• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Jiraiza

NieR-Automata-Yoko-Taro-Message_02-17-17.jpg

Do we really?

Philippo

You gotta farm for the low-cost chips. They're the ones with the black diamonds next to the name. And trust me when I say the grind is not fun.

That's a shame, i'd love to get higher level and cheaper chips, but if it's that much effort, i'm set with what i already got.

Xliskin

Not straight away, you can get the last Pod in an area you have to unlock via main missions. It'll open up about 2/3rds of the way through your first time.

I'm in route B and so far
it's the same as route A
so which area are you talking about un less it's an area exclusive to route B or something

I'm in route B and so far
it's the same as route A
so which area are you talking about un less it's an area exclusive to route B or something

Ah ok, go fishing in the
Flooded City
. Specifically in the area right next to the school bus and light post. After a few casts you should get it.

Mockerre

Just finished the game and... meh? Had such expectations for this one.

It's neither linear, nor open-world, but it's the worst of both worlds, at the same time boring, barren and constrained. Lots of fetchquest, samey encounters, locations reused ad nauseam.

The combat... is ok? Prone to button mashing. The mechanics are superfluous, you don't really need to bother with chips and items or changing gear (though I did change it for the looks). Playing on normal here, btw.

The story arc is great, but the storytelling not so much. And no, I'm not going to replay the game to get the full story either ;)

I also had some annoying target lock issues.

The aesthetic and music are great.

The story arc is great, but the storytelling not so much. And no, I'm not going to replay the game to get the full story either ;)

Oh, so you didn't finish the game. That makes sense.

I'm not just being pithy, if you only saw the first ending you've actually played only around half the game. There are other playable characters and entirely new game and combat mechanics that haven't been introduced yet. You can't even get an entire weapon class until New Game+.

Arkeband

Banned
That's ideal. For the chips marked with the diamond, I would just fuse those with each other and not with any of the non-diamond ones.

Sometimes fusing a perfect chip (black diamond) with one that is only one cost more results in the next level chip also being perfect, but it depends on the chip.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

It's neither linear, nor open-world, but it's the worst of both worlds, at the same time boring, barren and constrained. Lots of fetchquest, samey encounters, locations reused ad nauseam.

The combat... is ok? Prone to button mashing. The mechanics are superfluous, you don't really need to bother with chips and items or changing gear (though I did change it for the looks). Playing on normal here, btw.

Basically you get some different perspectives to what you played, different story after and gameplay changes on Route B C D .

The routes should been named as Arcs to be honest since people seem to be confused by it.

Is there a complete weapon list or something? I'm stuck at 97%, and the last weapon I need isn't in the wiki either.

You don't need to "replay the game".
You play the first route from another perspective, with a new mechanic thrown in, and changes gradually rising.
And afterwards you continue the story normally.

LotusHD

Banned

The combat... is ok? Prone to button mashing. The mechanics are superfluous, you don't really need to bother with chips and items or changing gear (though I did cyhange it for the looks). Playing on normal here, btw.

Are you saying you only got Ending A...

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

There's still half of the game to go. You should consider going back to it

I mean, if you don't like the game enough to keep playing it, then sure stop playing, but you basically just did the tutorial.

So I'm interested in this game.. I've checked videos and impressions.. But I still don't have a handle on the game. All I get is ARPG. So does that mean like SoulsBorne type of game with difficulty?

Hektor

So I'm interested in this game.. I've checked videos and impressions.. But I still don't have a handle on the game. All I get is ARPG. So does that mean like SoulsBorne type of game with difficulty?

More comparable to something like Witcher 3 but smaller in content, world size, production value in favor of better combat and very unique ideas like shmup elements

Mockerre

To all those snarky comments about finishing the game :D
The story is actually the least of my gripes, as I said, the arc was great.

Lets put it this way:
I like Japanese games. I like anime. I like this type of games. I like the first Nier.

I struggled to complete the first playthrough. The content was so repetitive and the quest mind-numbingly mundane and the combat just didn't connect with me.

