• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

mAcOdIn

I finished it. Spectacular game. My current game of the year so far with many left to play. I actually really liked the story in this game and it's a lot better than I thought it would be. I like anything with futuristic premises mixed into plots. Had a little bit of an Assassin's Creed vibe to it.

The only question is, how do they improve it on another entry? The game was so good, I can't think of much to improve on. Buying items in bulk would be one idea. When I was too lazy to farm items, going to a merchant and hitting X over and over and over was annoying.
you can buy items in bulk.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
There are already rips of it on Youtube so even if the soundtracks don't include them we have full songs in chiptune form. I'd like to imagine they'd do a chiptune release though considering the abundance of remix albums from the first game.

The soundtrack is 3 discs with the 3rd being the hacking tracks https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01LTI9I72/. I can't wait for the proper soundtrack release I need this music everyday. The YouTube rips are good but I need it with me all the time

Oh look another sidequest with a huge level 48 machine at the end while I'm level 26. This is getting annoying.

Pretty much my biggest complaint about the game so far. I love the concept of sidequests that are available across multiple play throughs however I've run into too many that have much higher level enemies.
The combat system is simple/forgiving enough that you can power through but it takes much longer than I'd like.

Yu Narukami

Pretty much my biggest complaint about the game so far. I love the concept of sidequests that are available across multiple play throughs however I've run into too many that have much higher level enemies.
The combat system is simple/forgiving enough that you can power through but it takes much longer than I'd like.
They should at least state a recommended level.

Moonkid

The soundtrack is 3 discs with the 3rd being the hacking tracks https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B01LTI9I72/. I can't wait for the proper soundtrack release I need this music everyday. The YouTube rips are good but I need it with me all the time
I'm just looking forward to being able to browse the soundtrack without being spoiled by videos on the recommended section lol. It'll be some time before I reach ending E though >_>

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Well I've already gone down the road of looking up Drakengards and such on eBay ;) Luckily nothing seems too expensive.

I am sure that 99% of people will not need to play those to enjoy Automata though, to be clear.

I don't know, its kind of iffy just because of certain references they go out of their way to introduce to the player at certain points of the game.

"hey guys this is a nier sequel, hey guys, hey hey guys! Remember this thing? Hey we're pretty clever referencing this right?"

I mean, i got all the references and was very stoked about them, but i was also kind of annoyed it was sold as completely stand alone because there WILL be people lost about certain things like

the whole segment on devola and popola and their visual novel backstory, the mentions of project gestalt in the bunker's files ect, they even have time to directly shout out Caim and angelus directly

I think it would have been much better for newcomers if they had just alluded to the fact that a disease had spread and killed humanity without going into specifics about what it was

LotusHD

Banned
I don't know, its kind of iffy just because of certain references they go out of their way to introduce to the player at certain points of the game.

"hey guys this is a nier sequel, hey guys, hey hey guys! Remember this thing? Hey we're pretty clever referencing this right?"

I mean, i got all the references and was very stoked about them, but i was also kind of annoyed it was sold as completely stand alone because there WILL be people lost about certain things like

the whole segment on devola and popola and their visual novel backstory, the mentions of project gestalt in the bunker's files ect, they even have time to directly shout out Caim and angelus directly

I think it would have been much better for newcomers if they had just alluded to the fact that a disease had spread and killed humanity without going into specifics about what it was

Yea, after seeing the references, I'm really glad I watched Nier first. It still isn't mandatory, but like with
Devola and Popola especially, that whole backstory could easily just be completely lost on you, or at least a lot less impactful, if you're unfamiliar with them. I remember doing a sidequest for them and I got some chills when they described that they were being punished for something they did. Whole time I was thinking they'd be up to no good again (and technically they were I guess), but nope, super sad backstory time. That's the only thing that really sticks out to me though. Project Gestalt records are fine, so is Emil, etc.

