong about the combat.Just straight up wrong.Sorry.The chip system is like any Ability points in any RPG.Not too complex.

The game takes some getting used to ,but that's exactly why its so good.A linear arcadey game is not superior to this.

Sorry the game's not for you.Its RPG heaven.

Route C/D ending question!
So it looks like I got ending D and still need C -- to do this am I just supposed to do chapter select and replay the ending but choosing A2?
Because just clicking load game from title screen after finishing ending D seems to start me at the beginning of route A again. So I assume I'm supposed to do the chapter select thing, but just wanna make sure? : o
You're correct. Strap in, buddy.

Top Bottom