• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
He has a legitimate gripe I think. Automata is a good game, with a decent story, but the backtracking from both the side quests and main scenario harm it. It's probably the biggest fault I can put towards the game. It's lacking areas.

What I found kinda grating was
how much you had to go to the factory

Mockerre

I don't understand this mentality. If you don't want to revisit the same area X times but you enjoy the story, just stop doing the sidequests and play through the story. Yes, the story will occasionally lead you back to the same areas, but there will be new content there at least.

The gameplay wasn't fun for me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The gameplay wasn't fun for me.

yeah if one doesnt like platinum melee combat the game would not be for them, but i think you'd have to know going in its DMC esque to enjoy it.

He has a legitimate gripe I think. Automata is a good game, with a decent story, but the backtracking from both the side quests and main scenario harm it. It's probably the biggest fault I can put towards the game. It's lacking areas.

It felt like they made an open world, did not have enough budget afterward and so tried to reuse as much of it as they could with the story beats.

I think they did a decent job considering their budget was probably pretty low

BriGuy

What exactly do you get when you retrieve a dead player's corpse? Are those little stat boosts like health +5 all chips or temporary stat boosts? I probably missed that when they explained it.
Also, can you find the weapons that are for sale in the world too or are they only available in the shops?
The stat boosts are temporary. After you pick them up, a little microchip icon appears under your health. It lasts like 30 or 60 seconds before blinking and disappearing. Weapons in shops are only available in those shops.

Eklesp

Return to the bunker. Pretty sure it says it in the menu somewhere but I can't remember where. I think just on the main pause screen

Wow, thanks. Seriously did not notice the main quest listed right in the menu, have been looking under Quests heading.

What level are you? Route A/B?

My advise is to leave that quest till the last possible moment, and do it on Route B.

Yeah I will leave it until I unlock
chapter select
and level up a bit more and get more hacking chips (I am on Route B but kinda just want to progress through the story now instead). Thanks.

LotusHD

Banned
I thought the same i.e. the game wants me to replay it to get proper ending but I was wrong. Half of route B is new stuff and the other half has extra exposition, there are also gameplay changes. Route C is completely new and is actually truly the 2nd act of the game as it follows up from right where route A and B end. It's also a big departure from Route A/B thematically, gameplay wise and also in terms of story. Route A is like prologue and first chapter, Route B provides exposition to that, and Route C is actually the core story.

Your feeling of "that's it?" is suppose to happen after finishing Route A. You are missing out on like 70% of the content by stopping now.

Also it's neither linear nor open world but it does not make it the "worst of both worlds" infact it has an interconnected map exactly like Dark Souls does...that's not bad.

The funny thing about beating the game is that it makes the previous routes even better lol

Also I mean, not everyone has to love the combat, but damn, if I compare it to other open world games, it's pretty high up there to say the least...

Just finished the game and... meh? Had such expectations for this one.

It's neither linear, nor open-world, but it's the worst of both worlds, at the same time boring, barren and constrained. Lots of fetchquest, samey encounters, locations reused ad nauseam.

The combat... is ok? Prone to button mashing. The mechanics are superfluous, you don't really need to bother with chips and items or changing gear (though I did change it for the looks). Playing on normal here, btw.

The story arc is great, but the storytelling not so much. And no, I'm not going to replay the game to get the full story either ;)

I also had some annoying target lock issues.

The aesthetic and music are great.

Maybe return to it in a few months once the disappointment has subsided and try Route B and see what you think then? Sorry that you didn't like it, but these things happen.

There are, but in Japanese. Like this site

http://wiki3.h1g.jp/nierautomata/

Here is the 100% weapons list that I have

Small Swords
- Faith
- Iron Pipe
- Beastbane
- Phoenix Dagger
- Ancient Overlord
- Type-40 Sword
- Type-3 Sword
- Virtuous Contract
- Cruel Oath
- YoRHa-issue Blade
- Machine Sword
- Engine Blade
- Cypress Stick

Large Swords
- Iron Will
- Fang of the Twins
- Beastlord
- Phoenix Sword
- Type-40 Blade
- Type-3 Blade
- Virtuous Treaty
- Cruel Blood Oath
- Machine Axe

Spears
- Phoenix Lance
- Beastcurse
- Dragon Lance
- Spear of the Usurper
- Type-40 Lance
- Type-3 Lance
- Virtuous Dignity
- Cruel Arrogance
- Machine Spear

Combat Bracers
- Bare Fists
- Angel's Folly
- Demon's Cry
- Type-40 Fists
- Type-3 Fists
- Virtuous Grief
- Cruel Lament
- Machine Heads
- Emil Heads

Is there anywhere that says where to get these? I have only seen 1 weapon out in the wild, and a handful at the vendors.

Hektor

400 pages for people with 50 posts per page.

So we still have a good 200 more to go

this has now sold about 260,000 copies in Japan alone

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-15/japan-video-game-rankings-march-6-12/.113472

This is defo gonna crack a million

So I beat the game.

Question:

Is it supposed to just... end? Like, with zero closure?

Did you beat it or did you beat it?

The first credits are not the end of the game

I'm not getting the love as much as the reviews gave but I'm enjoying it. It's different. Although coming from Horizon to this was a bit of an eye opener in the graphics department. It's not terrible and has its own charm but it's glaring the difference from one to another. It has some issues but nothing too bad. It's fun on the whole.

I've completed A and B and on to the next play through. I thought maybe B would be a little too samey but I liked it and it was cool seeing it from a new angle. C is certainly mixing it up. Can't wait to see where this takes me and what comes next.

Regarding sales, game is not yet back in stock at Amazon (nm: it is, was third party seller out of stock) and apparently is second among Steam top-sellers. The oft-stated enthusiasm for the original Nier experience, mixed with great reviews and a dash of 2B might be adding up.

Freeman76

Just got to the forest. Not sure how far it is but Im enjoying the game a lot. It has plenty of little grindy elements which I like in these games. The sidequests are a bit finnicky, I have a couple where they are complete but the quest giver acts like I havent done them so I cant hand in, I assume this will be ok as I can do them again in next playthrough?

DKF590

Just got to the forest. Not sure how far it is but Im enjoying the game a lot. It has plenty of little grindy elements which I like in these games. The sidequests are a bit finnicky, I have a couple where they are complete but the quest giver acts like I havent done them so I cant hand in, I assume this will be ok as I can do them again in next playthrough?

You can finish them in the next playthrough for sure, but I never ran into that issue. Any chance you can give an example? Maybe you missed something simple.

Freeman76

You can finish them in the next playthrough for sure, but I never ran into that issue. Any chance you can give an example? Maybe you missed something simple.

The memoirs quest for 11b, trying to hand in to 16b and she just says "I hate to ask......"

The sidequest in Pascals village for Jean Paul, I spoke to both fans, got both items but he doesnt acknowledge the second one.

So I beat A route, but I kinda stumbled onto the ending, and onto the point where I was locked out of several sidequests, is there anyway to do them without having to start a fresh save file?

So I beat A route, but I kinda stumbled onto the ending, and onto the point where I was locked out of several sidequests, is there anyway to do them without having to start a fresh save file?
Route b you'll have your chance to clean up what you missed.

How do you get the Desert photo? When I get close there's a massive sand storm and invisible wall I couldn't get through to it.
You have to come in at it from the right, there's like path that leads you into it.

Ah cheers everyone. Too late now to get it I think but oh well, it was bugging me lol

And those Resistance peeps didn't stay true to their word and give me my money back (though I probably never finished their quest off).

Top Bottom