Inuhanyou

Yea, after seeing the references, I'm really glad I watched Nier first. It still isn't mandatory, but like with
Devola and Popola especially, that whole backstory could easily just be completely lost on you, or at least a lot less impactful, if you're unfamiliar with them. I remember doing a sidequest for them and I got some chills when they described that they were being punished for something they did. Whole time I was thinking they'd be up to no good again (and technically they were I guess), but nope, super sad backstory time. That's the only thing that really sticks out to me though. Project Gestalt records are fine, so is Emil, etc.

i even iiked some of the references like the reconstruction of devola and popola's library with popola in the backround music like the original game, but some i just felt went a bit too far for new fans

Moonkid

For those who liked the style of vocals used for the post-prologue factory boss, here are some other tracks Okabe composed for an anime that use the same vocals. This was brought to attention from the release of the first gameplay trailer last year or so but I think it's worth sharing again :) I think the first one could fit in pretty easily without anyone batting an eye even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_jSDVXwSO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUu1LOCdrY

Inuhanyou

For those who liked the style of vocals used for the post-prologue factory boss, here are some other tracks Okabe composed for an anime that use the same vocals. This was brought to attention from the release of the first gameplay trailer last year or so but I think it's worth sharing again :) I think the first one could fit in pretty easily without anyone batting an eye even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_jSDVXwSO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUu1LOCdrY

XD THAT'S SO FUNNY! It gives me flashbacks and nostalgia bombs cause okabe's work is so distinct

okabe uses those chanting girls for basically everything xD all the way back in tekken 5 dark Resurrection he was using them like 11 years ago when i was but a lad in high school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj5fezE20XA

He used them for tekken 6 too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKUVpcF-Xw

and i bet even tekken 7 on console will have them as well

Route C Question:
is it fine to just keep picking A2 the each time just to see her side of things then go 9S afterwards, or do I only have a fixed number of times I can swap characters.

Inuhanyou

Route C Question:
is it fine to just keep picking A2 the each time just to see her side of things then go 9S afterwards, or do I only have a fixed number of times I can swap characters.

its fine to pick A2, but know her route is shared with 9S so you have to do his 3 missions eventually. I prefer to swap between, they both have 3 missions

LotusHD

Banned
i even iiked some of the references like the reconstruction of devola and popola's library with popola in the backround music like the original game, but some i just felt went a bit too far for new fans

Yea I agree. Now I low-key feel like I gotta convince my friend to watch a playthrough or at least the analysis videos lol

Need help gaf. Got my last sidequest and I need 95% Intel on unit data and only at 76%. Working towards ending c so is it best to move on and come back on another run or is it possible within this run.

Moonkid

XD THAT'S SO FUNNY! It gives me flashbacks and nostalgia bombs cause okabe's work is so distinct

okabe uses those chanting girls for basically everything xD all the way back in tekken 5 dark Resurrection he was using them like 11 years ago when i was but a lad in high school

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj5fezE20XA

He used them for tekken 6 too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSKUVpcF-Xw

and i bet even tekken 7 on console will have them as well
Haha that's cool as! He really knows how to use this particular style of timbre, especially for dramatic effect.

I've got say, the underlying story of Devola and Popola, even disassociating the OG NieR reference, was some powerful shit.

In video games, it's probably the best told story about
institutional racism
I've seen in a long, long, long time.

I've got say, the underlying story of Devola and Popola, even disassociating the OG NieR reference, was some powerful shit.

institutional racism

Being reprogrammed to feel guilt regardless if they were responsible or not was extremely heartbreaking.

LotusHD

Banned

institutional racism

Being reprogrammed to feel guilt regardless if they were responsible or not was extremely heartbreaking.

Yea, that was utterly heartrending. I'm not even remotely surprised that people would shun them like that, but it was still tough to read through. But then you read the part that they went ahead and forced them to feel eternally guilty and I'm like what the fuck, so unnecessary lol

I felt even worse because the sidequest for them primed to believe that they either fucked up again, or that they would end up doing some shady shit yet again. But nope, they didn't do anything, they just had the misfortune of existing. Tragic. Worst part is that they're essentially immortal, so who knows how long they've been suffering.

Ironically they still meddled just like the OG Devola and Popola, and helped out 9S, a dude that intended on getting rid of everything if he had his way.

That was one thing I didn't get. Why is the library there?

No clue

They should at least state a recommended level.

That would be helpful - as others have said, you can power through but it really does take a long time. It can be slightly frustrating when it's quest locations that are hard to escape from without taking a death if you realise you've over-reached
(e.g. 'Robo Dojo' with the fencing - I've not died to him but the last fight I had with him must've taken 10-15 minutes and I'm too scared to give him the next set of items yet!