To put it in another way: I've played the game for 12h and visited the same factory four times... I can't see myself playing through this again.

And please, don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the game. I had high hopes and really tried to like it. I also get that if you adore the combat, playing through the same area for X times doesn't feel like a chore. God knows how many times I went through Undead Burg or any of the locations from Souls games.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

Lets put it this way:
I like Japanese games. I like anime. I like this type of games. I like the first Nier.

I struggled to complete the first playthrough. The content was so repetitive and the quest mind-numbingly mundane and the combat just didn't connect with me.

To put it in another way: I've played the game for 12h and visited the same factory four times... I can't see myself playing through this again.

And please, don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing the game. I had high hopes and really tried to like it. I also get that if you adore the combat, playing through the same area for X times doesn't feel like a chore. God knows how many times I went through Undead Burg or any of the locations from Souls games.

It's cool if you want to stop but you really haven't played most of the game. Truly and seriously you're less than halfway. You shouldn't keep playing if you don't want to but don't get the impression you're anywhere near the end of the game. A lot of the best stuff is yet to come

You still have (content spoilers)
two unqiue playable characters, another new location, unique playable sections, basically the entire story of the game hasn't happened yet,
a number of new bosses, the game's true ending is also very special and unique as well

Opening mission on hard claims another victim.

nierinterview_03_cs1w1_720x_thumb.jpg

What difficulty are you playing, you should change to normal or easy until you reach a save point.

You might not be too stubborn to change it for much longer..

Do we really?

to all you people who doubted me

I have officially beaten the first level on hard

did it on my first attempt of the day in fact

only took me 7:15 hours in total D:

the rest of the game will be a cakewalk NOW THAT I CAN SAVE MY GAME

thank you, your belief in me gave me strength

Eklesp

5th boss
after Adam and Eve. Got transporter and ladder up. The hole still shows as my destination. Have been doing side quests but not sure where the next main quest location is.

nOoblet16

I thought the same i.e. the game wants me to replay it to get proper ending but I was wrong. Half of route B is new stuff and the other half has extra exposition, there are also gameplay changes. Route C is completely new and is actually truly the 2nd act of the game as it follows up from right where route A and B end. It's also a big departure from Route A/B thematically, gameplay wise and also in terms of story. Route A is like prologue and first chapter, Route B provides exposition to that, and Route C is actually the core story.

Your feeling of "that's it?" is suppose to happen after finishing Route A. You are missing out on like 70% of the content by stopping now.

Also it's neither linear nor open world but it does not make it the "worst of both worlds" infact it has an interconnected map exactly like Dark Souls does...that's not bad.

Razmos

5th boss
after Adam and Eve. Got transporter and ladder up. The hole still shows as my destination. Have been doing side quests but not sure where the next main quest location is.
Return to the bunker. Pretty sure it says it in the menu somewhere but I can't remember where. I think just on the main pause screen

maskrider

Is there a complete weapon list or something? I'm stuck at 97%, and the last weapon I need isn't in the wiki either.

There are, but in Japanese. Like this site

http://wiki3.h1g.jp/nierautomata/

Here is the 100% weapons list that I have

Small Swords
- Faith
- Iron Pipe
- Beastbane
- Phoenix Dagger
- Ancient Overlord
- Type-40 Sword
- Type-3 Sword
- Virtuous Contract
- Cruel Oath
- YoRHa-issue Blade
- Machine Sword
- Engine Blade
- Cypress Stick

Large Swords
- Iron Will
- Fang of the Twins
- Beastlord
- Phoenix Sword
- Type-40 Blade
- Type-3 Blade
- Virtuous Treaty
- Cruel Blood Oath
- Machine Axe

Spears
- Phoenix Lance
- Beastcurse
- Dragon Lance
- Spear of the Usurper
- Type-40 Lance
- Type-3 Lance
- Virtuous Dignity
- Cruel Arrogance
- Machine Spear

Combat Bracers
- Bare Fists
- Angel's Folly
- Demon's Cry
- Type-40 Fists
- Type-3 Fists
- Virtuous Grief
- Cruel Lament
- Machine Heads
- Emil Heads

What exactly do you get when you retrieve a dead player's corpse? Are those little stat boosts like health +5 all chips or temporary stat boosts? I probably missed that when they explained it.
Also, can you find the weapons that are for sale in the world too or are they only available in the shops?

