• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I'm nearly done with game, Just need a few more materials.

Any good places to buy/farm the following?

Large Gear
Sturdy Socket
Prestine Screw

Demoskinos

Can someone answer a quick question? Are there very time sensitive side quests in this game? Just before
I go underground after the goliath created a huge hole in the middle of the city.
and I have a bunch of sidequests on the map in places that I have zero idea how to get to.

Am I generally safe to just progress story?

LotusHD

Banned
Can someone answer a quick question? Are there very time sensitive side quests in this game? Just before
I go underground after the goliath created a huge hole in the middle of the city.
and I have a bunch of sidequests on the map in places that I have zero idea how to get to.

You are safe.

Yes and no. There is a point of no return eventually, but you can go back to quests in a later playthru

For Ref of when:

The Flooded City is warning marker. After clearing the Flooded City, you will lose access to a lot of subquests

What the fuck, I think I just ran into a glitch during the final battle in route b...

Hit the phase where
close range combat is no longer an option
and now the camera is stuck focusing on the ground and the black bars are just stuck there like it's still in a cutscene...

I'm nearly done with game, Just need a few more materials.

Any good places to buy/farm the following?

Large Gear
Sturdy Socket
Prestine Screw

Route A done or actually done?

You can't really farm higher level mats until the game progresses, as they generally have a much lower or nonexistent chance of dropping from lower level bots

Demoskinos

Yes and no. There is a point of no return eventually, but you can go back to quests in a later playthru

For Ref of when:

The Flooded City is warning marker. After clearing the Flooded City, you will lose access to a lot of subquests

Well my current objective says
"Flooded City Recon" so... I guess that's it?

Exentryk

From reddit:

yqa7KUa.jpg

chrono01

I really need to get on with it. I'm 10 hours in and still on route a, messing around with side quests and smacking enemies around. Maybe I'll drop it back down to normal so I can story mode it for awhile. Damnit Platinum, why did you have to make the combat so fun?
This is about where I am. Granted I only started the day before yesterday (it took forever for my Black Box Edition to arrive from SE), so I'm mostly just taking my time, doing side-quests, running across the environments, etc. So much fun, I'm really enjoying it. The only issue I have is the frame stutters that happen in the open-world (I'm playing on a PS4 Pro too), but aside form that, no complaints.

2B is amazing as I knew she'd be. Also, the humor in this game is just incredible.

Edit: Also, the music. THE MUSIC! Perfection.

i don't know if a lot of you that have questions about the endings have 100% the archieve, but the machine report by jackass you get from ending c/d and selecting "no" to fixing the credits, gives you the report that explains a lot.

So I never gave this game thought at all as I've never played the original Nier. Apparently it's related to Drakengard as well? I've never played that series, either.

I caught one of my favorite streamers playing it and Automata looks pretty interesting. I decided to order it since I have Prime and same day delivery so hopefully I'll be playing later tonight.

I hope it's a good idea going in semi blind in terms of gameplay, I hope to enjoy it. I enjoyed Bayonetta and Vanquish though I have ignored every other game by Platinum ever since. Not sure what happened there but something has turned me off from buying other Platinum games even though I have a Wii U. Anyway, didn't mean to go off topic.

I'm hoping for something special.

Oh, and the music I've heard so far has been phenomenal.

rynvie

Neo Member

I'd like to mention that in route C there's a certain pal running around the City Ruins who has a lot of these materials. His inventory seems either random, or tied to the location he is prowling around in. His speed and pitch of the song change too. Anyway, it can take several times of transporting around and entering the city ruins from another angle to get his inventory to the right cycle. I was able to purchase materials for and upgrade almost all of my weapons this way. Also, the half-wit inventor sidequest will become a shop that has meteorite shards and meteorites, which are rare and crucial for maxing all weapons.[

source: just got the plat a couple hours ago.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far from this game. But I'm totally a virgin to the series. Can I start with this one? Is there a good YouTube video that sums up the first Neir so I can get the general gist of deeper story elements?

Or should I just pass on it since story is a big part of the package?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far from this game. But I'm totally a virgin to the series. Can I start with this one? Is there a good YouTube video that sums up the first Neir so I can get the general gist of deeper story elements?

You can start with this one.

This might be one of the few "story connected" series where you 100% absolutely can just start with this one. They're only trivially connected.

I have played the original Nier, and I couldn't even really tell you how it connects to Automata yet. From my experience they might as well be different series altogether.

The connections seem to be very deep and obscure, and for super hardcore fans. I think it's an Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/The Last Guardian type of connection. It's there. I'm sure the wikis connect all the dots. But for most players they will register as standalone games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0

Watch this

and these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__q_Nx9WbgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwEbOHo7Aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4rez0DnSk

I've beaten the whole game, and yeah there will be confusing parts or have less impact due to not knowing certain things, so that's why i recommend reading these atleast.

I understand the previous games are pretty outdated so i don't expect new comers to play through them

chrono01

I'm seriously considering importing the full OST, even though I have the one that came with the Black Box Edition. It's too good, I need the full thing.

BocoDragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE6n2KGbaZ0

Watch this

and these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__q_Nx9WbgY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnwEbOHo7Aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM4rez0DnSk

I've beaten the whole game, and yeah there will be confusing parts or have less impact due to not knowing certain things, so that's why i recommend reading these atleast.

I understand the previous games are pretty outdated so i don't expect new comers to play through them
Since you've gone through the whole Taro oeuvre, would you say that the games are literally "story sequels" to one another?

So far they seem more "tangentially" connected than Tarantino or Kevin Smith films... But I haven't gone that deep on it yet.

Hikami

Got endings C, D, and E.

The last part of a game is usually what I remember from it. Like Persona 3&4's ending credits cutscenes with a memorable song playing. Similiarly, the credits section in this was so well done. I'll definitely be remembering this.
I got spoiled on the save data deletion already so I made sure to back up my saves lol.

Amazing game, serious contender for GOTY for me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Since you've gone through the whole Taro oeuvre, would you say that the games are literally "story sequels" to one another?

So far they seem more "tangentially" connected than Tarantino or Kevin Smith films... But I haven't gone that deep on it yet.

I would say Drakengard 1 and 3 have about as much to do with each other as Nier and Automata honestly. The connections are there, but the timelines are so far apart that you only start to see the connections if you look closer and know all of the lore.

Drakengard 2 is the closest thing i would consider a traditional 'sequel' and although it has many good ideas, i think it suffers just as much for it.

Cause Yoko Taro isn't one for direct sequels and conventional follow ups, you can immediately tell when something isn't his

BocoDragon

I would say Drakengard 1 and 3 have about as much to do with each other as Nier and Automata honestly. The connections are there, but the timelines are so far apart that you only start to see the connections if you look closer and know all of the lore.

Drakengard 2 is the closest thing i would consider a traditional 'sequel' and although it has many good ideas, i think it suffers just as much for it.

Cause Yoko Taro isn't one for direct sequels and conventional follow ups, you can immediately tell when something isn't his

Well I've already gone down the road of looking up Drakengards and such on eBay ;) Luckily nothing seems too expensive.

I am sure that 99% of people will not need to play those to enjoy Automata though, to be clear.

Moonkid

Is the hacking music dynamic or is there a chance it'll be on the OST?
There are already rips of it on Youtube so even if the soundtracks don't include them we have full songs in chiptune form. I'd like to imagine they'd do a chiptune release though considering the abundance of remix albums from the first game.

Top Bottom