• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

i dont think its wise to try and half spoil people and hype them up, that just means more people will be let down with all the other people saying "OMG the twists are best thing ever!"

They are expecting something explosive and while the events are in line with YT's pedigree, its going to mean different things to different people in both a good and bad sense

I agree.
The whole reason the route C trailer/opening/titledrop worked for me was because it came out of nowhere. It completely subverted my expectations.

If I had known that C was going to be a direct continuation of A/B with many hours of content, it wouldn't have hit me as hard.

I know we're all eager to get people hyped about a game we love, but the sort of disappointed "that's it?" feeling, I think, is an intentional part of the experience.

Baalzebup

Jesus Christ at this music that popped when I tackled the Vengeful Child. I don't want to leave the area since I have no idea when and where I can pick up the item to listen to this track at the jukebox. ;_;

psychotron

if you dont mind me asking, what wasnt clicking?

I was really annoyed with the performance. Lots of stuttering that wasn't in the demo, even playing on Pro. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the game world streaming as it lessened when I put it on my 7200rpm external drive. At least it seemed to do so, but I may have just become adjusted to it.

I had a lot of trouble with the map and general waypoints. Half the time I had no idea what I should be doing. I eventually figured it out and put a manual marker on the main quest locations, even though I don't think we really should have to.

I guess it just took me a while to connect with the characters, but it eventually happened. Now on route B, I'm free to just enjoy it. There's also things on route B that I think would have made me like A more had they been there, without going into spoiler territory.

LotusHD

Banned
i dont think its wise to try and half spoil people and hype them up, that just means more people will be let down with all the other people saying "OMG the twists are best thing ever!"

They are expecting something explosive and while the events are in line with YT's pedigree, its going to mean different things to different people in both a good and bad sense

This. Y'all hyped me up for Route C's opening, and it definitely impacted my expectations. So... chill with that.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Getting my PS4 online is super convoluted with my current setup, plus redundant because I don't have PS+. Fuck this trash - I didn't pay for a mandatory online game.

I dont actually think you need PS+ for this game for the online functions or connecting...but i might be wrong

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This. Y'all hyped me up for Route C's opening, and it definitely impacted my expectations. So... chill with that.

I disagree. To me its no more spoilery than stressing that you need to play Nier's NG+ mode to get the full experience. Its also "buried" a lot deeper in terms of potential playtime to reach (over 40 hours in my case) so I think on balance hyping it up some is justified.

YBF2jHY.gif

Be proud!

I'm assuming they mean "Couldn't be prouder"?

Oh man Route C is real interesting for me so far. The part with
Pascals village getting slaughtered and then the children committing suicide was depressing

LotusHD

Banned
I disagree. To me its no more spoilery than stressing that you need to play Nier's NG+ mode to get the full experience. Its also "buried" a lot deeper in terms of potential playtime to reach (over 40 hours in my case) so I think on balance hyping it up some is justified.

I didn't say it was spoilery. Just that it can play a role. Then again I think I did it too, so guess I can't talk lol

HeelPower

Yea it's a little tedious to travel through, but everything is connected in a way that makes sense. And yea, I'm happy that if anything, it's not one of those open worl ds that boast about its size. Also has a fair bit of cool shit to find, so that's neat as well.

I just came here to say how messy it feels, lol. I'd prefer a linear game like Metal Gear Rising over the psuedo-open world they have here. It's like the Mario 64/Sunshine hubs, only in this weird JRPG/Action game hybrid, and it feels very out of place to me.

Also, lack of auto-save is killing me. I just lost to
white cube wielding Adam
and have to go all the way back through
that stupid city again
instead of hitting a retry button... this is frustration I haven't felt since a few generations ago.

I'm not liking this game as much as most people are. I'm still expecting a "what a twist" moment, though.

I love the open world for a number of reasons.

The music bleeds in and out of the scenery.

The machines are lovely.

2B is a bliss to control and has no limits on her stamina.

The consistent but weird internal logic of the game.

Dominator

I bought this game a few weeks before launch on PSN, haven't had a chance to play yet. Been so swamped with work and what ever chance I get to play games I've been playing Zelda in bed, but dammit do I want to play this. I think I'm gonna put Zelda aside this weekend and really dive into this.