Related to this, is there anyway to jump from the quest menu to the relevant map marker? At the moment, I'm going through the quest list and then having to switch tab, zoom out of the map and check out the red markers. Not a huge complaint, the descriptions normally indicate the area, but it would just save me a lot of time.

Just finished the boss battle when you
first go to Flooded City
and fuck me, it was brilliant. Absolutely in love with this game, so far it's everything that I've wanted from a new Nier game.

Weiss

Banned
Just the machines imitating human records really. If not fanservice, still works in that prospective. Recall that the machines were also imitating Facade in the desert.

That makes sense but I can't help but be a little disappointed that
it's just really fanservice.

Would the comparison, in terms of gameplay, of 2B = Raiden,
9S = his own thing, but I can only really think of Bladewolf as a analogy, and A2 = Jetstream Sam
be appropriate?

Regarding references to the first game: I've gotten nowhere in Automata (because I'm a stubborn son of a bitch who refuses to switch from har) but already in the first saw arm battle in the opening mission, the music is a reference to a track in the original game

Inuhanyou

Regarding references to the first game: I've gotten nowhere in Automata (because I'm a stubborn son of a bitch who refuses to switch from har) but already in the first saw arm battle in the opening mission, the music is a reference to a track in the original game

having song of the ancients in the game is just common sense though for having a game with the name nier in the title

Inuhanyou

What can I safely sell? Only things that have the "Can be exchanged for money" description?

you can sell anything TBH, i just sold all the materials early on and got up to over a million G...its pretty easy(aka effortless) to farm materials after a certain point anyway, especially if you just max out your chipset with drop rate percentage

ramyeon

So I just beat Route A and I was very impressed - loved the ending. If it gets better from here on in I'm not sure how I'll cope.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I feel startlingly weak. I just *Route A Forest Zone boss spoilers*
met 2A and beat her
and have only been able to upgrade my starter weapon to level 3.

This game pretty much destroyed my social life. 56 hours in, finished Route C. It was actually even better than I was expecting.

Route C spoilers
so, reformatted Pascal is selling Children's Cores for ~20k. I can then sell them to Emil's shop for ~50k. Do they have any other use? I'd like to know before I sell them for a meagre 30k gain :p

Rizzi

you can sell anything TBH, i just sold all the materials early on and got up to over a million G...its pretty easy(aka effortless) to farm materials after a certain point anyway, especially if you just max out your chipset with drop rate percentage

Oh, okay. Didn't want to sell some material and then have to spend ages finding it again once I finally need it. :p

black070

How long does it take to reach ending A ? I didn't want to start this game up until I had some free time but I just can't resist !

I feel startlingly weak. I just *Route A Forest Zone boss spoilers*
met 2A and beat her
and have only been able to upgrade my starter weapon to level 3.

Experiment with plug-in chips (buy all the slots) and buy some different pod programs. I bought Mirage personally and wrecked the forest groups in one go. Finding an extra pod works wonders too (there's one in
the desert
) Though I'm now in Route C and still haven't upgraded one yet. The materials must be in VERY specific places.

Hektor

I'm seriously considering importing the full OST, even though I have the one that came with the Black Box Edition. It's too good, I need the full thing.

The one from the BBE does only have two songs from Automata. It's the live concert which was mostly focused on music from the first Nier.

Is the hacking music dynamic or is there a chance it'll be on the OST?

It's the bonus disc of the OST

Experiment with plug-in chips (buy all the slots) and buy some different pod programs. I bought Mirage personally and wrecked the forest groups in one go. Finding an extra pod works wonders too (there's one in
the desert
) Though I'm now in Route C and still haven't upgraded one yet. The materials must be in VERY specific places.

I found the Bomb programme really good for the forest groups, particularly as the weaker enemies often clump together at the front and once a lot of them die in the initial few hits, the remaining bombs follow wherever you next lock-on as you mop up the rest. Really satisfying :). Very glad I stumbled on that second pod
in the desert
completely by accident.

Philippo

16 hours in, reached
the castle in the forest
, how close i am to the end of Route A?
This game keeps amazing me, wether its a new story or gameplay twist, or simply a new scenery, i am always surprised.

Also, i screamed when
Emil
showed up,

Top Bottom