• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

Audioboxer

Ah, good old Nier switching up 2D/3D top down and side scroller in the space of 30 mins lol.

I've missed this.

But, I am missing Weiss :(

Audioboxer

I would have loved a voice pack for him, but it totally would have killed the atmosphere lol.

I've got a Weiss pod skin, but it's not the same lol. I seriously hope Nier gets a remaster one day. I seen prices of it the other day, lol 2nd hand market has gone up a bit. Dat hype. I assume a fairly low print for it as well.

Samikaze

I've got a Weiss pod skin, but it's not the same lol. I seriously hope Neir gets a remaster one day. I seen prices of it the other day, lol 2nd hand market has gone up a bit. Dat hype. I assume a fairly low print for it as well.

Same. I used it for a little bit. I liked how they animated it to be like Weiss too, with it opening to shoot.

I still have my copy. Also got it used in like 2012 or 2013.
I remember asking the cashier if he had tried it. His reply: "Nah, and it looks kinda cheap. At least you're only spending $7 on it, if it does suck."

Audioboxer

Same. I used it for a little bit. I liked how they animated it to be like Weiss too, with it opening to shoot.

I still have my copy. Also got it used in like 2012 or 2013.
I remember asking the cashier if he had tried it. His reply: "Nah, and it looks kinda cheap. At least you're only spending $7 on it, if it does suck."

LOL. Yeah I got it cheapish too. UK pricing isn't too bad just now, £30-40 second hand. I mean, new it was like £7-10 for ages back in the day.

Ok someone help me.

Near the central ruins there is a red ??? On top of the corner of a building. I believe this is one of those machines that you hack because they are standing sround thinking about the meaning of life. But hes not on the roof.

Does anyone remember how to get to him?

Ok someone help me.

Near the central ruins there is a red ??? On top of the corner of a building. I believe this is one of those machines that you hack because they are standing sround thinking about the meaning of life. But hes not on the roof.

Does anyone remember how to get to him?

Not sure if it's the one you mean but for one of those I had to climb this nearby tower and jump off from it to reach that machine.

Speaking of quests that are hard to get to, what is up with this quest?

KlAVyDk.jpg

It looks like it's on the end of this crumbled bridge, but there's just a group of machines there and as far as I can tell
hacking
them isn't the answer.

Edit: damn it, it's that dumb racing bot and I guess he's not there sometimes.

Speed Star is easily the buggiest quest. If he's not driving round in circles by the ramp next to Engels, just reload your save and he'll be there.

Ubernube

After canceling ME preorder, I am think about getting this game. How does the story compare to the first game?

Pretty damn different enough to the point it's difficult to compare the two, since they basically aim for different things (since Yoko does not like doing the same thing twice). I'd say Automata is less emotional, more existential and philosophical, though when it feels like throwing an emotional gut punch it can do a pretty good job of that as well, particularly in Route C.

It really depends on what you liked about the original Nier's story. If you're looking for a game that viciously tears at your heart strings whenever it can, you might be a little disappointed, at least until Route C.

After canceling ME preorder, I am think about getting this game. How does the story compare to the first game?

Hard to compare storywise to NieR 1 since they're both going for something really different, but I loved Automata's story. It's not better or worse than the first game, it's different. Good different.

Even after 20 hours, I still forget where places are in the main hub. I think this wouldn't be a problem if they had a simple compass so I would always knows the desert is to the NE ect.

Dammit Pascal, why are your villagers not immortal! I'm sorry mother machine, I didn't mean it...

I meant to kill the kid behind the hack door though. Fuck him.

Philippo

Lord of the Abyss (or whatever its called in eng): we
kaiju
now! I've played the section on Vita and now both my thumbs hurt :(

Also, finally visited
Emil's shop
, this was unexpected! The guy's just as wacky as ever, i love him.

Re: losing all my chips for the first time: i am still salty as fuck and it will ruin my sleep, but this is at the very least teaching me how to fuse better ones and to try different chips from before.

So about fishing, how does it work?

Is it safe to sell anything I catch or will I need them for quests later?

Is it at all possible to lose a fish after they bite?

Is there anything like the leveling system in the first game or is any fish catchable as soon as you come by its fishing spot?

Fishing seems very simplified compared to the first game

Jesus Christ, hard mode is brutal. I can't even get past the first level without dying. And then I have to start over from the beginning because I have no idea how to save. I don't remember the demo being this difficult. The boss just one shotted me with one of those damn red orbs. Oh and I don't know how to enable the auto health recovery either.

Fuck it. I'm gonna bump this down to normal.

Jesus Christ, hard mode is brutal. I can't even get past the first level without dying. And then I have to start over from the beginning because I have no idea how to save. I don't remember the demo being this difficult. The boss just one shotted me with one of those damn red orbs. Oh and I don't know how to enable the auto health recovery either.

I was too stubborn to go down to normal. I needed over 7 hours to beat the first level on hard

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Basically play normal until you are allowed to save. LOL

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hard to compare storywise to NieR 1 since they're both going for something really different, but I loved Automata's story. It's not better or worse than the first game, it's different. Good different.

THis pretty much

if your going into this expecting it to tackle the same narrative emotional beats you'll be disappointed

Wagram

It depends really. It's definitely trying something different. For me personally, i've stated before I like the story less than Nier and Drakengard 3 mainly because of the main characters being Androids and the impact that has on the story. It's a lot less personal than Papa Nier and Zero and their individual stories. However, there's really good messaging and themes brought up in Automata. I think it being better or worse is definitely going to vary individual to individual rather than an overall consensus.

Lum1n3s

SO after 3hrs and 30 minutes trying to get through the first boss in the game, I managed to do so and boy I couldn't be proud of myself (playing it in Hard mode for the first time.) I guess overcoming it made me appreciate the game even more and I'm loving it. The OST though... is like out of this world man.

Exentryk

SO after 3hrs and 30 minutes trying to get through the first boss in the game, I managed to do so and boy I couldn't be proud of myself (playing it in Hard mode for the first time.) I guess overcoming it made me appreciate the game even more and I'm loving it. The OST though... is like out of this world man.

YBF2jHY.gif

Be proud!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is an amazing game. As has been mentioned already, but really cannot be stressed enough, the opening hour of Route C is just a jaw-dropper.

Inuhanyou

i dont think its wise to try and half spoil people and hype them up, that just means more people will be let down with all the other people saying "OMG the twists are best thing ever!"

They are expecting something explosive and while the events are in line with YT's pedigree, its going to mean different things to different people in both a good and bad sense

psychotron

For at least the first half of route A, I have to say I wasn't feeling the game. Then out of nowhere it hit and I'm loving it. Now on route B I'm actually enjoying it even more. I'm also flying through it a lot faster than route A.

Inuhanyou

For at least the first half of route A, I have to say I wasn't feeling the game. Then out of nowhere it hit and I'm loving it. Now on route B I'm actually enjoying it even more. I'm also flying through it a lot faster than route A.

if you dont mind me asking, what wasnt clicking?

Top Bottom