I love the open world for a number of reasons.

The music bleeds in and out of the scenery.

The machines are lovely.

2B is a bliss to control and has no limits on her stamina.

The consistent but weird internal logic of the game.

That's honestly how I feel, is that 2B is such a dream to control that it makes traversing very fun regardless.

It should not be called Ending A, it should be called Chapter A.

The way things are structured is almost certainly meant to subvert the expectations of those who played the first game. Creating the illusion of a branching route system that all end up in roughly the same spot, like the first Nier, is vital to that.

FrankWza

Any of the
machine weapons
worth buying or is it better to just level up?

Also, is it best just to sell all those machine cores? Is the rule whenever it says "can be exchanged for money" it not needed for anything?

Samikaze

Thanks

What are the best weapons to level?

Guess it depends on your preferred play style, but my favorites were the Type-40 Spear and the Android's starting short swords.

Swords were great for quick slashes, and the maxed out type-40 did additional electrical damage on top of around 1,000 dmg

Exodust

Banned
Just started this game.

Man, I love how the game seamlessly switches up genres while still being a JRPG. Platinum realizing Yoko Taro's vision this time around means I'll probably end up liking this more than the first one. So many cool little meta things so far.

Also, dat
Robot orgy!

FrankWza

Engine Blade for the swag. Other than that, it really doesn't matter. I guess the Ancient Overlord one was cool because of crit and creating shockwaves once fully leveled up.

I maxed out Engine Blade and Phoenix Spear. Loved the moveset on that combination.

Guess it depends on your preferred play style, but my favorites were the Type-40 Spear and the Android's starting short swords.

Swords were great for quick slashes, and the maxed out type-40 did additional electrical damage on top of around 1,000 dmg

Cool ill check it out. Thanks all

FHIZ

Got ending A, just humming "become as gods" over and over to myself.

Has there been an official OST release for this game yet? All I'm seeing are shoddy rips.

Ending E significant spoilers.

Do you guys feel the impact of the moment is destroyed by backing up your save? Did many of you guys backup your save?

Sami+

Hmm, I have a question about the stagger mechanics. I'm fighting
Father Servo
on Hard and he's easy enough since I can just outrange him pretty much, but even my heaviest weapons rn (early game) don't seem to stagger him when I'm counter attacking, so I can't really combo. Do I need to level up, or use an attack up?

Samikaze

Do you guys feel the impact of the moment is destroyed by backing up your save? Did many of you guys backup your save?

I backed it up earlier but after making that choice I went ahead and deleted it.
Yeah I think that keeping it really diminishes the impact.

For ending D
will the chapter select put you at the start of the A2 vs 9S fight, or you have to go through the whole tower again?

Nope.

Just select the fight again and choose the other character.

Yes to the first,
ending is too special to cheat it
. And no,
I deliberately refrained from backup even with an empty usb stick already connected

Really looking forward to a
fresh start with new appreciation for 2B

Question about the overall "message" of the games story

So.. In the end this was all about getting a consciousness, thinking for yourself and make your own future? The machines were created for war, but evolved and wanted to be different. They started to question their own existence. The Androids only had one job, killing the machines and protecting the humans (which are long erased - they didn't knew about that). In the end, even the Pods started to be aware of an own will, and that's why they restored 2b and 9s, hoping they will create a new future and having an own will. The machines (or their consciousness) are now traveling through space, looking for some kind of evolution. Do I understand this right?

remz

Hmm, I have a question about the stagger mechanics. I'm fighting
Father Servo
on Hard and he's easy enough since I can just outrange him pretty much, but even my heaviest weapons rn (early game) don't seem to stagger him when I'm counter attacking, so I can't really combo. Do I need to level up, or use an attack up?

From memory that enemy is somewhat stagger resistant, which is probably why you're having trouble.

Attacking and levelling doesn't, afaik effect whether or not you stagger someone, although certain attacks have a higher chance (countering, heavy weapon strikes) of staggering than others. Some later game weapons have a "stun" ability that makes staggering really easy.

If you wanna combo you can do a launcher by pressing jump+heavy attack really fast. But it only works if an enemy has taken x amount of stun damage/they're in their juggle state. Dunno if it works on that enemy because I finished his quest ages ago and can't remember.

Top Bottom