• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Baalzebup

Finally reached ending A. I was so grossly overleved that ever on Hard I had a stupidly high margin of error. I guess that was to be expected with my obsession of unlocking as many weapon stories as soon as possible.

Neither seems to work. Not able to hack it, and attacking it for 4 minutes straight did nothing too.

Do I have to be in a specific chapter or something?

You cant hack it during
9S/A2's scenario. Hacking machines around the amusement park will make them explode rather than give you the option to remotely control them in that scenario.

wamberz1

Just started this yesterday, only got up to just beating the
amusement park..

This games soundtrack is Fucking Incredible

I'm at 97% side quest completion. Any non spoiler tips on getting the extra content. I heard whisper on hidden bosses. I presume I gotta upgrade every weapon...
Also any tips on getting the npc log filled out for that Reconnaissance Squad quest. Do I gotta kill the guys in the carnival?

Just got to the robot village in Route B. Man the
extra scenes can be a bit startling at first when they first pop-up. Also was the robot opera singer in love with fucking Jean-Paul of all people lol.

Xliskin

Route B
I saw you complaining about how 9S is boring to play with and I completely agree , so any recommendations to make him better

Nick_C

Alright GAF, kinda on the fence about this one. I'm finishing up BotW, playing through Horizon, pre-loading Mass Effect and Persona 5 is out in less than 3 weeks. Thinking about preordering this on PC, but I just don't know.

I'm pretty sure I know what kind of response I'll get, but what does everyone think?

Alright GAF, kinda on the fence about this one. I'm finishing up BotW, playing through Horizon, pre-loading Mass Effect and Persona 5 is out in less than 3 weeks. Thinking about preordering this on PC, but I just don't know.

I'm pretty sure I know what kind of response I'll get, but what does everyone think?

play it.

Can't imagine this not being my goty at this point.

Xliskin

First play what you excited for I guess that's how I do it anyway you can not play them all the same time

I am really liking the game, don't buy it
just because you expected everyone to say buy it. But really you should buy it when you can

It's fantastic, I really can't say enough good things about it. It may not have the technical polish or budget of the above but none of the other GOTY contenders so far for me have had the same kind of soul or demanded the level of engagement that Nier Automata does. Persona 5 may come close from what I hear but they are two very different animals.

Nick_C

First play what you excited for I guess that's how I do it anyway you can not play them all the same time

That's where uncertainty stems from. Mass Effect is out next Tuesday, but the game that I'm most looking forward to play is Persona. Basically, anything between now and then will be an added bonus.

It's fantastic, I really can't say enough good things about it. It may not have the technical polish or budget of the above but none of the other GOTY contenders so far for me have had the same kind of soul or demanded the level of engagement that Nier Automata does. Persona 5 may come close from what I hear but they are two very different animals.

Thanks for this. This is actually one of the more valuable things that was said, as I have a tendency to put gameplay and "heart" above performance and budget. That's not to say that I wouldn't have reservations about a game at constant sub-20 FPS, I'm not a monster.

That being said, anyone have know of any early impressions of the PC version?

If you haven't played a Yoko Taro game, this is the one to start on. And yes it's damn good so I would definitely get it.

Wait how?
Overclock is the one that activates time freeze for each perfect evade right?

Yep. The time slow effects Speed Star too, so if you beeline for an enemy on the path you can dodge for the Overclock effect and then run the race.

Alternatively you can use the Pod program Slow on him to get the same effect. It's cheating sure but that motherfucker is flying, he had it coming.

Ugh, I don't really want to overhype it, because honestly the hype leading up to its release kind of ruined the first couple of hours for me. It wasn't until I settled into side-quests and experimenting with combat and taking the story at my own pace that I really came to appreciate it.

Anyway, I was putting about 1 to 2 hours a day into GTA Online before I picked up NieR (yeah I know, totally unrelated genre or style of game), playing through Gravity Rush 2 in bite-sized segments. I haven't taken Automata out of the PS4 since I got it. On top of that, I'm going through a drawn out move that's going to last another few weeks. Everything else is in storage now. My PS4 + NieR: Automata, and the display are on the floor in the living room to pass the time after work. I'm 10+ hours in and I have no desire to play anything else. It's a prefect blend of character action-based combat and action RPG. Fun little elements I haven't really seen since the PS2/Xbox/GC era. When the dust settles, I think this is going to be a game we will look back on as a gem of this era.

I neglected to mention the music and voice acting, but it is equal to the gameplay and overall package.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
about to finish Horizon, really need this to come out now (well 2 days, not that long now), I need distractions from Zelda, or rather, from the idea of buying a Switch to play Zelda, I simply cannot responsably do that.

So im hoping this holds me over for the next week or so (would last longer but im off work next week so ill play more) and then...I dunno, Rain World on the 28th or something, and by then hopefully my Zelda hype will have died down a bit (especially after 2 open world games back to back in horizon/nier)

Yep. The time slow effects Speed Star too, so if you beeline for an enemy on the path you can dodge for the Overclock effect and then run the race.

Alternatively you can use the Pod program Slow on him to get the same effect. It's cheating sure but that motherfucker is flying, he had it coming.

I only used max movement speed plus a speed salve and just managed to beat him. Can honestly say I would not be able to replicate that outcome again.

Philippo

Is it me or the Castle as a whole is a reference to
[Castlevania
? Even the
A2
boss fight looked like an homage to that style of games.

Zakalwe

Banned
What are your favourite chips? What is the most effective build you've found so far?

I really like shockwave, but I've only found one default level.

-

Also, I didn't realise there was a jump+evade+heavy down attack that's really powerful, I'm sure most of you seasoned action game fans have the combat sussed, but for anyone else check this just in case you missed some of the techniques.

Zakalwe

Banned
Route C.

The sequence where 2B is
infected with the virus and you have to make it to the commercial district
has to be one of the least fun examples of game design.

Sure, they were trying to make the gameplay match the situation, but it's just horrible to actually play.

Route C.

The sequence where 2B is
infected with the virus and you have to make it to the commercial district
has to be one of the least fun examples of game design.

Sure, they were trying to make the gameplay match the situation, but it's just horrible to actually play.

I thought that was great. Really put you in the situation, a dire one for a favored character. Easy enough to figure out how to deal with it after the desperate initial go at it. I love all the different gameplay/scenario shifts in this game.

Zakalwe

Banned
I thought that was great. Really put you in the situation, a dire one for a favored character. Easy enough to figure out how to deal with it after the desperate initial go at it. I love all the different gameplay/scenario shifts in this game.

Some work, some don't. This didn't imo, it's just not fun to force a character to walk or move slowly like this.

The game does this a few times, not every shift is successful imo.

Saying that, I'm glad it tries, when it works it's great.

Philippo

Is 128 the limit for chip capacity?
I'm already full and i keep finding amazing chips that costs like 26...
And i still haven't fully understood how fusion works.

I think that was definitely intended yeah.

Asking because sometimes im so oblivious to this stuff lol

Should have been set at night to make it more obvious.

Yep.
Also i expected it to go
upside down
at some point.

Jiraiza

Is 128 the limit for chip capacity?
I'm already full and i keep finding amazing chips that costs like 26...
And i still haven't fully understood how fusion works.

Asking because sometimes im so oblivious to this stuff lol

Yep.
Also i expected it to go
upside down
at some point.

You gotta farm for the low-cost chips. They're the ones with the black diamonds next to the name. And trust me when I say the grind is not fun.

Hektor

got an unexpected free evening

will be home in around an hour

i can feel it, this will be the day when i manage to finish the first mission

We-Believe-in-You.jpg

Top Bottom