Lets put it this way:

They're not trying to be snarky, they're worried you might not understand the concepts of the game and that you're missing out on a huge portion of it.

Philippo

Lets put it this way:

I'm 17 hours into Route A (not yet finished) and i'm having the complete opposite experience:
I never felt any kind of repetitivity: i visited ruined cities, desert areas, amusement parks and forest, villages and dungeons, all with hidden spots and small enviromental puzzles. They are all visually appealing (considering the limited prowess of the title), with great camera works highlighting the cool spots. Not once i felt bored going through them. And this is also thanks to how amazing the movement is, i was fine with backtracking even before unlocking fast travel.

I actually think it's world structure is a strenght: similar to Ocarina of Time, it doesn't loose itself in side content to the point of detracting from the main quest, but at the same time it gives you the possibility to move at your own pace and dwelve into actually interesting quests.

The combat is great, while sure Normal mode doesn't really urges you to get the better out of them, it makes up for it in the RPG department giving you lots of possibilities, both active and passive. Idk man, pretty much every other J-ARPG pales in comparison. I mean, you even played OG NieR lol. Maybe turn it up to Hard?

The sidequests, while fetch-y, are mostly incredibly well written, all capable of telling a story, which can be happy and fun, sad or simply to add more lore to the world. If you compare their writing to most of the industry, i think only TW3 tops them (and it's mostly because of budget reasons), and even then NieR's sidequests pack a much heavier emotional punch imho.
Just to name a few,
Father Servo, the amusement park ticket, 11B's memoirs, the Wandering Couple, Jean-Paul's fangirls, the dying Goliath, the treasure hunt in the Castle
, hardly ever i meet sidequests with so much personality.

It's a shame the game hasn't clicked with you, because even if everyone else says that Route B and C are the real meat of the game, there's no reason to insist with a game you don't like.

maskrider

What exactly do you get when you retrieve a dead player's corpse? Are those little stat boosts like health +5 all chips or temporary stat boosts? I probably missed that when they explained it.
Also, can you find the weapons that are for sale in the world too or are they only available in the shops?

You get money, the stats boost are temporary, you will see icons below your health bar when there are boosts, they flash when they are about to be expired.

There are many shops, some only unlock after sub-quests.

You get money, the stats boost are temporary, you will see icons below your health bar when there are boosts, they flash when they are about to be expired.

There are many shops, some only unlock after sub-quests.

Ah, I see, thanks!
For the weapons, I meant if you can find the weapons that are for sale in the overworld too instead of having to buy them. For example, I've found a longsword and a spear so far, so I'd rather not spend my money on weapons if they can be found in the world too.

Vigamox

Lets put it this way:

I don't understand this mentality. If you don't want to revisit the same area X times but you enjoy the story, just stop doing the sidequests and play through the story. Yes, the story will occasionally lead you back to the same areas, but there will be new content there at least.

maskrider

Ah, I see, thanks!
For the weapons, I meant if you can find the weapons that are for sale in the overworld too instead of having to buy them. For example, I've found a longsword and a spear so far, so I'd rather not spend my money on weapons if they can be found in the world too.

Some are only from shops, some from sub-quests, some from chests. I have never farmed for money, I simply follow the main story and play the sub-quests and I already have enough money to buy stuffs (and some money from stuffs that are meant for selling).

Wagram

I don't understand this mentality. If you don't want to revisit the same area X times but you enjoy the story, just stop doing the sidequests and play through the story. Yes, the story will occasionally lead you back to the same areas, but there will be new content there at least.

He has a legitimate gripe I think. Automata is a good game, with a decent story, but the backtracking from both the side quests and main scenario harm it. It's probably the biggest fault I can put towards the game. It's lacking areas.

Top Bottom